• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer.

I keep seeing that when the ISO is being created.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Question: Is there any way to disable music but keep sfx and be in 16:9 by default?

Will any change in sfx cause desyncs? I kinda wanna change one or two out as a gag.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Question: Is there any way to disable music but keep sfx and be in 16:9 by default?

Will any change in sfx cause desyncs? I kinda wanna change one or two out as a gag.
When we can use PM on the latest builds for Netplay, it will be in 16:9 by default.

Music changes cause desyncs in PM.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
When we can use PM on the latest builds for Netplay, it will be in 16:9 by default.

Music changes cause desyncs in PM.
Which will happen when exactly?

But what about sound effects?

Last edited:

Valkauv

Smash Rookie
I had quite the error with this.
I tried with the launcher, but for some reason it caused a huge error on my PC that resulted in my hard drive wipe.
In no way do I blame the guide, likely I installed the wrong builder.
Does anyone have a link to an updated one, if there is one at all? On the smashladder tutorial, it mentioned something about a newer build. Any way I can find this?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I had quite the error with this.
I tried with the launcher, but for some reason it caused a huge error on my PC that resulted in my hard drive wipe.
In no way do I blame the guide, likely I installed the wrong builder.
Does anyone have a link to an updated one, if there is one at all? On the smashladder tutorial, it mentioned something about a newer build. Any way I can find this?
I'm 100% certain this had nothing to do with your hard drive wipe. There is no newer iso builder. It's the same one. The "new build" is referring to a different version of Dolphin that currently is only compatible with melee. Even if you used the wrong iso builder it still wouldn't have caused your hard drive to be wiped. The iso builder simply deals with your iso's and your iso's only. Likely something else is what caused your pc issues.

Valkauv

Smash Rookie
I'm 100% certain this had nothing to do with your hard drive wipe. There is no newer iso builder. It's the same one. The "new build" is referring to a different version of Dolphin that currently is only compatible with melee. Even if you used the wrong iso builder it still wouldn't have caused your hard drive to be wiped. The iso builder simply deals with your iso's and your iso's only. Likely something else is what caused your pc issues.
Hmm. I'll try setting up the ISO again. Thanks for the response.

Brandon Shannon

Smash Rookie
So I'm having some trouble with this the 2nd time around. I was able to get everything working well last summer (during 3.02). Since then, I have gotten a new computer and would like to have Netplay on here too. I transferred the same ISO to my Dolphin folder but it does not recognize the Brawl game on Dolphin.

Any ideas?

--EDIT: Had things in an incorrect folder. Problem resolved.

Last edited:

beelzebummed

Smash Rookie
hey so I installed pm and dolphin a few months ago and netplay was working perfectly until all of a sudden I couldn't connect to anyone anymore. Anyone know what the problem could be? All of my settings are identical to the Anther's Ladder specifications for pm, I'm using university wifi, but that didn't seem to be a problem before.
Any help will be appreciated.

Sushiroks

Smash Rookie
My GC controller is working fine in 4.0.2, but in 4.0-652 it doesn't even register in the controller configuration page. Any ideas as to why this would be? All settings are identical between the two.

Y-L

Smash Champion
hey so I installed pm and dolphin a few months ago and netplay was working perfectly until all of a sudden I couldn't connect to anyone anymore. Anyone know what the problem could be? All of my settings are identical to the Anther's Ladder specifications for pm, I'm using university wifi, but that didn't seem to be a problem before.
Any help will be appreciated.
Likely your university WiFi changing settings, not something in Dolphin. Firewall exception may help? If not I have no idea.

My GC controller is working fine in 4.0.2, but in 4.0-652 it doesn't even register in the controller configuration page. Any ideas as to why this would be? All settings are identical between the two.
Post a screenshot of your settings.

Sushiroks

Smash Rookie
Post a screenshot of your settings.[/quote]

http://imgur.com/a/Y76z7
I have checked again, and it is the exact same as my 4.0.2 configuration, which works fine. Just seems to be an issue with 4.0-652 detecting the adapter or something.

Edit: Have also now tried using 4.0-548, plugging the adapter into a new port, and restarting the computer. Nothing has worked thus far.

Last edited:

insanityphr33k

Smash Rookie
NNID
insanityphr33k
Hi, I tried playing PM on anthers ladder today, and when i created a profile and the menu went to the controls, dolphin then just breaks. it gives me a "stops working" and then a "searching for issue". When i decided to forgo making a profile, my opponent and I went into versus, and after picking characters, going into stage select, clicking on a stage then caused the same issue.
The profile creation issue also happened when the opponent created their name 1st.

When not playing netplay, I tried to do the same thing without an opponent, and had the same issue.

Also, when I click on the program and look at the main menu, my project M banner and title are "super smash brothers brawl", and the banner is not PMs. However, when I check properties, it says it is the Project M ISO.

This is obviously a problem as well, because I also play brawl netplay, and having 2 of the same looking banner and title is quite confusing.

Lastly, I have played both brawl and melee in netplay, with no problems.

Dolphin version is 652.

Edit: i remade my Project M iso and still have the same problem, I'm not sure what is wrong. do i have the incorrect version?

https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/c5b1ec3329d47006bfddb381f730ad4310528b00/ this is the download I get, not sure if this is incorrect.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hi, I tried playing PM on anthers ladder today, and when i created a profile and the menu went to the controls, dolphin then just breaks. it gives me a "stops working" and then a "searching for issue". When i decided to forgo making a profile, my opponent and I went into versus, and after picking characters, going into stage select, clicking on a stage then caused the same issue.
The profile creation issue also happened when the opponent created their name 1st.

When not playing netplay, I tried to do the same thing without an opponent, and had the same issue.

Also, when I click on the program and look at the main menu, my project M banner and title are "super smash brothers brawl", and the banner is not PMs. However, when I check properties, it says it is the Project M ISO.

This is obviously a problem as well, because I also play brawl netplay, and having 2 of the same looking banner and title is quite confusing.

Lastly, I have played both brawl and melee in netplay, with no problems.

Dolphin version is 652.

Edit: i remade my Project M iso and still have the same problem, I'm not sure what is wrong. do i have the incorrect version?

https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/c5b1ec3329d47006bfddb381f730ad4310528b00/ this is the download I get, not sure if this is incorrect.
4.0-652 is the correct version of Dolphin. If you md5 checksum is right, it's not your iso. I'm still kind of confused as to what's happening to you. Is your issue with the website? Or an issue with Dolphin? To fix the names, delete your save files for the games. You can do this by right clicking on both games, going to open wii save folder, and deleting the save folder.

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
Wait so, I'm using Dolphin 4.0-6260, and the netplay situation is a tad different. If I'm hosting, how do I get someone to join me? It doesn't have the copy button anymore.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Wait so, I'm using Dolphin 4.0-6260, and the netplay situation is a tad different. If I'm hosting, how do I get someone to join me? It doesn't have the copy button anymore.
You should use 652 for PM. Wii games don't sync properly. However if you must try, or if you want to play melee..

If you're on smashladder (idk if you can view this) follow this guide http://www.smashladder.com/guides/view/2584/how-to-the-new-dolphin-build , Keep in mind you have to use the exact same dolphin version as your partner.

Last edited:

insanityphr33k

Smash Rookie
NNID
insanityphr33k
4.0-652 is the correct version of Dolphin. If you md5 checksum is right, it's not your iso. I'm still kind of confused as to what's happening to you. Is your issue with the website? Or an issue with Dolphin? To fix the names, delete your save files for the games. You can do this by right clicking on both games, going to open wii save folder, and deleting the save folder.

just recently had time to come back to this, used a completely different Iso for the PM, still have the problem on 652, gonna try the other applicable version, but when you mention deleting the save files for the name fix, do you just mean delete everything in the the folder that comes up after right clicking the wii save folder option?

Y-L

Smash Champion
just recently had time to come back to this, used a completely different Iso for the PM, still have the problem on 652, gonna try the other applicable version, but when you mention deleting the save files for the name fix, do you just mean delete everything in the the folder that comes up after right clicking the wii save folder option?
Yeah that's what I mean. What is the problem again?

insanityphr33k

Smash Rookie
NNID
insanityphr33k
The problem is that dolphin.exe stops working right after I create a name. I get as far as clicking the gamecube controller, and then it freezes. This happened on 652, and 648. I did delete all the things in that folder, not sure if i need to delete the folder as well.

Y-L

Smash Champion
The problem is that dolphin.exe stops working right after I create a name. I get as far as clicking the gamecube controller, and then it freezes. This happened on 652, and 648. I did delete all the things in that folder, not sure if i need to delete the folder as well.
it should update as long as you delete what's in the folder. You will need to hit view->purge cache for it to update. As for your issue, I assume this is happening in game. If you got the right md5 checksum, you may want to try updating your graphics driver and if that doesn't help, switch backends. Try the latest dev build of Dolphin if none of that succeeds just to see what happens.

insanityphr33k

Smash Rookie
NNID
insanityphr33k
the md5 checksum is correctly, just checked it after making the Iso.
As for deleting whats in the folder, I did do that, still have the same problem.
Certainly going to check my drivers an all that.

The odd thing is, when running on a non netplay dolphin build, i didnt have this problem at all. PM worked fine, as did the other smash games.

I'm almost about to just buy the necessary cords/SD card and just set it up on my wii.

(as you may guess, I'm not all that tech savvy, and for that I apoligize)

Y-L

Smash Champion
the md5 checksum is correctly, just checked it after making the Iso.
As for deleting whats in the folder, I did do that, still have the same problem.
Certainly going to check my drivers an all that.

The odd thing is, when running on a non netplay dolphin build, i didnt have this problem at all. PM worked fine, as did the other smash games.

I'm almost about to just buy the necessary cords/SD card and just set it up on my wii.

(as you may guess, I'm not all that tech savvy, and for that I apoligize)
Try backing out a folder after you hit it and delete that. Do this for both brawl and PM then purge the cache.

Update your graphics driver (just google drivers for whatever graphics card you have, there may be an auto detector to see what you have even and itll tell you the right one), if it doesn't work switch graphics backend in dolphin, if you're on OpenGL in graphics->backend, try D3D or vice versa. If it doesn't work I'm not sure.. the Dolphin irc may be able to help more https://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml #dolphin-emu.

BTW, if you have a 2 GB sd card (hackless) or homebrewed wii with any size sd card. That's all you need to play on console.

insanityphr33k

Smash Rookie
NNID
insanityphr33k
yeah I looked up the console setup. Though idk if that would run online, but tbh at this point I'll just be happy to be able to play it lol, netplay or not.

Y-L

Smash Champion
yeah I looked up the console setup. Though idk if that would run online, but tbh at this point I'll just be happy to be able to play it lol, netplay or not.
You can play online on console, but the lag will be approximately 3-4x worse than Netplay.

insanityphr33k

Smash Rookie
NNID
insanityphr33k
Huh. So did try the latest dev build. everything worked up until i reached the gamecube controller setup menu, and it stopped with this message:
IntCPU: Unknown instruction 00000000 at PC = 80585540 last_PC = 80001f18 LR = 81083d50
with the option of yes or no. hitting either yielded dolphin.exe breaking. this was version 6268.

Think i'm gonna throw in the towel here tbh. Appreciate what help you could give me, if I play PM i think it'll just be at fests or locals. or I setup my wii.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Huh. So did try the latest dev build. everything worked up until i reached the gamecube controller setup menu, and it stopped with this message:
IntCPU: Unknown instruction 00000000 at PC = 80585540 last_PC = 80001f18 LR = 81083d50
with the option of yes or no. hitting either yielded dolphin.exe breaking. this was version 6268.

Think i'm gonna throw in the towel here tbh. Appreciate what help you could give me, if I play PM i think it'll just be at fests or locals. or I setup my wii.
I believe that happens if you have AR codes/gecko codes on (you shouldnt have any on for the game?) that break it.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you plan to do.

browndunce

Smash Rookie
NNID
leafcruiser3280
I built the ISO, but when I ran WinMD5, the checksum value was b971f19f6b21e50a21417397c65a0fd8, not the one mentioned in the post. What does this mean?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I built the ISO, but when I ran WinMD5, the checksum value was b971f19f6b21e50a21417397c65a0fd8, not the one mentioned in the post. What does this mean?
It means that you don't have the correct brawl iso. It may be a scrubbed (incomplete) iso, corrupt, or the wrong revision. It will cause you to desync on Netplay since your iso differs from the norm most likely.

SuperWeenie

Smash Rookie
I'm getting this error whenever I try to host a netplay game. It says 'Failed to init traversal client. This shouldn't happen...'
Any ideas?

Top Bottom