• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

neous

Smash Journeyman
DSLRs are quite suitable for that. The cheapest runs at about roughly 500~600 gold doubloons. I have a Nikon D3000 and has been quite satisfactory in quality. The single downfall that has me not use it as often as I would like is the fact it does not have Video recording (I think I love video editing more than taking pictures). With that said, the next iteration, the D3100, includes video recording.

I can't speak on video quality, but I can confirm it will be better than most video dedicated cameras on the market (HD is a buzzword in the camera world because you can have a great resolution, but a crappy photo regardless; Look at phone cameras today on smart phones and you'll know what I mean).

For what you're looking for, you might have to buy a specialized lens that doesn't come in the box; that'll run you up a couple hundred extra.

I recommend DSLRs because they are, without a doubt the best cameras to choose. You'll have a little scuffle over namebrands Nikon and Canon, and I can't tell you why one is better than the other, but you would not regret the choice. The are expensive, but not without good reason. You'd be using yours for a life time. Those other posers just can't stack up to that kind of quality.

Also, check Adorama.com. If you find a camera that you like and they supply one that's refurbished, you can chop off nearly an extra 300 off the price tag.
thanks for the advice.

also, welcome birthnote

+ GJ CHOK.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
So I guess this is as good as any place to put this: boofcomics.tumblr.com
I started a new blog for my dumb comics based around a circle-man I created when I was 13! I hope you check it out and enjoy!

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
So I guess this is as good as any place to put this: boofcomics.tumblr.com
I started a new blog for my dumb comics based around a circle-man I created when I was 13! I hope you check it out and enjoy!
Just had a look through those. They're pretty fun, I like simple styled things like that. Good work :bee:.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
75% saved for wacom cintiq 22HD!
I...need.......

And I added this thread back to my subscriptions, so I'll be creepin here guys

By the way check out these super helpful videos about drawing heads. It's all info we already know (rule of thirds, etc) but seeing it with overlays on a moving head helps a ton. At least it helps me a ton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPNYWeEf1U

then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZLkyTuX_w
&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS6R2l8t8wo

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Lol those were pretty good. I like how in the first one he actually carves into a ball to make a point about the shape of the head.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I found those useful because I've never actually taken a drawing class that covers drawing human anatomy

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Since I'm creepin here I might as well post what I'm working on at the moment

I started a series a few months ago where I draw one character per letter of the alphabet, most of them nostalgic or from my childhood. Since I'm pretty lazy I've only gotten to C thus far

I'm into sort of fashion-y stuff so I figured, why not explore and take the series in a new direction from where A and B were going

That's a lot of color vibration, holyy

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Yooo honda long time no see
last time I saw you it was on the 'most popular' page of cghub
Oh dang I must've missed that then, when was it? I've been neglecting my CGHub account, but I like that site 100x more than dA in terms of finding inspiration and good artists

Geist

Smash Master
I remember seeing your caitlyn painting on the front page from around late june to early august actually.
I've still yet to put anything on my account on that site but I lurk it so hardcore lol

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Hrmm I was wondering where that viewer spike to my gallery came from hah, I really need to update my gallery over there and get some street cred

Geist

Smash Master
yeah I'm waiting until I have a nice first piece I can show off, preferably 3d.
I don't want it to be some lame old sketch

I heard modeling a gun automatically gets you a million views

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
yeah I'm waiting until I have a nice first piece I can show off, preferably 3d.
I don't want it to be some lame old sketch

I heard modeling a gun automatically gets you a million views
Guns and girls, just like dA :bee:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Looool

Yeah that cait pic is really popular. A league tumblr I came across a few days ago (after having a discussion on the newest patch updates) was using your pic as a profile picture

Dat Caitlyn
And bunny riven :3

:phone:

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Hah yeah Caitlyn sure made the rounds for a while. That thing popped up in all sorts of places. Though, it also opened up a bunch of connections—for instance I became friends with Katie de Sousa (yumedust on dA) sort of indirectly because of it, and she even tried to get me an internship at Riot Games. I guess it pays to get your stuff out there and network early

Bunny girl Riven though, I've always hated that thing

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Those are pretty cool videos Honda, it's always great to have things done and explained in front of you. I wonder how applicable those methods are to extreme angles or different head shapes.

This is what I've been up to recently:
Colorful animal

Sai fanart from Naruto (I reread the whole damn thing in a week. e_e)

I'm really really bad at drawing things digitally for some reason. I keep doing it to practice but it takes so much longer than just drawing on paper and scanning, I think I may go back to doing that :/

Geist

Smash Master
Finally got around to posting things on my DA again lmao
IMAGE DUMP
click for full sized images plzkty

I'm in the process of making this dude a 3d model vvvvvv

I'm really really bad at drawing things digitally for some reason. I keep doing it to practice but it takes so much longer than just drawing on paper and scanning, I think I may go back to doing that :/
gloooaaabbbieee
Don't think like that, every medium has its own ins and outs, and digital is no different. I'm not discouraging you from traditional stuff obviously, but keep at digital stuff and experiment mooooooar. I've only been doing digital painting for the past 3 years, and trust me it took way way more screw-ups than I'd like to admit.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I'm not giving up digital media entirely haha, it's mainly the sketch/lines that I cannot do on a computer. I hope that by doing the actual drawing part more quickly I can focus on digital coloring/painting and all the special things that only digital programs can do. Starting with figuring out how to paint like the pros in Photoshop ^^;

Geist

Smash Master
I'm not giving up digital media entirely haha, it's mainly the sketch/lines that I cannot do on a computer. I hope that by doing the actual drawing part more quickly I can focus on digital coloring/painting and all the special things that only digital programs can do. Starting with figuring out how to paint like the pros in Photoshop ^^;
Ah alrighty that's different then lmao
It's funny though because I almost completely forsake drawing up line art when I do digital painting nowadays. I'm trying to speed myself up and lines take so looong. I just paint in silhouettes and shapes first and totally bypass lines altogether

man geist you're so excellent
:3
sup chok

I love this thread when people post things <3
same bro same

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I love this kind of stuff, Geist! I've always wanted to get into 3D modeling but don't know where to start, any suggestions?

Geist

Smash Master
Unfortunately it can be difficult to jump into, if I didn't have school classes on them I'd have no idea how to start. Youtube can definitely get you started on the basics, and there are tutorials you find (the better ones you can pay for) online
I assume you want to do character modeling, right? I'd strongly recommend picking up Autodesk Maya somewhere on the interwebs to learn basic 3d modeling skills. It's a simple program if you're using it for nothing but modeling, you should be able to find decent tutorials on youtube on how to get a good start.

Now, at this point it depends on where you plan to take these, if you want some nice quality 3d sculpts for display (not animating purposes), focus on learning how to make simple base meshes in Maya. It literally has to be no more complex than a few proportionate cubes, and then you can take it off to a program called zbrush.
Zbrush is the program you see all those really nice detailed 3d sculpts done in. You can take your base mesh you make in maya and go nuts with it. Pixologic's website has a whole bunch of tutorials on how to use the basic zbrush tools, and once you get a good grasp of that, you can start making some nice high resolution sculpts.
The above technique is how I do my zbrush sculpts, and imo it's the cleanest and least grief-filled way to do it.

Now there's definitely ways to skip the base mesh step altogether, but generally those ways will cause lots of problems down the road, or they're way way more complicated to use properly. In the long run I'd definitely recommend doing it the safe way.

And of course, if you're not alright with potentially downloading these programs illegally, there is freeware available that you can use. for basic modeling like Maya, Blender is a good alternative. It's not as powerful and it's definitely not as versatile in the other areas besides modeling, but it can do the job.
Sculptris is (was?) freeware. I'm not so sure about it now because the same makers of Zbrush recently bought them. I'm sure there's freeware versions still around. Sculptris is also an easier to use alternative to Zbrush, but again, it's less powerful and there's less than you can do with it.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Thanks man, that helps a ton. Yeah, I don't really want to animate anything, just create some awesome girlie sculpts like you'll often see on CGHub

I do have a copy of Maya but never knew if it was a good place to start or not. Now let's see if I can also remember the user/pass that my concept art teacher gave us to Lynda.com, I'd bet I could find some stuff on there to get me started

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Unfortunately for me, all the tutorials I tried to find for blender were outdated. They changed the UI since than and I can't figure out how to do much.

I wish I was still in an art program, I could take the classes.

I'm currently in programming instead

Geist

Smash Master
Thanks man, that helps a ton. Yeah, I don't really want to animate anything, just create some awesome girlie sculpts like you'll often see on CGHub

I do have a copy of Maya but never knew if it was a good place to start or not. Now let's see if I can also remember the user/pass that my concept art teacher gave us to Lynda.com, I'd bet I could find some stuff on there to get me started
yeah maya is more or less the do-all program. Other stuff exists to be more specified but pretty much any domain of 3d is done in maya.

Unfortunately for me, all the tutorials I tried to find for blender were outdated. They changed the UI since than and I can't figure out how to do much.

I wish I was still in an art program, I could take the classes.

I'm currently in programming instead
Yeah. But luckily blender does this thing, when you press buttons to see what they do, the program doesn't explode. Maya has a lot of buttons that are more or less dedicated to instantly crashing.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Like the save buttons in most auto desk programs?
Save and suddenly boooom
It's like...woah! Thanks auto desk for a file destruction button
But please don't disguise it as save or any other seemingly useful buttons

:phone:

Morin0

Smash Lord
I deeply regret never pursuing my passion for art. Well, I did, but I never applied myself and draw continously. Practice makes perfect, right?

Are there any tips on getting yourself on the habit to at least sketch every day? I find it hard to get myself to actually draw because I'm lazy. And when I do draw, I get frustrated at times because I know I can do better. I have somewhat a bit of natural talent so that is where it stems from. However, natural talent is useless unless you practice every single day. Now that I think of it, I quite frankly don't know what I'm trying to say here :laugh:

Hi, I'm Morino.

Top Bottom