• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Ryos4

Smash Lord
any sturdy pokemon that can do like a pinch berry baton pass with some other boost?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I don't think any Pokemon with Sturdy has access to Baton Pass.
Thats too bad. That would be a pretty good way of passing over stats. If you had a healing in your party, it could be pretty decent to use multiple times. Though without the pinch berry it probably wouldnt be as good as the first use.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
What's a good Hunter in White? [Hunter: A Pokemon designed to aid in the capture of Pokemon.]
Get a Petilil and do the in-game trade for Cottonee. It comes readily packed with Stun Spore and has Prankster, so training it so it can outpace the things you're trying to catch is even unnecessary. And having it at a low lvl is actually good, because you can just let it do its job and then it dies, so you don't have to waste a turn switching to your damage dealer either. This gives you an extra turn of capture and also has the potential of giving you another just because you don't risk your damage dealer getting hit and you being forced to heal earlier than wanted. Just remember, every turn counts.

Paralysis, at least imo, is a better status than sleep for catching Pokemon anyway. The fact that you don't have to reapply it is great. I've used it almost exclusively over Sleep ever since I started using only Pokeballs to catch Pokemon. The results I've had with it has been mostly the same as with sleep, and for much less of a hassle. Thus my recommendation.

Marthmaster800

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have the event Celebi or the event legendary dogs? I need them :3 Trading will be most appreciated.

RATED

Smash Lord
do pokemon get EV points if they hold the Exp. Share?

Since I did so with my Modest Chandelier and with my Calm Burungeru and I want to start EV traning.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
you can technically reset their EVs if you wanted to

idk how berry farming works in B/W though or if those EV-reducing berries even exist in those games or not

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Asides from getting berries from rangers, who are just the normal status curing berries or Oran berries, I think the only way to get berries is to grow them in RSE then transfer them over to gen IV to then trade them to gen V (sorry, I'm not far in enough to know if they have the transferring thing in BW :/)

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Asides from getting berries from rangers, who are just the normal status curing berries or Oran berries, I think the only way to get berries is to grow them in RSE then transfer them over to gen IV to then trade them to gen V (sorry, I'm not far in enough to know if they have the transferring thing in BW :/)
The transfer system doesn't allow you to send over items. It's the reason why Lati@s doesn't have Soul Dew in the Gen V metagame.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
How can you tell if your Pokemon has Pokerus in Black/White? I wasn't really paying attention while I got my Pokemon healed, but the nurse suddenly started talking about Pokerus and I can't find anywhere on the status screen that signifies it.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Look at the Summary and a purple box with the letters PKRS should be there.
Unless it went away of course. Then you'd see a

:|

smily somewhere around the sprite.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Huh. It was after I used my Lilligant to capture a bunch of wild Smeargle. None of the Smeargle in my PC have the PKRS symbol, and none of the Pokemon in my party have one either, and it's past midnight and no one has a :| symbol either. I know the nurse mentioned Pokerus, is there any other reason she'd do it?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Did the nurse say your Pokemon have Pokerus? If not, I'd say none of your Pokemon have Pokerus.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I caught the tail end of her speech about Pokerus (and I know I wasn't imagining it), and I can't imagine why she'd mention it if none of my Pokemon caught it. But all the evidence says no. I so confused. :glare:

Ryos4

Smash Lord
K so i got a DW Gliscor and i was trying to think of a good set up for it since it can no longer learn roost.

Gliscor @Toxic orb (Poison Heal)
Impish 252Def 252Hp 6Att
Fling
Acrobatic
Thief
U-Turn

Mostly just to irritate opponents by taking away their items, sit back stall, and use fling to get the most out of the toxic orb and acrobatic. Use U-Turn to hop out at any time and come back in to fling and thief more later on. Is there a different EV spread that would be more effective for this strategy.

Other moves i was thinking of using were for an offensive gliscor
Facade
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Sword Dance
Ice Fang

Also is it possible to breed DW abilities?

Pokemon Trainer1

Smash Apprentice
If you would elaborate on this 'DW', I might be able to answer.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to get pokemon black and white pokemon on pokemon platinum through either the use of an Action Replay or just plain old trading them?

And, does anyone know a good emulator and rom combo for pokemon black or white (preferrably white).

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yes it's possible to breed DW abilities.
Dream World is a Black/White thing where you can get Pokemon with said DW abilities, berries, etc.

No, you can't get B/W Pokemon in GenIV even with the use of an Action Replay.

And the last question isn't allowed to be answered iirc, but you can Google it.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I have also been tossing around an idea for a Venomoth sweeper. Any suggested changes for the following?

Venomoth (Tinted Lens)
252 Spe 252 SpA 4HP
Modest @Silver Powder
Morning Sun
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Sleep Powder

Planning on using this one with its median IVs at lvl 23 being.
*Alert to sounds 12/27/24/26/22/31

I know baton pass is probably a better choice then morning sun to just pass the boosts to someone else and Venomoth isn't the best in terms of defense. But i had morning sun egg move on one already, and i'll be damned if i didnt make use of it.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
ok so im staring to get into pokemon and im playing emerald but i just cant beat the psychic twins.

i got a gyrados, alakazam, blaziken, trapinch, swellow and pikachu. i realize i need to train the gyrados, trapinch and pikachu upa bit (they r all around lvl 29) my alakazam, blaziken and swellow r all over lvl 40 but i just cant beat these guys. argh if only there was a flying dark pokemon.

any1 got any tips?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Uhh dont they use Solrock and Lunatone? I think flying pokemon would be a terrible idea against that. Dark/Bug/Electric/Water/Grass would all work against those. Best bet would be a gyarados and pikachu for xatu. Grind up gyrados and give it some water type move. If its high level enough it would be able to own all of those.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
well they got a claydoll and those earthquakes hurt big time. plus he's bulky as ****. xatu isnt that hard to take down, it's just my pokemon keep dying to eartquake. also my swellow knows steel wing so that helps aside from the hundreds of hyper potions they use

M.K

Level 55
I have also been tossing around an idea for a Venomoth sweeper. Any suggested changes for the following?

