• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I think he means it should have just been a texture. I also think he's crazy; the costume is amazing.
I honestly think he's right. It's kinda lame.

Couldn't even tell the eyes were any different until I saw this render.

I'm afraid I don't understand your logic. I know that both sexes can be sexually exploited, I'm just saying that Nintendo has really only done so with very few characters, and it just so happens their most popular female character is not represented in a way that dignifies her back story. Greatest bounty hunter, prodigy of the chozo, high ranking military officer =/= skin tight latex, sometimes exposed midriff, high heels (the shoes make absolutely no sense in a combat setting)

Granted, given the design of the power suit Samus cannot wear particularly cumbersome clothing, but that does not excuse the blatant fan-service Nintendo includes in Metroid games. Nearly every game in the series rewards players with high completion percentages and fast finishing times with images of Samus in little clothing. After finishing her epic missions through treacherous alien planets, after participating in hostile enemy encounters, what happens next? Her accomplishments are discarded and she is treated as a pin-up girl. There is no dignity in that.

There is a difference between being sexually alluring and being purposely designed to be sexually exploited. If you enjoy the Justin Bailey or Zero Suit clothing, fine, that correlates with your own tastes and I have no business telling you otherwise. However, being sexy shouldn't define Samus, yet it does as soon as the armor comes off.
Or maybe she's just taking off the armor to relax after another long day on the job just like any other woman, or person for that matter?

Sheesh, you sound like a raging feminist. It's not that big of a deal.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We're not doing a full Virtual Boy ROB set or anything, it's just one outfit. I'm not seeing the issue or confusion here.
I have to praise the Virtual Boy ROB. Its level of detail is impeccable. Good job on it along with the other costumes.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I await the day we're all upres-ing Project M with Dolphin and can finally appreciate these fine details.

Malion

Smash Ace
I like that virtual boy rob. makes me think there should be a palette representing every nintendo console though.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I have to praise the Virtual Boy ROB. Its level of detail is impeccable. Good job on it along with the other costumes.
"Level of detail"? Hardly anything has really been changed aside from the eyes and the "Virtual Boy" label on there!

Am I missing something here? -.o'

Aside from the 1-800 number?

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Or maybe she's just taking off the armor to relax after another long day on the job just like any other woman, or person for that matter?

Sheesh, you sound like a raging feminist. It's not that big of a deal.
I wouldn't say raging, but I am displeased. Most women relaxing after a long day don't throw on heels and spandex though, just saying.

And you're right, it isn't a big deal, but I do feel Samus deserves a bit more respectable attire in her games. I just think think her Zero Suit portrayal devalues her accomplishments, at the end of he day she's more than a pretty face, and should be treated as such. That's all I'm saying here, not trying to 'rage' or anything.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Don't get me wrong, I like the costume and I think it's really good. I just don't think it's different enough that it should be an alt, IMO.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
"Level of detail"? Hardly anything has really been changed aside from the eyes and the "Virtual Boy" label on there!

Its extremely well made. The eye pieces look just like the viewing lenses to an actual Virtual Boy and there is also the help hotline number on it, as well the adjustment dial on top of the head. I am probably one of the few people that owns a Virtual Boy so I like those little extra details.

(the Virtual Boy actually did have a few decent games for it, particularly the amazing Virtual Boy Wario Land, which may be the pinnacle to the Wario Land series).

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman

Aside from the 1-800 number?
The entire head has been remodeled as a Virtual Boy! Not to mention little details here and there like new labels.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I wouldn't say raging, but I am displeased. Most women relaxing after a long day don't throw on heels and spandex though, just saying.

And you're right, it isn't a big deal, but I do feel Samus deserves a bit more respectable attire in her games. I just think think her Zero Suit portrayal devalues her accomplishments, at the end of he day she's more than a pretty face, and should be treated as such. That's all I'm saying here, not trying to 'rage' or anything.
Honestly, I just can't agree with you.

I don't see it as "at the end of the day, she's not just another pretty face". I see it as it being that at the end of the day, armor or not, she's still Samus Aran. She does things in her own way and her own style regardless of what anyone thinks about it. No more or little amount of clothing or armor changes that. How others respect her isn't important, it's how she sees and respects herself and lives freely as she chooses.

Unless it's Other M Samus where suddenly one crotchety old fart's thoughts mean the world to her and she makes herself a housewife in the kitchen, but we don't talk about that. XD

zoom in deep and you can see wario's woods in 3d in the eyes.
Its extremely well made. The eye pieces look just like the viewing lenses to an actual Virtual Boy and there is also the help hotline number on it, as well the adjustment dial on top of the head. I am probably one of the few people that owns a Virtual Boy so I like those little extra details.

(the Virtual Boy actually did have a few decent games for it, particularly the amazing Virtual Boy Wario Land, which may be the pinnacle to the Wario Land series).
Pretty sure I stated this last page or the page before it, but as someone who isn't a Nintendo fan and doesn't study or memorize everything in it's history from eons ago, I don't even know what the **** a Virtual Boy is. To me, this just looks like a red and black R.O.B. with binoculars for eyes that someone can only really see if they pause and look at him close enough. And even then, it just looks like the circles for his eyes were made into squares.

So simply put, I guess I just can't appreciate it. It's not interesting at all to me. Ancient Minister still would've been more appealing. *shrugs* Oh well.

The entire head has been remodeled as a Virtual Boy! Not to mention little details here and there like new labels.
Already pointed out the small labels and aside from the eyes, the head still looks the same shape to me.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
So... about Marth... now that his SSB4 colors resemble that of Shadow Dragon, does that mark out FE11/FE12 Marth outfits of alt costumes?

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
For Zero Suit Samus Id like to see her retro look and her short hair military outfit. Inside the armor though, oh God, Im pretty sure she has a suit for each color basically.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, a couple of her suits are just recolors so Samus could very well be

Standard(Orange Yellow)
Gravity Suit(Purple recolor basically)
Phazon Suit(Black/grey/red)
Some colors for Team battle

And then alternate costumes as
Light Suit
Dark Suit
PED enabled Suit + Corruption
Fusion Suit

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Can someone please explain to me the difference between a model import from brawlvault and a costume on this new engine?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not really a "difference", but rather that the engine provides features such as single-slot idiosyncrasies (such as Dr. Mario's electric effects) for custom models, as well as the ability to go beyond Brawl's number of costume slots. So costumes in this engine are allowed to have more stuff that would normally completely use up character slots.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Can someone please explain to me the difference between a model import from brawlvault and a costume on this new engine?
Deeer, I think you mean what does this engine do?

Because most things on Brawl Vault require you to replace one of the default costumes of a character. Where this engine has created "new" slots for costumes where you dont have to replace anything to add them.

EDIT, DAM NINJAS, THEY POO ON MY STYLE

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Long story short, PMBR makes the costumes for this new engine, while model import is... well... an imported model (not made)

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Long story short, PMBR makes the costumes for this new engine, while model import is... well... an imported model (not made)
an imported model is just new one that was rigged right onto the skeleton (as opposed to a vertex edit).

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
That's not very accurate since a lot of model imports ARE in fact custom made models nowadays. They aren't all just models from other games.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I like that virtual boy rob. makes me think there should be a palette representing every nintendo console though.

Oh man, that would be hooooot! Purple and black R.O.B. with orange eyes, White and blue R.O.B. with blue eyes.... mmmmhmmmm!!!

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
zoom in deep and you can see wario's woods in 3d in the eyes.
Actually, it is Mario Tennis. I've owned and played a VB and one of the very few games I owned was Mario Tennis. There is no mistaking it. You can see the tennis court, ball, and net. In fact:
This appears to be the image they used.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
So... about Marth... now that his SSB4 colors resemble that of Shadow Dragon, does that mark out FE11/FE12 Marth outfits of alt costumes?
I hope not. I really like that costume and think it would be perfect as an Alt for Marth. Or someone else could just make FE12 styled Marth and I could replace that individually. Either way, I'd be happy.

Malion

Smash Ace
Actually, it is Mario Tennis. I've owned and played a VB and one of the very few games I owned was Mario Tennis. There is no mistaking it. You can see the tennis court, ball, and net. In fact:
This appears to be the image they used.
I'll admit what I said was mostly a joke. I wasn't seriously suggesting they had a game image in his eyes but hot damn they do! That's pretty insane right there.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Vanguard Ike or Lord Ike it would be really awesome to play with either....

Lord Ike:

Vanguard Ike:

Hero Ike:

( Hero Ike sure looks good too and that Sword is just amazing it's called the "Ettard" )

sokaru

Smash Rookie
Zamus's boobs much ​​bigger! :D

And for Sheik, I found this...hylian Sheik

Taiko

Smash Ace
I have to say, the costumes are very well done. Outset Link looks much better than I could have expected!
Though, it seems odd that not all the costumes are going to have recolours. Personally, I'd rather have even just the team colours for Outset Link, rather than say, Conductor Link. With the main advantage this has over cBliss being advertised as having "support for Team Colors with its added costumes," it seems really weird that not everyone will support the feature.

Also, considering the work and quality of these, it seems like a waste of something that could be truly amazing. Though I see that it could be a bit difficult, I'm sure there are solutions. With Virtual Boy ROB for example, his team colours would stand out with the rest of the body being black, so I think that could work. Even adding slight colour to the black would work I think, and you'd still be able to differentiate Virtual Boy ROB from his default red, while still being able to see that it's a different costume than default ROB as well.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a Sigurd or Celice costume for Marth (NOT a reskin, just Marth wearing the same outfits that they wore in FE4). Jugdral is so sadly underappreciated in SSB.....

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a Sigurd or Celice costume for Marth (NOT a reskin, just Marth wearing the same outfits that they wore in FE4). Jugdral is so sadly underappreciated in SSB.....

IMHO it's sadly overrated at the same time, I do love jugdral (Fire Emblem 5 is tied with Radiant Dawn as my favorite) but Aesthetically I don't think it's that good the artstyle is terrible which makes me wonder why do you Marth to wear the armor of Seliph and Sigurd ? I think a recoloring will do the job because there isn't much of a difference in the armors they wear.

MasterScrub

M O N A D O B O Y S
NNID
MasterScrub
I really can't say I agree with making some costumes one slot only. At least make team colors for all of them.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Is there a list of which alternative costume characters get Team Colors and which don't? Melee Link as well as Lobster Pajamas Link seem like good candidates for Team Colors and I hope they consider adding them if they haven't.

Other additions like Virtual Boy ROB seem more like a single costume idea that doesn't translate as well with alternative colors.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Damn, I just thought of a skin I wana see, but then realized it would break the PMBR's rules :(

But anyway... I want a Funky Kong skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom