• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
rare's n64 games, and meaningless collect-a-thons in general, are among the most overrated thing in video gaming

it's like someone at rare made a bunch of giant, pretty levels first, then didn't really know what to do with them so the designers just threw objects all over the place and said "THERE, NOW THERE'S GAMEPLAY". even the racing game had these to lengthen their games. THE RACING GAME

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
Somehow i never played it. please-dont-hurt-me

EDIT: I have been trying to get through my backlog lately, maybe I'll pick up a copy.
Neither have I just banjo-tooie.

Is basically DK64 but better. DK64 is a clone, both are even by rare.

rare's n64 games, and meaningless collect-a-thons in general, are among the most overrated thing in video gaming

it's like someone at rare made a bunch of giant, pretty levels first, then didn't really know what to do with them so the designers just threw objects all over the place and said "THERE, NOW THERE'S GAMEPLAY". even the racing game had these to lengthen their games. THE RACING GAME
See? Lol

He is right though, remember this

Well except Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Also in terms of old games vs. nostalgia, I recommend people go back and try and play FF6, really keeping your mind open to criticizing everything that's going on. It's really not as good of a game as I had it held up to be in my head. Chrono Trigger is by far the more timeless classic.
While I agree they are fantastic games (especially CT), FF6 and Chrono Trigger just felt way too easy to me.

Then again, my first real JRPG was SMT: Nocturne.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
I like to imagine game mechanics having a similar parallel to melody in music. While there are many factors in music, nobody every forgets a memorable melody line. I can still recall the entire Halo theme start to finish, despite having only briefly played the first one. I am sure there are still others who can never forget the Moon level theme in Ducktales. These songs, in a sense, are timeless due to their ability to stay with someone throughout time, always sticking in someone's head long enough to the point where people are searching on YouTube for the songs long after they have been made. Even though new music is made to accommodate new games, timeless music is never forgotten.

Likewise, I believe that game mechanics, very similar to melody lines, can become timeless. I always see people saying that they still play and adore SM64, despite being released nearly 20 years ago on far inferior hardware. A similar situation is seen with Chrono Trigger, and, having played it myself, I understand why. Good game mechanics, just like good melody lines, are never forgotten. They stay with a person throughout time, because that mechanic created a great deal of fun for that person, and having fun is what games are all about. FPS's today are constantly improving upon the mechanics set forth by Doom, which in a sense makes Doom a timeless game. Various ports and mods are still being made for Doom today, despite Doom being a very old game made in the days of DOS-BOX. The memory of Doom carries on in the spirit of FPS's. People may forget where game mechanics come from, but they will never forget what was enjoyable.

New games are made to improve upon the mechanics introduced in old games, just like how new music is made to improve their melodic structures. What it is that makes a good game good? And likewise, what makes good music good? By my definition, a good game has good mechanics, and good music has a good, memorable melody. Sure, old games eventually die out because of how old they are, but I never forget that game and how much fun I had with it. It's why I still have my N64, my SNES, my PS2, and my libraries of all three.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Are we talking about old games?

Can I put it out there that I pretty much only played MK:Trilogy, Star Fox 64, SSB64, and OoT (I'll check my N64 games again) for most of my childhood. I went straight from N64 -> Wii, I really wanted to get Melee though, never got it. Played Star Fox 64 so many times to go through the different kinds of levels, those tanks and water levels were awesome. More rambling inserted here.

I can't put it out there? Okey.

Alakaslam

Smash Ace

Can I put it out there that I pretty much only played MK:Trilogy, Star Fox 64, SSB64, and OoT (I'll check my N64 games again) for most of my childhood. I went straight from N64 -> Wii, I really wanted to get Melee though, never got it. Played Star Fox 64 so many times to go through the different kinds of levels, those tanks and water levels were awesome. More rambling inserted here.

Bro fist mah man

Story of two childhoods here at least (as far as video games...)

I was dreaming of what Melee would be, wanted so bad.

Played in 2005, quickly got sick (lol weak stomach can't hax poke floats)

TRJV

Smash Journeyman

Bro fist mah man

Story of two childhoods here at least (as far as video games...)

I was dreaming of what Melee would be, wanted so bad.

Played in 2005, quickly got sick (lol weak stomach can't hax poke floats)
Ayyyy this is me as well!:bee:

We should like, start a club or something

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
i had my dad's SNES, then GC, then Ps2, then 360

i've never had an N64 or wii, and the only handhelds I've ever had are my GBA and my dad's gameboy

i've been too poor to really be a gamer all my life

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
FPS's today are constantly improving upon the mechanics set forth by Doom, which in a sense makes Doom a timeless game. Various ports and mods are still being made for Doom today, despite Doom being a very old game made in the days of DOS-BOX. The memory of Doom carries on in the spirit of FPS's. People may forget where game mechanics come from, but they will never forget what was enjoyable.
I played Doom for the first time two years or so ago, it's unplayable with how dizzy it makes you. Urban Terror and Legions Overdrive may be the best FPS in my tastes for a long time. Maybe the best games are the middle ground of not too early but not too late where they lose vision or something.
Like I said Cstick is cheap to casuals the same way as Wobbling is cheap to competitive smashers. Both, in their minds, provide too much reward with little effort. They want C-stick banned just as much as Juggleguy wants Wobbling banned. Of course there are some who dont mind it, just as there are people who dont mind wobbling. Same could be said about edge hogging, and guess what they took that away.

But once you get good, you realize and laugh at the idea.
If PMDT made C-stick set to Attack (or another created option) only have the Diagonal press to Nair benefit without any of the other changes (f-tilt for f-smash) or set-backs (it has set back to neutral issues) my owningness would be duplified; but right now anyone using it currently for that has to work around things it brings (with the neutral issue making CC d-smash harder).
Go to goodwill.

However this is an excellent point; we COULD get used to either but ultimately better response = less frustration.
People should enjoy decent Wifi/HDTVs when only that's available. My friend had/has an HDTV that he was use to and didn't notice the lag although it wasn't in the unplayable HDTV range; come to find though his Falco had some trouble reacting to DI Jiggly's Up-throw Rest.
I refuse to play a smash game with waluigi
I love you guys but I'm quitting PM if he ever actually makes it in the roster.
What would you do if Cougar was in the game?

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222

0 did you or did you not play Super mario 64? (make or break question)

Player -0

Smash Hero
If PMDT made C-stick set to Attack (or another created option) only have the Diagonal press to Nair benefit without any of the other changes (f-tilt for f-smash) or set-backs (it has set back to neutral issues) my owningness would be duplified; but right now anyone using it currently for that has to work around things it brings (with the neutral issue making CC d-smash harder).
Is that return to neutral problem in Melee? If not then all my johns are justified.

0 did you or did you not play Super mario 64? (make or break question)
I never got it because my sisters pretty much owned the N64 and I was a wee lad. I played it a bit with some friends though.

Edit - Negative Zero pls.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Is that return to neutral problem in Melee? If not then all my johns are justified.

I never got it because my sisters pretty much owned the N64 and I was a wee lad. I played it a bit with some friends though.
in Melee? I think that's Brawl/PM that has the issue (where in Melee you'd hold Forward on C-stick and you'd F-smash, then you'd keep it held forward but groove it downwards and D-smash or even F-smash again; in Brawl/PM it has to get back to Neutral first. I don't have a problem with this myself though), and this is kind of different (worse).

When you set C-stick to Attack in PM/Brawl, it gets basically WORSE in that regard since it wasn't designed for Attack. If you do an aerial/move with the C-stick as attack it DEMANDS you be Neutral like AFTER the move is done (rather than sometime during it); making spamming an aerial after an aerial or d-smash after a CC never come out unless you time it (which will make you usually late a few frames to be safe so you don't blow the problem I just described). Again, normal C-stick is very graceful in comparison.

Also I owned Mario 64 and played it as a kid but it never became close to one of my favorite games, Sonic Adventure 1 though was more memorable to me for the first Whale escape scene that blew my mind.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
in Melee? I think that's Brawl/PM that has the issue (where in Melee you'd hold Forward on C-stick and you'd F-smash, then you'd keep it held forward but groove it downwards and D-smash or even F-smash again; in Brawl/PM it has to get back to Neutral first. I don't have a problem with this myself though), and this is kind of different (worse).

When you set C-stick to Attack in PM/Brawl, it gets basically WORSE in that regard since it wasn't designed for Attack. If you do an aerial/move with the C-stick as attack it DEMANDS you be Neutral like AFTER the move is done (rather than sometime during it); making spamming an aerial after an aerial or d-smash after a CC never come out unless you time it (which will make you usually late a few frames to be safe so you don't blow the problem I just described). Again, normal C-stick is very graceful in comparison.