Venomoth (Tinted Lens)
252 Spe 252 SpA 4HP
Modest @Silver Powder
Morning Sun
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Sleep Powder

Planning on using this one with its median IVs at lvl 23 being.
*Alert to sounds 12/27/24/26/22/31

I know baton pass is probably a better choice then morning sun to just pass the boosts to someone else and Venomoth isn't the best in terms of defense. But i had morning sun egg move on one already, and i'll be damned if i didnt make use of it.
If it's a sweeper, it should have more than one type of move.
Chances are that you aren't going to get a Morning Sun boost that's anyhow useful seeing as Venomoth is so frail.
You're either trying to run a sweeper or a passer, but don't try cramming the two sets together or you'll experience a helluva lot of 4-move syndrome.

PZ

Smash Lord
Noob here and all but what is with lucky egg in BW?

When my poke are on the same level as the opposing poke i get a big boost in xp when i win but as i get stronger it seems the boost is lowering.:urg:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Lucky egg boosts the level of exp you get from a battle when held.

Also, unlike the old games where exp is determined by the opponent's level and base exp only, this gen the difference between your pokémon's level and the enemy is factored in.

So yeah basically if your pokémon is of a higher level, the exp gain will drop. This was probably added to curb overlevelling, but they were stupid enough to put the pokémon Audino in every grass patch in the game, which completely negates that attempt.

Still yeah, the higher level above your opponent your pokémon is, the lower the exp.

sux

PZ

Smash Lord
Lucky egg boosts the level of exp you get from a battle when held.

Also, unlike the old games where exp is determined by the opponent's level and base exp only, this gen the difference between your pokémon's level and the enemy is factored in.

So yeah basically if your pokémon is of a higher level, the exp gain will drop. This was probably added to curb overlevelling, but they were stupid enough to put the pokémon Audino in every grass patch in the game, which completely negates that attempt.

Still yeah, the higher level above your opponent your pokémon is, the lower the exp.

sux
Yea I noticed that on route15 audinos but at least this lets me focus on held items for my pokemon and after awhile my emolga will **** with aerobaticas.:awesome:

Ryos4

Smash Lord
If it's a sweeper, it should have more than one type of move.
Chances are that you aren't going to get a Morning Sun boost that's anyhow useful seeing as Venomoth is so frail.
You're either trying to run a sweeper or a passer, but don't try cramming the two sets together or you'll experience a helluva lot of 4-move syndrome.
Thx for the crit. But yeah there are certain pokemon this will completely fail on.

Its not an attempt at a passer. And after a few turns of quiver dance, it will be rather bulky in special def and will be able to take a few hits from special attackers. With sleep powder it will should be able to get 1 or 2 quiver dances while they sleep or switch a new one in. Weather effects could make morning sun weaker, but could be replaced with 4th gen roost. With tinted lens it can hit almost everything neutral aside from dual types that are x4 resistant to bug or are sound proof. With the inclusion of stab. The only other stab is Sludge bomb, which doesnt have much better coverage and there are more immunities. The only other thing is energy ball, and that doesn't have stab or help its weaknesses aside from rock, but is weaker and lacks stab.

I could have dual stab Bug Buzz and Sludge Bomb. But with tinted lens the coverage isnt much better.

Either way it would probably be more of a late game sweeper to make sure nothing is completely immune to it. I also could change it up to be like

252 HP 252 Def 4 Spe @Lum Berry

similar to but probably not as effective as a Sleep Talk/Bulk up/Megahorn/Rest Heracross.
Heracross has guts boost to make up for resistance while Venomoth has Tinted Lens.
Heracross regain hp but cant be controlled and could easily be set up on, while Venomoth relies on inducing sleep/forcing a switch to recover and set up but is free to control.
Heracross will hit harder in general while Venomoth will be much faster.
Hera can run into uproar to ruin his recovery attempts while Venomoth can run into sound proof immunities.

Besides I have a baton pass venomoth in the works already. And i rather not always be stuck to using venomoth as a baton passer, since its my favorite pokemon.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The problem with Sludge Bomb is that Poison is a godawful offensive type for OU.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Poison isn't that bad. Venusaurs often run Grass STAB / HP Fire / Sludge Bomb because the latter hits Dragons.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
True but that's in tandem with 2 other moves which provide a wide range of coverage.

Bug and Poison really don't cover a whole lot. Tbh if it wants to attack it'd probably be better off with a hidden power like Ground to nail Rocks and Steels.

Still tbh, Venomoth is better as a baton passer, if you want a Quiver Dancer ro be offensive, you're way better off using a beast like Volcarona.

But that's just my .02

inb4notoriginal

It's as if playing to a pokémon's strength is against the law. :/

I mean Venomoth can baton pass a ridiculous stat boost, why wouldn't you focus on that?

Top Bottom