• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Pound 2016 Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
Congrats to Aba, Mewtwo is sick.

Kind of a late impression, but man ZSS lack of rising aerials + poor grab looks more and more painful every time I watch her. At least against really good players that Perfect Shield everything. That Marss vs Ally set hurt my soul a little bit.

Broqan

Smash Rookie
Guess we still got to wait awhile longer for Bayo to kill the meta. HAIL OUR MEWTWO LORD AND SAVIOR

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
I just got back from a quick time-hop to 2015, to tell everyone that Plank hosted a new Pound after paying off all the back-winnings, and it not only didn't have Zero, Nairo, or Dabuz in top 8 but was won by Abadango's Mewtwo--even though everyone thought a Cloud or Bayonetta was going to win.

I was told this was the least believable thing since Donald Trump's candidacy.
I went back to 2014 to say the same, only I was thought to be trolling, since Mewtwo wasn't even in the game!

#$3.99

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
You know what I find funniest? I don't know if I should even post this. At risk of sounding like a loon...

I genuinely, genuinely believe that Aba's opponents would have had a slightly better idea of how to handle Mewtwo (or would at least have been prepared for his airdodge) if they played a little more For Glory. Mewtwo is SO common there, and learning to punish his airdodge in slight lag makes it a cakewalk offline. Of course I'm not suggesting that random FG Mewtwos are even 100 leagues away from Abadango, but you can learn basic things about the character.

I'm sure you're guffaw-ing right now, but remember that Nairo and ZeRo do train a LOT using For Glory and online modes. You fight all sorts there, and it doesn't leave you completely unprepared for any MU.

BSP

Smash Legend
why did he run it back to smashville? whyyyyy? like srsly

think ally coulda taken it with some more mu experience, mario vs m2 doesnt look bad for mario imo
Yeah at the least, I would've liked to see F throw instead of Dthrow on M2 at low %. Mario should get at least a Bair on him, if not more. We need to look into FLUDD'ing his teleports more, because Abadango was floating around a lot with it.

Good stuff to both players though, great to watch.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Don't forget about me and my psychic kitty

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Mewtwo is the best character.
Do you want to know why?

He's mother****ing MEWTWO DANGIT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Lets talk about that :4mario: making it into Grand Finals though!

But seriously, Ally made it seem like :4mario: can't be killed by anyone without a Kill Throw. An attacks simply couldn't make it through his shield.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Eh, it's not like Mario doesn't do that stuff all the time. It pretty much just cements his top 10 placement as always. But he does so well all the time that it barely matters. Even as a Mario main I can kind of admit that I'm glad Mewtwo won instead. While I like seeing Mario do his usual thing and win, Mewtwo shaking up the meta was all worth it.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Eh, it's not like Mario doesn't do that stuff all the time. It pretty much just cements his top 10 placement as always. But he does so well all the time that it barely matters. Even as a Mario main I can kind of admit that I'm glad Mewtwo won instead. While I like seeing Mario do his usual thing and win, Mewtwo shaking up the meta was all worth it.
It's always great to see the strongest pokemon in the world take something like that.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I forget which top player said this, but MU inexperience can only take you so far. You don't win majors off of MU inexperience. Congrats, Mewtwo mains :-)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Any closing statements on the tournament as a whole, a final dump of various oddshots, VOD links + timestamps or generally things which are helpful for people in hindsight
<gooo>

Will be closing the thread sometime within the next half day or so.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Inb4 Aba gets like 9th at his next tourney appearance in Japan. I'm only half kidding, because that stuff happens all the time there lol

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
You know what I find funniest? I don't know if I should even post this. At risk of sounding like a loon...

I genuinely, genuinely believe that Aba's opponents would have had a slightly better idea of how to handle Mewtwo (or would at least have been prepared for his airdodge) if they played a little more For Glory. Mewtwo is SO common there, and learning to punish his airdodge in slight lag makes it a cakewalk offline. Of course I'm not suggesting that random FG Mewtwos are even 100 leagues away from Abadango, but you can learn basic things about the character.

I'm sure you're guffaw-ing right now, but remember that Nairo and ZeRo do train a LOT using For Glory and online modes. You fight all sorts there, and it doesn't leave you completely unprepared for any MU.
For Glory does offer a unique opportunity to just experience a lot of different characters you might not have access to locally. Exposure is always a good thing, and the overall quality seems to be going up over time. Certainly I haven't seen a Little Mac SD with Jolt Haymaker in a while.

There's also that phenomenon where an expert will sometimes get blindsided by a casual player because they do something so insanely stupid that they just don't anticipate or defend against it, and For Glory offers plenty of exposure against that so you're at least aware of a character's options even if they're suboptimal.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Real talk though I'm super proud of Abadango. He totally deserved this win. Absolutely incredible display in an amazing tournament. Mewtwo mains deserve this field day.
I couldn't help but smile at this post. Thank you so much.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Btw shout-outs to Marss for getting 3RD with solo ZSS. He is an easy candidate for top 10.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
For Glory does offer a unique opportunity to just experience a lot of different characters you might not have access to locally. Exposure is always a good thing, and the overall quality seems to be going up over time. Certainly I haven't seen a Little Mac SD with Jolt Haymaker in a while.

There's also that phenomenon where an expert will sometimes get blindsided by a casual player because they do something so insanely stupid that they just don't anticipate or defend against it, and For Glory offers plenty of exposure against that so you're at least aware of a character's options even if they're suboptimal.
You made me feel bad, I SDed with Jolt Haymaker twice in the same match today (mainly because I misspaced it but eh).

I definitely agree with this, although I find optimizing Mewtwo's punish game online is quite difficult.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I don't know if anyone noted in the Mars vs aba match, but who remembers that taunt Mars did on the stage as M2 was recovering?

That was pretty funny.

Do you think there was a mindgame aspect to it at all to try and throw off Abas focus?

Or just pure trolling/good fun?

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I don't know if anyone noted in the Mars vs aba match, but who remembers that taunt Mars did on the stage as M2 was recovery?

That was pretty funny.

Do you think there was a mindgame aspect to it at all to try and throw off Abas focus?

If I were him I would have known in the back of my head by that point that I would struggle to win the set. So I'd be trying to throw him off in any way I could, and maybe bait some aggression out of what was very defensive play (which ZSS struggles with).

Browny

Smash Hater
I don't know if anyone noted in the Mars vs aba match, but who remembers that taunt Mars did on the stage as M2 was recovering?

That was pretty funny.

Taunt to get bodied is the truest of combos, so any mindgame failed when he lost the match.

TheEvilTurnip

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheEvilTurnip
3DS FC
5386-7994-1326
Players who made it out of Wave B, 1st player is in winners, 2nd and 3rd are in losers

B41: 2GG | VoiD :4sheik:, DG | Sova Unknown :4link:, HoH | suarsuar :4sheik:
B42: Abadango :4mewtwo:, DCe | Average Joe :4dk:, Richie Business :4sheik:
B43: SF HE | Hyuga :4tlink:, Viceroy :rosalina:, Laska #3 :substitute: (idk)
B44: PG | MVD :4diddy:, S2W | Leaf FC :substitute: (plays everyone), Uno :4rob:
B45: ScAtt :4megaman:, Mahgnittoc :4diddy:, SmashG0D :4kirby::4corrinf:
B46: ( . Y . ) | K9sbruce :4sheik:, DC :4bayonetta2:, Mutiny | Apple :4diddy:
B47: 2Scoops | Zenyou :4mario:, RF7 LoCal | C3PO :4diddy:, LML | Draxsel :substitute: (plays everyone)
B48: AGN | San :4myfriends:, HBA | Riz :4sheik:, SAK | Jdawg :4dedede:
Draxsel doesn't play everyone. He mains Captain Falcon (with pocket Bayonetta and Meta Knight), but he only used Flacon during Pound and that's who he used to 2-0 DKwill

On YT I've seen vids of him playing many many characters at weeklies in middle of nowhere New York State
The reason you're probably seeing him play lots of characters is because he doesn't usually need to pick his main to win a tournament, but in Pound he only used his main, Captain Falcon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Anyone know where i can watch the entire top 8 of smash 4? I was unable to watch the tournament over the weekend...

blackghost

Smash Champion
curious to see how long people side with mewtwo players until this becomes more common for him to win. mew^2 is also turning heads lately. all those buffs mewtwo has make him a legit top level threat now.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
This sonic is actually doing pretty good vs Esam. Now lets just see if he can close the stock...
AND HE DID
Too bad I didn't close the set though :'(
I wonder if Camalange Camalange remembered my rant to him before the tournament about not accidentally air dodging just as you get up thrown by Pika, because he's been traveling pretty far on every other up throw since that first game~
I swear I DI'd it... I avoided it every other time. Not sure what I did wrong in that situation. Is it ever true? I may have just not DI'd soon enough or had a late airdodge reaction...

I THOUGHT OF YOU BEFORE GOING INTO THE MATCH BECAUSE I KNEW TO AVOID THAT ISH DON'T WORRY~
Close first two games!!! GOOOOO BOI-O~!!

Ughhhh jab lock and strong confident play third game from esam.
RIP ;_;

I'm glad I didn't lose my cool that second round. It was looking bleak but I avoided kills and had the rage comeback.

He really stepped it up game three though. Wasn't prepared for the momentum shift.
Camalange Camalange making a good case for having me pick Sonic back up after I originally dropped him for Peach

lol ):
Peach is probably the coolest character in the game after Sonic, imo. I love technical characters.
Nice and Oboro action. Bur Cammy played great considering who he was facing. If I was in Cammys spot, I would have lost 2-0 every time. He did not really keep his cool though in that last match. Nice game though
Thanks, but have more faith in yourself ;)
Camalange dropped on the deck and flopped like a fish, but got jab locked.

But seriously, that was a good showing by him. He played well.
dang
Craftis' Sonic is... really exceptional in terms of executed knowledge.
Craftis is really underrated.

He has some of the best tech skill out of all the Sonics, though I think he still has room to learn in terms of overall play.

DKwill was probably the most ideal 1st seed he could've faced considering how tech heavy Sonic can just abuse DK and DK is forced to respect it.
OH MY GOD. CRAFTIS WAS PLAYING GOD LIKE.

That match got me so damn hyped. And Camalange was doing amazing vs esam though.
Thanks Craft and Cammy
I'm back on the Sonic hype train now
@DjentCraftis' pressure on DKWill was ridiculous. Camalange and Craftis having strong showcases with Sonic today.
^-^

:093:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom