• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Physical or Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Digital. I already have too much memory available on my 3DS, and I already have all the money to buy the full game on the eShop. It'll be on my 3DS all the time, and I won't have to carry all my games in the world with me everywhere.

Plus I can start downloading 3 hours prior to midnight, where I'm at.

Plus, I love that new finished downloading smell.

Last edited:
Since nearly every 3DS game can now be bought either as a cartridge or as a download for your 3DS' SD card, I'm curious. Which version do you guys plan on getting, and why? Personally, I will be getting the physical copy because I don't have very fast internet speed, and don't want to wait for five hours just to download the game.
Physical copy. I own a physical copy of every Smash game, so it's certainly getting added to my collection. Nevertheless, I prefer physical copies over digital ones for two reasons. One being collectors value, and two that i don't want to risk losing the game through some type of 3DS malfunction.

Last edited:

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure, I kinda wanna download it at midnight so I get it early + Dont have to carry the other games with me
Physical has the epic box art and you can touch it.... and collectors value of course!
Which one should I choose

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Just because there's no game store close from me, I'm going for digital but I'm worried about if I would be able to download it without breaking my father's credit card (wanted to buy pokemon x digital, server overload and for security reason the credit card info was deleated have to wait for the next morning to finally get it.) So, you might need to reenter your credit card really imagine how the server will get overloaded it will be crazy.

R0Y

Smash Master
Just because there's no game store close from me, I'm going for digital but I'm worried about if I would be able to download it without breaking my father's credit card (wanted to buy pokemon x digital, server overload and for security reason the credit card info was deleated have to wait for the next morning to finally get it.) So, you might need to reenter your credit card really imagine how the server will get overloaded it will be crazy.
Server overload might happen but your credit card is safe with Nintendo if it's safe with any large company. Sounds like a freak accident. If you're concerned about it, make the drive, physical is safer anyway.

Last edited:

Nearreaver

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nearreaver
3DS FC
1693-1796-3134
Physical, that game case and cover art would be sweet!

Touma

Smash Rookie
Probably digital for 3DS because I always have Pokemon in the card slot.

I'll get the Wii U version physical though, I absolutely don't see a reason to go digital for that, since I obviously don't take my Wii U with me everywhere I go. (Plus a can hold it. :3 )

TheMiddleVeen

Smash Cadet
Always will be a fan of physical, nothing better then ripping the plastic off of that brand new game!

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
For games I really care about, I always want a physical copy. It's just so much nicer IMO. Also, as mentioned above, you can still use it if you buy a new system.

D

Deleted member 245254

Yeah I have to fill all my shelves with work files and the rest of the space that exists is filled with all of my wife's crap. No room for game boxes.

Though the most limiting factor however is that I live in Japan and use a NTSC Wii U (for 1080p), so unless I'm down to wait for 2 weeks or longer without paying absurd money for an express international/import shipment to play smash, I'll be downloading it.

#regionlocks

Last edited by a moderator:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Yeah I have to fill all my shelves with work files and the rest of the space that exists is filled with all of my wife's crap. No room for game boxes.

Though the most limiting factor however is that I live in Japan and use a NTSC Wii U (for 1080p), so unless I'm down to wait for 2 weeks or longer without paying absurd money for an express international/import shipment to play smash, I'll be downloading it.

#regionlocks
Do Japanese Wii U's not have 1080p?

Smash Rookie
Digital all the way. I only buy 1 or 2 cartridges, So that way I have the maximum amount of games at any given time. On my old DS Lite, I constantly loss games. I don't see myself every selling games either. It's reassuring to know that if I misplace my console, I can always re download said games too.

On a side note, any estimates on the size of the download? I'm thinking 6,000 -12,000 Blocks? (I'm gonna need a bigger SD cards :c)

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Digital all the way. I only buy 1 or 2 cartridges, So that way I have the maximum amount of games at any given time. On my old DS Lite, I constantly loss games. I don't see myself every selling games either. It's reassuring to know that if I misplace my console, I can always re download said games too.

On a side note, any estimates on the size of the download? I'm thinking 6,000 -12,000 Blocks? (I'm gonna need a bigger SD cards :c)
My thought is anywhere from 6-8GB for the 3DS version, while the Wii U version will be at LEAST 8GB.

Randoman

Smash Cadet
Well, I decided to create a pro-con list for both versions, i'll be going with the physical version.

Physical Version
Pros
1. You own a physical cartridge of the game, even though the physical & digital copies are going to be the same price, the physical copy will be a bit more valuable.
2. You don't have to worry about ever losing the game due to some sort of 3DS malfunction.

Cons
1. The cartridge could get lost, damaged, or even broken.
(the only con I could come up with)

Digital version
Pros
1. Slightly less risk of losing your game, it's just a matter of how responsible you are.
2. The game will be easily accessible, requiring little effort to find, and play.

Cons
1. The digital copy could get lost through some sort of 3DS malfunction, formatting, ect
2. Though the physical and digital copy will be the same price, it's hypothetically less valuable.

D

Deleted member 245254

Well, I decided to create a pro-con list for both versions, i'll be going with the physical version.

Physical Version
Pros
1. You own a physical cartridge of the game, even though the physical & digital copies are going to be the same price, the physical copy will be a bit more valuable.
2. You don't have to worry about ever losing the game due to some sort of 3DS malfunction.

Cons
1. The cartridge could get lost, damaged, or even broken.
(the only con I could come up with)

Digital version
Pros
1. Slightly less risk of losing your game, it's just a matter of how responsible you are.
2. The game will be easily accessible, requiring little effort to find, and play.

Cons
1. The digital copy could get lost through some sort of 3DS malfunction, formatting, ect
2. Though the physical and digital copy will be the same price, it's hypothetically less valuable.
You forgot the con for physical that drives MOST digital sales : you don't have to leave home to get it.

This comes with a variety of benefits aside from being able to be lazy. Remember what happened when Fire Emblem Awakening and similarly MH3U released for the USA? Games were almost impossible to find if you didn't get a reserve in for 1-2 weeks depending on where you live. It coerced many in to getting the digital versions.

Trust me I remember the massive whinge over that.

You cited not losing the game as a con for digital after citing it as a pro for physical, so it seems only fair you balance the other digital pros to physicals' cons as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Physical. I'd rather drool all over the case than the 3DS screen as it's downloading.

Last edited:

RafalRib

Smash Cadet
NNID
RafalRib
3DS FC
4184-2119-2641
Of course i will go with the physical copy. Imagine if the console breaks i cannot play it anymore and need to buy it again!

D

Deleted member 245254

Of course i will go with the physical copy. Imagine if the console breaks i cannot play it anymore and need to buy it again!
You can redownload purchased e-shop content free of charge, obviously...

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I always go physical if possible. The only digital games I own on any system, that is also retail, is because I got them for free or because they were under $10.

As much as I want SSB with me at all times, I hold more value in having a physical copy.

I also want to be able to display the box with SSB64, Melee & Brawl. Certain games, I want to be able to just have all of them lined up together one day on a shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom