• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I still think that FE 12 Marth is what they should go with, and we can just add Awakening Marth on our own time. It's my standard Marth already, probably always will be.

Fortress

Smash Master
I thought that only stood for characters and not anything else. costumes/stages and thats why we have a Castlevania stage.
I'm pretty sure there's no fine line between a character and costume. If Awakening Marth is thrown over Marth, I'm pretty sure that that's close enough to attract some unwanted attention.

red9rd

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure there's no fine line between a character and costume. If Awakening Marth is thrown over Marth, I'm pretty sure that that's close enough to attract some unwanted attention.
I somewhat agree with you, but why did they leave in the Caslevania stage (even though I love the series.) It just makes all of us go crazy over the rules.

red9rd

Smash Ace
I believe this only applies to the Clone Engine
Have they stated if it's possible for more than one alternate costume.?
(Someone would get a LOT of likes if they made a topic where the first post would just be Pmbr quotes.)

God damn double post sorry

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Have they stated if it's possible for more than one alternate costume?
Warchamp stated in yesterdays Japan Time podcast that they only plan to have one Alt. Costume per character and it MUST be a variant of that character, not something like Eliwood over Roy. The way he stated it, it sounds like it's possible to have more than one alt costume, but they won't do that. I'm guessing so because it'll take away from P:M's professionalism thus far.

red9rd

Smash Ace
Yeah that's what I heard like if you wanted Eliwood it would be Roy posing as him, which would be less likely with all the other costumes Roy can wear.
Do you think the Pmbr are up there in their Holyland, Observing us and our chatter, and laughing at how most of our arguments on this forum don't matter at all?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Hey I just got an idea. Would the alternate costume engine allow for changing just a few details on a model instead of a whole costume change? I ask this because while I can't come up with a really good costume for Ganon I think it would be neat if when he taunted he would take out his Spaceworld 2000 trailer sword instead of the one he stole from the sages in Twilight Princess.

Though I just rendered my own comment dumb by realizing in the middle of my post that it would be cool if he wore his Wind Waker robes (not a skin, just the clothes) as an alt. According to the official timeline, TP and WW Ganon are the same person, just in different timelines. Would that be considered a stretch to do or no?

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Everything you stated is possible and has probably been done already by someone in Brawlvault, but it's all a matter of who the PMBR deems a good Alt. for the cast members.

Fortress

Smash Master
Pajamadorf is styling, don't deny it. His sword taunt would need to be replaced by a pillow and a Cuckoo coffee mug though.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
this for Zelda

the only thing I can think of for shiek is maybe Impa from OOT but then twilight princess sheik would have to go with robed Zelda, and impa would be regular Zelda. somehow though that still doesn't feel right. idk sheik is tough but I do think this would be and awesome alternate for zelda

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
'cause it'd be incredibly tough to do well.

I love the Hero's Shade. Probably my favorite thing about Twilight Princess.

Him or Stallord.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Bowser = Dry Bowser
Charizard = Clone Charizard
DK = DK Jr. Shirt
Mr. Game & Watch = Chef Hat
Ivysaur = Bloome Bud
Jigglypuff = Crown
Lucario = Mega Lucario
Luigi = Mr. L
Meta Knight = Beta Meta Knight
Peach = Wedding Peach
Pikachu = Party Hat
R.O.B. = Ancient Minster
Squirtle = Squirtle Squad Glasses (remove the easter egg)
Toon Link = Outset Link

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Bowser = Dry Bowser
Charizard = Clone Charizard
DK = DK Jr. Shirt
Mr. Game & Watch = Chef Hat
Ivysaur = Bloome Bud
Jigglypuff = Crown
Lucario = Mega Lucario
Luigi = Mr. L
Meta Knight = Beta Meta Knight
Peach = Wedding Peach
Pikachu = Party Hat
R.O.B. = Ancient Minster
Squirtle = Squirtle Squad Glasses (remove the easter egg)
Toon Link = Outset Link
All yes except change clone charizard to charizard X

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
^ above, and having ancient minister is cool but it feels so wrong to see his arms /:

Fortress

Smash Master
How do you recolor a skeleton though?

Exactly.
He's got some colorful duds on, and he's leafy to boot. I'm sure you could get away with different 'seasons' of vegetation on him, as well as armor colors. And, technically, he's the same Link from Ocarina/Melee, so it could satisfy people who want Melee Link (not really).

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
the only thing I can think of for shiek is maybe Impa from OOT but then twilight princess sheik would have to go with robed Zelda, and impa would be regular Zelda. somehow though that still doesn't feel right. idk sheik is tough but I do think this would be and awesome alternate for zelda
I'd be fine if they just came up with a new outfit for Sheik. Maybe one that looks more like Zelda, or just a different take on her costume.

Fortress

Smash Master
I'd be fine if they just came up with a new outfit for Sheik. Maybe one that looks more like Zelda, or just a different take on her costume.
What about Twilight Sheik? She could be wearing some darker garments and have those bright streaks of light typical of Twili attire from Twilight Princess? It'd almost have a sort of 'Tron Ninja' feel to it.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I just don't even think PMBR should force alt costumes for every cast member. A lot of these alt costumes proposed are super contrived and while they may be canon to their respective franchises, they just don't belong at all. If it feels natural, then great, but otherwise, I think it'd be better to just provide additional texture slots and let players add in whatever they want, just as they have been doing.

Fortress

Smash Master
I just don't even think PMBR should force alt costumes for every cast member. A lot of these alt costumes proposed are super contrived and while they may be canon to their respective franchises, they just don't belong at all. If it feels natural, then great, but otherwise, I think it'd be better to just provide additional texture slots and let players add in whatever they want, just as they have been doing.
We'd still be able to place our own textures over the ones PMBR puts on, anyway. I'm assuming it will be that way, anyway, since Wario's folder has all of his slots in there for us to mess around with. So, even if some of the things we want or don't want make it in, we can still put whatever we would want over them anyway.

Skieth

Smash Apprentice
Most of the costumes I'm seeing in here can actually be done with a simple vertex hack. Its already possible to have every skin of a character use a different "model". My understanding of the new PM alt costume system is that the vertex hack can be coupled with new particle effects and new sounds. (Dr. Mario looks different, has lightning on some smashes, shoots pills instead of fireballs, and his pills make different sound effects while bouncing).

Here are some examples of skins that would benefit from new sounds, new particle fx, and a new model.

Sonic -> Knuckles,Shadow, Metal Sonic (change voice sounds)
Pikachu -> Some similarly shaped pokemon thats a different element
Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard -> some new get pokemon thats similar
Marth -> Lynn (new voice sounds)
Ike -> Hector (new voice)
Mr. Game and Watch -> Paper Mario

These are all ways of incorporating a totally new characters without actually burning a clone engine slot on them. I'd wager PM won't actually do character shifts like this, but they illustrate whats possible with the engine.

Fortress

Smash Master
I'm really hoping that if Sonic is touched at all, that it's just chubby Classic Sonic and not Knuckles, Metal, or Shadow... I know how popular they are, but... they're everywhere...

Hector is a must though. I agree, one-hundred-percent. Heck, even Ike wearing Greil's clothing would be nice.

Granted, Lord Ike looks nearly identical, but, you know.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
A lot of people seem to be forgetting the "costume" part of Alternate Costume Engine.

They aren't going to do pointless s*** like Shadow over Sonic or a different Fire Emblem character over Marth/Ike/Roy.

Dr. Mario is Mario with a doctor's outfit. Armored Mewtwo is Mewtwo with armor. Outset Toon Link is Toon Link without his Hero's garb. Party hat Pikachu is Pikachu with a party hat.

Only the appearance changes, the character itself is exactly the same.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Everybody is just Hector wearing Link, Peach, Bowser, etc. costumes. You know that it's true.
Hector can't wield a bow like Link. lol. In any case, I think a lot of people are relating this to the "Clash of Ninja 2" epidemic, where if you press Y on Iruka, you get Mizuki. Two different characters but with exactly same playstyle. Different voices, too, just saying. But I think the main issue here is the Cease and Desist possibility chances. Otherwise, I'd be elated to have a Lucina-Marth Costume. lol.

Fortress

Smash Master
A lot of people seem to be forgetting the "costume" part of Alternate Costume Engine.

They aren't going to do pointless s*** like Shadow over Sonic or a different Fire Emblem character over Marth/Ike/Roy.

Dr. Mario is Mario with a doctor's outfit. Armored Mewtwo is Mewtwo with armor. Outset Toon Link is Toon Link without his Hero's garb. Party hat Pikachu is Pikachu with a party hat.

Only the appearance changes, the character itself is exactly the same.
This. The only alt costume that I've suggested (that I can think of) that isn't the character themselves is Hector over Ike, but even I know that it wouldn't work, simply because of the shape of an Axe versus Ike's Ragnell and how it wouldn't respect hitboxes.

Skieth

Smash Apprentice

This is generally true. However, its very easy to throw a set of costumes onto a character. Its been possible to give mario a Dr. Mario costume for quite some time. Whats new and exciting is the ability to add sound effects and particle effects to skins. Even the mewtwo armor has been not only possible, but publicly available for a long time. I'm also not sure why party-hat pikachu is deserving of the super costume slot.

As far as we know, only one "super costume" is available per character. In my opinion, the special costume should be something that really benefits from the sound and particles, not just an outfit changes. Because that's been possible. For years.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Chubby Sonic would be awesome, but it probably wouldn't fit the bones very well.

UberAndrew

Smash Cadet
Two possible Sonic Alts:

Scourge (The Green one) is Sonic from an alternate dimension. He is but isn't Sonic at the same time, so I don't know how the PMBR would count him.

The robot is Sonic roboticized (turned into a robot), so he is technically Sonic.

Both are from the Archie Comics series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom