• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Geist

Smash Master
for me, it's less about hand-eye coordination and more about resolution.
Smaller tablets have smaller surface (who would have thought) and to get the same brush resolution you'd need to work with more magnification than usual. For the most part, unless I'm detailing or rendering, I like to have a nice broad view of what I'm drawing.

But yeah I had a small tablet for a while, it's obviously not a bad thing.

Someday I'll get an extra large cintique.... :c

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer

CHARACTER MODELING
I have no idea what I am doing.

o ^ o
YEYUH LETS GO

also janky feet will fix later

and shes wearing a mask

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone know anything about the program "Mudbox"?

I heard it's like ZBrush.

I'm able to get a free version of any Autodesk program for the next 3 years, that's why I brought that up

Geist

Smash Master
Mudbox is essential now for painting 3d models. Unlike zbrush's polypaint tool, it supports full uncompressed 64 bit textures as well as better layer options and it supports maya 100%.
It lacks the sculpting tools and the raw power of zbrush though.

Speaking of zbrush
I think they're teaching it to you guys WAY too early. Like severely.
I haven't even seen one 3ds/maya character base mesh from you yet >_>

Edit: what you have so far looks decent though, but your hands look like they went through an unfortunate steamroller incident.

:phone:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Nah, I know more about Zbrush than a LOT of my classmates (I took the Zbrush elective WAY TOO EARLY thanks to DYLAN. o ^ o)

And most other people do base mesh stuff u x u I choose to work in Zbrush more because Max gives me literal anxiety attacks u __ u; I like dem ZSpheres
Taking the diffuse from Zbrush and just retopoing the character from Zbrush to Max

Gonna fix the pose beforehand though in order to get a better retopo

Also...JUST got my copy of ZBrush from Pixelogic <33333 Gah they are amazing ; x ;

(the hands arent flat i swear!)

Geist

Smash Master
I'm saying you should have at least a year or two of experience sculpting base mesh before you even consider installing zbrush.
It's like learning how to drive in an f1 racecar.

Also a warning: a friend of mind who works in hr is trained to specifically watch out for reels with characters done in zbrush and ignore them.

It doesn't matter if max makes you break out in hives every time you open it, you have to know how to use it. For the same reason you have to know how to draw lines before you start shading in every pore in the face.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
u x u joyyy
i wish theyd warn us more

Whatever. Free copy of Zbrush. Gon learn it.

Luckily, I'm learning Zbrush only to supplement concept work :'D kekekekeke <3

yeahhh u x u blehhhh

Geist

Smash Master
Zbrush concepting is actually an under respected thing imo.

Also zbrush -> retopo is a good workflow, don't get me wrong. It's just advanced.
The trick is to showcase your skill, not showcase the power of zbrush.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I watched a computer animated short today in animation class called "Fallen art", then we watched the making of.

I have seen this done before, but I didn't know how often...

I was inspired by the way they took the artists drawing and put them on planes and began molding it to match the picture on the frames. I'm going to try and draw a character of mine in a way that I can do that.

I decided to make a picture of the bunny guy character to test the model making with. Here is him from the side (Without his hat). Tried to clean it up with live trace for presentation.

I decided to give him "moobs" because it makes him look creepier and out of shape

Edit Edit: Decided to drop the "Moobs", it just looks wrong...in the wrong kind of way

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lalalala working on some stuff

big production in the works and i'm working on a clean drawing to kinda advertise. just starting

should i join the skype chat again so i dont get bored by myself and can actually talk about drawing and not get distracted..? hahahha idk.... somebody talk to me on facebook

or i just need to focus harder

edit: LOL oh yeah that big empty space is cuz i removed the background for the screencap

Geist

Smash Master
Edit Edit: Decided to drop the "Moobs", it just looks wrong...in the wrong kind of way
It could possibly because they're anatomically incorrect on your drawing
the pectorals lead into the front of the armpits in a teardrop shape, just underneath the deltoid. Yours looked like they were going underneath the arms, and attaching to the back.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just got my tablet, and my computer doesn't recognize it's plugged into it.

It's suppose to install it when it's plugged in, but my computer says nothing is plugged in. I tried sticking it into different USB slots and nothing happens.

It's suppose to light up when plugged in, and nothing on the tablet is lighting up.

$359 wasted...luckily I can get a refund. But I'll try and figure it out first

It could possibly because they're anatomically incorrect on your drawing
the pectorals lead into the front of the armpits in a teardrop shape, just underneath the deltoid. Yours looked like they were going underneath the arms, and attaching to the back.
No, that's actually the rib cage

Geist

Smash Master
I just got my tablet, and my computer doesn't recognize it's plugged into it.

It's suppose to install it when it's plugged in, but my computer says nothing is plugged in. I tried sticking it into different USB slots and nothing happens.

It's suppose to light up when plugged in, and nothing on the tablet is lighting up.

$359 wasted...luckily I can get a refund. But I'll try and figure it out first
you can install the driver from wacom's website. See if that helps.
Otherwise, wacom has a return policy and they're replace your stuff for free if you call them and mail it in.

No, that's actually the rib cage
oh lol
you probably want a line coming from the bottom of the ribcage into the waist then, instead of a line tucked in the bottom. it makes it look like a fold or a crease

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's suppose to be leaning it forward. I wanted the back to be hunched a little

Edit: I figured out what was wrong with my tablet...

I didn't jam the cord into it hard enough. You got to REALLY jam it in apparently

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Does anyone have any advice or recommended resources for drawing flowers? oh god they're so strangely shaped

Geist

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hq0-i8GQbgw#!
Here's another animation from disney that's being nominated for the oscar short film awards (besides paperman, which should still win)

It's really good though.

UUh a warning though I guess, some naked cartoons and stuff.
But we're adults
Don't ban me

Does anyone have any advice or recommended resources for drawing flowers? oh god they're so strangely shaped
Just find image references, and study them. There's way too many different types of flowers to just be like 'use X technique for flowers'
google is your frieeend

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm attempting to learn how to draw backgrounds.

I can't make them worth anything...

I'm working on an animation, and the background is the hardest part for me

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
For backgrounds...
The GOD OF BACKGROUNDS is Feng Zhu. He makes nice tutorials on perspective n stuff
He 2 coool

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Is it possible to increase the size of an image by say....1000x1000 while retaining a good amount of quality?

Also, what is resolution?

Geist

Smash Master
Unless your image is a vector, up-sizing takes a lot of manual work.

Resolution can be just the pixel measurements of an image, or it could be referring to pixel density. Either way it's usually just measure in the amount of pixels per inch.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We are finally getting into more advanced box modelling in class. I was waiting for this...sort of.

I kind of skipped ahead of everyone.

I'm watched a tutorial (and followed along) on how to make a basic human using the technique where you put a picture of the person on planes and mold the shape out of the boxes.

However, while watching various videos, such as speed modeling, I saw them doing some crazy stuff in blender that I am interested in. I don't know how to explain it...maybe they were extracting shapes from lines? Whatever it was, it looked pretty crazy

Geist

Smash Master
We are finally getting into more advanced box modelling in class. I was waiting for this...sort of.

I kind of skipped ahead of everyone.

I'm watched a tutorial (and followed along) on how to make a basic human using the technique where you put a picture of the person on planes and mold the shape out of the boxes.

However, while watching various videos, such as speed modeling, I saw them doing some crazy stuff in blender that I am interested in. I don't know how to explain it...maybe they were extracting shapes from lines? Whatever it was, it looked pretty crazy
box modeling and blender are gross

In all seriousness though
It sounds like the guy using blender was using polycutting to sculpt, which isn't bad. Box modeling is a tad outdated and there's better modeling tools/ software that give better results with less vertex wrestling.

Ribbon modeling is the standard I use, starting with planes and extrusions you define the important loops, ensuing correct polyflow and efficient geo placement. You make a 'cage' of the head, and then fill in the holes, and add extra geo where necessary. You can pull off a head in less than an hour using this technique, with practice.
character modeling in general takes a butt-load of practice, really.
Good luck with the class :D

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm making a secret project in After Effects, once I learned about some of the things you could do in it...

Also, as part of it, I made a simple 8 frame animation, and was excited it worked the first time through. Without need for much edits. Excited in part because I was able to make the entire thing without tracing. I drew it out frame by frame next to eachother

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5HMWPXjMB8

I think I'm getting better

Top Bottom