• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Have any of you had the fortune to see Pac-Man's crawl on stream?
It looks next to useless, but it is so hilarious looking it functions perfectly as a 4th taunt!

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Have any of you had the fortune to see Pac-Man's crawl on stream?
It looks next to useless, but it is so hilarious looking it functions perfectly as a 4th taunt!
He looks like a Kirby character when he crawls! No arms and no legs. Just a ball with feet walking. xD

Staarih

Smash Master
I got the game today and while I've been pretty much abusing the Random-button, I've also been able to play quite a few matches with Pac-Man and he is definitely one of my favorite characters. For whatever reason I had a real hard time defeating Dark Pit while unlocking him, failing with sooo many characters but Pac-Man was the one with whom I gained victory haha!

Dynamite

Smash Apprentice
Man, I can't wait to get my hands on this game! I'm planning on getting the game tonight after work. I purposely missed out on the demo because I want Pac-man to be the first character I play as! ^^

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
HOW THE **** HAS THIS THREAD BEEN OPEN SINCE 2012

hi there pac man is cool i think he'll be my secondary

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
I'm absolutely loving PacMan. His gameplay clicks so well with me. He's for sure my 3DS main now. I can't use Peach (my other main) no where near as good as PacMan on the 3DS.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I'm loving Pac-Man too. He's so fun to play and his moveset gives him so much variety. But man, I can't wait to play him with an actual controller. That 3DS layout cramps my hands.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Pacman might be the newcomer that has exeeded my epectations the most. I liked how he looked and that he was in when his trailer was shown, but I imagined that his playstyle and controls would be awkward and that he wouldnt be a good character. I was very wrong though, he just clicked the second I played him, like an old friend I hadnt seen in while. besides GW, he may be the character I'm performing best with.

10/10 will/already have main/secondary.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I really like Pac-Man's moves. His smashes and specials are among my favorites. I wish his aerials were better, though.

Also, Pac-Man's side special move, Power Pellet, is easily one of the best special moves in the game, if not the absolute best. I think this is why:
  • Super armor. Don't know when it begins but it's there near the end of the attack.
  • Knockback. It KOs at around 110, and it's safe because of the aforementioned armor.
  • Recovery. You can recover with it better than any other side special since you have greater control over Pac-Man's destination. The move also doesn't render Pac-Man helpless and if he doesn't sweetspot the ledge and bounces off a wall or something, he can still safely make it back with Pac-Jump.
  • Health. If your opponent manages to quash this move, the Pellet will drop and can be eaten to replenish health.
I haven't played with the other characters not named Mario, Dr. Mario, Kirby, or R.O.B., so if there are any objections please let me know.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I really like Pac-Man's moves. His smashes and specials are among my favorites. I wish his aerials were better, though.

Also, Pac-Man's side special move, Power Pellet, is easily one of the best special moves in the game, if not the absolute best. I think this is why:
  • Super armor. Don't know when it begins but it's there near the end of the attack.
  • Knockback. It KOs at around 110, and it's safe because of the aforementioned armor.
  • Recovery. You can recover with it better than any other side special since you have greater control over Pac-Man's destination. The move also doesn't render Pac-Man helpless and if he doesn't sweetspot the ledge and bounces off a wall or something, he can still safely make it back with Pac-Jump.
  • Health. If your opponent manages to quash this move, the Pellet will drop and can be eaten to replenish health.
I haven't played with the other characters not named Mario, Dr. Mario, Kirby, or R.O.B., so if there are any objections please let me know.
I agree with everything except the aerials. All of his aerials are awesome except for the down air. No landing lag, disjointed hitboxes, powerful knockback of the up and back aerials, really quick fair, high priority nair. Most people notice how powerful his aerials are before anything else lol

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
i've been using shorthopped dair and its my favorite aerial right now. you can do it over the edge and hit during certain characters raise-up attack.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I've not had the best results overall with Pac-Man, but good lord is he fun to play as!

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
What's everyone favorite Up-Taunt to get? I like Rally-X and ALERT ALERT. King and Balloon and Pooka are nice too.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
I've gotten pretty darn good with Pac within a short amount of time. :D

I did his Up Taunt in Smash Mode and I got ALERT ALERT. I cracked up laughing when I heard it.

JipC

Smash Journeyman

I think it's after you eat the big Power Pellet, I see him turn a little sparkly near the end of the attack

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
What's everyone favorite Up-Taunt to get? I like Rally-X and ALERT ALERT. King and Balloon and Pooka are nice too.
Alert Alert is my favorite, Bosconian is one of my favorite arcade games of all time.

Speaking of up taunt, it seems like the mothership(giant grey disc) was cut? Haven't gotten it or seen footage of it outside the reveal trailer

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
Alert Alert is my favorite, Bosconian is one of my favorite arcade games of all time.

Speaking of up taunt, it seems like the mothership(giant grey disc) was cut? Haven't gotten it or seen footage of it outside the reveal trailer
Either it was too big (hah) for the 3DS version and it'll be in the Wii U version, or it did get cut.

Although it being, well, too big, might be a viable reason.

Last edited:

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Melon, Key, and Orange seems to be doing it for me. Melon lingers for a while and is easy to catch at the right distance. It's knockback is high as well; Key is Key; and Orange has great horizontal knockback making it a good edgeguard.

F2P_KING

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-3516-9772
orange seems very useful in the sense that it's a quicker key except not as good so it tends to be very good when someone is approaching and can shut that down very quick. I also really like the apple and the bell. I use the bell when enemies are off stage as it can be used for a quick kill when they're down below. It was tough to learn how to land it at first but I'm really liking it now. I also feel like the galaga item could be very useful once people learn the pattern of it. I haven't yet but when I have landed it it follows up very well with other attacks.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Orange is the first good one. Then it goes Apple, which KOs well and bounces oddly. Melon is good for how slow it is.
Now the Ship is soooooooooo good. At 0%, throw it for 22% (Combos with itself) and time a Dash Attack to regrab it. Can get close to 50% just with this (Maybe higher if you hit them with the Dash Attack). It also gimps well when people recover. Bell if good because it hits downwards and can mess up recoveries. The Key kills. That's it.

WieldyMinotaur

Smash Cadet
I dont know if I am in the right thread now but anyone noticed how Pacs Down B can kill him by stopping his recovery and push him away from the trampoline.

F2P_KING

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-3516-9772
the only 2 I don't like at the moment are the strawberry and the melon. Strawberry doesn't seem to do a lot for me since people constantly catch it ;-; and I just find the strawberry useless

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
cherry, apple, melon and galaxian (easy to dash into and regrab) early game and aerial apple, melon and key late for kills

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
My favorite fruit are the key, apple, and orange, but I've found at least niche uses for all of them. I actually like using the occasional strawberry. In most situations, the opponent seems to expect for me to either quickly throw a cherry or charge up for something else. The strawberry comes out quick enough to catch them off-guard, while still packing a bit more oomph than the cherry. Since it's probably the least-used fruit, it also has a speed and flight pattern that most people will not have the muscle memory to easily avoid.

LittlePac

Smash Cadet
I have been getting a lot of KO's off stage with the orange, way more than the key, mostly because it comes out so much quicker and foes aren't expecting it like they're expecting a key toss. Apple is great to edge guard with but sometimes it'll actually help their recovery so you need to be careful with it. I use it on stage a lot as i am falling because its trajectory is goofy and it bounces.

I throw out cherries/strawberries when someone is approaching and a quick follow up berry will often hit them again because the most common reaction i've seen is to just dash towards you or roll away, which frequently gets punished by the follow up fruit.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Can we talk a little about his custom moves? I'm running a 2121 set-up right now but could definitely be converted to testing more with On-Fire Hydrant and the Super Tramp. The Wacky Fruit (B2) is kinda insane but I'm not sure if it's better or worse than the regular or slow moving one. I've done a lot of testing with it though.

Cherry: Bounces all around Pacman and helps shield camping a ton. Usually stops any grabs before they can throw and protects against many aerial approach options.

Strawberry: Bounces horizontally back and forth. When it hits going forward it launches the enemy back into Pacman and vice versa. I've actually been able to set up Up Smashes by throwing the strawberry and knocking the enemy back into me. Seems very strong.

Orange: Comes out even faster than Normal Orange but hits less hard (only 2%). I do think it is a net upgrade though because of how insane it is at edge guarding.

Apple: Starts bouncing slow and then speeds up. Great for mixing up opponents. AFAIK, same knock back and damage as regular apple, possibly more.

Melon: Bounces up slowly and diagonally then comes back down. If it hits it's amazing but it is very hard to land. Definitely a downgrade.

Galaxia Boss: Flies almost the full length of FD then flies back just on top of the previous flight path. Very hard to do more than one hit now but can hit an enemy trying to approach from the air much easier, also probably a net downgrade.

Bell: Hits about one and a half character lengths in front of you then curves straight up. If you hit directly in front of you it's always hit twice for me, dealing 22% damage. Loses it's stun property. I like it but the normal Bell was really nice to set-up kills with.

Key: You no longer throw it, it appears directly in front of you. Is a meteor smash and does insane knock back, killing a puff at ~75%. Very good for opponents trying to edge stall you.

I think overall B1 is better for the balanced Pacman player, whereas B2 is better for a campy Pacman because your better projectiles come out earlier. B3 I think is wry strong for aggressive Pacman players who're looking to combo a lot where you can string multiple fruit throws together with your aerials.

->B1 is the only one I think is useful. The slow one is too slow and the fast one loses all it's KO potential.

Fire Hydrant I think is still the best, but On Fire Hydrant may be better for the Pacmans that are looking to be super aggressive. Just think if you're trying to control the stage that it closes off too much of it to you. You get a lot more shenanigans potential out of the regular Fire Hydrant too. Dire Hydrant I think is just bad compared to both of them.

For the Up B I think the choice is really between Super Tramp and Meteor Tramp. Meteor Tramp is much better at setting up traps and for edgeguarding but Super Tramp can kill at pretty low percentages if you're comboing in the air.

I'd like to hear other opinions too.

Top Bottom