• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Funny how you assume I don't know what I'm talking about and then you don't know what I'm talking about. This should be added into the second post, but, anyway the white part to left of his head is the start of his neck. The bottom of his head is on the right of his head. His neck would have to be this long:

That's just flat out wrong. Some people call it a design choice, but that duck is designed after this duck:

The white part is nothing more than a stripe. Not a long, gangly neck.
I see how you'd interpret it that way. But I'm almost positive that white part is his eye. You can even make out his pupil. He's got big googly cartoon eyes.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
but they look stupid when resized, it ruins the character. duck's necks are known for towering over the samus and it just wouldn't look right otherwise. they are literally too big for smash.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
... also... have some freaking fun! This debate isn't really all about ending the leak now, it's more about riding it out to release, to help build the hype!
Yeah I dunno about that anymore. It seems everyone has had enough of this leak and now we just want closure on it. It was fun at first but now we are talking about the features of ducks and it's only been a few days. Imagine what would happen if this leak was still being discussed till release...

Last edited:

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
"You aren't Sakurai" is such a bad way of dismissing any sort of prediction. We can't know for sure what he'd do, but we can make reasonable guesses.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I see how you'd interpret it that way. But I'm almost positive that white part is his eye. You can even make out his pupil. He's got big googly cartoon eyes.
His left eye (our right) looks flat though, at least to me.

Am I the only one?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Man, this leak has got to everyone head lol. We have resorted to discussing ducks...
Not really, i'm just laughing at the endless back and forth.

Personally, i'd say you guys need more evidence for either side (via pic of the day or direct) so you guys can keep going with this, otherwise it'll be an endless circle for many more pages.

I hope its fake though, back to lurking for me.

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
but they look stupid when resized, it ruins the character. duck's necks are known for towering over the samus and it just wouldn't look right otherwise. they are literally too big for smash.
I love everything about this post.

Can someone tell me why are we expecting more characters? I don't understand, is it because the roster looks "ugly"? XD
Not so much "ugly" as a bit...well, disorganized I suppose. A lot of people are basing the fact that we're getting more characters based on various leaks that were around prior to this who included additional ones, and unless drastic changes are made we have room for four or five more which isn't too outlandish for more unlockables.

Personally, I think what we have is in fact the full roster. That's based on little more than a gut feeling however.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
Man, this leak has got to everyone head lol. We have resorted to discussing ducks...
This thread is just plain crazy. One day we are discussing furniture of a image, the other we are discussing the neck length of ducks. Imagine what we are going to be talking tomorrow...

The "leakers" managed to get what they wanted, one way or another.

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
I love these threads :D anyways, I'm really on edge with this one, I mean, I'm genuinely curious if it's real or not... have we had something similar happen before with Brawl?

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
I'm not talking about a character addition here. Look at this:

Compared to:

And I'm not talking about having some of the character slots being slightly lower like in Melee's css when it comes to the thumbnails being centered. There is no design here at all whatsoever. It's just a bunch of thumbnails lined up next to each other. And on one screen they're centered and on the other they're not. Not only is it incredibly lazy, but it's not even consistent. If you really believe that after everything that Sakurai has done in past games and then decided that this was a good choice, then you are beyond reasoning with.
I definitely see how it's a departure, but take a look at the website for this game. There is definitely a certain pop art-ish theme that they are going for this time around. The outlines, bright colors, and even Sakurai's statements about how this game was meant to be bolder and exaggerated tie into this. The informational aspect of the SSS is on the lower screen, as shown in the new Nintendo Dream scans, and the top is in line with the style of the rest of the game. This is all just my perception, however! Feel free to disagree, I'm fine with this being real, fake, whatever it is. I just want the damn game :p

RetroBro

Smash Ace
It took another insider to denounce the DLC was fake, but the images were not denounced as fake. @anon1776 had his reasons which have been addressed multiple times. I don't see how the validity of the CSS is in jeopardy when the DLC had nothing to do with the images presented. He simply wanted to weed out any copycats.

I'm a bit confused as to how anonymous individuals in this group are credible to begin with, do we personally know that these are in fact separate individuals telling us this? I've seen the leak posts where people are literally taking anonymous people's word for things. That seems so silly @_@...

Unless of course I'm missing something. Was it a different anon, or was it the same anon?

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Can everyone stop arguing and agree the next stage/character announcement will be what ultimately decides this leak? There's no true definitive proof for either case.

I'm probably asking for too much, but the name calling and meanness of a lot of you is upsetting me
Even with a character or stage reveal, people can continue debating. There is always the "leak was outdated" card.
Example: Ness revealed but his pose is completely different. People will say that the character picture in the leak was old.

Lets hope we get a straight hint and not something ambiguous. And knowing Sakurai, that will probably not be the case.

Zacoftheaxes

Smash Cadet
I love these threads :D anyways, I'm really on edge with this one, I mean, I'm genuinely curious if it's real or not... have we had something similar happen before with Brawl?
When Brawl info leaked, it wasn't in the form of pictures (or at least, not most of it). Someone posted a list of the roster and some of those details were leaked previously. By release most people knew the leak was true, though some people were certain it'd be Crystal in the game and not Wolf. It took people a while to accept R.O.B. would be in as well.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean

The size of a duck's neck can fluctuate. They don't have to stick to one size. In other words, not too big. It can be resized.

Never would I ever think a post like this would be made and yet still be on topic.
Good point, but I personally still don't buy it. In Brawl, Sakurai still kept the ducks proportionally the same as they were in the NES game.

It just seems like a really odd choice to suddenly no longer make the ducks look the way they did in the NES game. But that's just me. From here on out, I'll accept if noone else feels the same way.
First things first let me state right here: Smash Bros is never canonical to size... and the Duck Hunt series has been proven to follow an incredibly cartoon-y style, as proven by the Duck's necks extending after they have been shot for... what reason? Duck Hunt itself didn't keep the duck's Neck size equal, there is therefore no justification in calling out the development team, whether they be official, or really good fakers, on the proportions of a fictional duck's neck. Also, the duck's body is towards the camera in this pic, suggesting his neck may not be as long as it seems... also... have some freaking fun! This debate isn't really all about ending the leak now, it's more about riding it out to release, to help build the hype!
The necks extended in the original Duck Hunt because they were being grabbed by the neck, sort of like Bart Simpson's neck in The Simpsons when Homer strangles him. I understand that it is cartoony and that makes sense. But to make the necks permanently longer like that just seems too strange to me.
I don't see a pupil, however I can see the brow above where his right eye would be and the white part extends above it.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It kind of makes sense for the ducks necks to be longer if the dogs method of attacking is swinging them by their necks. In any case I don't think there's more to this roster and I'll be fine with it if it's real, the only things that really bug me about it is the removal of Wolf, Mewtwo not returning, and the omission of a DK newcomer, which I find all 3 to be likely DLC choices anyway.

TheBoozehammer

Smash Cadet
Good point, but I personally still don't buy it. In Brawl, Sakurai still kept the ducks proportionally the same as they were in the NES game.

It just seems like a really odd choice to suddenly no longer make the ducks look the way they did in the NES game. But that's just me. From here on out, I'll accept if noone else feels the same way.

The necks extended in the original Duck Hunt because they were being grabbed by the neck, sort of like Bart Simpson's neck in The Simpsons when Homer strangles him. I understand that it is cartoony and that makes sense. But to make the necks permanently longer like that just seems too strange to me.

I don't see a pupil, however I can see the brow above where his right eye would be and the white part extends above it.
The design changes in other ways too, like the color of the head being completely different. And that is ignoring the dog.

Homsar3

Smash Apprentice

True, however, his longer neck could relate to gameplay, and was made longer for said reason... keep in mind, that according to the Ninka leak, which is linked to this leak for a number of previously stated reasons, states that the duck fights on the dogs back, so this could have been made to account for the length of the dog, and the duck needing to be longer to compensate so it could actually attack, or, it could somehow be made to compensate for height... which I don't really see as a problem... there's no real way to tell until it's proven true or false.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
So next up in the never-ending gauntlet of debunk attempts we have:

The proportions of a cartoon duck's neck might be unrealistic.

Hoo boy. Sometimes you just have to shake your head and realize it's time to go to bed.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
The entire Brawl roster was leaked, but it was a much clearer image than this.
The Brawl roster was stitched together from four different leakers, each with a chunk of credible info, some better than others. Here is a post from January 2008:

"Here is our roster if ChaosZero, ShadowXOR, Serebii, and NyaseNya are to be believed:

1. Mario
2. Luigi (I doubt he would get cut)
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Donkey Kong
6. Diddy Kong
7. Link
8. Zelda/Sheik (I doubt Sheik was cut)
9. Ganondorf
10. Toon Link
11. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
12. Yoshi
13. Kirby
14. Meta Knight
15. King Dedede
16. Fox
17. Falco
18. Wolf
19. Pikachu
20. Jigglypuff
21. Pokemon Trainer
22. Lucario
23. Ike
24. Marth
25. Lucas
26. Ness
27. Captain Falcon
28. Ice Climbers
29. Mr. Game & Watch
30. Pit
31. R.O.B.
32. Wario
33. Pikmin & Olimar
34. Snake
35. Sonic

This is our roster."

It looks like we have reached the same point six and a half years later. Pretty happy honestly. My new rotation is going to be retro as hell with Duck Hunt, ROB, Mega Man, and Pit; Wii Fit Trainer will break up the retro monotony. Plus, 44 > 39, even without DLC.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Let's move on from ducks to wolves, shall we.
I'm sorry if this was brought up before in this thread, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k3XT2mBvxE
this jc guy(is he credible?) Might have been trying to say something about wolf.
They were talking about fox's custom moves when brought him up, so was he either:
trying to say a wolf move would be one fox's custom?
talk about wolf's custom moves?
I don't think if a character like a wolf or snake being confirmed would discredit the leak, considering it's implied that the roster isn't finished( but not confirmed)

I also heard that JC said "something about things hiding in plain sight that haven't been revealed yet"( I read this in a youtube comment, so if someone could confirm if he said that it would be nice.)

Hidden in plain sight.........Dark Pit?

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
We have about as much time left to the Japan release of Smash Bros 3DS as we did in mid January 2008 before the Japan Brawl release, which is when that roster leaked. Historically speaking, now is the time that we SHOULD be seeing this stuff land. Convinced more every few minutes.

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
Let's move on from ducks to wolves, shall we.
I'm sorry if this was brought up before in this thread, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k3XT2mBvxE
this jc guy(is he credible?) Might have been trying to say something about wolf.
They were talking about fox's custom moves when brought him up, so was he either:
trying to say a wolf move would be one fox's custom?
talk about wolf's custom moves?
I don't think if a character like a wolf or snake being confirmed would discredit the leak, considering it's implied that the roster isn't finished( but not confirmed)

I also heard that JC said "something about things hiding in plain sight that haven't been revealed yet"( I read this in a youtube comment, so if someone could confirm if he said that it would be nice.)

Hidden in plain sight.........Dark Pit?
JC is a Nintendo employee so he is very credible

Homsar3

Smash Apprentice
Something I would like to throw out there, which may or may not effect the leak. If you look at the CSP of Meta-Knight's right shoulder you can see it's in one piece, now, if you look at the first pic on the cycle of Meta-Knight, his right shoulder is slightly damaged... is visual damage here? More importantly, can we use this in the gameplay pics to prove, or disprove the leak?

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
In favor of leak being fake, this Doc Mario can be found on Google Images (might be old news, apologies if it is):

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
At this point, I have to say that I'm reasonably convinced the leak is true just by there not having been any damning evidence against it after this long (against the CSS/SSS, at any rate; how the rest of the stuff relates is a mess that I've long since stopped trying to sort through and I'm pretty sure is severable from the meat of the leak anyway).

It's funny, because the one point that most seem to claim most vehemently being for it, that being the Tomodachi Life stage icon, doesn't really carry any weight in my opinion. I'm more impressed by how believably the content we knew about already is being represented on the CSS. The fact that the CSS renders for Peach, Rosalina, and a number of others were present for a split-second in that 3DS modes trailer would have been super-easy to overlook (indeed, I'd plumb forgotten it and Rosalina's render seemed strange because of it, but matches up perfectly in hindsight); Fox's slot color changing being corroborated elsewhere (although oddly enough that's not depicted accurately in the second post), etc. I don't know that most have an issue with this specifically at this point, but of course the names would've likely been removed if the full 49+ characters were going to show up on one screen; at a resolution of 400 pixels, that leaves a mere 45 pixels per name (that's 4 pixels per character in "Meta Knight"), which would take up valuable screen space whilst being completely unreadable. The interspersing of old and new stages does seem odd, but the selection itself seems pretty sensible (though I'll admit that might be partially personal bias speaking, as WarioWare and PictoChat were my favorite non-neutral Brawl stages). And I know this concerns the Ninka-Vaanrose leak more so than this (they seem pretty intertwined anyway), but I can't come up with any way anyone should have known about the new alternate colors for Mario and Bowser prior to E3, so I'm convinced there are legitimate sources related to this somehow.

Really, with the amount of time this leak has stood at least viable with pictorial evidence (which is inherently very disprovable), it sickens me to hear this repeatedly compared to the Gematsu leak. Not just because I never bought it 100% (admittedly, with Shulk's apparent inclusion, I'm more willing now to concede that there might've been some legitimate information from early in development behind it), but because that list of characters, no matter how many were correct, could not have possibly been disproved until launch without explicitly deconfirming one of them. As Das Koopa said a bit ago, it operated on a different timescale entirely, namely the speed at which characters were being confirmed. I'll extend that and say that text leaks are ALWAYS going to operate at a ton slower of a timescale, as there's only as much detail in a text leak as is explicit in the text, whereas a pictorial leak of anything mildly interesting has a number of things that could reasonably disconfirm it even if they weren't the main focus of the picture.

But that's all just my two cents; I'm still not remotely close to 100% sure about the leak, but I'm eager to see how its likelihood'll change based on what we see from future P's-otD and so forth.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
I did see the Sunshine v. Smash 4 one. Had glossed the Doc Mario one, but yeah definitely some major differences between two images when you place them side by side. I like the Sunshine v. Smash 4 image as disproof of DocMario image. Still have yet to see anything remotely compelling toward this being fake.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Also, germane to a recent topic, I don't see the problem with the Duck Hunt duck's neck at all (if it even is its neck, I could totally see it being its right eye). The duck's neck doesn't end at the white ring anyway (in the classic design, the trophy design, or in real life), and just because it turns its head to the right doesn't somehow mean the ring around its neck pivots all the way over to the other side of its head, cartoon duck or not.

But to those who counter with "oh, they're clearly changing up the design anyway; its head isn't even the same color", please watch video footage of Duck Hunt or something. The original game had three color palettes for the ducks that were otherwise interchangeable, the purple-headed blue-backed version being one of them. Does the color of the duck have anything to do with its anatomy anyway? Sheesh.

Last edited:

CapnMuffin

Smash Apprentice
I'm laughing at the duck neck analysis. This is what the debate has come to? (Sigh)

And people who knock the SSS for being ugly or unlike past games... One word for you: 3DS.

1) It has TWO SCREENS. What the leak shows is only HALF THE MENU. The bottom screen is shown in a Dream scan and is a pretty and well designed menu like the rest of the UI. The top screen is just a simple intuitive user friendly interface to choose a stage on a small screen.

2) Small screen. It has to be easy to choose from all these options. Leave the eye candy for the other screen.

3)3D. I'm sure those stage boxes pop out at you and look cool in person.

micstar615

Smash Ace
Guys just wanted confirmation, was it the motherf**king leaker who posted the picture with all the characters, with "x's" over the cut veterans and a question mark over Mewtwo, or was that someone else?

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
I'm laughing at the duck neck analysis. This is what the debate has come to? (Sigh)

And people who knock the SSS for being ugly or unlike past games... One word for you: 3DS.

1) It has TWO SCREENS. What the leak shows is only HALF THE MENU. The bottom screen is shown in a Dream scan and is a pretty and well designed menu like the rest of the UI. The top screen is just a simple intuitive user friendly interface to choose a stage on a small screen.

2) Small screen. It has to be easy to choose from all these options. Leave the eye candy for the other screen.

3)3D. I'm sure those stage boxes pop out at you and look cool in person.
Holy crap, why has no one brought this up before. This should've been obvious lol!

lavadeira

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0917-9729
It seems I have opposite opinion from most people here, I think the leak is fake but I want it to be true. DHD is pretty amazing and well, Shulk. I'm even satisfied with the stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom