• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Venomoth has Tinted Lens, though. But then you can also say that Venomoth has Shield Dust, which makes it better for Baton Passing.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
:D

Also Volcarona has 135 base SpA and a better offensive movepool. :x

And he looks awesome.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey everyone.. me and my buddy are doing the nuzlocke challenge in pearl and we was wanting to know what the best starter would be and what should be our dream team goal? I would think turtwig because later on as torterra he will know leech seed, mega drain (or giga drain, whichever is more powerful.. i always forget) earthquake and synthesis with leftovers. So it would be really hard to kill a torterra healing that much rather than an infernape that can't heal at all and has crappy defence. Now empoleon has good sp.def so he might be a good choice aswell and has good type coverage moves but i believe torterra has better synergy with the other pokes you can get early on.

So yeah just please share your tips with me on the pokemon pearl nuzlocke challenge.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
I'd say choose empoleon because he has good defences, and no 4x weakness to ice, which is a problem for torterra.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Wow i didnt notice that but empoleon actually resist a ton of stuff whereas with torterra almost everything is x1 or super effective. Even though torterra does have the healing advantage.. empoleon has more type coverage and is faster plus defences arent bad.. actually fairly good.

So i think i will go with the little penguin :)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
OMG NOO empoleon is terrible for a nuzlocke. i did a pearl one and ended up not being able to get any grass or fire pokemon and i had like no real way to deal with water and electric types in a double battle and got completely slaughtered by a random double battle. Course i didnt grind. You can get soo many water types in DP, and with a nuzlocke. I think chimchar is the best starter for nuzlock. Fighting and fire moves are hard to come by in the beginning and even late game with only 1 fire type available. Even if you manage to catch a ponyta it isnt that great.

Anyway, i want to use Venomoth, because it evolves from my favorite pokemon. besides Volcarona is too good and i dont really like it and with a x4 weakness to rock. it gets owned by stealth rock and doesn't really switch into anything that well.

Either way im working on an all Bug pokemon team. Which atm can consist of
Venomoth x2 tinted lens
Morning Sun/Baton Pass
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Sleep Powder

Heracross x2 Guts
Close Combat ------ Megahorn
Megahorn ---------- Sleep Talk
Stone Edge -------- Rest
Aerial Ace ---------- Bulk Up

Ninjask Speed boost
X-Scissor
Protect
Sword Dance
Baton Pass

ShedinjaWonder guard
Shadow Sneak
X-Scissor
Sword Dance
Heal Block

Fortress Sturdy
Spikes
Rapid Spin
Explosion
Pain Split

Galvantula Compound Eyes
Thunder Wave
Thunder
Bug Buzz
Volt Switch/Energy Ball

Drapion Sniper
Brick Break
Knock Off
Night Slash
Toxic Spikes

Scizor Technician
U-Turn
Bullet Punch
Roost
Bug Bite

I also want to add Masquerain, Crustle, Shuckle, Scolipede, and either Escavalier or Accelagor or w/e. I still need to figure out a good team out of these though.

Eagle

Smash Lord
On Pokemon Black/White in the GTS can you see if the Pokemon up for trade have the pokerus? I really want the pokerus. :(

Also I don't think Scizor learns Bug Bite? ^

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
No, but you can in GTS negotiations on the second confirmation screen where you can look at the Pokemon's summary.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Scizor doesnt learn bug bite by leveling its a move tutor move from HG. I transferred it over.

Also eagle if you want PKRS i can give you a pokemon with it.

Eagle

Smash Lord
That would be very much appreciated Ryos, thank you! My friend code is 0432 7873 6476.

We have pretty different time zones, so just tell me when you're available and I'll work out what time it is my time.

Also, I don't have a lot to give you in return. You don't seem to be asking for anything but, I don't suppose you want a Zorua? You probably have one but still.. thought I'd offer. :)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I've pretty much got everything. If your still around i can trade you now. I just need to figure out which pokemon i can part with that has PKRS or just transfer it to someone. I'll take any cool items you have, battle items/evolution items/heart scales/PP UPs/Rare Candies.

FC: 4255 2802 1145

VM me when you are ready to trade.

M.K

Level 55
And after a few turns of quiver dance, it will be rather bulky in special def and will be able to take a few hits from special attackers
It's not, though.
Venomoth has a paltry Base 75 Special Defense and an even lower Defense stat. You have to factor in that nobody will "let" you set up on them, and relying on Sleep Powders shoddy 75% accuracy isn't something you'll want to be doing. They'll either fry you from a Base 120+ Special Attack (which, despite the Quiver Dances, will still kill you easily) or switch to a physical attack and lightly tap you into oblivion.

I can understand WHY you want to use Venomoth in fresh new ways. It's one of the only Pokemon with access to the new great move of Quiver Dance; however, it can be more beneficial in other ways and still destroy your opponent's team by acting as support.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
oh no of course not. Its just for a bug team to use in battles. My nuzlocke with empoleon totally failed. Got stuck with Beautifly Empoleon/Staravia and a couple other useless pokemon. Sadly enough Beautifly was my best pokemon...

Ryos4

Smash Lord
You need to go into the house next to the packaging place and talk to the kids. I think its that building. Anyway talk to them and they talk about their lost tm. Then go outside by the base of the air strip and pick it up and they come and talk to you.

Now why the kids are playing on the air strip i dont know. But its there after you talk to them.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
alright so finally after beating the psychic gym in emerald and doing tons of other stuff, im finally at Ever Grande City. some1 told me that Wally is supposed to challenge me and that i meet the guy with the shades again before victory road, but none of this has happened. any help?

thanks

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
alright so finally after beating the psychic gym in emerald and doing tons of other stuff, im finally at Ever Grande City. some1 told me that Wally is supposed to challenge me and that i meet the guy with the shades again before victory road, but none of this has happened. any help?

thanks
My memory's fuzzy, considering it's been years, but I believe Wally challenges you at the end of Victory Road. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Sounds about right for a pokemon game. Your rival always enjoyed kicking you while you were down.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
ah alright that would make sense. but about meeting the guy with the glasses; i just searched google and it says hes suppose to encourage me and will be routing for me for champion or something? yet he is not in front of the poke center. >_> stupid glasses man, get ur *** in gear lmao.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Im currently trying to decide what to do with this UT deerling.

Deerling (Sap Sipper)
Impish IVs: 28 - 31 / 28 - 31 / 31 / 29, 30, 31 / 31 / 24 - 28
-Camouflage
-Baton Pass
-Agility
-Synthesis

I could easily do a Baton pass set with agility, sword dance, or work up. But i would also like to make use of aromatherapy and horn leech if possible.

Anyone have any idea on a nice set for this?

Edit: nm i already trained it

Sawsbuck @Life Orb
Sap Sipper
252 Hp 252 Def 4 Spe
-Horn Leech
-Aromatherapy
-Agility
-Baton Pass

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey everyone.. its been awhile since ive been on here, some of you may know me as Lv100. But anyways.. i have been thinking for awhile now on getting back into pokemon but i just havent had time to so.. now i do and im getting back into pokemon, yay.

But i need all of y'alls help because i know very little about gen 5.

Im wanting to build a team (ofc) and just like i always do.. i never build a team off of just standard pokemon or w/e.. i always have a theme for my team. So what i wanna try to work around is...

REVENGE KILLING!!!

Yep thats right, for my first team i wanna do a revenge/trap team. There is just so much i can choose from.. but idk how gen 5 has changed things so i need all of your help on helping me build this team.

The pokemon i had in mind were..

Probopass
Magnezone
Dugtrio
Umbreon

Can't think of anymore on the top of my head but you get the point. I actually heard about blaziken being OP and going uber soon so.. i kinda wanna put him in here because well.. im kinda a fan of OP pokemon myself lol. I play to have fun but also to win and.. it is pretty fun sweeping a whole team with 1 pokemon.

So yeah.. if you could help me think of some trappers that i can use and a few pokemon that would be great to put in there with them to have some safe switch ins.

Its been awhile since ive made team but.. i think after some help with a team or 2 that should put me back on my feet and i can do this myself again.

Thanks for your time and i look forward to your replies :)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
If you're going for trappers, might as well use Wobbuffet especially with encore.

Also i think torchic is only OP/Uber if its a DW one. And atm the only the males are available. If its female its 100% hacked.

HotWings

Smash Ace
I meant the speed boost blaziken and.. wobbuffet is not uber anymore?? When did that change? If he isnt uber then im soooooo going to put him in this team. But please note that i am making a OU 5th gen team and its on pokemon-online.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Yeah i know you meant blaziken. It was only released in japan as male. So there would be no way to breed for natures, moves, or iv. I dont really think its worth the trouble to getting one unless you plan on hacking.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
As far as i can tell you can only take 1 a day from the tree that gets put up on your bulletin board. I have heard that you can only take one pokemon from the dream world to your game a day, and that you can only have 50 on your bulletin board. But from what it looks like to me, you may only be able to hold 10 pokemon on your bulletin board, unless more pages open up after you fill the first one.

ATM there is only one path in the DW but more may open in the future and it may or may not affect how many you can get on your bulletin board a day.

JOE!

Smash Hero
so, on a Work up Simisage, would grass knot or energy ball be better against FE pokes that arent resistant to it?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Depends on who or what you're aiming for. You hit the stuff you're already bound to hit hard(heavies, double weakness to Grass, crap Sp. Def, etc.), but most of the heavy Pokemon in Unova are resistant to Grass, but 'tis the curse of offensive Grass. If you're aiming for a broader/outside of that area, Grass Knot'll do. Otherwise EB is more reliable.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Alrighty, if a oblong 100 Mon holds a macho brace, and has another poke with an Exp share, will the other Mon still get double ev?

:phone:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Alrighty, if a oblong 100 Mon holds a macho brace, and has another poke with an Exp share, will the other Mon still get double ev?

:phone:
Only the one holding the Macho Brace gets its effect, if I recall right.
Isn't there a link or chart somewhere that had the best natures for each Pokemon?
Role | Nature
Offensive(special)| Modest (special atk./-attack), Timid (speed/-attack), Quiet (special atk./minus speed)
Offensive(physical)| Adamant (attack/-special atk.), Jolly (speed/-special atk.), Brave (attack/-speed)
Offensive(mixed)| Lonely/Naughty/Brave (physical), Mild/Rash/Quiet (special), Naive/Hasty (speed)
Defensive(physical)| Bold (defense/-attack), Impish (defense/-special), Relaxed (defense/-speed)
Defensive(special)| Calm (special def./-attack), Careful (special def/-special atk.), Sassy (special def./-speed)

For a less rude answer. Would still be better to seek out a good guide, or such.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I did but I mostly got pages and stuff not related to what I wanted. I'll deal with it. Thanks though...
Follow Wave's advice with smogon.

you can just google "elekid smogon" or whatever to find them. :woman:
edit: and Ismar out of the blue

Top Bottom