• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Pound 2016 Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
He used MK for one match. Idk, top 8 out of 900+ with solo M2 screams somewhere in high tier to me, making mince meat of two other perceived top tiers Fox and multiple Sheiks.
Not only that but Rosalina isn't even a bad MU. If you had the choice of an even match or a +2 advantage then of course you'd pick the latter. Abadango has the advantage of knowing many characters and marking M2 down just because of it seems a bit silly.

Djent

Smash Champion
You all aren't very good at being consistent. Mewtwo's results at majors are still worse than Pika's without a doubt, arguably worse than a lot of other characters because he couldn't do it solo. He ain't high tier yet. I'll believe it when Mewtwo does it multiple times... completely solo. No MK backup.
ESAM's top 8 placements occurred long enough ago that they're barely relevant to determining character viability now. Same for Ike/MM. 1.1.3 onwards is practically a different game for a number of reasons.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
>ESAM being the only solo Pikachu to make top 8 in major tournaments? "ESAM is the only thing holding up Pika's results, the rat shouldn't be in top tier"

>Solo Ike and MegaMan both get a top 8 at a major tournament, in the bottom half of mid tier in the official list

>Mewtwo gets one shared top 8 result, everyone is claiming he should be high tier and nobody claiming its Aba holding up Mewtwo's results.

You all aren't very good at being consistent. Mewtwo's results at majors are still worse than Pika's without a doubt, arguably worse than a lot of other characters because he couldn't do it solo. He ain't high tier yet. I'll believe it when Mewtwo does it multiple times... completely solo. No MK backup.
I agree that we'll need to see more consistency from Mewtwo, especially since Aba is amazing + MU knowledge is probably playing a part, but you can't deny that he's high tier after this. And unlike characters like Ike, Mega Man or even Greninja, it doesn't look like an uphill battle for him against the top characters. He just 3-0'd one of the USA's best players using two top tiers.

He used MK for one match. Idk, top 8 out of 900+ with solo M2 screams somewhere in high tier to me, making mince meat of two other perceived top tiers Fox and multiple Sheiks.
I think there were ~500 entrants (Melee had about 800-900) but yeah.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I just wanna say to all Mewtwo mains (as well as secondaries, I picked him up about a month ago ;)): You freaking earned this! All this time playing a character that has been relentlessly mocked, endlessly ridiculed, and you stayed with ol' Mewtwo no matter what! You guys deserved this so much for sticking with him and developing his meta even before he was in the spotlight. This is really an amazing day for Mewtwo players far and wide. This is meta development. This is how we make progress!

I love Mewtwo! :150:

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I just wanna say to all Mewtwo mains (as well as secondaries, I picked him up about a month ago ;)): You freaking earned this! All this time playing a character that has been relentlessly mocked, endlessly ridiculed, and you stayed with ol' Mewtwo the no matter what! You guys deserved this so much for sticking with him and developing his meta even before he was in the spotlight. This is really an amazing day for Mewtwo players far and wide. This is meta development. This is how we make progress!

I love Mewtwo! :150:
I wish we Jigglypuff mains could say this lol

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I agree that we'll need to see more consistency from Mewtwo, especially since Aba is amazing + MU knowledge is probably playing a part, but you can't deny that he's high tier after this. And unlike characters like Ike, Mega Man or even Greninja, it doesn't look like an uphill battle for him against the top characters. He just 3-0'd one of the USA's best players using two top tiers.
Yes I can. I'll say it again: M2 isn't high tier. He doesn't have the consistency yet. I can say "That was just Aba being amazing" and nobody can prove me wrong because no other M2 is on that level. You have no proof its the character and not the player, Aba is a top level international player. He absolutely can take out top level people like Dabuz (remember what he did with Wario?). Pika at least has NAKAT secondarying him some times on the national stage. The other M2s do great at a local or regional level, but not national.

By the 4BR's standards: M2 isn't high tier until multiple people can do what Aba did. Without MK. And that's the truth, no amount of hype overrules that.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Yes I can. I'll say it again: M2 isn't high tier. He doesn't have the consistency yet. I can say "That was just Aba being amazing" and nobody can prove me wrong because no other M2 is on that level. You have no proof its the character and not the player, Aba is a top level international player. He absolutely can take out top level people like Dabuz (remember what he did with Wario?). Pika at least has NAKAT secondarying him some times on the national stage. The other M2s do great at a local or regional level, but not national.

By the 4BR's standards: M2 isn't high tier until multiple people can do what Aba did. Without MK. And that's the truth, no amount of hype overrules that.
You realize by high tier we mean 16-29 and whatever else along that lines right?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i guess :4fox: isnt high tier then

who other than larry lurr pulls in consistent results?

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
xzax, sodrek, shogune,.......

regardless mewtwo is "mid tier" by the 4BR standards. But no one likes there definiton of high tier anyway

:150:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Did Tweek just die to a Jab?

EDIT: And Mewtwo is the highest placing DLC. Cloud and Bayo out at 7th.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182

As others have already pointed out, plenty of top characters are "carried" by one player at national level.

I don't know why you would use 4BR's definition of high tier when it's incredibly flawed. This is the most balanced Smash game ever and Smash has never had less than ~1/3rd of the roster being high tier or above, yet they've got 3 top tiers and 10 high tiers? Less than 1/4 of the roster. Furthermore, almost every top player who posts a tier list (including ZeRo and Dabuz, who voted on the BR's list) has their high tier extending down to around 25th.

You're clinging to an archaic 1.1.3 definition of high tier that never really existed in the first place.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
What a heartbreaker for Tweek ;__;

Ally's Up Smash destroys dreams. Every single time.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Well I mean, ESAM used corrin on Ally, so it isn't a solo Pikachu run.

omg guys smh pikachu's results are so invalidated by that one use of a secondary

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Apropos nothing looks like bc1910 got their wish.

Mewtwo is the highest placing DLC character this tourney.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace

Its not just results, its how they are gotten. M2 looks like a high tier when you see him played like that. Plus you arent considering enough of his results anyway. But irregardless, even when Ike got top 8 he didnt look like a high tier. You have to actually look at what is happening in the match. How the character is able to mix stuff up, cover options, ko, evade stuff etc etc, whether the char wins because the opponent screws up/doesnt know the matchup or because the char is stronk as hell. M2 looks pretty stronk 2 me. In contrast even when Larry has beaten top players with his DK that didnt rly make it look like DK was high tier. Same with Ike and several others.

If you the character is good its good, irregardless of how many players use it at top level. Basically.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
>people spamming "ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RAISE YOUR ABADONGERS ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ" in chat

We did it redd-I mean Smashboards

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Actually, Marss has done just as well or better than Nairo in all the supernationals they've both been to that I know of (Genesis and Pound).

EDIT: I make a post and I miss Aba doing Nair footstool Disable kill on Marss.

Last edited:

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
Abadango showing that ZSS' ladder combo doesn't kill with proper DI, even on a stage like T&C.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
As others have already pointed out, plenty of top characters are "carried" by one player at national level.

I don't know why you would use 4BR's definition of high tier when it's incredibly flawed. This is the most balanced Smash game ever and Smash has never had less than ~1/3rd of the roster being high tier or above, yet they've got 3 top tiers and 10 high tiers? Less than 1/4 of the roster. Furthermore, almost every top player who posts a tier list (including ZeRo and Dabuz, who voted on the BR's list) has their high tier extending down to around 25th.

You're clinging to an archaic 1.1.3 definition of high tier that never really existed in the first place.
I'm not "clinging" to anything: its the only official list we have around here. It certainly exists: its in the first page of the other discussion topic. I'd much rather go by that than say, Zero who puts Shulk at the top of mid tier. Unless they change their grading system next time around: M2 ain't high tier.

If they change their system? Maybe. We don't know, it depends on how its changed if at all.

And yes, ESAM's run wasn't a solo one either. Though he still lost to Ally and generally secondary characters that don't let you advance in the tournament aren't counted. Or at least that's how it was in Brawl, it seems to be a bit flip floppy on that in SSB4.

On paper M2 also looks great there yes. So does Peach. You need both the theoretical data and the results to be high tier. M2 has the theoretical data, and he's starting to get the results. He's not there yet, there is nothing to prove it's not just Aba being amazing. Or lack of MU knowledge on the part of the others, M2 still ain't exactly a common pick but I don't exactly know each region by heart which is why I didn't bring up that point earlier.

Its pretty cool that a M2 is doing so amazing and all of that. He's very fun to watch. It wouldn't surprise me if M2 eventually gets to that point where he's considered a high tier. But he doesn't have the consistency yet. Like I hinted at before: Aba doing amazing with Wario didn't exactly shoot him to the ceiling.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Abadango is our Grand Finalist on Winners Side.

Is this the first time he's ever gotten to this position in a national major?

Last edited:

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
well mewtwo is in grands
also does anybody feel that the players have no exp against m2

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I haven't been this excited since BEAST 6

Thank you, abadango, for making me look smart for saying Mewtwo is high tier (even though I'm not :p )

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I guess this game doesn't have any high tiers, then.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Good stuff to Abadango but man Marss was playing really nervous. Never seen him miss so many grabs.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'm not "clinging" to anything: its the only official list we have around here. It certainly exists: its in the first page of the other discussion topic. I'd much rather go by that than say, Zero who puts Shulk at the top of mid tier. Unless they change their grading system next time around: M2 ain't high tier.

If they change their system? Maybe. We don't know, it depends on how its changed if at all.

And yes, ESAM's run wasn't a solo one either. Though he still lost to Ally and generally secondary characters that don't let you advance in the tournament aren't counted. Or at least that's how it was in Brawl, it seems to be a bit flip floppy on that in SSB4.

On paper M2 also looks great there yes. So does Peach. You need both the theoretical data and the results to be high tier. M2 has the theoretical data, and he's starting to get the results. He's not there yet, there is nothing to prove it's not just Aba being amazing. Or lack of MU knowledge on the part of the others, M2 still ain't exactly a common pick but I don't exactly know each region by heart which is why I didn't bring up that point earlier.

Its pretty cool that a M2 is doing so amazing and all of that. He's very fun to watch. It wouldn't surprise me if M2 eventually gets to that point where he's considered a high tier. But he doesn't have the consistency yet. Like I hinted at before: Aba doing amazing with Wario didn't exactly shoot him to the ceiling.
Did Wario ever make Grand finals though? Also from this tourney we have discovered a very potential kill set up in nair to footstool to disable.

What M2 has displayed here is the ability to kill early, avoid kill set ups thanks to floatiness and airdodge, and able to play neutral because of his shadow ball and hard to rival range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom