• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Most of you were probably here for that CSS leak that happened before E3, right? I don't have the pictures, but it was convincing enough to warrant a 4 days or so debate on whether it was real or not.

In actuality the guy who debunked it via fonts was @HextupleyooDOT, who you can tell from his avatar made the Klonoa art.

I contacted him via Deviantart and he says that he didn't make any of the renders in this leak.

Last edited:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
[Sigh]
This is going nowhere at all. This is getting rather boring now.
There's not much to say. Gotta wait for a new leak or new character/vet reveal. Those will squash or prove it once and for all.

This is unrelated, but I thought this was funny. Most of you were probably here for that CSS leak that happened before E3, right? I don't have the pictures, but it was convincing enough to warrant a 4 days or so debate on whether it was real or not.

In actuality the guy who debunked it via fonts was @HextupleyooDOT, who you can tell from his avatar made the Klonoa art.

I contacted him via Deviantart and he says that he didn't make any of the renders in this leak.
Don't mean to sound like a know it all but the Klonoa thing was a digital painting/drawing in photoshop. A render = 3D art. After you finish creating a 3d figure you pose it in a simplistic preview version of the scene, set up some lights, press a "render" button and then wait a few hours for it to spit out a huge HD version of 3D scene/models/etc. For those who quite get it it's basically this before and after: http://i.imgur.com/iQQsT71.png The one on the right is rendered out, but I cut it short because I didn't have time to let it fully render out so its a bit blurry but you get the idea.

People have specifically been calling the character art in this leak "renders" to really push how difficult this would be to make compared to a speed painting in photoshop. But the Klonoa thing shows that it could be a painting or renders. Either or.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
A lot of people have very little understanding of the game development process so that guy missing one character is not a big deal to those who do understand it. Tons of things change from pre-development into actual development. That very precise list was way too accurate to ignore... http://i.imgur.com/NrCYfRs.png

It was confirmed they wanted a 6th Gen Pokemon before they even finished concepting all of the 6th Gen Pokemon. It was decided to be Greninja since one of the only concept sketches during pre-X/Y was Greninja. That right there tells us that it was a leak from the early stages of development and "Chrom" was probably in the same vein as "Pokemon from X/Y" and was probably just a placeholder until Sakurai finished playing Awakening and realized Robin would be more fitting. Chrom is just a synonym for "FE:A Protagonist" but once you actually play it you realize there are two/three main characters to choose from like FE7's Lyn, Hector, Eliwood.

The "leaker" who visited here was always very sketchy to me though. That's when it started to sound flawed and fake with the whole "Shulk tomorrow!!!" BS. Anyone can fake an account here. I have the same thoughts about the "anons" who claimed to be the leakers for this leak. They could easily just be piggybacking on the leak to screw with us with vague comments.
My point is that the lack of specificness on Greninja is evidence towards Gematsu's legitimacy, mainly because of what Sakurai said about Greninja at E3. There's no reason to be vague if you've already thrown Chorus Men in, so the only good reason to not just say which Pokemon character is because he didn't know.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
8) This is mostly speculative on my part, but I've been unduly hyped for Smash games since 1999 and thus combed for every shred of data. Just from my sheer volume of reading over the years: the Duck Hunt Dog has come up an absurd amount of times and fits all of Sakurai's criteria for uniqueness, as well as the tradition of throwing in an off the wall retro favorite.

Duck Hunt Dog is for sure on my new main rotation.
That's true People were always asking for Duck Hunt Dog for many years. I've been supporting DHD since 2002 (I didn't support anyone for SSB2 since I didn't know Melee was announced till after it was already out - this was before the Internet became part of my daily life) and DHD along with Little Mac and Pit were among the first characters I supported online since the Nsider days.

Pit is already one of my mains... and Little Mac is definitely going to be one of my mains... I just love his playstyle... and if this leak is real, Duck Hunt Dog will be my #1 main for sure!

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Been gone for 4 hours and 4 more pages get added, what's up?
Nothing, literally nothing. We have nothing to refer to as the leaks themselves have been analyzed into oblivion. All we can do is wait for either more leaks or official updates.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
Nah the most reasonable answer is people are blinded my their want for it to be legit.
Bit late, but I really hate these types of comments. They're so cyclical and pointless. I can just as easily say the most reasonable answer as to why people are denying it in the face of all this evidence presented is because they don't want it to be real. Goes both ways.

D

Deleted member

Nothing, literally nothing. We have nothing to refer to as the leaks themselves have been analyzed into oblivion. All we can do is wait for either more leaks or official updates.
Alright

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Side-bar: Can we agree that it's ridiculous to stake any argument on claims preceded by "Sakurai wouldn't do X/Sakurai would have done X"? 'ROB is in SSE, he wouldn't be in the game!', 'The side characters on the Melee CSS are slightly off, Sakurai would never have such a sloppy screen!', 'Obviously Toon Link is cut because he wouldn't put him in the game AND on Spirit Tracks'... etc. You can't predict the man and the list of those who think they can (myself included) could extend to the moon.
I'm not talking about a character addition here. Look at this:

Compared to:

And I'm not talking about having some of the character slots being slightly lower like in Melee's css when it comes to the thumbnails being centered. There is no design here at all whatsoever. It's just a bunch of thumbnails lined up next to each other. And on one screen they're centered and on the other they're not. Not only is it incredibly lazy, but it's not even consistent. If you really believe that after everything that Sakurai has done in past games and then decided that this was a good choice, then you are beyond reasoning with.

2/10. Wouldn't read again.
Fine by me. I never asked you to read it once. And if we're rating each other's posts here, I'd give yours a zero since your post added nothing to the thread.

That bit of blue everybody thinks is the Duck's neck is clearly his wing.

Funny how you assume I don't know what I'm talking about and then you don't know what I'm talking about. This should be added into the second post, but, anyway the white part to left of his head is the start of his neck. The bottom of his head is on the right of his head. His neck would have to be this long:

That's just flat out wrong. Some people call it a design choice, but that duck is designed after this duck:

The white part is nothing more than a stripe. Not a long, gangly neck.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Funny how its more like everyone hates this leak and doesn't want it to be real because it doesn't have their favorite char in it such as King K Rool or Ridley or whatever
Not at all the case. I seriously LOVE this leaked roster. Shulk is my most wanted newcomer, and I think Duck Hunt would be hysterical. I don't care at all about K Rool, Mewtwo, or Ridley, and I also don't mind the clones or the abundance of Mario characters. I've been convinced for a while that we're getting 47-50 characters with only one or two more newcomers, so 51 with four more newcomers would make me ecstatic.

That said, I still don't believe the leak. Admittedly, there's no good explanation of the Tomadachi room without some kind of Famitsu leak conspiracy, but at the same time that conspiracy is nowhere near as complicated as the multi-man conspiracy of deceptive character naming, pic sharing, and preemptive editing that has become this leak. When an entire leak relies upon one piece of evidence, that evidence needs to be rock-solid, and I don't feel that the Tomadachi room is quite definitive enough to carry this entire leak on its own. Most of the rest of the leak looks good, but not so much that it couldn't be faked. Also, there have been several blatant issues with the leak that have been essentially written off, one of which just because the leaker himself gave an unverifiable justification (as I've said before, no offense to the leakers, just due suspicion). But the next character reveal should clinch it, either way. Until then, I'm not ruling the leak out, but it's fake until proven real beyond a reasonable doubt. I'm keeping expectations low. I don't want to get hyped for this and have the actual roster disappoint me.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
That's just flat out wrong. Some people call it a design choice, but that duck is designed after this duck:
It's been roughly thirty years since Duck Hunt came out. I don't know why you view it as impossible that the duck got a slight change in appearance between the piece of art we're looking at now and an NES sprite.

So yeah, design choice. Possible goof if it's fake, but I don't think it's anywhere as big a point as people are making it out to be.

Edit: Alternatively, it could even be real and somebody just messed up on the perspective. I'd like to hold Namco-Bandai/Sakurai to a higher standard than that, but stuff like this does happen every now and again in the industry.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I really hope that this game as a "Hazards Off" button. However it is unlikely considering Sakurai's love for chaos.

TheBoozehammer

Smash Cadet
It's been roughly thirty years since Duck Hunt came out. I don't know why you view it as impossible that the duck got a slight change in appearance between the piece of art we're looking at now and an NES sprite.

So yeah, design choice. Possible goof if it's fake, but I don't think it's anywhere as big a point as people are making it out to be.

Edit: Alternatively, it could even be real and somebody just messed up on the perspective. I'd like to hold Namco-Bandai/Sakurai to a higher standard than that, but stuff like this does happen every now and again in the industry.
Also, the colors are completely different between the two ducks. The entire neck could just be white now, instead of just a stripe.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Another thing that seems strange is the on the stage select screen, Battlefield seems really tilted compared to the other stages. Now I am not saying that this is any evidence against the leak, as I myself think the leak is legit.

YB78GuN.jpg

EDIT:
Also Final Destination also seems weirdly aligned.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean

It's a duck. Let me show you. This is a duck:

Look at that. The white part is a stripe, just like in the NES game. So you're telling me, that the NES game Duck Hunt would depict a duck more realistically than a Wii U game? Sakurai made a design choice to make the duck look less realistic?

See this?

That's a goose. It's kinda like a duck, but with a longer neck. So, by making the neck longer, you would be making it resemble a goose more than a duck. Again, what kind of design choice is that? "Let's make that duck look more like a goose." That's stupid.
Also, the colors are completely different between the two ducks. The entire neck could just be white now, instead of just a stripe.
I guess you never played Duck Hunt? There were blue ducks with purple heads in the game.

Last edited:

TheBoozehammer

Smash Cadet

Look at that. The white part is a stripe, just like in the NES game. So you're telling me, that the NES game Duck Hunt would depict a duck more realistically than a Wii U game? Sakurai made a design choice to make the duck look less realistic?

See this?

That's a goose. It's kinda like a duck, but with a longer neck. So, by making the neck longer, you would be making it resemble a goose more than a duck. Again, what kind of design choice is that? "Let's make that duck look more like a goose." That's stupid.
It's a cartoon duck, the proportions can look however they like.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753

...you're acting snarky now because a cartoon style duck in a video game is now less realistic? Are you serious?

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
I'm not talking about a character addition here. Look at this:

Compared to:

And I'm not talking about having some of the character slots being slightly lower like in Melee's css when it comes to the thumbnails being centered. There is no design here at all whatsoever. It's just a bunch of thumbnails lined up next to each other. And on one screen they're centered and on the other they're not. Not only is it incredibly lazy, but it's not even consistent. If you really believe that after everything that Sakurai has done in past games and then decided that this was a good choice, then you are beyond reasoning with.

Fine by me. I never asked you to read it once. And if we're rating each other's posts here, I'd give yours a zero since your post added nothing to the thread.

Funny how you assume I don't know what I'm talking about and then you don't know what I'm talking about. This should be added into the second post, but, anyway the white part to left of his head is the start of his neck. The bottom of his head is on the right of his head. His neck would have to be this long:

The white part is nothing more than a stripe. Not a long, gangly neck.
I feel like I saw the duck thing somewhere before... Anyways the dog is different why wouldn't the duck be different?
Another thing that seems strange is the on the stage select screen, Battlefield seems really tilted compared to the other stages. Now I am not saying that this is any evidence against the leak, as I myself think the leak is legit.

View attachment 22831

EDIT:
Also Final Destination also seems weirdly aligned.
We've seen Battlefield's SSS before though as it was at E3

Last edited:

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
lol. And you believers say the non-believers are in denial.
Denial isn't the word I'd use for that retort of yours, but whatever. I know when I'm debating with a brick wall, so I'll just leave you to it.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I've been viewing this thread for the first time since I've been away. Hmmm, nothing new added to the table. To be expected but I honestly cannot wait for the next reveal. The art work of said character would make or break this thing. It seems to be going in circles right now and that's not fun.

Should the worse case scenario happen, then good night sweet Wolf. May the developers make thee to thy free DLC (if we have DLC)

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
I thought mods said no flaming. So just stop arguing... Let's discuss more things

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

The size of a duck's neck can fluctuate. They don't have to stick to one size. In other words, not too big. It can be resized.

Never would I ever think a post like this would be made and yet still be on topic.

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
lol
You guys keep trying to disprove this leak with things that aren't even viable.
You aren't designing the game, so pointing out a design direction isn't a good argument.
Nothing shown so far is really a good reason to believe it's fake.
Nor believe it's real.

JCAndre

Smash Apprentice
Can everyone stop arguing and agree the next stage/character announcement will be what ultimately decides this leak? There's no true definitive proof for either case.

I'm probably asking for too much, but the name calling and meanness of a lot of you is upsetting me

Zacoftheaxes

Smash Cadet
Gematsu's entire crutch was Wii Fit Trainer, though - I never bought it was just a good guess (With Greninja and details about his inclusion combined with the strange out-of-place lack of specifics on his character name in Gematsu I STILL don't really buy Gematsu was a fake, but time will tell on this...)

But this does seem to have a bit more to stand on. Every photoshop leak I can think of is generally exposed within an hour to a day of the initial postings or details are found that contradict it on some level. Things like Kirby's line thickness, for example, serve nothing to help the leak, yet it was there despite only being a buggy feature at the E3 demo. Tomodachi and Paper Mario's stages being at totally different angles with correlating features is also very suspect and seem a bit odd.

To explain why I think survival of scrutiny gives it credibility, it's exactly because it's been several days of ceaseless analysis to find inconsistent details in the pictures whereas Gematsu only survived a year because it went at Sakurai's pace for character reveals because it was text based. I'm not aware of Photo leaks sans Palutena's (which was far less elaborate and detailed-to-the-brim as this) lasting for extended periods of time.
There was a "leaked" roster screenshot that was considered pretty likely for a few weeks until Ike was confirmed. What happened is that people forgot it afterwards.

Granted, it was bigger on 4chan and Reddit and not here.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Man, this leak has got to everyones head lol. We have resorted to discussing ducks...

Last edited:

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
Looks like someone's degree in ornithology should be revoked.

Can everyone stop arguing and agree the next stage/character announcement will be what ultimately decides this leak? There's no true definitive proof for either case.
Debate and argument aren't the same thing. If anything I'm enjoying all the back and forth. Which brings me to the fact that, man, I am gonna be really bored that brief period between the Japanese and North American release. This has been great in helping to pass the time.

Homsar3

Smash Apprentice

See this?

I guess you never played Duck Hunt? There were blue ducks with purple heads in the game.
First things first let me state right here: Smash Bros is never canonical to size... and the Duck Hunt series has been proven to follow an incredibly cartoon-y style, as proven by the Duck's necks extending after they have been shot for... what reason? Duck Hunt itself didn't keep the duck's Neck size equal, there is therefore no justification in calling out the development team, whether they be official, or really good fakers, on the proportions of a fictional duck's neck. Also, the duck's body is towards the camera in this pic, suggesting his neck may not be as long as it seems... also... have some freaking fun! This debate isn't really all about ending the leak now, it's more about riding it out to release, to help build the hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom