• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't matter. When you draw guides like an oval or a circle with a jaw, they should never ever be your final lines. Guides should be meticulously placed, sure - but only as measurements. When drawing an oval, all you're doing is framing a subject, in this case, a head. It allows you to break the measurements, establish the top and bottom as width of the head, and then allows you to work your way from there with more complex measurements, ex) the eyes being at the midway point, nose being midway between eyes and chin, and mouth being the midpoint of nose and chin, and so on.
Assuming that your starting shapes will be accurate is wrong. Starting your guides assuming they'll be accurate also limits your ability to fix problems if they arise. Flexibility is what separates good artists from bad ones.

When you see portraits of people that have horribly lopsided or skewed features, it's a product of bad process, rather than the difference between starting out with an oval or a circle.
Well-written and quite helpful, I find. Many thanks.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I decided to buy "The Animator's Survival Kit", and "The ILLUSION OF LIFE: DISNEY ANIMATION" which were recommended in order to help with animation

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Looks slightly long than normal, but I'm inexperienced in art, so I'll just say you did pretty good, lol.

As for me, Passed Art 1 after failing twice. 3D Foundations for me today, but I'm almost willing to make a replica of this image as I already started:

Just a line sketch, really.

Edit--

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys about this, but I gave most of the artwork I made to children having a field trip on this campus. I told them all to promise me that they'll make the same artwork I did for practice and instantly said okay. Ended up signing them all and the teacher said that it'll cost a lot of money in the future.

I felt pretty good, lol.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I have 2 images for you atm
Will upload when I have Internet for my comp

Direct relation to your pic

Generic lady anatomy

Lemme know if this for some reason bothers someone. I'll remove right away.
no real nudity; just forms and basic muscles/bone structures n whatnot

(Bren and Aly can do a lot better....but I just did quick anatomy . w.;;; jkfajkfjasd ahhh)

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Also work on line work
Lines are meant to convey form, not be the main part of anatomy drawings

Especially with people. Long, organic lines are better than short scratchy lines

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
Okay. By the way, what specifically was wrong with what I put up? I've looked at what you posted, which was helpful, I'm just curious about what it was that was off. I've worked on the arms a little post-my upload, but it's meant to just be a quick practice sketch as opposed to a legitimate piece.

Geist

Smash Master
I haven't been on in forever wow. Good day chaps.

Hmm
Hey 1up I can give you an important and very personalized write-up on exactly what you need to do to improve. There's a high chance it'll sound negative and potentially be slightly offensive, but it's a talk that I think every up-and-coming artist has to hear, or has heard already (myself included). It'd be with best intentions of course, I only want to see people become better at what they love doing.
I can post it publicly, or PM you, or not say anything. It's up to you.
Red pill/ Blue pill

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I haven't done much this quarter.

A class using photoshop which is mostly techniques I already know (Though I did learn some new things), and not doing anything particularly interesting
Digital Photography, which while interesting I don't think anyone wants to see pictures of flowers and junk
An intermediate composition class which only has 1 project due on the final day. We aren't even learning any new techniques, just finish 1 project by the end of the quarter using techniques learned in the last class. It's a title animation for some tech review show another class made

Geist

Smash Master
So I've sent you a rather large PM 1up. It should be in your inbox.

Hi psychoincarnate :D
Sounds like you have a lot of free time to draw and stuff. I used to draw the people in my photoshop101 class in secret. Heh heh

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
I'd be, "Summer yay, I now have all the free time in three weeks in the world to draw!"

But then I catch myself multi-tasking a Kongregate zombie social game, an iOS MLP:FiM social game, an Android Final Fantasy social game, League of Legends, and a personal debate whether to drop all these and finally finish Skyward Sword, which I've been meaning to so I could return it back to my cousin.

But onwards to more fan art, I've taken a start in drawing from The World Ends With You, drawing Joshua. I like the style the graphics and arts the game uses, though keeping true to the original style has been a challenge on my end. I also tend to draw head/hair quite larger than the body proportion.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Your link seems to be broken there geo

I wish I still had summers off like when I was a kid lol
Remember those days?

Well, we get 3 weeks after finals.
3 whole weeks =__=

When do you graduate Bren?

Also you should totally tell me your schedule for next quarter :3 wheeee AI nonsense

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Wellll I'm jealous!

Congrats, dood : 3
We shall celebrate someday and I'll buy you an adult beverage or something

someday eventually

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Does anyone here know anything of a Parallax Art Fair by any chance?​
I've been invited to exhibit some artwork there from my final year University work (I graduate in July), but I'm not really sure/knowledgeable about the whole thing.​

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I lost my USB drive at school and it contained all the work I've done for classes up until this point.

Someone could very well steal my work now.

Not that anything was preventing them from taking it off the school computer before. But they physically have it all now

Geist

Smash Master
Does anyone here know anything of a Parallax Art Fair by any chance?
I've been invited to exhibit some artwork there from my final year University work (I graduate in July), but I'm not really sure/knowledgeable about the whole thing.
No idea. That's pretty cool though
I lost my USB drive at school and it contained all the work I've done for classes up until this point.

Someone could very well steal my work now.

Not that anything was preventing them from taking it off the school computer before. But they physically have it all now
Odds are they're just going to wipe it and keep the usb for themselves. I've lost about a dozen USBs at school and the only problem the school's ever had with work theft was from someone taking them off the actual public drives on the computers themselves.
Probably because it's easier to get caught if you're repeatedly using a single person's old work.

That sucks though, hopefully you have backups?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh yeah, I had backups for everything

I have an awesome USB to replace it, though not as cool as the T-Drive as I called it (Homage of the new Ninja Turtle series) It's a cupcake with a smiley face.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to take my work to class to work on it. I get more work done in class because I get too distracted at home. Only bad thing that happened as a result. Though I was still able to get a lot of work done at home.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Bren, at aip, the vfx program has been known to steal GAD models without credit or warning

Apparently the vfx teachers encourage this?

We are pissed and don't have active proof atm to report it (since we aren't in the vfx classes :c)

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Official animations never ceased to amaze me. Garen's and Baron Nashor's looks kind of threw me off in which I wasn't able to recognize them at first glance.

Demonblade Tryndamere as well for actually usinga skin. Tibbers didn't get enough screen time.

Geist

Smash Master
The moment it starts with twisty doing his card tricks, I was like-
Yup.
Blur had a hand in this.

I can totally tell which assets were done by blur and which were handled by riot.
Blur is so damn good. The hand done animations were killer. Didn't know Riot had a cinematics team either, and now I want in on that.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
It was majestic omggggg

Are we all just gonna try for riot now?
AE hostile takeover yes?
Yes?
Please?

Also idk Bren
We don't have enough solid proof
It's just hush hush among the GAD upperclassmen
It's not too common, but we are investigating on our own.

Vfx needs to get outta our labs and stop stealing models if they are

Btw gad does not have our own official labs or areas like other majors do
Our dept chair hates usssss. 'So do you wanna switch to media arts? You've been in media arts right? I think you should switch'

No, dude. GAD. Bad.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
So finals suck

expect some traditional work
and no 3D
because im doing horribly this quarter and would rather not ROFL

gah what even is life

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Next quarter I'm working on video and video editing I think.

I don't have much classes. Most of the classes in the summer are advanced and I haven't taken the prerequisite, Classes I've already taken (I had to drop out some time ago and I'm returning to school to finish it this time), or classes that are unrelated to my degree

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787

Some character design I made before I started the 2nd part of Figure Drawing. After that, I've now realized that drawing the female body is more difficult and drawing the male body. I feel upset, but on a second thought, I'm glad no one in class got excited when we starting making drawings of her poses every 1 minute, more or less. Speaking of minutes, we had to do gestures and such for that, 30 seconds, and 15 seconds. I got upset with the results, but this was my first time trying to draw it right. I tried the construction shapes, the I method, the arrow lines, and the bean shape, but I'm still didn't do it right. Dealing with the breasts wasn't even close.

Bah, I got other assignments to finish. My instructor also told me that I shouldn't go over the top with detail on buildings perspective, but I just want the extra credit to avoid getting my Stafford loans canceled by the time 2nd semester starts, since I failed classes about 4 times. I still need a job, and I just goddamn wish someone would just hire me out of nowhere and teach me what I'm supposed to do on each task. in fact, this is what business owners and managers should basically do, but that's just the dumb two cents.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
yeah, quick gestures are all but uncommon. theyre a really important part of the real learning-to-draw-people phases. dont worry about details
at all
on the quick ones at least

form over details

Geist

Smash Master
yeah quick gestures exist for one reason only
to break you

Your goal shouldn't be to finish a drawing, it should be to put as much information down as quickly as possible using as few lines as possible.
Doing five-hundred 30 second poses will make you much better than doing thirty 500 second poses
Truth

Top Bottom