• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
A lot of us want to think like that, but for a game that Sakurai claimed that he less focusing on the characters, but on the gameplay, having SoloZard, Squirtle, Ives, Pika, Lucario, Greninja, Jiggs (possibly), and M2 (possibly), 8 representatives from a single franchise (granted that this franchises has by far the longest list of compatible fighters) may seem a bit egregious.

Burigu

Smash Ace
A lot of you guys are jumping the gun. Sakurai could just simply add a new move to Ivy and Squirtle. Just because they showed Charizard first it doesn't mean that the other two are gone.
This is not about move limitations people asume they are gone because there will be way to many pokemon in the game, Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Greninja, Ivysaur, Squirtle AND Jigglypuff, I don't see that happening I don't count Mewtwo but still posible

Last edited:

BadTurtle

Smash Rookie
I would think that Squirtle and Ivysaur are not going to be involved in this game unfortunately, the roster would want to be about 70 strong to include so many pokémon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo > Squirtle & Ivysaur > Jigglypuff though...

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There will not be that many representatives from Smash 4 unless Sakurai is secretly making this game the next Marvel vs. Capcom in terms of expansive cast.

The only other Pokémon I expect to see is Jigglypuff, mostly because I don't expect them to get rid of anyone from the original Smash game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hmm... going to say it anyway.

Brawl had 6 Pokemon, wether 3 of them took a single slot or not, Sakurai still developed 6 in total.
I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to simply split them and add them separately. Really, people think Sakurai follows some sort of hidden rule about "slots". The man doesn't follow any rule.

I'm actually indifferent on Squirtle and Ivysaur now because I won't be able to switch between them, rendering the whole fun factor of PT completely null. But I don't think it's a shoe-in that Ivy and Squirtle are gone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Jigglypuff hardly takes any time to develop. Even Mewtwo probably has some leftover files from Brawl, seeing as his data was the most 'complete' out of all Forbidden 7. Also, Melee had Mewtwo obviously.

Why can't we have both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff now?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Mewtwo would be a cool boss character, a la Ridley. Again, what this comes down to is that it isn't Marvel and we shouldn't expect 50+ characters or so many from a single series that didn't have so many from earlier.

As an aside, they can theoretically do the weakness/resistance thing with the current 'Mons. Charizard > Lucario > Greninja > Charizard. Wonder if that'll happen.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
It would be the same amount of Pokemon as before. Each Pokemon would just have their own slot now.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That's an awful lot of space on the character select screen, and I think that matters more than you seem to.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Mewtwo would be a cool boss character, a la Ridley. Again, what this comes down to is that it isn't Marvel and we shouldn't expect 50+ characters or so many from a single series that didn't have so many from earlier.

As an aside, they can theoretically do the weakness/resistance thing with the current 'Mons. Charizard > Lucario > Greninja > Charizard. Wonder if that'll happen.
About the weakness part that don't make any sense Pikachu will beat both Charizard and Greninja, it doesn't brings anything to the table for smash, they are talking about balancing the characters so this mechanic is beyond consideration, is like saying every pokemon beat pikachu because he is unevolved, or Mewtwo beat anything because is a legendary, so the Super effective type match up will never happen

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I don't agree with the idea of the PT fighting imagine him throwing pokeballs (to send the pokemon obviously) for every single attack and then returning them for another one to attack if someone tell me that you can simple have one pokemon out for a lot of time then basically you have a transformation character and it's clear they are not returning, they can make it happen probably actually happening very unlikely there is no sense in doing that concept if the don't show Pokemon Trainer actually sending pokemon and returning them (for someone that argue they can skip the animations for battle).
Considering Pokemon trainer is battling up to three opponents (double and triple battles) I don't see why he can't have more than one pokemon out at a time. Unless of game limitations.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Considering Pokemon trainer is battling up to three opponents (double and triple battles) I don't see why he can't have more than one pokemon out at a time. Unless of game limitations.
All that would represent more trouble than leaving the pokemon trainer the way he was before, three pokemon with all the jumps and botom mash plus the pokemon trainer "giving the orders" yeah basically the pokemon do the battle for him so it doesn't make sense just imagine three pokemon plus pokemon trainer as one character that will be a mess

Last edited:

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
All that would represent more trouble than leaving the pokemon trainer the way he was before, three pokemon with all the jumps and botom mash plus the pokemon trainer "giving the orders" yeah basically the pokemon do the battle for him so it doesn't make sense just imagine three pokemon plus pokemon trainer as one character that will be a mess
Yeah three wouldn't work (especially if the third had been charizard), unless the third was just there to use fly as a recovery move... two might work.
I could see squirtle getting in seperately and ivysaur teamed up with red. Since I don't think anyone is counting on Ivysaur getting in by himself, but its all unlikely.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
About the weakness part that don't make any sense Pikachu will beat both Charizard and Greninja, it doesn't brings anything to the table for smash, they are talking about balancing the characters so this mechanic is beyond consideration, is like saying every pokemon beat pikachu because he is unevolved, or Mewtwo beat anything because is a legendary, so the Super effective type match up will never happen
In Brawl, the Pokémon Trainer 'Mons had a 10% increase/decrease in knockback from attacks within the starter weakness triangle that applied to anyone using those elements. Squirtle took less knockback from Falcon Kick while Ivysaur took more. This only applied to Fire/Water/Grass; they all took normal damage from electric moves. (The only moves counted as Grass-element were on Ivysaur; Olimar didn't get lucky.) I'm just saying that if they wanted to do a trio without Pikachu again, it could still work that way.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
He's one relized about squirtle isn't it a little overkill for 2 water starters to be playable and ivysaur is not popular so mewtwo can top ivysaur

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Ivysaur > Charizard.

I think if they were to cut PKMN Trainer, all of them should have been cut. Its just a gigantic slap in the face to those who like the other two more.

At least I got Greninja though.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Ivysaur > Charizard.

I think if they were to cut PKMN Trainer, all of them should have been cut. Its just a gigantic slap in the face to those who like the other two more.

At least I got Greninja though.
But Charizard is super iconic. Moreso than Squirtle or Ivysaur. Even if you don't know Pokemon, you've at least seen Pikachu, Charizard, and probably Mewtwo from media. Not to mention Charizard got two megas. I think they cut their loses and are at least saving one element of the Trainer.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To be honest, I'm gonna really miss Ivysaur's anti-air style. Come down and fight like a man you short-hopping ninnies.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
but Ivysaur's worst matchups were against characters with good horizontal aerial mobility :(

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It's okay, guys. There's Project M, no need to worry too much if they did get the axe.

I can possibly see the return of Ivysaur, but sadly I think Greninja was the death of Squirtle.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Since tethers no longer seem to be a thing...

How would Ivysaur recover without one?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Upside down Solar Beam which propels him upwards ala ZSS' jet boots.:002:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Petal Dance is an Egg move--I suppose she could do a jump of sorts while twirling through the air.

Alternatively, Power Whip could be stretching it, in that a vertical swing downward could flip her upward.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
That's an awful lot of space on the character select screen, and I think that matters more than you seem to.
It matters a lot less than you think, actually.
Let's say the roster gets to 50 spots in its entirety. 8 of them are for Pokémons.
Melee had 25 spots, and 4 of them were for Pokémons.
See what I mean?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Brawl had 35 spots, and 4 of them were for Pokémon. They are introducing a lot of new titles. :(

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm not expecting Red to come back at all, but I think Squirtle and Ivysaur still have a shot.
Like a 1% chance, but I'm not counting them out yet...
I'll miss them...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
To be honest, I'm gonna really miss Ivysaur's anti-air style. Come down and fight like a man you short-hopping ninnies.
I always thought it ironic that the grass type had the anti air style considering flying types>grass types in Pokemon.

Also that the turtle was the best aerial Pokemon and the fastest, whilst the winged dragon with the highest base speed stat was cumbersome in the air and the slowest of the three.

Pokemon Trainer was kind of a mess the more you think about it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I thought that they were removing tether recoveries from this game (hence why Olimar and ZSS's up-B moves were changed), and that might have tied in to Ivysaur being removed. However, today's pic of the day shows that isn't the case, and multiple characters are confirmed with tether recovery. The only Brawl ones that come to mind are Samus, Lucas, the Links, and the characters that I've already mentioned, so maybe Ivysaur still has a chance?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Why programm Mewtwo till so far as being a boss character, but not make him playable though? It's not like he's impossible to work with as a character unlike Ridley lol

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
In a really weird way, I see Little Mac as Ivysaur's replacement. It dawned on me earlier today that they serve the same anti-air goal in their designs.

Also, I'm probably the odd one out here, but I actually care about the trainer himself way more than Squirtle or Ivysaur. I'd much rather see him return to be on his own than either of those two Pokémon (which I think is weird considering I main Squirtle in M and use him a lot in Brawl). I've always liked Red as a character and it was awesome to see him being represented in Brawl. I've never felt like I was a Pokémon while playing Pokémon, but I did feel like a Pokémon Trainer.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
In a really weird way, I see Little Mac as Ivysaur's replacement. It dawned on me earlier today that they serve the same anti-air goal in their designs.

Also, I'm probably the odd one out here, but I actually care about the trainer himself way more than Squirtle or Ivysaur. I'd much rather see him return to be on his own than either of those two Pokémon (which I think is weird considering I main Squirtle in M and use him a lot in Brawl). I've always liked Red as a character and it was awesome to see him being represented in Brawl. I've never felt like I was a Pokémon while playing Pokémon, but I did feel like a Pokémon Trainer.
Same here.
The other day I was thinking that it'd be awesome if he were the fighter this time around, but Wartortle, Venusaur, and Charmander (among 3 others) were part of his own personal moveset.

Maybe a summoner style character. He'd work as if he had pokeball items exclusive to him. He could throw the pokeball, it would cause damage, and his pokemon would follow up the attack(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom