• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Physical or Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
Since nearly every 3DS game can now be bought either as a cartridge or as a download for your 3DS' SD card, I'm curious. Which version do you guys plan on getting, and why? Personally, I will be getting the physical copy because I don't have very fast internet speed, and don't want to wait for five hours just to download the game.
Please *****, I'll be able to run to the store and back like ten times before your day one digital DL even gets to 50%

Lackt

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1306-5822-2976
That new game smell tho. Although I'd have to watch out for the cartridge popping out mid-game when I throw it in my bag when I go out.

MilkDS_81

Smash Rookie
Physical all the way, that way I will be able to see and hold my entire smash collection

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Digital at day 1, 00:00, just for hype .... buy phisical after.
I never trashed money like this, but I think this time I can't run away this situation.
Maybe I buy phisical only when it gets in play-asia Weekly Special.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I'll be going for physical, I barely ever get digital copies mainly because I like keeping cases. I hope my fellow gamestop has a midnight release because I'd totally go! :088:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
It sounds like a lot of people think you can't re-download digital games, but I know at least one person who has successfully transferred their account to a new 3DS and was able to re-download their games. It's a hassle for sure, but possible.

I'd go digital, because I already own a large number of 3DS carts that have never been played. If they were downloaded and I could switch between them more easily, I'm sure I would get to play them all. There's a part of me that knows the physical carts will hold collector's value one day (I actually have two copies of Shin Megami Tensei IV, one still sealed in the collector's edition box), but considering the mileage I expect to put into Smash I'd rather just have it with me at all times.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Pre-Ordering both AS SOON AS ITS POSSIBLE. I will have them on time.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I have a 3DS case that I use to hold all my games so bringing multiple cartridges with me on the go is never a problem... Physical for me.

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
Physical version for three reasons.
It will take days to download the digital version on my terrible internet connection.
It will be too big for my SD card.
It's satisfying to have the physical version with the box and manual.

katastrophic

Smash Cadet
NNID
katastrophic
3DS FC
3308-4726-7643
Yeah, the manuals for 3DS games are just a piece of paper with some art now. I can see why somebody would want the box though. There's just something satisfying about holding the box and seeing the artwork in real 3D...

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
physical. mare satisfying. downloading it successfully is like "meh" but finally holding in ur hands is more like "MEH!"

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
I'll probably just download it as soon as possible. I remember waiting in line a long time for my copy of Brawl, even though it was reserved. I'm not a patient person, so digital sounds very nice. I downloaded Pokemon X on crappy hotel internet as soon as it was available, and that wasn't so bad, so I can handle downloading smash at home.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I'll probably just download it as soon as possible. I remember waiting in line a long time for my copy of Brawl, even though it was reserved. I'm not a patient person, so digital sounds very nice. I downloaded Pokemon X on crappy hotel internet as soon as it was available, and that wasn't so bad, so I can handle downloading smash at home.
I was thinking of doing something similar, but with the Wii U version. For 3DS, I still prefer physical, but I may have to hole up in a hotel for a while to abuse their Wifi for the Wii U version.

Droß

Smash Apprentice
Physical. Less reads and writes to the system SD card prolongs its life, allowing me to use it for save data and other misc purposes for longer. I also don't lose the game in the event my SD card dies for whatever reason.

secretcode

Smash Cadet
NNID
Secretcod
3DS FC
2337-3743-8226
Always physical. There's still something special about physical merchandise for me, and I can't explain it.

Morbi

Scavenger
I will certainly purchase the physical copy; the digital product is mostly a rental that you get to enjoy for an undetermined amount of time. The physical copy is definitively your property; there are some weird laws regarding digital content. I doubt anything detrimental would happen, but better safe than sorry. It isn't set up in a reliable way in my opinion.

Also, as many others have stated; with my internet, it is more convenient to just pick up the game.

afistfulofwasabi

Smash Rookie
Im not sure tbh. Most likely ill be getting the physical game but a digital copy as a backup just in case wouldn't hurt.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Physical. Always physical. Nothing like having a copy of an awesome game that you can hold in your hands and feel awesome about. Plus it's safer overall.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I'm going digital. I love being able to have Animal Crossing available to play without having to get up and find my game. And, my brother has been misplacing his games lately, so Im starting to see the positive effects of going digital.

SuperSah

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSah
3DS FC
4425-2273-6142
I wanted to go digital for Smash, but thanks to an Amazon promo, I can get the physical cart for £26 rather than the £39.99 download.

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
I would go for physical if my Fire Emblem cartridge wasn't already stuck forever in my 3DS :D
All my others games are digital and I got a big memory card so... Digital for me !

Hana Na Tahou

Smash Apprentice
There's something about having the box and the actual cart for me. Also it would look magical on my shelf~

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Physical. I would do Digital but Senran Kagura Burst took a **** ton of my SD cards GB. Plus, Just looking at the case and holding it juust feels so great.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I'm going physical, mainly because Animal Crossing ate up a ton of SD card space on my 3DS, and I honestly can't see myself taking that card out of the system anytime soon after buying it. Plus the boxart! I'm hoping the 3DS and Wii U cover artwork will have some neat changes exclusive to the systems. Even just things like having the 3DS artwork have the more cell-shaded aesthetics while the console version having the more realistic style would be a neat enough change to make buying the physical copies all the more worthwhile!

Reader

Smash Apprentice
I'm not 100% percent sure if I will get the 3DS version, but if I will, I will most likely buy physical copy. I hope that Nintendo can handle the digital release of smash bros; the tears will be delicious if they will pull out "Pokebank" again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom