• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
@Masonomace I feel that Red would just use a mixture of all Pokemon from all gens in a summoner sort of way. There's so much potential there for him.

Masonomace said:
Gen 2 - 5. Owell:ohwell:
Did you play Gen 6? Just a random question.

Completely Random:
If Mount Silver were a stage would Red be the Boss? (Yellow Devil esc.)

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
@Masonomace I feel that Red would just use a mixture of all Pokemon from all gens in a summoner sort of way. There's so much potential there for him.

Did you play Gen 6? Just a random question.

Completely Random:
If Mount Silver were a stage would Red be the Boss? (Yellow Devil esc.)
Red with Pkmn as his move-set potential is huge but he needs some HMs & Pkmn held items for any extra MMF to his move-set. I did not play Gen.6, or 5, or 4... I stopped playing hand-helds after Gen.3

& that'd be kinda cool if PT wasn't a DLC character, Mt. Silver is a hype battleground & red would definitely be the boss but that would be difficult to implement. Multiple Pkmn to fight just to beat Red is satisfying in a sense but I feel that's overdoing it just for a stage idea. No problem with that though

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Red with Pkmn as his move-set potential is huge but he needs some HMs & Pkmn held items for any extra MMF to his move-set. I did not play Gen.6, or 5, or 4... I stopped playing hand-helds after Gen.3

& that'd be kinda cool if PT wasn't a DLC character, Mt. Silver is a hype battleground & red would definitely be the boss but that would be difficult to implement. Multiple Pkmn to fight just to beat Red is satisfying in a sense but I feel that's overdoing it just for a stage idea. No problem with that though
Yeah, he does need a lot more than just pokemon in this. I don't know how to implement that, though.

If you wanted to get back into the handhelds I recommend picking up X or Y, as they're a great starting spot for the Pokemon series

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If we are discussing bug, I'm sorry, I need it to be Butterfree, because it needs to be butterfree.
Also, the anime just inspires most Pokemon choices, and everyone still cries over Ash letting his Butterfree go to mate and die.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
If we are discussing bug, I'm sorry, I need it to be Butterfree, because it needs to be butterfree.
Also, the anime just inspires most Pokemon choices, and everyone still cries over Ash letting his Butterfree go to mate and die.
Yo dawg it's never too late to throw in your two cents about Rock / Ground type Pkmn representaion. I approve of Butterfree because It'd return the character development that Pkmn fans remembered & never forgot, using Pkmn Trainer (DLC) with Butterfree. Pkmn Trainer from Brawl was based off the FRLG trainer art concept maybe they'd have an ash / Satoshi pallet town palette swap to go with.
Briefly on the palette swap topic, how about Male & Female trainers character design & attire as alternate costumes? If we stopped there that'd would end the discussion however that may lead to the topic of multiple Pkmn Trainers with respected said Pkmn used from their respected generation / region. Oh man...

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think having more than one trainer is unnecessary, and frankly makes the originality of the character completely destroyed.

As for ground/rock-- I guess I don't think highly of the types, but I think they don't need to be repped particularly. They never seem to be fan favorites, and maybe I still just don't understand why they need to even be separate types, but if trainer could only represent a few types, I would not want that to be one, mostly because there arent many notable pokemon I associate with that type from a Red/Ash based character.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Butterfree seems like a good choice, but my only problem is the what would it do aspect. Butterfree isn't too notable for anything aside from the anime and evolving from Caterpie. I do think it's a good choice, I'm just lost as to what it'll do.

monkokaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
monkokaio
3DS FC
4468-1090-0122
If a bug type would ever even remotely get representation as a playable character it'd probably be Scizor. It's popular, it's great in competetive pokemon play, it was in a poke ball in melee, and it got a mega evolution.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Butterfree seems like a good choice, but my only problem is the what would it do aspect. Butterfree isn't too notable for anything aside from the anime and evolving from Caterpie. I do think it's a good choice, I'm just lost as to what it'll do.
Butterfree is known for being great with powders: it learns Sleep Powder, Poison Powder, and Stun Spore, giving you a wide variety of ways to afflict opponents in battle, particularly for capturing pokemon

