• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Pound 2016 Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
It's an official tier list for an outdated version of the game. We don't even know to what extent the voters got to decide the tier gaps, we just got some vague spiel about point divisions. And Aba never did anything this impressive with Wario.

I don't think I really need to say much else, the gameplay is doing the talking for me.

Anyway, Aba is making Mewtwo look unstoppable. As with every top character, a lot of it is coming down to him having a great disadvantage state; that airdodge is amazing. Although I also think lack of MU knowledge is playing a big part. I really want to see him fight Mr R.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
It's a shame Zer0 couldn't make it, I would have loved to see Aba's M2 vs his Sheik/Diddy.

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
For the guy talking about the official list, that was BEFORE Bayonetta and Corrin and before the patch that changed the meta even more. You can't use that as a ground to base off characters as we don't have 2 of them and the patch changes.

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
Marss didn't have matchup knowledge maybe but VOiD second Mewtwo so...

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
It's a shame Zer0 couldn't make it, I would have loved to see Aba's M2 vs his Sheik/Diddy.
If nothing else it will be interesting to see ZeRo actually return now after not having shown up in any of the post-patch tournaments. Sm4sh has quickly grown in his absence and new blood is finding itself a lot more prominent after all the nerfs and buffs. The former "old guard" (Nairo, ESAM, Dabuz) has been wavering in results. VoiD and Mr. R have persisted well with a heavily nerfed main but still with some concessions against breakout players that have nowhere to go but up, and ZeRo staying somewhat non-committal with characters in the face of changes should prove interesting for results.

In other words, when he returns, will it be as a comeback king or will this be when his streak begins to waver? Especially if he's actually, legitimately, switching his main entirely again.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Good stuff to Abadango but man Marss was playing really nervous. Never seen him miss so many grabs.
True, but I can see why he was forced to. Abadango was shielding almost everything he threw out (and even the stuff he didn't throw out) so he couldn't get in. That definitely explains the need for some grabs.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
the same thing happened to Nairo too. Once he fell behind to Hyuga at Genesis 3, he started to panick and fish for grabs and boost kicks.

is this just a ZSS main thing?

:150:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
the same thing happened to Nairo too. Once he fell behind to Hyuga at Genesis 3, he started to panick and fish for grabs and boost kicks.

is this just a ZSS main thing?

Well I mean, much like Bayonetta and Melee-Jigglypuff getting that specific move can lead into early stock kills. No wonder they're desperately fishing for them under pressure.

Except unlike those characters ZSS actually gets punished for a whiffed kill setup.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Mario gets top 3 at a national. This character has just been so consistently good from day 1.

Sheik's killing issues absolutely do matter against the top characters. I know Ally had a positive record against Mr R anyway, but I don't remember him living so long or getting so many rage Bthrow kills pre-patch.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
hope ally makes it into gf, think he has a better chance than marss, neither of em probs know how to handle m2 rly, but I doubt abadango has any experience against a mario of allys calibre either

Yikarur

Smash Master
What Mr.R did throuought the tournament was still completely insane. He basically had Game 4 but SDt at the most crucial point and then lost Game 5. Sad.
Sheik might still be the best character in the game.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Mario doesn't do that great against mewtwo either. Mario hates down tilt, and that subpar killing will really haunt him.

ZSS is the worst Mewtwo matchup left in bracket, Abadango can seriously win the tournament

NairWizard

Somewhere
Every time I see a ZSS lose game 1, I see a lot of z-air in game 2. That move seems to be the "this matchup is hard, looks like I need to play it safe with this less rewarding option" move.

Mario is really good but more importantly Ally is really clutch; Cloud and Sheik both looked like losing matchups (more Cloud than Sheik; wasn't really sure what Mario was supposed to do in neutral there lol), Ally just clutched it out.

Mario doesn't do that great against mewtwo either. Mario hates down tilt, and that subpar killing will really haunt him.

ZSS is the worst Mewtwo matchup left in bracket, Abadango can seriously win the tournament

I think Mario does great vs. Mewtwo. Mewtwo has a hard time getting Mario out, I think, unlike someone like Luigi. f6 is his fastest up-close option iirc.

We'll see though. This tournament is amazing. I'm so happy with Pound.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Every time I see a ZSS lose game 1, I see a lot of z-air in game 2. That move seems to be the "this matchup is hard, looks like I need to play it safe with this less rewarding option" move.

Mario is really good but more importantly Ally is really clutch; Cloud and Sheik both looked like losing matchups (more Cloud than Sheik; wasn't really sure what Mario was supposed to do in neutral there lol), Ally just clutched it out.

I think Mario does great vs. Mewtwo. Mewtwo has a hard time getting Mario out, I think, unlike someone like Luigi. f6 is his fastest up-close option iirc.

We'll see though. This tournament is amazing. I'm so happy with Pound.
Mario's low percent combos are potent on Mewtwo, that's true. Aba can fence him out with SHAD Fair and down tilt, and camp some with baby shadow balls.

Most Marios I know have put it from even to in Mewtwo's favor. The verdict is still out tho.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
I'm not convinced a player could beat K9, Void, Mars Seagull Joe with a non-high tier.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Big props to Ally for taking out 4 consecutive opponents that you could argue have a matchup advantage against Mario (Corrin, DK, Cloud, Sheik).

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I don't want this to sound like an "I told you so" (I have no particular loyalty to Mewtwo) but I always suspected Mewtwo was better than people gave him credit for. Even when everyone had him as a low tier, I had him as an even MU for Greninja since like week 1.

You don't have to believe me (I can't prove this) but last night I made a prediction that Abadango would get 1st and iStudy would get 25th. This was before I worked out that him losing to K9, beating Boss and losing to Seagull would result in 25th - the number just popped into my head. Let's see if I was right!

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I don't want this to sound like an "I told you so" (I have no particular loyalty to Mewtwo) but I always suspected Mewtwo was better than people gave him credit for. Even when everyone had him as a low tier, I had him as an even MU for Greninja since like week 1.

You don't have to believe me (I can't prove this) but last night I made a prediction that Abadango would get 1st and iStudy would get 25th. This was before I worked out that him losing to K9, beating Boss and losing to Seagull would result in 25th - the number just popped into my head. Let's see if I was right!
luckily istudying will be coming to more US tourneys in the future. He'll start doing better soon, I feel. The bracket luck wasn't in his favor and this is his first US major too, the deck was definitely stacked against him.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Abadango vs Ally. Mewtwo vs Mario.

I never thought I'd see this kind of Grand Finals ever in a tournament.

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
The tilt is real.
Either mario putting himself as a potential top tier or m2 proving himself as a high tier

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Mario vs. Mewtwo hype! Can't wait to see how this goes. This'll also give me some useful MU knowledge since I play both characters.

Last edited:

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
I don't know who will win. Abadango has a solid Mewtwo and has the winners advantage but Ally seems prepared to everything

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Mario vs Mewtwo grand finals... is really cool.

Both opponents that Marss' ZSS lost to shielded a LOT. It made me wonder how ZSS is supposed to deal with really smart shielding. It looked pretty painful.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
luckily istudying will be coming to more US tourneys in the future. He'll start doing better soon, I feel. The bracket luck wasn't in his favor and this is his first US major too, the deck was definitely stacked against him.

Whilst this is all true, I am saddened by the fact that his Greninja was taken out by the same old bad MUs (Sheik and Sonic) while Aba's M2 ploughed through the same players and characters. I know MU experience is a factor (Seagull in particular fights Techei regularly) but it makes Greninja seem like a solid B-tier rather than potential A-tier.

Reapers

Smash Rookie
Can't believe Ally has made it this far. I remember when he said that Mario is just not good enough and that he was contemplating switching characters.

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
to any mario or m2 mains here:
Is this mu usually this slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom