• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Phrygia's Notebook - Lucas Matchup Discussion

The_Devious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
The_devious97
him holding an arrow out is basically giving you a free approach. jump in the air and float towards him. if he still doesnt shoot, hit him with a nair. if you're too far away to reach him, PKT1.
Do I launch myself into him with PKT or do I just hit while I float in the air?

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
While you float in the air - but you can't overuse it, and only while he's charging an arrow and you're far enough away, otherwise he might dash attack you.

ToastCunfirmed

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToastFTW
3DS FC
3282-4434-9890
Hey guys I've been struggling against Fox. He combos Lucas pretty easily with Jabs, He can kill us swiftly if we whiff a grab and U can't break out of his combos easily because Lucas doesn't really have a combo breaker like Ness.

Also I wanted to say I wanna try to be more active on the boards so hey!

EclipseSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheHeroOfHylia
3DS FC
5043-3010-8901
Hey guys I've been struggling against Fox. He combos Lucas pretty easily with Jabs, He can kill us swiftly if we whiff a grab and U can't break out of his combos easily because Lucas doesn't really have a combo breaker like Ness.
Well first of all, if you notice you are getting punished a lot for whiffed grabs, try to tone down the frequency of your grabs a little, this also goes for some other characters like Yoshi and maybe slightly less so the other top tiers, really. Also, even though this is already a bit of a unspoken rule against any character as Lucas, I can not press this enough; don't use PK Fire when anyone who can punish you - especially a top/high tier - is close to you.

Secondly, if you DI like a silly goose you can try to mess up Fox's combo's.... relatively easily and then perhaps even punish him (depending on what move he used). You could also try to condition him into going for the same thing over and over again but don't take it too far.

Last edited:

Yoh1

Smash Rookie
Yeah i think ROB is one of the harder matchups for lucas. I feel like characters that can outzone lucas in general are tough to beat. Especially if they have disjoints. Hard to safely get in, and its sometimes hard to react to the projectiles quick enough.

Last edited:

ToastCunfirmed

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToastFTW
3DS FC
3282-4434-9890
Well first of all, if you notice you are getting punished a lot for whiffed grabs, try to tone down the frequency of your grabs a little, this also goes for some other characters like Yoshi and maybe slightly less so the other top tiers, really. Also, even though this is already a bit of a unspoken rule against any character as Lucas, I can not press this enough; don't use PK Fire when anyone who can punish you - especially a top/high tier - is close to you.

Secondly, if you DI like a silly goose you can try to mess up Fox's combo's.... relatively easily and then perhaps even punish him (depending on what move he used). You could also try to condition him into going for the same thing over and over again but don't take it too far.
I can usually DI his combos and I don't do as much grabbing against Fox (or anyone for that matter cause of how laggy Lucas' grab is) but I'm saying is the Jabs can be troublesome and if I miss a grab at high percents I'm probably gonna die.

KnightofPizza

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LergiOfficial
I can usually DI his combos and I don't do as much grabbing against Fox (or anyone for that matter cause of how laggy Lucas' grab is) but I'm saying is the Jabs can be troublesome and if I miss a grab at high percents I'm probably gonna die.
I'd advise you not to grab at high percents unless it's guaranteed and he's in endlag, or if you're predicting an Illusion's landing. Lucas's grab is very risk/reward, as if you miss it, you may have to pay with your stock, so it's good that you use them sparingly. Lucas still has a hard time killing Fox due to the enormous lag on his USmash and DSmash, and his FSmash takes good timing. I'd say aerials are overall your best chance at killing Fox, not counting hard reads.

Yoh1

Smash Rookie
What do you do against sonic? i feel like that match up is really really bad. he has so much speed and mobility that he can get in and punish really easily. pk fire is hard to hit him with cause he's so fast and he can just shield it a lot of the time. plus lucas doesnt have many safe options against shield. how are you supposed to beat him? :/

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What do you do against sonic? i feel like that match up is really really bad. he has so much speed and mobility that he can get in and punish really easily. pk fire is hard to hit him with cause he's so fast and he can just shield it a lot of the time. plus lucas doesnt have many safe options against shield. how are you supposed to beat him? :/
Use lots of zair, but otherwise try not to be the first one to make a move. Walk up slowly to him, and try to punish when he does
the approaching.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Alright so the :4lucas: VS. :4link: match up

We struggle at long range of course, sure we have our F Smash reflector but that isn't enough
However once we get it, we win close range thanks to our Frame 2 Jab1, Frame 3 Down Tilt and Frame 4 Up Tilt and I believe Link's fastest move in the ground is his Frame 7 Jab I think?
Anyways if we know his recovery pattern we can kill him offstage easily.
I believe we can stop his Boomerang with our Zair so that's good
but we need to be careful of Link's powerful disjoints, as we don't have that much range
Also he can't land with Down Air as we can do this

KnightofPizza

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LergiOfficial
Alright so the :4lucas: VS. :4link: match up

We struggle at long range of course, sure we have our F Smash reflector but that isn't enough
However once we get it, we win close range thanks to our Frame 2 Jab1, Frame 3 Down Tilt and Frame 4 Up Tilt and I believe Link's fastest move in the ground is his Frame 7 Jab I think?
Anyways if we know his recovery pattern we can kill him offstage easily.
I believe we can stop his Boomerang with our Zair so that's good
but we need to be careful of Link's powerful disjoints, as we don't have that much range
Also he can't land with Down Air as we can do this
You can stop arrows with Zair too, so approaching shouldn't be too difficult.

Yoh1

Smash Rookie
Yeah it's not working. Sonic is just extremely terrible to fight with lucas

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
in my experience, Lucas' worst matchups are the following

Fox
Rosalina
Villager
Sonic
Sheik ( @ meleebrawler meleebrawler )

These imo, are Lucas' easiest ones.

Ness ( Can gimp easily, just bthrow at 20%, give him a weak fair then absorb his pk thunder. Lucas also has a better neutral and punish options in this MU.)
Olimar ( Can just spam PK Fire all day, and bat the pikmin. Completely craps on Olimar's agenda.)
Little Mac ( Super easy gimps.)
Samus ( Can absorb one of her kill moves, Lucas' frame data is so better that even if you're forced to approach which is unlikely, he can still beat her.)
Game & Watch ( G&W is a tricky one, but he's just very easy to kill.)

I think Lucas has a so-so MU against Pac Man.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
in my experience, Lucas' worst matchups are the following

Fox
Rosalina
Villager
Sonic

These imo, are Lucas' easiest ones.

Ness ( Can gimp easily, just bthrow at 20%, give him a weak fair then absorb his pk thunder. Lucas also has a better neutral and punish options in this MU.)
Olimar ( Can just spam PK Fire all day, and bat the pikmin. Completely craps on Olimar's agenda.)
Little Mac ( Super easy gimps.)
Samus ( Can absorb one of her kill moves, Lucas' frame data is so better that even if you're forced to approach which is unlikely, he can still beat her.)
Game & Watch ( G&W is a tricky one, but he's just very easy to kill.)

I think Lucas has a so-so MU against Pac Man.
I'd put Sheik in his worst matchups since needles just kind of destroy his anti-camp game and the lack of good punish opportunities.

I can't imagine you've played very good Nesses. You can't just say a throw wins the matchup with Lucas's grab and even then
your gimp method hinges on hoping Ness's jump gets sniped, but good players know to conserve it as well as possible. Besides, Ness can theoretically do the same thing. More even since they both have some things over each other but nothing that significantly puts one over the top. Lucas has better zoning with snake, a better reflector and can absorb PK Thunder fairly easily for some good healing, Ness has better footsies with his aerials coupled with a better grab.

Olimar: What about the red Pikmin? Also white pikmin are too quick to be batted reliably. Lucas definitely has the tools to make things more difficult for Olimar, but purple throws can still be problematic in footsies.

Little Mac: Gimping Mac easily is hardly an achievement. Thing is Mac onstage is just so fast it's really hard to zone him,
and you do NOT want to miss a grab against him. Not to mention the armour in his smashes. A well-placed magnet can really ruin
his day, but it won't be easy to time.

SPoitter

I'd put Sheik in his worst matchups since needles just kind of destroy his anti-camp game and the lack of good punish opportunities.

I can't imagine you've played very good Nesses. You can't just say a throw wins the matchup with Lucas's grab and even then
your gimp method hinges on hoping Ness's jump gets sniped, but good players know to conserve it as well as possible. Besides, Ness can theoretically do the same thing. More even since they both have some things over each other but nothing that significantly puts one over the top. Lucas has better zoning with snake, a better reflector and can absorb PK Thunder fairly easily for some good healing, Ness has better footsies with his aerials coupled with a better grab.

Olimar: What about the red Pikmin? Also white pikmin are too quick to be batted reliably. Lucas definitely has the tools to make things more difficult for Olimar, but purple throws can still be problematic in footsies.

Little Mac: Gimping Mac easily is hardly an achievement. Thing is Mac onstage is just so fast it's really hard to zone him,
and you do NOT want to miss a grab against him. Not to mention the armour in his smashes. A well-placed magnet can really ruin
his day, but it won't be easy to time.
okay

i do play good Ness', I've beaten FOW before, Ness does not have a better grab he has better throws, but not a better grab, any quick advances can be quickly stopped by just a standing grab from Lucas because of the much better range, this means Ness has to setup for a grab, PK Fire's out of the question because of Lucas' good projectile options, and he can't waste a jump trying to edgeguard because his up B will be instantly absorbed by you. Also, don't play footsies, Lucas' footsies is terrible and is only used when the opponent approaches, something that can be shut down by pk fire and snake, idk man.

I main Olimar, the red pikmin don't really matter, although they can't die to pk fire, you usually only see Reds being thrown if Olimar has a bad group like Yellow Purple and Blue, or Red White and Blue (lol), but yeah, also, white pikmin are the easiest to bat because there's no timing, as soon as he throws it you can bat it, the reflect hitbox of the stick is near instant.

Little Mac: Little Mac is the easiest for me because his ground game is amazingly good yes, but you forget to take in account that Little Mac can literally not miss any attacks because of Lucas' grab. Any tilts or smashes can be easily countered by a shieldgrab, especially if you've mastered perfect shielding.

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
okay

i do play good Ness', I've beaten FOW before,
Overlooking your actual skill level as it doesn't matter and i don't care, im not here to criticise or argue that...anyone can beat anyone once. Ive lost a single match to people i was way better than and im sure fow has too on rare occassion. Trying to gain respect with a statement like that does quite the opposite.

Personally im pretty confused by the entirety of your post, i hope im not coming across as a **** about it as its not my intent. Lucas has a way better upthrow as its a kill move but ness has better throws AND grab than lucas. Range doesn't count for much when you need a good read to get it and a missed grab results in potentially a stock or at least a free punish. Lucas actually has bad range for a tether grab.

any quick advances can be quickly stopped by just a standing grab from Lucas because of the much better range
I don't even know how to tackle this one.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
okay

i do play good Ness', I've beaten FOW before, Ness does not have a better grab he has better throws, but not a better grab, any quick advances can be quickly stopped by just a standing grab from Lucas because of the much better range, this means Ness has to setup for a grab, PK Fire's out of the question because of Lucas' good projectile options, and he can't waste a jump trying to edgeguard because his up B will be instantly absorbed by you. Also, don't play footsies, Lucas' footsies is terrible and is only used when the opponent approaches, something that can be shut down by pk fire and snake, idk man.

I main Olimar, the red pikmin don't really matter, although they can't die to pk fire, you usually only see Reds being thrown if Olimar has a bad group like Yellow Purple and Blue, or Red White and Blue (lol), but yeah, also, white pikmin are the easiest to bat because there's no timing, as soon as he throws it you can bat it, the reflect hitbox of the stick is near instant.

Little Mac: Little Mac is the easiest for me because his ground game is amazingly good yes, but you forget to take in account that Little Mac can literally not miss any attacks because of Lucas' grab. Any tilts or smashes can be easily countered by a shieldgrab, especially if you've mastered perfect shielding.
Well gee, if you're that good at powershielding then almost everyone must be really easy. But Little Mac can poke your shield
pretty easily with dtilt, and many of Mac's moves are just too fast to be powershielded consistently. The only moves that truly leave Mac open for a punish outside of that is jab finisher, badly spaced ftilt, whiffed usmash and dash attack. Good Little Macs are patient and will only walk and poke safely until they see an opening. Like a missed grab.

Also Ness will almost never approach Lucas in such a way that can be stopped by a grab. It's 90% spaced aerials
with the odd dash attack or grab once you're too conditioned to shield.

SPoitter

Well gee, if you're that good at powershielding then almost everyone must be really easy. But Little Mac can poke your shield
pretty easily with dtilt, and many of Mac's moves are just too fast to be powershielded consistently. The only moves that truly leave Mac open for a punish outside of that is jab finisher, badly spaced ftilt, whiffed usmash and dash attack. Good Little Macs are patient and will only walk and poke safely until they see an opening. Like a missed grab.

Also Ness will almost never approach Lucas in such a way that can be stopped by a grab. It's 90% spaced aerials
with the odd dash attack or grab once you're too conditioned to shield.
i assumed everyone was good at powershielding because, it's kind of easy ;-;

but still, i don't really fight many Ness' as Lucas' so this is mostly based off matches against FOW and a friend.
I still don't see how Little Mac can poke shield so good though, he'd have to hit with the tip of dtilt which would be super precise spacing. I'm really not sure man. And his fsmash can be shield grabbed easily.
Oh also, Little Mac can break your shield pretty easily, so I kind of lost incentive to put it as one of his easiest matchups, but, I still find it really easy.

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
I believe Lucas has higher advantages off-stage over people like Duck Hunt and ROB because of their recovery. They don't have any attack basis to them and I land several back/down airs on them with ease. The biggest issue is if they're moving around too much to land a successful hit.

Last edited:

W1m0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheHylianHero123
I believe Lucas has higher advantages off-stage over people like Duck Hunt and ROB because of their recovery. The don't have any attack basis to them and I land several back/down airs on them with ease. The biggest issue is if they're moving around too much to land a successful hit.
How am I supposed to get them off stage if I can't get through the projectiles?

KnightofPizza

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LergiOfficial
How am I supposed to get them off stage if I can't get through the projectiles?
With Duck Hunt, you can always Zair the clay pigeons and avoid the cans/gunmen easily. With ROB, you can try to jump over his stuff because he can't get his projectiles in the air very easily unless he's holding a Gyro.

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Grab the Gyro in the ROB MU. It will force him to approach because he can't laser.

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Okay, I think we have enough time to look at our boy from nowhere, and this is how i feel about MUs I have experienced.

Sheik: -2
Rosalina: 0
Luigi: -1 to 0(Don't have a good grasp on this either, but have fought Luigis)
Pikachu: -1
Diddy Kong: Have not fought one with Lucas.
Zero Suit Samus: Have not fought one with Lucas.
Sonic: -2. This MU is bad.
Yoshi: 0 We have more opportunities to punish Yoshi than most people think
Ness: -1 We can "gimp" him, but his neutral is so much better than ours.
Mario: Have not fought a Mario with Lucas.
Falcon: 0 I do not see this MU being bad at all
Fox: -1.5 Jab lock BS and punish options to Lucas's laggy attacks makes the MU difficult. Debating on -2.
Villager: 0
ROB: 0
Shulk: 0
Greninja: -1
Mega Man: -1
(Dark) Pit: 0
Link: +1(I am pretty sure this is in our favor)
Little Mac: -1(Same problems as the Fox MU but without jab locks) Can't reliably knock Mac off the stage aside from hard reads.
Marth: 0
Robin: 0
Bowser: 0 to +1

Yeah, i pretty much believe Lucas is low tier. But I am not giving up on my boy.

Worst MUs

Sheik>Sonic>Fox>Little Mac

On the bright side, Lucas does well vs Rosalina and Yoshi imo.

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
Okay, I think we have enough time to look at our boy from nowhere, and this is how i feel about MUs I have experienced.

Fox: -1.5 Jab lock BS and punish options to Lucas's laggy attacks makes the MU difficult. Debating on -2.
Little Mac: -1(Same problems as the Fox MU but without jab locks) Can't reliably knock Mac off the stage aside from hard reads.

Yeah, i pretty much believe Lucas is low tier. But I am not giving up on my boy.

Worst MUs

imo ZSS seems to do good against Lucas with her paralyzer and longer reaching moves like nair, zair & side b make it hard for Lucas to not be out spaced

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
imo ZSS seems to do good against Lucas with her paralyzer and longer reaching moves like nair, zair & side b make it hard for Lucas to not be out spaced
Paralyzer isn't that big of a deal, with it's startup it's not hard to absorb or reflect.

Play patiently and concentrate on your good zoning and you'll catch her slipping at some point. Just don't make a habit
of trying to challenge her moves directly, wait for punish opportunities.

Not an easy fight but very doable if you can keep your cool.

toonbeoulve

Smash Rookie
NNID
creativelyinept
3DS FC
4141-4599-5710
Maybe it's just me but I have trouble dealing with Shulk because of his range and speed monado.

ToastCunfirmed

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToastFTW
3DS FC
3282-4434-9890
I think We can take care of mac. After fighting some good ones i realized a well placed bthrow at Higher %'s can prevent mac from recovering. We need to be patient in that MU. You only need to worry about Getting gimped with Mario. Zair is crucial in that MU. We can hit Luigi with dsmash over the ledge pretty easily when he double jumps to Up B. Jab is also good when he lands a fireball and dashes towards u cause it's frame 2. Magnet Cancelling is also good cause fireball heals alot. Ness has a slightly better neutral than us. You want to be patient and sort of passive-aggressive and whenever he is offstage, try to gimp him with down b but be cautious of PKT2 (I think this is -0.5)

PapaDiggle

Smash Rookie
NNID
PapaDiggle

Worst MUs

I can't see how we (Lucas) can do well against Rosa. She destroys ness and Lucas for the same reason: if you are forced offstage she can simply absorb your upb. Obviously we have tether which is awesome but a short hop dair will push you out of tether range. And I'm imagining Luma absorbing most of my zair and pkfire stuff. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

ToastCunfirmed

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToastFTW
3DS FC
3282-4434-9890
I can't see how we (Lucas) can do well against Rosa. She destroys ness and Lucas for the same reason: if you are forced offstage she can simply absorb your upb. Obviously we have tether which is awesome but a short hop dair will push you out of tether range. And I'm imagining Luma absorbing most of my zair and pkfire stuff. Am I missing something?
We have tools to easily deal with Luma ( Pk Fire), Tether saves us, We can kill her pretty early, and her recovery is gimpable/down smash can hit her through the ledge.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Worst MUs

I don't see how Luigi can really be a disadvantage. The only thing he really has over us is that his CQC is faster
than Lucas's. But Lucas has pretty much all the tools needed to make it really hard for him to exercise that.
Zair and PK Fire serve you well as always, particularly against Luigi's poor airspeed, and PSI Magnet just hilariously stops
fireballs cold, what with it healing a significant chunk with every shot and even if Luigi tries to rush behind the fireball
he'll likely get an imploding magnet to the face for his trouble, which will send him sliiiding back to square one. Or you could just stick them back if you don't need healing.

Yeah, he can do serious damage if he gets past all that but it just isn't easy for him when Lucas turns fireballs into potential liabilities.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's just me but I have trouble dealing with Shulk because of his range and speed monado.
Shulk is really flexible, but is held back by his slow moves. If you can get in on him, he has issues getting you out thanks to Lucas' faster attacks.

Also, nair can power though projectiles. Keep that in mind.

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
Paralyzer isn't that big of a deal, with it's startup it's not hard to absorb or reflect.

Play patiently and concentrate on your good zoning and you'll catch her slipping at some point. Just don't make a habit
of trying to challenge her moves directly, wait for punish opportunities.

Not an easy fight but very doable if you can keep your cool.
Paralyzer can put a lot of pressure on an opponent, basically clamming a part of the stage, im not sure if Lucas can Magnet cancel but if he cant then absorbing it could get him lightly punished by a fast zss

Kangaexe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
onlykanga
3DS FC
2363-5649-9211
Get him off stage, while his up-b out of shield is godlike it as a recovery move isnt that great against Lucas, unless he has the Jump monado on landing a backair or PKFiring the ledge cause of his inability to autosnap shouldnt be too difficult.

Basically Shulk only has Fair off stage seeing as everything lasts forever and could potentially put him in a position where he doesnt have the reach to recover .

(also protip, attemopt to PK Thundert them at the edge of the stage and trick him into recovering high and PK Thunder yourself like Ness' do)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Paralyzer can put a lot of pressure on an opponent, basically clamming a part of the stage, im not sure if Lucas can Magnet cancel but if he cant then absorbing it could get him lightly punished by a fast zss
For the record yes he can, after absorbing he can do OOS stuff. But even if he couldnt getting punished for reflecting
or absorbing a laser is only really an issue at max range.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

The_Devious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
The_devious97
how does :4lucas:go against:4mario:,:rosalina:and:4robinm:? never fought those characters with lucas.

Top Bottom