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
To add onto it because Butterfree's did it in the anime, they flapped their wings to guide the powder/spore moves to affect the opponent faster.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
and it got a mega evolution.
No offense but (imo) the last thing we need is more Mega Evolution final smashes. We already have
and
;
and if
comes back, we can be sure to see either
or
Some people are also pushing for
, and you know what that means:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
No offense but (imo) the last thing we need is more Mega Evolution final smashes..
Some people are also pushing for
, and you know what that means:
Yoooooooooo you already know I'll be ready for that reptilian green christmas tree dinosaur gecko anytime~

*Cough* Back to the topic I dis-approve of Final Smash pokemon in PT's said move-set, but that wasn't Monko's point. I'm pretty open to Beedrill Butterfree or Scizor atm.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Yoooooooooo you already know I'll be ready for that reptilian green christmas tree dinosaur gecko anytime~

*Cough* Back to the topic I dis-approve of Final Smash pokemon in PT's said move-set, but that wasn't Monko's point. I'm pretty open to Beedrill Butterfree or Scizor atm.
Yeah, I realize monkokaio wasn't implying a final smash, but if
becomes playable (somehow), that'll be his FS.

Bug needs some representation in Sm4sh, it's one of the most ignored types. Beedrill sounds nice, maybe like an attack where he lets one go and it flies across the stage? That'd be OP though.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Truly they do, their Pokeball summons from 64 / Melee was cool whyyyyyyyyy remove them ;_;

New FS Idea for DLC PT: Cliche neutral B press with a fishing Rod as a hit-box to proc the FS, he calls out all of his pokemon & they fill the stage / area doing powerful choreographed moves in sync while Pkmn Trainer gives out generic command lines. It's another one of those 'combine your powers & form captain planet use all ya got everyone!' things

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
What about the other types, too? He needs reps for those types of attacks, what would those be? I think as an up special it could be fly, to represent flying type. It'd make the most sense, wouldn't it?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Indeed Fly is a very common Up Special idea so that's almost out of the question not applying HM Fly to a Pkmn he'd have for recovery. The end or landing of the Flying Pkmn would have a returning animation was whenever he wanted the pkmn to return to the pokeball in mid flight or w.e. So I approve of that the question atm would be, what other options would PT be able to do on top of / hanging onto his Flying Pkmn? Fishing Rod grab, drop off the pkmn & the pkmn becomes a guided projectile? A summoning PT user with Pkmn in a move-set for a Smash game is endless of possibilities...

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
A summoning PT user with Pkmn in a move-set for a Smash game is endless of possibilities...
Yeah but what other way could you really do it?

I guess the bike for B→.
Maybe Fishing Rod grapple for B↑ (like Olimar's Pikmin rope in Brawl)

Really what else is there? Throwing items for B?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Yeah but what other way could you really do it?

I guess the bike for B→.
Maybe Fishing Rod grapple for B↑ (like Olimar's Pikmin rope in Brawl)

Really what else is there? Throwing items for B?
HM's & Key Items are also a seperate good topic for discussion. PT is one of those 'don't mess with this character since he's completely unnecessary without pkmn switches because derp n slurp Sm4sh removed transforms' but PT can do just about fine without that...Key Items HMs momentary summons of pkmn for moves with hit-boxes & bonus properties? Still so much variety I'd be impressed if PT made it to DLC with such possibilities.:shades:

monkokaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
monkokaio
3DS FC
4468-1090-0122
Down B could be spraying a repel that stuns opponents, I like that idea.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really do not want to see PT with key items, i think that is a waste of his character, we have Villager using items and that is dandy.
The key items have very little to do with Trainer, as well. They get him through the game, but they arent by any means the point of the game, or Pokemon at all.

Summoning and CATCHING pokemon, that is the trainer. So pokeballs and pokemon, that is what id want him to be. If somehow they including training, such as the training of pokemon in there, then that could be pretty great. Given all the customization in this game, I think that could be a unique feature; either by having different pokemon customizable into his summons, different TMs into his movesets, or flat out ways that he trains his pokemon while on the field to alter them slightly (where he has a healing pokemon, a stat switching pokemon, a sleep enducing pokemon, etc).
Hell, he could even possibly have pokemon play off of each other, double summoning to pay tribute to double and triple summons- where the strengths of each play off one another to really give more strategy into the games typings, or abilities, or the items they hold, or--- I Mean--any of the other plentiful features in the pokemon games that the single pokemon in SM4SH dont alone take account for.

There are so many options between typings, movesets, double battles, contests, competitions, items, calendar, gender, breeding, olympics- there are many ways to incoporate the strategy of pokemon into the strategy of the trainer. Super missed opportunity not to have him.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
a mix between summoning 6 different pokemon for smash attacks and specials and then using items like repels for tilts and stuff.

He'd be a really good zoning character. probably.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I really do not want to see PT with key items, i think that is a waste of his character, we have Villager using items and that is dandy.
The key items have very little to do with Trainer, as well. They get him through the game, but they arent by any means the point of the game, or Pokemon at all.

Summoning and CATCHING pokemon, that is the trainer. So pokeballs and pokemon, that is what id want him to be. If somehow they including training, such as the training of pokemon in there, then that could be pretty great. Given all the customization in this game, I think that could be a unique feature; either by having different pokemon customizable into his summons, different TMs into his movesets, or flat out ways that he trains his pokemon while on the field to alter them slightly (where he has a healing pokemon, a stat switching pokemon, a sleep enducing pokemon, etc).
Hell, he could even possibly have pokemon play off of each other, double summoning to pay tribute to double and triple summons- where the strengths of each play off one another to really give more strategy into the games typings, or abilities, or the items they hold, or--- I Mean--any of the other plentiful features in the pokemon games that the single pokemon in SM4SH dont alone take account for.

There are so many options between typings, movesets, double battles, contests, competitions, items, calendar, gender, breeding, olympics- there are many ways to incoporate the strategy of pokemon into the strategy of the trainer. Super missed opportunity not to have him.
I stand in the position that he should be a summoner. It wouldn't be bad to have a few item references (taunts, maybe? Sprays repel into the air for a taunt?) He has so much potential but I don't think he can over represent one type, which is why we were coming up with ideas for repping Bug, Rock, and Ground in his moveset. I enjoy coming up with ideas for movesets and I think there's a lot of source material to go with on Red/Trainer. So let's come up with some ideas for him here!

..There are so many options...breeding,....
I can just picture him throwing an egg forward (not that it's going to happen)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I really want him to use a Beedrill somehow. :015:

maybe it could do the initial animation of the 64 pokeball thing upon being sent out.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I really want him to use a Beedrill somehow. :015:

maybe it could do the initial animation of the 64 pokeball thing upon being sent out.
I was thinking along the same lines, maybe just one that he shoots forward?

Here's a crazy idea:

Instead of having Pokemon Trainer have color swaps, he could have different Trainer Classes (sort of like how :pikachumelee:&:jigglypuffmelee: have hats) as his "palette swaps."
Just a few, though. Like the ones you can select on your trainer card in gens 4 & 5.

Or possibly pokemon trainers from other gens if that doesn't fly with you.

Here's an even crazier idea I had:

If you want to add more representation of playable characters, rework his original model a little and add the wristband from this:

(That's the Pokemon Ranger, if you didn't know)
There could be a lot more potential, using the Capture Styler for grabs and such.

These are just random ideas I had, tell me what you think.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
His Pokedex could also serve as the new Telecom info for all the characters, should Snake be cut.
That would be a stronger reference for most fans, I'd say. People tend to know Dexter over ... Snake's guy

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
His Pokedex could also serve as the new Telecom info for all the characters, should Snake be cut.
That would be a stronger reference for most fans, I'd say. People tend to know Dexter over ... Snake's guy
You have a great point there. The Pokedex is a lot more relevant with younger kids than Otacon(?).

Looking at the evidence, it seems that Snake is going to be cut. They're giving all of his moves to items and other characters now. Sheik has the grenade, there's an item like his Side-Special, ZSS's Final Smash is similar to Snake's, etc. Not to mention that the most recent MG wasn't on WiiU. I'm sad to say it but Snake probably won't be back :(.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, hopefully in his place will be another character.

I'd insert a spoiler but I do not see it as a button, or perhaps I'm too excited by the super unlikely prospect, but.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Well, hopefully in his place will be another character.

I'd insert a spoiler but I do not see it as a button, or perhaps I'm too excited by the super unlikely prospect, but.

We can only hope for Bomberman!

Oh and spoilers aren't a button. You have to type them manually it's [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] without the spaces there

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
that answers a lot
get on it, smashboards

Status
Not open for further replies.