• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Physical or Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Physical. Who knows how big this game is going to be. Same for Wii U.

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony
I'm probably gonna be that guy to by both physical and digital. Its a must have in my collection of games however it won't be the only game I'd be playing on the go (most likely gonna still be playing pokemon or Kid Icarus Uprising). Sure its a lot of money invested but I guess I'm just hardcore like that.

And for the guys saying that you'd lose your 3DS digital games if its broken or stolen, you guys must of not heard or contacted nintendo customer service recently. You can actually recover your games if 3DS is broken, stolen or just getting a new 3DS system. Just make sure your eShop account is link to club nintendo to verify your purchases. Only downside of that is that you'd lose SAVED data.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm going full-on digital. I lose games all too easily, so if I download it to my 3DS, I can't lose it, and it'll be on my 3DS at all times. Might do the same with the Wii U version. I dunno.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
For 3ds games I always roll digital. I want all my games with me at all times. Wii U isn't portable so I go physical there.. and dat low disk space

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Going physical for both Wii U and 3DS. I like having the boxes. Plus, it keeps them safe from a broken console.

Riku_88

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kayre8
I can't imagine they'd do this for Super Smash, but what if Nintendo offered the digital version some X number of days before the physical version, much like they did with Wind Waker HD? Would that extra time entice you to buy the digital version instead, or would it just aggravate you?

3DSRed

Smash Rookie
If I manage to get a bigger SD card, I'll probaably go digital, because my parent's won't get two of the same game card and I want to have a separate copy from my brother. As of now, Pokemon Y is taking up a lot of my sd card space.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Most definitely a physical copy for me. There's just something about digging up a copy of a game from my collection years later and popping the cartridge into my handheld.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I'm moving countries so I have no choice. Digital. Stupid region-lock.

However with Nintendo's recent upgrade (now games are on ACCOUNTS which means you can put them on your other 3DSs) I don't have nearly as much of a problem with digital and I don't think you guys should either.

It's becoming more and more like STEAM. Soon I don't think there will be any drawbacks to digital versions of Nintendo games if they can get EVERYTHING account wide including save files.

Last edited:

GiantBoyDetective

Smash Cadet
Since nearly every 3DS game can now be bought either as a cartridge or as a download for your 3DS' SD card, I'm curious. Which version do you guys plan on getting, and why? Personally, I will be getting the physical copy because I don't have very fast internet speed, and don't want to wait for five hours just to download the game.
I'm gonna go for both so I can play with my wife. Download on my XL and snag a physical copy for her. That way I can keep the box on my shelf, as I am a collector. Woot woot doubling up.

Last edited:

bicth

Smash Cadet
digital, because it'll last longer and can't get stolen or lost. I will also have it no matter where I go.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
With the new system if your 3DS is stolen you can always put your game on a new 3DS unless the whole account is stolen.

WinterKirby

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1947 5087 1303
Digital, most definitely. It'd be a shame if I were to go to a tournament only to realize that I brought Pokemon X with me instead.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Physical cause I'm scared that w/the lack of purchases tied to accounts that something bad will happen to my 3DS and I'll lose my game and $40 :(

Plus the smell of opening a new game box :denzel:

lami

Smash Journeyman
Usually I'd go for a digital copy, but I'm really feeling a midnight Walmart trip for this one.

JoseTacoDizzle

Smash Rookie
NNID
JoseTacoDizzle
3DS FC
0834-1668-9197
gonna get the physical I like having the box and it makes my collection look bigger lol

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Digital - to accentuate this game being one of the many "portable" choices to sit in my 3DS along with New Leaf. Can't wait for so BTW.

VictoriaYr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-6451-1789
For 3DS, I think I will have a tough choice. I almost always buy digital so I can have my entire library on the go. I'll see how things go... might end up buying a physical copy though. For Wii U undoubtedly I'll be getting a physical copy.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Purchases are tied to accounts. You can redownload for free.
Last I heard they were still tied to the system. You can redownload games on to your 3DS/Wii U if they were bought on that 3DS/Wii U but if you get a new system you're SOL

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Not enough memory for a digital game (i'm also not deleting stuff) and i prefer getting physical copies of games.

Last edited:

Blaziken

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4038-6625-0560
Probably digital, since I'm most likely not going to be able to get the game physically for a month after the game comes out.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
For one thing, I don't think I have enough space. But in my opinion it's good to have a physical copy in case something happens to the 3DS itself.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Digital, for several reasons.

1) Faster (japanese 3DS so takes time to ship for me)
2) Cheaper (because shipping)
3) More convenient (no need to keep track of cartridges and the like, I got it all with me at all times)

I don't have room for physical copies in any case, lol.

R0Y

Smash Master
Yeah, the manuals for 3DS games are just a piece of paper with some art now. I can see why somebody would want the box though. There's just something satisfying about holding the box and seeing the artwork in real 3D...
Not anymore. As someone who buys physical, every Nintendo game I've seen released post-Pikmin 3 (which actually had a tiny stapled manual here in North America) has had a single ,small black & white sheet of paper that shows you how to access the digital manual. On the inside are some warnings etc. in English/French/Spanish.

Here's the taller Wii U version:

DO NOT expect a physical manual, at most there would be the colour poster like Fire Emblem: Awakening or most other 3DS titles. Nintendo has basically completely phased physical manuals out....which doesn't bother me too much, I'm okay with them cutting costs (the other reason is to not encourage us to buy physical) by using only digital manuals. Not a battle worth fighting, as long as I have my case, CN code, and card or disc

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Worse. As someone who buys physical, every Nintendo game I've seen released post-Pikmin 3 (which actually had a tiny stapled manual here in North America) has had a single 1-sided, small black sheet of paper that shows you how to access the digital manual.

Here's the taller Wii U version, ignore the extra side space that takes up the majority of this image, whoever scanned this didn't remove that from the image.

DO NOT expect a physical manual, at most there would be the colour poster like Fire Emblem: Awakening or most other 3DS titles. Nintendo has basically completely phased physical manuals out.
Still better than PSVita cases because most of them don't have anything at all in the cases.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Oh man, does anyone still have the Melee manual? I used to take that thing to school and just read it all day lol

R0Y

Smash Master
Still better than PSVita cases because most of them don't have anything at all in the cases.
Virtually all new PlayStation 3 or 4 games as well. If anything they have a week or so code for PS+ (which then takes the next month out of your credit card if you forget to cancel a day ahead of time.) Xbox 360/One the same idea.

Absolutely, like I said it's not a battle worth fighting or complaining about. It was something that was going to go. Soon that small sheet on how to access the digital manual will probably be gone too because everyone will have it figured out how to access.

...and if they haven't they can just google it.

Oh man, does anyone still have the Melee manual? I used to take that thing to school and just read it all day lol
Oh yeah, the Melee and Brawl manuals were excellent! Shame most people threw out the 64 manual and box.

The digital manuals can actually be quite pretty now too though. http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-slowly-reinventing-the-video-game-instructi-1515814941

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom