• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

TruthOrFair

Smash Rookie
So I followed the directions from here smashladders website and everything works until I went to check the md5 it was a different code. 5df353694c9ceca7895929583476977f.

Any suggestions?

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
So I followed the directions from here smashladders website and everything works until I went to check the md5 it was a different code. 5df353694c9ceca7895929583476977f.

Any suggestions?
i think youre going to have to find a new brawl iso, but thats my guess.

Last edited:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Well s*** I'm an idiot. It's no wonder I had it working before by pressing enter, but then I tried using A or B (Z and X on my keyboard) and got this problem. Thanks man. Can't wait until my Mayflash adapter comes next week!

Is there a thread where you can find the build that's listed in the OP? Because I was surprised to find my Oceanville texture when I tried changing my settings to make it run smoother.

Last edited:

mnml

Smash Rookie
It fixed a performance bug over netplay but however Wii games don't sync on dev build's Netplay so PM will desync.
Not true. I've tested the latest builds pretty extensively with a few friends, and saw no desyncs, even while playing characters with PRNG elements (G&W, Luigi, Peach, Olimar). As long as both players are using the same build configured correctly, everything should work perfectly.

Pretty much the same configuration steps as the 4.0-652 Netplay version.

Config > General > Enable Cheats > On
Config > GameCube > Slot A > <Nothing>

Graphics settings can be configured to taste.
(Usually Graphics > Hacks > Skip EFB Access from CPU > On as well)

Controllers can also be configured to taste, as long as:
Controllers > Wiimote 1 > None (Very important!)

Tools > Start NetPlay > (Upper left drop-down) Traversal
Traversal: vps.qoid.us
Port: 6262

And when starting the game, make sure to not make a save file.

Have you submitted a bug report to the Dolphin issue tracker yet? If not, and if you're still experiencing problems on the latest builds, you should consider submitting your issue.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Not true. I've tested the latest builds pretty extensively with a few friends, and saw no desyncs, even while playing characters with PRNG elements (G&W, Luigi, Peach, Olimar). As long as both players are using the same build configured correctly, everything should work perfectly.

Pretty much the same configuration steps as the 4.0-652 Netplay version.

Config > General > Enable Cheats > On
Config > GameCube > Slot A > <Nothing>

Graphics settings can be configured to taste.
(Usually Graphics > Hacks > Skip EFB Access from CPU > On as well)

Controllers can also be configured to taste, as long as:
Controllers > Wiimote 1 > None (Very important!)

Tools > Start NetPlay > (Upper left drop-down) Traversal

And when starting the game, make sure to not make a save file.

Have you submitted a bug report to the Dolphin issue tracker yet? If not, and if you're still experiencing problems on the latest builds, you should consider submitting your issue.
No, it doesn't just work if you have the same build / settings it's not an issue to be tracked because Wii NAND sync was not ported from 652. If you haven't experienced desyncs, you will. Even if it's not frequent, random desyncs on dev builds won't be advocated.

mnml

Smash Rookie
No, it doesn't just work if you have the same build / settings it's not an issue to be tracked because Wii NAND sync was not ported from 652. If you haven't experienced desyncs, you will. Even if it's not frequent, random desyncs on dev builds won't be advocated.
Okay, I understand that NAND syncing hasn't been ported. What I don't understand is how it may lead to desyncs, even if both players are careful to not make a save file, and disable Wiimotes. We've been playing nightly, for weeks, hours on end, always on the latest revision, with players a couple miles away, and also players over a thousand miles from each other, never experiencing a single desync. I'd be much more convinced if there was a reproducible way to deliberately cause a desync...

I'm not doubting the possibility that desyncs may happen, but consider that the benefits from literally thousands of revisions and optimizations may far outweigh the (very) occasional desync. A lot of users cannot run Project M decently on the old Netplay branch with their current hardware, but can easily hit 60 FPS on the dev branch.

Developers have worked extremely hard on optimizing Dolphin, and bringing netplay features to the recent revisions. If NAND syncing is the only issue preventing the dev branch from being used by the community, I'd be interested in knowing whether it's being worked on, or whether any devs are even aware it's a problem, which is why I think it's weird that there's not an open issue in Dolphin's issue tracker, or a pull request on Dolphin's GitHub.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Okay, I understand that NAND syncing hasn't been ported. What I don't understand is how it may lead to desyncs, even if both players are careful to not make a save file, and disable Wiimotes. We've been playing nightly, for weeks, hours on end, always on the latest revision, with players a couple miles away, and also players over a thousand miles from each other, never experiencing a single desync. I'd be much more convinced if there was a reproducible way to deliberately cause a desync...

I'm not doubting the possibility that desyncs may happen, but consider that the benefits from literally thousands of revisions and optimizations may far outweigh the (very) occasional desync. A lot of users cannot run Project M decently on the old Netplay branch with their current hardware, but can easily hit 60 FPS on the dev branch.

Developers have worked extremely hard on optimizing Dolphin, and bringing netplay features to the recent revisions. If NAND syncing is the only issue preventing the dev branch from being used by the community, I'd be interested in knowing whether it's being worked on, or whether any devs are even aware it's a problem, which is why I think it's weird that there's not an open issue in Dolphin's issue tracker, or a pull request on Dolphin's GitHub.
There's no pull request because it's big project that comex said he might do in the future. There's not really anyone else willing, or even able to port it.

Most Wii games will desync without a synced NAND regardless of a save file being created or not.

It's not really a matter of raising awareness of the issue but of someone being able to do it.

errorproxy

Smash Rookie
Is there a way to stop having to create a new save file every time I start up?

As well as changing the aspect ratio to wide screen.

How do I save these settings and files?

Also, is there any downside to netplay vs. Project M?

Last edited:

Schwitz0

Smash Rookie
I am having trouble with the ISO Builder. When I go to run the ISO Builder, it takes me to the black screen, I press a key to start it then it looks like it finishes but no "PROJECT M COMMUNITY" disk image is created.

It says "No valid source file found. Command 'COPY' returns with Status #3 [NO SOURCE FOUND]"

Please help! Also, how can I attach screenshots to posts so I can show any errors better??

Y-L

Smash Champion
Is there a way to stop having to create a new save file every time I start up?

As well as changing the aspect ratio to wide screen.

How do I save these settings and files?

Also, is there any downside to netplay vs. Project M?
If you want to use Netplay, you must not have a save file or you will not sync.

If you only play offline, you can use the latest dev builds which fixes having to switch to wide-screen every time and allows saving. 652 has saving disabled for the sake of Netplay.

As for a downside to Netplay? There's not any.. you get to play online with minimal lag.

I am having trouble with the ISO Builder. When I go to run the ISO Builder, it takes me to the black screen, I press a key to start it then it looks like it finishes but no "PROJECT M COMMUNITY" disk image is created.

It says "No valid source file found. Command 'COPY' returns with Status #3 [NO SOURCE FOUND]"

Please help! Also, how can I attach screenshots to posts so I can show any errors better??
It sounds like you either don't have a Brawl iso in there or you have a bad one. You can attach screenshot by using (img)link to image(/img) except with brackets, not parenthesis.

Last edited:

errorproxy

Smash Rookie
If you want to use Netplay, you must not have a save file or you will not sync.

If you only play offline, you can use the latest dev builds which fixes having to switch to wide-screen every time and allows saving. 652 has saving disabled for the sake of Netplay.

As for a downside to Netplay? There's not any.. you get to play online with minimal lag.
Is it possible to get Project M 3.5 as easy as this is to make this iso?

Because we have to like.. inject an Project M into an SD card and then use Gecko to play homebrewe version or something.

Because what's the point of using Homebrewed version on PC Emulator?

Doesn't that just add in the extra step of having to use Gecko?

Is this a normal Project M iso? http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/1m9shk/project_m_injected_into_a_iso_guide/

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Is the guide in the OP still the most optimal way to set up Dolphin?
Yeah, I make sure to keep it updated. If you're only playing offline you should use the latest dev build though.

Is it possible to get Project M 3.5 as easy as this is to make this iso?

Because we have to like.. inject an Project M into an SD card and then use Gecko to play homebrewe version or something.

Because what's the point of using Homebrewed version on PC Emulator?

Doesn't that just add in the extra step of having to use Gecko?

Is this a normal Project M iso? http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/1m9shk/project_m_injected_into_a_iso_guide/
We aren't using Gecko at all. On console (using the hackless method), your sd card loads the project m files when you use the brawl exploit. With homebrew, the same thing occurs but the exploit is through homebrew. Your brawl iso is never being touched.