Also I owned Mario 64 and played it as a kid but it never became close to one of my favorite games, Sonic Adventure 1 though was more memorable to me for the first Whale escape scene that blew my mind.
Yus, I knew my johns were completely justified. It is really annoying when attacks don't come out because of that problem though. I usually don't have a problem but I don't always put the C-Stick to complete neutral.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
To this day, Phantasy Star 4 is probably my favorite RPG I've ever played. FF7 and 4 shortly follow.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Now that you aint doing 2hu tink, Ill do it myself, dont want september to be a waste

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
hey, there were 3 votes for madoka and 3 votes for 2hu. coinflip said madoka. you should be happy I didn't just go with the first rec like usual

ilu bb

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Speaking of Blue Eyes White Dragon:

I tried replaying Pokemon Black recently, and my interest to keep playing has waned more and more. Gen 5 always felt kinda bland to me, but it feels practically soulless when I replay it now. Maybe it's the fact Game Freak stayed on the DS longer than they needed to and the hardware/space limitations were really starting to show, no older Pokemon appear in the game till after the Elite Four, awkward art style, all three starters suck, box legends are ugly, worse music than past gens, or the convoluted "edgy" story I still don't really understand, but I just don't see the appeal. And that's not even bringing up the power creep and weather-dominated metagame that plagued the competitive scene the entirety of the generation. I haven't played B2W2, but from what I've seen, I'm not convinced it's much better. DPPt was pretty awesome and XY, despite lacking much of a post-game, still has a lot of heart and I enjoyed it a lot. But BW...ehh.....definitely the worst gen despite me liking some of the Pokes and mechanics it introduced.

Also, Moxie Krookodile is absolutely broken in-game.

Last edited:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I remember Black and White's story. They tried to touch on a touchy subject..... but the ending and resolution was a complete cop out.

This is a random question, but

What is it about older games that keeps you playing them?
I know I'm late, but it's not necessarily all nostalgia. It can also be because old stuff does stuff that you like that new stuff doesn't do.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Speaking of Blue Eyes White Dragon:

I tried replaying Pokemon Black recently, and my interest to keep playing has waned more and more. Gen 5 always felt kinda bland to me, but it feels practically soulless when I replay it now. Maybe it's the fact Game Freak stayed on the DS longer than they needed to and the hardware/space limitations were really starting to show, no older Pokemon appear in the game till after the Elite Four, awkward art style, all three starters suck, box legends are ugly, worse music than past gens, or the convoluted "edgy" story I still don't really understand, but I just don't see the appeal. And that's not even bringing up the power creep and weather-dominated metagame that plagued the competitive scene the entirety of the generation. I haven't played B2W2, but from what I've seen, I'm not convinced it's much better. DPPt was pretty awesome and XY, despite lacking much of a post-game, still has a lot of heart and I enjoyed it a lot. But BW...ehh.....definitely the worst gen despite me liking some of the Pokes and mechanics it introduced.

Also, Moxie Krookodile is absolutely broken in-game.
I can't see it that way.

Old pokemon not appearing was the only thing I had a slight problem with, but it's the only region to do that ever and I can give them some respect for going all the way.

Music is opinions but I don't think I disliked even a fraction of the songs from any pokemon generation.

Design aesthetics again are opinions but you hatin on my ***** reshiram?
That aside I felt they had some pretty good designs in there and I really enjoyed it.

Now the story part you said I don't really get. It's a pretty sraight forward story and I can't even see the "edge" in it.
At its most simple it's "Evil team has false agenda, the guy that works for them actually believes it and wants to make it a reality. You have to stop it"
Even when you throw in the details, people being corrupt to get what they want isn't really "edgy" either.
At most it's just one guy who has a misguided view of the world thanks to his upbringing. He even talks about it when you meet him.

I can't argue against the meta-game though.

All B2W2 has going for it is colress, Psycho Ghetsis, Hugh, and the PWT.
Especially the PWT.

Edit : Join avenue was great if you knew other people that played as well.

Last edited:

Swswan

Smash Journeyman
my top games:
final fantasy tactics advance - (GBA)
Jet set radio future (xbox - original)
Smash bros (project m as of now)
Borderlands 2 - ps3 (and a one piece game im pretty into)

as for old games - wind waker, majoras mask, sm64 will always have a place in my heart.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
@ OSCA MIKE OSCA MIKE , while I like your analogy music doesn't really work that way, you are drawing parallels between two mediums with vastly different levels and forms of interaction. But to be clear music has, apart from progressive genre's not really advanced in any meaningful way since the death of R&B, pop music itself is pretty much a testament to how that metaphor can come up short. Don't get me wrong some people are still pushing the envelope, and others are keeping more relevant, technical, and interesting genres alive, but the general progression has been anything but, well progressive when compared to the state of music I fairly recent history. Though an argument could be made for, but also against, cross-genre titles and the like being complex and forward-thinking in their own right, however that isn't really able to stand up to the homogenization of modern music (though this is conveniently happening in just about everything it possibly can)

Top Bottom