• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Arts and Alts Thread

Thank you PMDT!

• :)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • :')

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • ;-;

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinsic

Smash Apprentice
I totally agree - if you start getting into multiple model swaps for costumes, it starts to feel real "fan-mod"ish.

Personally, I do a lot of that stuff. My Marth, for example, has about 4 other characters on him.

But I feel like since the PMBR is so legit and wants to maintain that level of professionalism, it makes more sense for them to pick one Samus suit and give that a bunch of recolors.
I disagree, and I don't think your comparison to Marth is really apt. Making Marth into different characters feels fanmode-ish, imo, because you're making him into entirely different characters - this is the same thing someone from the PMBR said they wouldn't do. But with Samus's suits, they're all stuff she herself has worn in her actual games, and she isn't a different character at all when you switch costumes. She's still Samus in the Light Suit as much as she is in the PED Suit.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
You sure?

That's some pretty seamless editing then...

I don't know where the input would be mapped, but it certainly looks as though he can switch back and forth. Maybe a back room member can clarify?

Most of the stuff in Turbo Tuesdays is TAS'd

lag comp

Smash Rookie
I may be the minority but am I the only one who prefers palette swaps over alt costumes?
I don't like the feel playing a character with a different costume, I need somehow to adjust myself of playing the same character because I'm not used to it's sprite. But with palette swaps I don't have that feeling and personally I like playing characters with cool looking color palettes.

I could also just delete any alt costume to suit my liking but I think the PMBR staff should leave alt costumes to the discret of players if they want to add and use alt costumes for their personal preference. For myself, don't like the idea of playing with an armored mewtwo or an vaati alt for toon link or anything the sort.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
I may be the minority but am I the only one who prefers palette swaps over alt costumes?
I don't like the feel playing a character with a different costume, I need somehow to adjust myself of playing the same character because I'm not used to it's sprite. But with palette swaps I don't have that feeling and personally I like playing characters with cool looking color palettes.

I could also just delete any alt costume to suit my liking but I think the PMBR staff should leave alt costumes to the discret of players if they want to add and use alt costumes for their personal preference. For myself, don't like the idea of playing with an armored mewtwo or an vaati alt for toon link or anything the sort.
Exactly how I feel about characters like Link, Toon Link, Samus, etc.

Dr. Mario, Lodestar Marth, Vanguard/Hero Ike, Daisy/Rosalina, they can work, but I'd prefer recolors instead as well.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
All of the Zelda characters (Link, Zelda, Ganon, and Sheik, at the very least) need Ocarina of Time skins.

As for Marth, I can't be the only one who would like to see a Celice costume. Not a skin, but just the same outfit that Celice wore in FE4:

An Eliwood Cosume for Roy (again, just the outfit, not a full-blown skin) would also be nice:

It would also be neat to see Ness in his pajamas as an Alt:

And/or and alternate Ness costume... (EARTHBOUND SPOILERS AHEAD)

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
My top hopes for this engine.

1. Alternate costumes are just that; ALTERNATE COSTUMES. Not Alternate characters (Koopa costume for Squirtle), and not alternate versions of characters (Melee-style Fox/Falco or OoT Link/Ganon)
2. There is a single alternate costume for every character. It's only fair, right? A limit of one per character (with alternate colors) to prevent overload.
3. Mewtwo's armor.
3. C. Falcon with an erection
3. In the instance where a character doesn't have an alternate costume, get creative PMBR.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
the zelda ones are good, but i'm not to excited bout those FE ones
Only suggested those because the Jugdral FE's get absolutely NO love in Smash, and because Eliwood as a full-on character would be redundant. It would still be nice to see Eliwood get a nod, considering that his is the first FE to be released internationally.

Fortress

Smash Master
I disagree, and I don't think your comparison to Marth is really apt. Making Marth into different characters feels fanmode-ish, imo, because you're making him into entirely different characters - this is the same thing someone from the PMBR said they wouldn't do. But with Samus's suits, they're all stuff she herself has worn in her actual games, and she isn't a different character at all when you switch costumes. She's still Samus in the Light Suit as much as she is in the PED Suit.
See, that's the 'gray area' sort of situation I find myself in. For somebody like Link, or Marth, I'd love just a single model with multiple recolors. For a character like Samus, I'd much prefer to see her multitude of amazing Chozo hardware on the field. I'm really just caught in the middle.

I can see what Xinc meant, though, and I feel the same; having a character with umpteen-thousand models of different characters (ex: Sora over Marth) would just feel 'unprofessional' and not 'right' in this weird way. That's what I feel like Xinc was trying to get across.

This is a really weird and touchy thing, the alt costume discussion.

Fortress

Smash Master
An Eliwood Cosume for Roy (again, just the outfit, not a full-blown skin) would also be nice:

[/COLLAPSE]
I liked Eliwood a lot in his Fire Emblem title, but I think his main character flaw was that he wasn't Hector.

Tell me that this man's man just isn't the right choice. In fact, tell me why every character shouldn't have a Hector alt? I mean, c'mon, man... it's Hector.

Fortress

Smash Master
Fortress, I would insanely love a PMBR made Hector alt for Ike with the Wolf Beil and everything.
There's in incredible Hector model out there on the Vault, it's all I use for Ike. Erm, I mean, Hector. The only qualms I really have are that the axe is absolutely gigantic (not respecting hitboxes and whatnot), and that I can't throw him on every other character.

That mighty axe gives me confidence as Ike, and there's that intimidation factor. Seriously. I could start up a four-player game at the house with the roommates, set the controller down and grab something to eat, come back, and Hector will have at least four kills with zero input.

You can't prepare yo'self for Hector.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I liked Eliwood a lot in his Fire Emblem title, but I think his main character flaw was that he wasn't Hector.

Tell me that this man's man just isn't the right choice. In fact, tell me why every character shouldn't have a Hector alt? I mean, c'mon, man... it's Hector.
Because Axes? xD

Personally a Lucina Alt for Marth might make a lot more sense (because they have similar stature and style... well... kind of...)

Also was there any alt costume at TBH3?

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
A Lucina Alt. for Marth is a little out there for legal reasons. Don't let that hold back a suggestion that you believe would be free of a C&D flag (I:E has some mention in Brawl, something that by some sick twist of fate, Awakening does not have.), as many of these suggestions have been excellent, and legally viable. I'm still calling FE:12 Marth, and Eliwood Attire Roy, but feel free to disagree.

Edit: FE:12 is fair game, because it's a remake!!!!!1 Huzzah!!!!!!

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
A Lucina Alt. for Marth is a little out there for legal reasons. Don't let that hold back a suggestion that you believe would be free of a C&D flag (I:E has some mention in Brawl, something that by some sick twist of fate, Awakening does not have.), as many of these suggestions have been excellent, and legally viable. I'm still calling FE:12 Marth, and Eliwood Attire Roy, but feel free to disagree.

Edit: FE:12 is fair game, because it's a remake!!!!!1 Huzzah!!!!!!
Yeah, I was wondering if C&Ds would chase after alt costumes as well... I really don't know what to say here asides from if not Lucina then a swordsmaster-esque character for Marth's Alternate costume.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Crazy idea, but just throwing it out there. Hear me out! Maybe Marth's alternate costume should be Marth wearing a different costume, and not a totally different character.

Fortress

Smash Master
What's wrong with Link staying Link? Didn't we have that huge argument about it, like, four pages back?

is.. is that different at all?

I think this Awakening Marth texture Shun has up on Brawl Vault is pretty sexy
See, I kept thinking the same thing after I posted it. I guess the middle part of the outfit is much different, and hangs down in a different way. The pants are baggier, Falchion looks different, and it just looks less... armored. It's not allthat different at first glance, I can see that.

red9rd

Smash Ace
What's wrong with Link staying Link? Didn't we have that huge argument about it, like, four pages back?

See, I kept thinking the same thing after I posted it. I guess the middle part of the outfit is much different, and hangs down in a different way. The pants are baggier, Falchion looks different, and it just looks less... armored. It's not allthat different at first glance, I can see that.
You rather not have him have an alternate costume?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Toon link with the Minish Cap/ Mask on also

Or in a Vaati costume
You do realize that it's basically confirmed that Toon Link's costume is Outset Link (aka Pajama Link?) from the begining of WW, right? Like, they showed a silhouette that looks EXACTLY like Outset Link. There's really no question about it, it's pretty much soft confirmed.

Fortress

Smash Master
Also, just wanting to throw this out here again, right from the Project M homepage.

"First and foremost as a game mod, we are still under certain legal obligations and restrictions. To stay in Nintendo's good graces and to avoid attracting Cease & Desist letters from 3rd party companies, we are limiting our choice of new characters to those that Nintendo has already licensed for inclusion in Brawl. In other words, that restricts us to characters that already appear in the game in some way, such as trophies, assists, or stickers. Additionally, to avoid appearing as competition to Smash U/3DS sales in Nintendo's eyes, we do not have any plans to try to "back port" any new Smash 4 characters to Project M."

Not that I don't like the Awakening characters or artwork, myself, but I think that this limits what the PMBR can do in terms of legality.

red9rd

Smash Ace
You do realize that it's basically confirmed that Toon Link's costume is Outset Link (aka Pajama Link?) from the begining of WW, right? Like, they showed a silhouette that looks EXACTLY like Outset Link. There's really no question about it. It's pretty much soft confirmed.
But can't I dream? Can't I?

Fortress

Smash Master
You rather not have him have an alternate costume?
You do realize that it's basically confirmed that Toon Link's costume is Outset Link (aka Pajama Link?) from the begining of WW, right? Like, they showed a silhouette that looks EXACTLY like Outset Link. There's really no question about it, it's pretty much soft confirmed.
Basically that. Myself and some others mentioned it pages and pages ago, during the Great Sealing War of Page Eleven (or wherever it was).

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Personally, I'd prefer that you keep those dreams to yourself, so people can look through the thread for things that actually stand a chance. But if you must clutter the thread, please post your gigantic fullscreen images in collapse tags.

red9rd

Smash Ace
Also, just wanting to throw this out here again, right from the Project M homepage.

"First and foremost as a game mod, we are still under certain legal obligations and restrictions. To stay in Nintendo's good graces and to avoid attracting Cease & Desist letters from 3rd party companies, we are limiting our choice of new characters to those that Nintendo has already licensed for inclusion in Brawl. In other words, that restricts us to characters that already appear in the game in some way, such as trophies, assists, or stickers. Additionally, to avoid appearing as competition to Smash U/3DS sales in Nintendo's eyes, we do not have any plans to try to "back port" any new Smash 4 characters to Project M."

Not that I don't like the Awakening characters or artwork, myself, but I think that this limits what the PMBR can do in terms of legality.
I thought that only stood for characters and not anything else. costumes/stages and thats why we have a Castlevania stage.

Fortress

Smash Master
At the top of page sixteen, there was a post in regards to Melee Ganondorf. I'm using a texture from the Vault at the moment that's spot on, and improved on. He's even got working expressions and everything.

It's the hack by Kramendorf, and it's excellent. He's even got an awesome Mulletdorf/Young Ganondorf to boot. Plus, a Triforce emblem that appears on his hand during his Final Smash. What's not to love? MewTwo2000 did a really nice collab on one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom