• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

ForsenAce

Smash Rookie
It's router compatibility. If disabling your firewall didn't work, you'll have manually forward a port.
So if we all manually forward the same port and choose said port as the default in options do we need to put the host's IP in the Connect to Netplay screen or can we use the ID? (Because when I try to host my IP is 127.0.0.1 and no one can join)

errorproxy

Smash Rookie
It seems 4.0-652 can use the HD textures but cannot make save files.

4.0-5962 cannot use HD textures but can make save files.

Y-L

Smash Champion
So if we all manually forward the same port and choose said port as the default in options do we need to put the host's IP in the Connect to Netplay screen or can we use the ID? (Because when I try to host my IP is 127.0.0.1 and no one can join)
Only the host needs to port forward. You then host with the ip:port (I.e. 178.1.34.343:2626)
127.0.0.1 is not your ip, you need your external ip address.

ForsenAce

Smash Rookie
Only the host needs to port forward. You then host with the ip:port (I.e. 178.1.34.343:2626)
127.0.0.1 is not your ip, you need your external ip address.
But the Dolphin Netplay window defaults the 127.0.0.1 IP. How do I change it?
This is what I'm talking about:
(http://prntscr com/6q8973)

Last edited:

Freimos

Smash Rookie
NNID
CursiveBinary
I use the builder, but it only creates the save iso. It doesn't make that community one and all of the other files I scanned in wmd5 doesn't match the number given. I have no idea what I did wrong, if I did anything wrong at all.

Edit: Turns out the correct builder zip saved in my TEMP folder.... For literally no reason.

Last edited:

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
on the mac/linux part of the guide, you tell us to use "this" iso builder, but nothing is there.

Wave Dan Landon

It's simple; we gimp the fox
I was successfully using the new netplay 4.0-5886 build with my friend, from Seattle to Portland.

We played for a solid 4 hours no desyncs, with 3.5 ISOs built for Anther's ladder.

Anther's ladder is still on the 4.0-652 builds from over a year ago.

There must be something I'm uneducated about here.

Does anybody have any insight on the eventual switch to newer builds of dolphin?

Last edited:

phantomholo

Smash Rookie
If you play on smashladder though the unofficial dev build we settled on for now is 5886, here's some more info on it.
But I still wont't be able to play project M right? Only gc games like ssbm is supported at the moment am I right?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I was successfully using the new netplay 4.0-5886 build with my friend, from Seattle to Portland.

We played for a solid 4 hours no desyncs, with 3.5 ISOs built for Anther's ladder.

Anther's ladder is still on the 4.0-652 builds from over a year ago.

There must be something I'm uneducated about here.

Does anybody have any insight on the eventual switch to newer builds of dolphin?
Wii NANDs don't sync so it's desyncs can still occur playing different people.

Tsaru

Smash Rookie
I have netplay set up, using Dolphin 4.0-652, and my Project M ISO has the correct md5. I can play single player with 100% frame rate, but when I play with other people, it slows down and lags to make the game almost unplayable. We stay synchronized, the game just runs slowly. It gets worse with a higher ping, and people I've played against have not had this problem with other people. I have optimized my laptop for gaming with Dolphin, I have all the settings on Dolphin set according to the original post. Is there anything more I can do, or do I just need a better laptop (specs below)?

Specs:
Intel i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.4 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000

Y-L

Smash Champion
I have netplay set up, using Dolphin 4.0-652, and my Project M ISO has the correct md5. I can play single player with 100% frame rate, but when I play with other people, it slows down and lags to make the game almost unplayable. We stay synchronized, the game just runs slowly. It gets worse with a higher ping, and people I've played against have not had this problem with other people. I have optimized my laptop for gaming with Dolphin, I have all the settings on Dolphin set according to the original post. Is there anything more I can do, or do I just need a better laptop (specs below)?

Specs:
Intel i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.4 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Your laptop should be good, try setting the buffer to 100 to determine whether it's an Internet or hardware issue.

Tsaru

Smash Rookie
Your laptop should be good, try setting the buffer to 100 to determine whether it's an Internet or hardware issue.
I set the buffer to 100, and it ran with no lag. However, with that opponent, it also ran with no lag with the buffer set to 4. The lagging doesn't happen in every game, but it doesn't seem to be caused by my opponents, who aren't experiencing it nearly as much. At least, that's what I've been told.

Edit: clarified a pronoun.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I set the buffer to 100, and it ran with no lag. However, with that opponent, it also ran with no lag with the buffer set to 4. The lagging doesn't happen in every game, but it doesn't seem to be caused by my opponents, who aren't experiencing it nearly as much. At least, that's what I've been told.

Edit: clarified a pronoun.
Well the next time it does happen, turn the buffer up to 100 and that will identify the issue. If the lag immediately stops after raising the buffer, it's connection. If not, it's a different issue.

Tsaru

Smash Rookie
Well the next time it does happen, turn the buffer up to 100 and that will identify the issue. If the lag immediately stops after raising the buffer, it's connection. If not, it's a different issue.
Ok, thank you!

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
So i turned the buffer up to 100 and the lag stopped immediately, so it is my connection.

I read online that I cant use the traceroute command to diagnose where the problem is but I have no idea what the results mean lol, do you have any suggestions?
Traceroute works by sending a ping (icmp) request to a user defined destination, and recording the time in milliseconds it takes the ping packet to go from your machine to the destination. When you execute the command "C:\> tracert www.google.com" you will see a series of hops that the ping packet takes on its route through the internet to google.com, each hop will also have a time in ms.

Im not sure how you would use traceroute to verify your connection in this case though. You would need to get the ip address of whoever it is you are playing against for the traceroute results to be applicable.

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
Can someone link the mac/linux iso builder? on the spoiler text for mac/linux that tells us to "use this iso builder" nothing shows up.

RobotNarwhal1233

Smash Rookie
Where is the link for the ISO Builder for Mac/Linux? I can't seem to find it in your FAQ/Troubleshooting section.

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
Traceroute works by sending a ping (icmp) request to a user defined destination, and recording the time in milliseconds it takes the ping packet to go from your machine to the destination. When you execute the command "C:\> tracert www.google.com" you will see a series of hops that the ping packet takes on its route through the internet to google.com, each hop will also have a time in ms.

Im not sure how you would use traceroute to verify your connection in this case though. You would need to get the ip address of whoever it is you are playing against for the traceroute results to be applicable.
Also, i learned yesterday that your connection to another person when on netplay is p2p (peer-to-peer -- though i had a hunch all along that netplay works this way). This means that if you did obtain the IP of the person you are playing against and ran traceroute, the results would still not be very useful. The reason for this is due to the nature of p2p; the speed of content traversal is governed by the capabilities of both parties in the connection. Also, routers and networking equipment in general have an interesting way of handling traffic; they attempt to send data at an increasing rate until a hiccup is noticed, at which point they scale down the speed to a manageable level, only to ramp it up again until another hiccup occurs. So the true speed at which your data is being sent is never constant.

source: https://www.grc.com/sn/past/2011.htm "How the internet works: part 1 & 2" "TCP: part 1"

p3ngw1nKing

Smash Cadet
Sorry, I fixed the Mac/Linux link. Thank you for finding it Robot.
I just tried this... I copied my Brawl iso into the folder and ran the Python script form the terminal but it gives me errors.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Here's the output:

Beginning ISO Build!
Extracting Original Game Files...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Build_ISO v3.5.py", line 238, in <module>
build()​
File "Build_ISO v3.5.py", line 70, in build
subprocess.call([wit, 'extract', '-s', '.', '-1', '-n', 'RSBE01', '.', 'ssbb.d', '--psel=DATA', '-ovv'])​
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 524, in call
return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()​
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 711, in __init__
errread, errwrite)​
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1308, in _execute_child
raise child_exception​
OSError: [Errno 8] Exec format error

Last edited:

WannaBeFreddy

Smash Rookie
Having problems with the downloa link for the netplay iso builder, do any have a alternate download link or can anyone pm me the file. Would be really helpful :)

Schwitz0

Smash Rookie
Finally got netplay up and working but it seems I am having trouble streaming. When the game is hosted, ping seems to be jumping pretty wildly (today I was jumping between 50 - 200). Wanted to know if someone could give my setup a look and give me any advice. Also let me know if there is a better place to post this:

Processor: Intel Core i7 - 4500U CPU @ 1.80 GHZ
Memory: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel (R) HD Graphics Family
Operating System: Windows 8 64bit

kodo

Smash Rookie
i am trying to install it on mac but i keep getting this error message when i try to run the python file in terminal

Mac OS Detected

Beginning ISO Build!
File "/Users/Jared/Downloads/3.5 Build - Lin-2/Build_ISO v3.5.py", line 238, in <module>
build()
File "/Users/Jared/Downloads/3.5 Build - Lin-2/Build_ISO v3.5.py", line 70, in build
subprocess.call([wit, 'extract', '-s', '.', '-1', '-n', 'RSBE01', '.', 'ssbb.d', '--psel=DATA', '-ovv'])
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 486, in call
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 672, in __init__
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1202, in _execute_child
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Y-L

Smash Champion
Finally got netplay up and working but it seems I am having trouble streaming. When the game is hosted, ping seems to be jumping pretty wildly (today I was jumping between 50 - 200). Wanted to know if someone could give my setup a look and give me any advice. Also let me know if there is a better place to post this:

Is the issue your framerate or your ping? What happens when you stream offline? What is your stream resolution/framerate/bitrate?

i am trying to install it on mac but i keep getting this error message when i try to run the python file in terminal

Mac OS Detected

Beginning ISO Build!
File "/Users/Jared/Downloads/3.5 Build - Lin-2/Build_ISO v3.5.py", line 238, in <module>
build()
File "/Users/Jared/Downloads/3.5 Build - Lin-2/Build_ISO v3.5.py", line 70, in build
subprocess.call([wit, 'extract', '-s', '.', '-1', '-n', 'RSBE01', '.', 'ssbb.d', '--psel=DATA', '-ovv'])
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 486, in call
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 672, in __init__
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1202, in _execute_child
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
You may have a bad brawl iso, although I'm not too certain about Mac errors.

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
I'm having a bit of trouble to connect my gamecube controller so I can play PM on dolphin. I installed the driver and everything, and my GC controller works fine on wii. Any help?

Last edited:

Schwitz0

Smash Rookie
Is the issue your framerate or your ping? What happens when you stream offline? What is your stream resolution/framerate/bitrate?

You may have a bad brawl iso, although I'm not too certain about Mac errors.
When I play offlne it is a little laggy as well. The start up sequence can freeze up a bit as well as when I enter the character screen. It seems to get better the longer I play though. How can I see my stream resolution/framerate/bitrate? I know I have my screen resolution set at 1920X1080 like in the guide but I don't think that is what you are looking for.

Schwitz0

Smash Rookie
When I play offlne it is a little laggy as well. The start up sequence can freeze up a bit as well as when I enter the character screen. It seems to get better the longer I play though. How can I see my stream resolution/framerate/bitrate? I know I have my screen resolution set at 1920X1080 like in the guide but I don't think that is what you are looking for.
But when I am in game offline I am pretty good...no real lag issues.

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
you need to help us help you.

Post up some more details. What you've done, what your settings looks like, what adapter you're using etc.
Ok so I have the may flash adapater and I downloaded the necessary software from the website. I downloaded the driver, and my computer recognizes the adapter. However, it doesn't seem to recognize my GC controllers. I tried all three of them, but none of them work. They work on Wii/GC BTW
Sorry for the late reply. Anything else you need to know?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Ok so I have the may flash adapater and I downloaded the necessary software from the website. I downloaded the driver, and my computer recognizes the adapter. However, it doesn't seem to recognize my GC controllers. I tried all three of them, but none of them work. They work on Wii/GC BTW
Sorry for the late reply. Anything else you need to know?
For future reference, edit your post instead of posting 3 in a row.

What adapter are you using? Mayflash 4 port or 2?

Your stream bit rate and resolution down scale /frame rate is in your obs settings

About the game lagging you need to provide your hardware specs. And does it lag when you stream or all the time

Schwitz0

Smash Rookie
Specs:

OBS Settings:
Ping: 20s
Download Speed: 6.39 Mbps
Upload Speed: 6.04 Mbps

My FPS is all over the place when the game is running. When everything is running good, FPS looks to be between 58-60, when things are lagging and skipping, it can go as low as 1-2. When I am in match offline, I am at about 58-60 but when the trailer is playing or I am in the character selection screen, the FPS drops and the game becomes laggy. Essentially it is lagging all the time like this and not just when I am on netplay.

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
For future reference, edit your post instead of posting 3 in a row.

What adapter are you using? Mayflash 4 port or 2?

Your stream bit rate and resolution down scale /frame rate is in your obs settings

About the game lagging you need to provide your hardware specs. And does it lag when you stream or all the time
I don't believe I posted three in a row, were you referencing someone else?
Adapter I am using
http://www.amazon.com/GC-Controller...ecube+controller+adapter+for+wii+u+and+pc+usb

Y-L

Smash Champion
Top Bottom