• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I am in a similar rut, Morino. You're just going to have to find that want to do it within you.

I found myself drawing more last semester while I was required to do so, but didn't do much beyond what was required. Still, I was drawing. Compare that to now, I am not doing much of anything and can't get myself motivated.

It's sad since I want to make this my career. You just have to ask yourself how much you want it in comparison to anything else. And then find the will to apply yourself to it.

I should be taking this advice.

neous

Smash Journeyman
it's easier to draw when you have fun. Draw what you find interesting. Draw boobs yo.

When you have fun and become 'addicted', like how we are when we play melee, you wont make up johns* about not drawing, as you'd rather draw/play than not draw/play.

*won't john as much.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Like the save buttons in most auto desk programs?
Save and suddenly boooom
It's like...woah! Thanks auto desk for a file destruction button
But please don't disguise it as save or any other seemingly useful buttons

:phone:
This. So much this.
I lost 3 or 4 months worth of 3DS Max work in College a couple of years back due to it thinking saving meant crash and delete ALL the things.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I deeply regret never pursuing my passion for art. Well, I did, but I never applied myself and draw continously. Practice makes perfect, right?

Are there any tips on getting yourself on the habit to at least sketch every day? I find it hard to get myself to actually draw because I'm lazy. And when I do draw, I get frustrated at times because I know I can do better. I have somewhat a bit of natural talent so that is where it stems from. However, natural talent is useless unless you practice every single day. Now that I think of it, I quite frankly don't know what I'm trying to say here :laugh:

Hi, I'm Morino.
Just draw whatever you find enjoyable, and don't try to force yourself to draw stuff because you think you have to. At the very core you should be drawing because you want to, not because you think you should. Just ask yourself, "if I could draw anything in the world right now, what would it be?" and go from there.

Chances are, you'll develop a go-to subject to draw. When I was in middle and high school it was sports cars, and then when I got to college it was girls. People will probably think you're a little shallow at times but at least you're enjoying it, oh and look at that after some time you've also happened to get better! I learned about shading and general draftsmanship while drawing cars because they weren't turning out quite right and I wanted them to look cooler. I studied a bit of anatomy and color when drawing girls because I wanted them to look more attractive. If you have something to immediately apply them to, learning the technical and theoretical things in art is much easier than it sounds

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Fan art if you must; whatever keeps the drawing utensil moving.

=

Shading does make drawings cooler, but I find it difficult transitioning from pencil shading to digital shading ... without the use of a drawing tablet -_- Saving up as well.

Geist

Smash Master
I deeply regret never pursuing my passion for art. Well, I did, but I never applied myself and draw continously. Practice makes perfect, right?

Are there any tips on getting yourself on the habit to at least sketch every day? I find it hard to get myself to actually draw because I'm lazy. And when I do draw, I get frustrated at times because I know I can do better. I have somewhat a bit of natural talent so that is where it stems from. However, natural talent is useless unless you practice every single day. Now that I think of it, I quite frankly don't know what I'm trying to say here :laugh:

Hi, I'm Morino.
Sup Morino, welcome to the AE

The only way to get yourself into the habit is to intentionally do it habitually. It's hard at first, but like the other guys said, it's easier once you're drawing things you enjoy drawing. If you only draw when it's a necessity, even if it means you're drawing a lot, it still makes it harder for you to do it in your spare time, at least imo.
Personally if I don't doodle something out at least once a day I feel antsy and it ends up feeling like a waste of a day. They don't even have to be good doodles, just as long as it's habit, right?
Post some of your stuff, I'd be interested to see it.

Just draw whatever you find enjoyable, and don't try to force yourself to draw stuff because you think you have to. At the very core you should be drawing because you want to, not because you think you should. Just ask yourself, "if I could draw anything in the world right now, what would it be?" and go from there.

Chances are, you'll develop a go-to subject to draw. When I was in middle and high school it was sports cars, and then when I got to college it was girls. People will probably think you're a little shallow at times but at least you're enjoying it, oh and look at that after some time you've also happened to get better! I learned about shading and general draftsmanship while drawing cars because they weren't turning out quite right and I wanted them to look cooler. I studied a bit of anatomy and color when drawing girls because I wanted them to look more attractive. If you have something to immediately apply them to, learning the technical and theoretical things in art is much easier than it sounds
Dude I drew cars in high school too lmao
at the time I was thinking into going into mechanical engineering and drafting though

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Dude I drew cars in high school too lmao
at the time I was thinking into going into mechanical engineering and drafting though
Me too! I wanted to be an automotive designer and even looked into attending Art Center in Pasadena for it

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Thats such a competitive job field o __ o

(not that either of you couldnt do it rofl
both of you have srs skills)

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Reading through this thread, I suppose I'll start off small and build up. I'll do some gesture drawings and sketches, probably fill up a page with some bull. Do that once a day, and when I feel comfortable with that, increase it so more, or increase the level od detail to which I draw on one page. :T

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Reading through this thread, I suppose I'll start off small and build up. I'll do some gesture drawings and sketches, probably fill up a page with some bull. Do that once a day, and when I feel comfortable with that, increase it so more, or increase the level od detail to which I draw on one page. :T
You could also draw still life arrangements, go to a park and draw the landscape, go to a busy cafe and draw gestures of people, or go around with a camera and photograph interesting places or lighting conditions that you can study and sketch from later. Just filling up a page with bull sounds awfully boring :bee:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It is awfully boring. But I gotta get into the groove of things.

I will do some of that, as well, though. I don't want to do anything time consuming just yet, so, intuitive gestures is about where I'll stand for now.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
It is awfully boring. But I gotta get into the groove of things.

I will do some of that, as well, though. I don't want to do anything time consuming just yet, so, intuitive gestures is about where I'll stand for now.
Pssh then don't do it, just skip to the good stuff

I'm telling you, the more you make it seem like a chore, the harder it is to get motivated. I have the same problem a lot of the time, I know this all too well

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
But I want to invest in this. I need to do something. And I can't motivate myself most of the time to do something. :/

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Then invest in your emotional attachment first, time and effort second. I can tell you're trying to approach this the academic way (studies first, then build up) but if your passion isn't there it's not going to last anyway

Make a list, 1-3. Name the top three things you feel like drawing, right now, regardless of if you think you can successfully complete them or not

Then just do it. Grab a big cup of water, put on your headphones, and just draw whatever you want

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
My mind will race with ideas but I never sit down and draw unless I'm in school or my house's power is out. I'm so consumed with everything else around me.

I'll think about posting some things I've done recently.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The top thing I want to draw is my characters for my story and the landscapes that go along with the universe I created. I want to make a comic book to tell a story (could be of said characters, or a separate other concept).

But that isn't practice. I can indulge in what I want but I end up being dissatisfied with the end result because it results in something I expect more than I got.

For example, I haven't done anything since I drew Superman because the more I look at it, the more I hate it. I hate how I do it, even though that's what I want to do.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
The top thing I want to draw is my characters for my story and the landscapes that go along with the universe I created. I want to make a comic book to tell a story (could be of said characters, or a separate other concept).

But that isn't practice.
Actually it can be. There are a lot of ways to study and there's no reason you can't combine it with more fun subject matter. If you're drawing a comic then you could potentially be practicing foreshortened bodies, composition, perspective, color fields and a lot of other things all at once--as long as you seek reference when you need to and fix your mistakes. I don't think studies have to be technical drawings floating in space, if you don't want.

Everything is practice.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Everything is practice.
This is precisely it. In art there's a ton of overlap and spillover in terms of skillset, so when you get better at one thing you'll most likely improve at others as well. Learning, and creating finished works don't have to separate things

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Sculptris is (was?) freeware. I'm not so sure about it now because the same makers of Zbrush recently bought them. I'm sure there's freeware versions still around. Sculptris is also an easier to use alternative to Zbrush, but again, it's less powerful and there's less than you can do with it.
You are awesome XD.
I've been looking for a sort of free equivalent of Zbrush for ages now, because I wanted to give it a go considering I like 3D modelling but dislike the likes of 3DS Max and Blender, and it turns out it was on Zbrush's site more or less DX.
Thanks for mentioning that Geist ;).

Anywho, here's a quick model I've just made lol. It's not finished yet (obviously), and I'm going for a more cartoony look. I've been figuring stuff out myself but getting the ears the right shape and protruding is proving mighty tricky. I did have to look up how to get the grab tool to manipulate the object rather than move it, but everything else is just a result of me screwing around, ergo it'll probably explode if I export it to the likes of 3DS Max :bee:.

Geist

Smash Master
No problem man
definitely start delving into masks and alphas, they're probably the most useful tools you can utilize in those high poly sculpting programs.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
What is your summoner name? Let's playy

In sort of related news, I've talked to Mattcom, the guy who originally came up with Astronautilus and Pool Party Ziggs, and we're planning on doing some collabs together yey

BTW HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHOK

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
I drool for cereal~

=

Quite a few of us are saving up for a tablet as well.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
found this gif on reddit and it's really awesome

i didnt know the nose flesh goes out that far from the skull

no wonder

haha look at dat tongue movement for forming speech

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The nose goes that far because it's filled with cartilage, and not normal bone

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I haven't watched that before, lol at the pogostick. I think it's interesting to see how some of the movements in it are much more fluid and long than how they would be if they were animated at a later time.

Top Bottom