However with this method, we are actually injecting the files into the iso creating a whole new project m iso. That method does the same thing. It doesn't really matter whether we use homebrew or hackless, because the files are injected either way. We just chose homebrew. Gecko isn't used at all. Neither is an SD card.

errorproxy

Smash Rookie
Gecko isn't used at all. Neither is an SD card.
This tutorial I'm looking at uses Gecko for some reason. No idea why.

It just seems to over complicate things.

Could you link me a tutorial that injects normal Project M 3.5 into Brawl iso so I can just emulate it. I can't find any. Thanks.

Is this one? http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2mtvlj/35_fullset_iso_builder_working_events_and_allstar/

I have the netplay one but I don't like making a new save file and setting up the aspect ratio everytime.

Dang it, I just made a new iso but it's Project M 2.6.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
This tutorial I'm looking at uses Gecko for some reason. No idea why.

It just seems to over complicate things.

Could you link me a tutorial that injects normal Project M 3.5 into Brawl iso so I can just emulate it. I can't find any. Thanks.

Is this one? http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2mtvlj/35_fullset_iso_builder_working_events_and_allstar/

I have the netplay one but I don't like making a new save file and setting up the aspect ratio everytime.

Dang it, I just made a new iso but it's Project M 2.6.
Dude, this guide is as simple as it gets. The wide-screen not being on and not being able to save is a result of using the netplay version of dolphin. Just grab the newest dev build.

errorproxy

Smash Rookie
Dude, this guide is as simple as it gets. The wide-screen not being on and not being able to save is a result of using the netplay version of dolphin. Just grab the newest dev build.
I got the Project M iso. My problem now is it can't save.

I have to create a new save file every time as well as set the aspect ratio.

I have tried using a non netplay latest version of Dolphin.

Is there a problem of having netplay iso and Project M iso making it unable to save?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I got the Project M iso. My problem now is it can't save.

I have to create a new save file every time as well as set the aspect ratio.

I have tried using a non netplay latest version of Dolphin.

Is there a problem of having netplay iso and Project M iso making it unable to save?
You're probably using 4.02, not the latest developer version.

errorproxy

Smash Rookie
You're probably using 4.02, not the latest developer version.
It seems 4.0-652 can use the HD textures but cannot make save files.

4.0-5962 cannot use HD textures but can make save files.

Last edited:

dididan2000

Smash Rookie
I am a Mac user and you said to look in the FAQ. It says to download "this iso builder," but there is no is builder linked for Mac.

Y-L

Smash Champion
It seems 4.0-652 can use the HD textures but cannot make save files.

4.0-5962 cannot use HD textures but can make save files.
It can use HD textures, you put them in the folder with the games game id in the dolphin emulator folder and enable use custom textures.

Specimen No.13

Smash Rookie
Hi, im wondering what my problem may be. I've followed the instructions to what I believe to be exact but when I launch the game it seems to run at double speed... Any ideas?

I have read through some of the pages to see if this problem had previously been addressed but to no avail, so i apologise if it has already been touched on. Feel free to simply say it has been sorted before if I'm being an inconvenience and I will go look further.

Thanks for your time. =^)

Last edited:

dididan2000

Smash Rookie
Has anyone done this for Mac? This is Smash I want most and I tried like 3 different ways, but it never worked. Please, someone help me. Thanks.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Has anyone done this for Mac? This is Smash I want most and I tried like 3 different ways, but it never worked. Please, someone help me. Thanks.
If you're on smashladder send Kascade a message, he might be able to help. I don't have a Mac so I'm not sure.

phantomholo

Smash Rookie
I was wondering if all the latest dev builds work online? And after i click start netplay(dolphin-master-4.0-5962-x64) is my opponent and I required to type in this?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I was wondering if all the latest dev builds work online? And after i click start netplay(dolphin-master-4.0-5962-x64) is my opponent and I required to type in this?
Thanks in advance!
Yep, that'll work. Turn off memory cards though.

ForsenAce

Smash Rookie
Hey guys me and some friends wanted to play PM with dolphin netplay but for some reason only me and one friend can play the 2 other ones when they try to connect it only says disconnected. (All of my friends have their firewalls disabled). Do you guys have any idea to what is causing this error?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey guys me and some friends wanted to play PM with dolphin netplay but for some reason only me and one friend can play the 2 other ones when they try to connect it only says disconnected. (All of my friends have their firewalls disabled). Do you guys have any idea to what is causing this error?
It's router compatibility. If disabling your firewall didn't work, you'll have manually forward a port.

Top Bottom