• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Guys just wanted confirmation, was it the motherf**king leaker who posted the picture with all the characters, with "x's" over the cut veterans and a question mark over Mewtwo, or was that someone else?
No. It was someone else.

D

Deleted member

I'm laughing at the duck neck analysis. This is what the debate has come to? (Sigh)

And people who knock the SSS for being ugly or unlike past games... One word for you: 3DS.

1) It has TWO SCREENS. What the leak shows is only HALF THE MENU. The bottom screen is shown in a Dream scan and is a pretty and well designed menu like the rest of the UI. The top screen is just a simple intuitive user friendly interface to choose a stage on a small screen.

2) Small screen. It has to be easy to choose from all these options. Leave the eye candy for the other screen.

3)3D. I'm sure those stage boxes pop out at you and look cool in person.
Yeah, I agree. The CSS doesn't have names placed on the characters probably because the 3DS has a small screen, I guess? But yeah, the stages have to be easy to choose from, like you said.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapnMuffin

Smash Apprentice
From what we can tell...

Top Screen: Simple grid of stages/characters that pop out in 3D. Kept minimal to make it easy to choose from while still seeing everything at once.

Bottom Screen: The UI we are used to seeing, such as shown in pictures and scans. Details what is being selected above.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
At this point, I have to say that I'm reasonably convinced the leak is true just by there not having been any damning evidence against it after this long (against the CSS/SSS, at any rate; how the rest of the stuff relates is a mess that I've long since stopped trying to sort through and I'm pretty sure is severable from the meat of the leak anyway).

It's funny, because the one point that most seem to claim most vehemently being for it, that being the Tomodachi Life stage icon, doesn't really carry any weight in my opinion. I'm more impressed by how believably the content we knew about already is being represented on the CSS. The fact that the CSS renders for Peach, Rosalina, and a number of others were present for a split-second in that 3DS modes trailer would have been super-easy to overlook (indeed, I'd plumb forgotten it and Rosalina's render seemed strange because of it, but matches up perfectly in hindsight); Fox's slot color changing being corroborated elsewhere (although oddly enough that's not depicted accurately in the second post), etc. I don't know that most have an issue with this specifically at this point, but of course the names would've likely been removed if the full 49+ characters were going to show up on one screen; at a resolution of 400 pixels, that leaves a mere 45 pixels per name (that's 4 pixels per character in "Meta Knight"), which would take up valuable screen space whilst being completely unreadable. The interspersing of old and new stages does seem odd, but the selection itself seems pretty sensible (though I'll admit that might be partially personal bias speaking, as WarioWare and PictoChat were my favorite non-neutral Brawl stages). And I know this concerns the Ninka-Vaanrose leak more so than this (they seem pretty intertwined anyway), but I can't come up with any way anyone should have known about the new alternate colors for Mario and Bowser prior to E3, so I'm convinced there are legitimate sources related to this somehow.

Really, with the amount of time this leak has stood at least viable with pictorial evidence (which is inherently very disprovable), it sickens me to hear this repeatedly compared to the Gematsu leak. Not just because I never bought it 100% (admittedly, with Shulk's apparent inclusion, I'm more willing now to concede that there might've been some legitimate information from early in development behind it), but because that list of characters, no matter how many were correct, could not have possibly been disproved until launch without explicitly deconfirming one of them. As Das Koopa said a bit ago, it operated on a different timescale entirely, namely the speed at which characters were being confirmed. I'll extend that and say that text leaks are ALWAYS going to operate at a ton slower of a timescale, as there's only as much detail in a text leak as is explicit in the text, whereas a pictorial leak of anything mildly interesting has a number of things that could reasonably disconfirm it even if they weren't the main focus of the picture.

But that's all just my two cents; I'm still not remotely close to 100% sure about the leak, but I'm eager to see how its likelihood'll change based on what we see from future P's-otD and so forth.
While it's easy to say the CSS should be considered alone, it was leaked along with several other pictures which use large versions of the same character renders, so it definitely is tied to those pictures. The gameplay shots and/or SSS shots could arguably be unrelated, but the two CSS pics and four larger character pics are almost definitely all or nothing.

Amongst those six CSS-related pictures there are lots of errors and nonsensical changes that have been noted. Probably most egregious is that Disabled is spelled wrong. The leaker has offered an explanation, but since when do we accept unverifiable explanations from the actual leaker? If we attributed every flaw in a leak to the leaker tampering with the image, then we'd never be able to disprove any visual leak ever. Further, Wario and Falco's icons have been noted to HIGHLY resemble cutscenes from SSE. With the shoddy picture quality we can't do an exact comparison, but the resemblance is undeniable. Mr. Game & Watch also has his outline from past SSB games, while his appearance in Pac-Man's trailer lacked this outline (which is almost definitely his official SSB4 design, since we are WAY too late in development for complete character design overhauls to be happening).

Next we have the issue that what appear to be player characters have levels instead of names. Theoretically I guess this is possible, but it makes no sense that someone named their character "Lv. 8". The last flaw, while not hugely convincing to some people, is a huge issue to me. That's that Yoshi is in the middle of the Mario characters, despite not being a part of the Super Mario group in past SSB games. Yes, the roster may not be final, but given that the roster appears to slide like Brawl's there's no real way Yoshi could jump 2+ spots to the right with the addition of 5 or fewer characters. And no character in SSB has ever not been connected directly to every single other member of that character's series. I'll grant that maybe the clones are an exception and they can be in their own clone section, but Yoshi has NO reason to be interrupting the Super Mario characters for the first time in SSB history.

These are just examples of legitimate concerns people have brought up. I don't mean to start all these old arguments again, and you can definitely disagree with the validity of some or all of them, but the point is that the leak has not been completely uncontested. The argument that it must be true just because it hasn't been debunked already is not in itself super convincing, especially when so many concerns HAVE arisen. I will say, though, that if this truly is a fake, the leaker ought to pat themselves on the back for the incredible job they've done. The renders and menus and everything are quite detailed and professional.

CapnMuffin

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I agree. The CSS doesn't have names placed on the characters probably because the 3DS has a small screen, I guess? But yeah, the stages have to be easy to choose from, like you said.
Yeah that too. Someone recreated the leak but with character names, using proper 3DS resolution... The resulting icons were... Poor.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
I will say, though, that if this truly is a fake, the leaker ought to pat themselves on the back for the incredible job they've done. The renders and menus and everything are quite detailed and professional.
I absolutely agree. While I'd love for this roster to be real I think it being fake would be just as entertaining. Wouldn't even be mad. Somebody would have to hire that person.

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
Did the Smash 3/Ninka/Ninka Texture guy ever get back to us with that proof. Don't hate me I was just really busy yesterday and this morning.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
Did the Smash 3/Ninka/Ninka Texture guy ever get back to us with that proof. Don't hate me I was just really busy yesterday and this morning.
I don't believe he did, no. Wanna say he commented with something along the lines of "have been busy and it really doesn't matter in the grander scheme of this supposed leak anyway", to paraphrase. He is correct, though I'm curious to see this proof he mentioned.

lavadeira

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0917-9729
I don't believe he did, no. Wanna say he commented with something along the lines of "have been busy and it really doesn't matter in the grander scheme of this supposed leak anyway", to paraphrase. He is correct, though I'm curious to see this proof he mentioned.
Thanks, I've been wondering that too. That was why I came here today first place but got derailed with all that duck stuff.

By the way, did anyone figure out what's the pink stage?

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I wasn't feeling the roster too much, but now that I've warmed up to it I'm more hyped than ever! I also think that it's real and I can not wait to main me some Shulk. Just bought Xenoblade Chronicles off of Ebay today to further build my hype! <3

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, I've been wondering that too. That was why I came here today first place but got derailed with all that duck stuff.

Most likely Magicant or a Rhythem Heaven stage

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753

Hey, gotta get the really important stuff out of the way first.

Common theory still maintains it's Magicant from MOTHER, Fluffy Pink Cloud from Earthbound, or a Rhythm Heaven stage. We aren't sure, but I sincerely doubt it's Fluffy Pink Cloud since even the sky seems to have that color. Doesn't really match if I'm remembering the area accurately.

Last edited:

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
Hey, gotta get the really important stuff out of the way first.

Common theory still maintains it's Magicant from MOTHER, Fluffy Pink Cloud from Earthbound, or a Rhythm Heaven stage. We aren't sure, but I sincerely doubt it's Fluffy Pink Cloud since ever the sky seems to have that color. Doesn't really match if I'm remembering the area accurately.
If I remember correctly it was also thought to be a traveling stage around the "Your Sanctuary" locations

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
@Edel They're requesting you, your highness.

Lord Edel is freshening up before he comes to this discussion.

Please wait patiently.

Last edited:

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
If I remember correctly it was also thought to be a traveling stage around the "Your Sanctuary" locations
I would absolutely love that were it the case. Earthbound is by far my favorite Nintendo game so the more areas that are represented, the better in my book.

Last edited:

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
I would absolutely love that were it the case. Earthbound is by far my favorite Nintendo game.
Me too man, me too. If ness isn't in the game I probably wouldn't buy to be completely honest. Harsh I know, but he's my main and my favorite

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle

Sorry for being late since my internet were out for awhile. 20 more days! :D
The wait. It is going to be even harsher waiting for the US release. But thankfully, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare and Destiny on PS4 will keep me more than busy. And school...

lavadeira

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0917-9729
I would absolutely love that were it the case. Earthbound is by far my favorite Nintendo game so the more areas that are represented, the better in my book.
Yes, it would be fantastic. Not my favorite game of all time, but retro, hell yeah. And I would be gladly surprised to see them make a deeper allusion to Earthbound than main locations like Onett.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800

Worth pointing out that the actual "Disabled" picture does exist, to those who are using "disablad" against the leak.

Last edited:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141

Worth pointing out that the actual "Disabled" picture does exist, to those who are using "disablad" against the leak.
I do have to wonder though why Ganondorf's image is more sharper than the other characters. Charizard, Lucina, and Robin look "smudged".

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I think Ganondorf's face is just generally more detailed. They all look blurry, but the other three don't have the same sort of detail going on.

okleedoke

Smash Rookie
You know what bothers me the most about this leak, not even joking...but why doesn't the Duck Hunt Dog have the little black dots/whiskers around his mouth like he does on the NES. So Sakurai and the designers go through the trouble of incorporating Lucina's mark of Naga on her eye, despite how small and insignificant it appears, just so that it would stay faithful to the character design...yet the DHD model glaringly omits one of his only classic characteristics. That said I hope the leak is true cause I love the characters, but it just doesn't seem faithful to the design.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
i see the whisker spots. is it just me? they aren't very dark but it looks like they're there.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
I'm not talking about a character addition here. Look at this:

Compared to:

And I'm not talking about having some of the character slots being slightly lower like in Melee's css when it comes to the thumbnails being centered. There is no design here at all whatsoever. It's just a bunch of thumbnails lined up next to each other. And on one screen they're centered and on the other they're not. Not only is it incredibly lazy, but it's not even consistent. If you really believe that after everything that Sakurai has done in past games and then decided that this was a good choice, then you are beyond reasoning with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxw8ARDzLbw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAwX2adg2kI

^Stage Select Screen in the demo.

Last edited:

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
"Demo". It's not surprising that the demo looked unfinished in terms of the character and stage select screens. It was an early build of the game. The final game should look more complete and have some sort of design like all the other Smash games do. But I will say it again. #teamreal.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I've heard people entirely convinced on both sides, and for the record.. y'all sound arrogant lol. I can see this leak being real, and I can see it being fake. Like literally there are so many things that look and feel wrong with the scans, but I wouldn't put them past releasing an unpolished looking CSS and stage select screen. Make all the "It's the 3DS" excuses you want, it's below Nintendo's and Sakurai's usual standards.

I personally don't mind the potential leak's roster too much, plenty of characters to fool around with, and potentially some more? I have on idea.

#teamanythingcanhappen

Jakester897

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jakester897
3DS FC
0645-6281-7625
So, I have been lurking around this thread for a little while now, and I have seen all of the evidence.
Ignoring my personal stance for now, I noticed something odd about the Duck Hunt Dog's render: someone managed to make a higher-quality render of it than what is shown in the leak. You've probably all seen it by now; it's in the second post.

It's a little bizarre that someone could be able to make this fake that looks like the actual source material for the render. Joalro has been very thorough, so I assume that when confronted with this image, he or someone else would have done a reverse image search to try to track where this came from. However, just for my own sake, I decided to do one myself.

Very few results. Seems innocuous. However, if we zoom in a little...

Well, that certainly shouldn't be possible.

I opened the page to investigate, but the site's interface is such a mess that I could only find posts from up to four days ago.

Is this a mistake with Google's algorithm? That seems like the only possible explanation. If someone else could do some more investigating, that would be great. It's probably nothing, but this image's whole existence just seems fishy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom