• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Physical or Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Since nearly every 3DS game can now be bought either as a cartridge or as a download for your 3DS' SD card, I'm curious. Which version do you guys plan on getting, and why? Personally, I will be getting the physical copy because I don't have very fast internet speed, and don't want to wait for five hours just to download the game.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Probably digital, so I can always have Smash with me in case I find someone else who wants to play.

Khao

Smash Lord
I refuse to buy digital copies of retail games until Nintendo sets up a proper account system, or at least offers digital games at a reduced price.

Plus, I like physical games anyway, makes my collection feel more worthwhile.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
I refuse to buy digital copies of retail games until Nintendo sets up a proper account system, or at least offers digital games at a reduced price.

Plus, I like physical games anyway, makes my collection feel more worthwhile.
Your "at least" option is the one that won't ever happen.

As for me, physical if I get the 3DS version too, just the way I am, but to each their own.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Gotta go physical. I'll be doing the same for the Wii U version too. It wouldn't be the same if I didn't. Heck, I plan to buy an actual cart of the original Smash one day, as I don't own one.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Physical. I already have Pokemon Y on my 3DS XL SD card and I want to add SSB4 3DS to my 3DS collection.

CoolPalMitch

Smash Cadet
NNID
mitchgamelover
In this age, I generally get games digitally for the sake of convenience and being guaranteed a copy as soon as it comes out. But for certain games, I just can't not get the physical version. Smash 3DS is going to be one of those games. Although I'm going to get the 3DS Version after the Wii U Version.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Well, the always having it with me is a little enticing. Or it would be if I actually had more than one 3DS game I still play regularly. The only thing I still play much is Pokémon X, which is getting boring for me since all I have left to do is fill out the pokédex. The only games I have digitally are a few Zelda games on Virtual Console, which take all of like, 3 MB or so, and once you beat a Zelda game once, you typically don't touch it for quite some time after that.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning more to physical right now.

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
Digital, way more convenient. Plus, I love that new finished downloading smell.

Last edited:

katastrophic

Smash Cadet
NNID
katastrophic
3DS FC
3308-4726-7643
I'll get it digitally if I can't find a physical copy (i'm too lazy to preorder), or just can't bother to leave my house

The actual physical medium will hold its value better as time goes on I believe. I mean what happens if the device you are using breaks and Nintendo no longer allows for download of the 3DS game? Say 10 years from now you would probably be able to get a 3DS replacement, but not your digital copy. Plus, if I recall digital copies are restricted to only a single 3DS. While you could replace your 3DS if need be or have a friend burrow your copy.

p4nd4p4nd4p4nd4p4nd4

Smash Cadet
NNID
le-harlz
3DS FC
4227-0851-7533
Since I plan on going to the midnight release for the obligatory in game release night tournament, why not get it as a physical copy? I can see the convenience of a digital copy, but I don't have a credit card to get that stuff with yet.

R0Y

Smash Master
Since I plan on going to the midnight release for the obligatory in game release night tournament, why not get it as a physical copy? I can see the convenience of a digital copy, but I don't have a credit card to get that stuff with yet.
Midnight release is unlikely.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I would definitely get a phyisical copy if there was a midnight release

ecylisis

Smash Apprentice
Physical, unless it's like Steam or something where games can be on sale for so much cheaper, there is no reason for me to ever buy a game digitally.

R0Y

Smash Master
Considering the hype levels for this, I would say a midnight release is a reasonable prediction.
On the eShop.

Especially if the two versions release at different times it's unlikely, low install bases. As of now we're looking at about 6 million Wii U's worldwide and 40 million 3DS'. The insanely popular Pokemon X and Y getting a midnight launch at Gamestop/EB Games should not be taken as an indicator for Smash.

Mario Kart 8 probably won't have a midnight release either, and that'll sell very close and possibly much more than Smash on Wii U (it's tough to say with the core being the majority of users again, the same core than bought more copies of Melee than Double Dash, though Melee preceded that Kart instalment by nearly 2 years)

Last edited:

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Why wouldn't there be a midnight release? How different is the world in that aspect from 2008? Brawl mightnight release hype was very real. :O

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Why start a debate? We sure don't want this to get physical.

Aside from the joke, both sides have their benefits. Digital downloads of games reduce clutter and remove the hassle of going out to a store to buy the game, but if your 3DS breaks you would loose all of your digitally downloaded games. I will probably be purchasing a physical copy of Smash 4 because I might want to share my games with friends after I'm done playing them for awhile (I'm looking at you Microsoft).

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Physical, always Physical when possible!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I prefer to have the Physical copy of a game over digital. Not to say Digital is bad though. Just that I prefer an actual copy of the game. And you can still keep the physical game even if you change systems or lose a console.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
Physical, I want to add it to my game collection.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I've decided I'm going with digital for many, many months now (Wii U version I'm still deciding). Unlike the console version of Smash games, I severely doubt I'll share my copy of the 3DS game with someone (just like I let NO ONE touch my Pokémon games) and I want to have it ready to be playable at all times while being able to having another game in the card slot. Plus it'll give me a reason to spend my current eShop balance of $140.84 (Thank you Best Buy!)

Super Fox

Smash Rookie
NNID
zeldafanboy8
Ill either buy it physical, or give it its own 8 gig SD card on digital

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Physical so I can run out of the store with the 3DS version in one hand and the Wii U version in the other and whoop with joy.
Also my internet's pretty crap here so I'd rather a 10 minute drive than waiting hours to download. Unless there's a midnight release which in case I'll wait in line for hours.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Physical so I can run out of the store with the 3DS version in one hand and the Wii U version in the other and whoop with joy.
Also my internet's pretty crap here so I'd rather a 10 minute drive than waiting hours to download. Unless there's a midnight release which in case I'll wait in line for hours.
Same here.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Wii U version will be physical, 3DS version will be digital.

Yes I am buying both.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably go with the physical version. Thanks to the Club Nintendo 3DS game case, it's easy to travel around with multiple cartridges.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am definitely getting the physical copy. This way, if my 3DS breaks, I can just buy another 3DS and not worry about the save data that was lost in my old 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom