• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Why would Nintendo bother to acquire the rights to use the Pac-Man IP and only use it for an Assist Trophy? That'd be like negotiating for the use of Banjo-Kazooie and only having a stage based on the series. It'd be a waste of everyone's time and money.
I was reading through some old posts in this thread, and I really should admit to being pre-emptive and overconfident in my assertion here. With the Rayman trophy likely being just that - a trophy - my presumption that third-party IPs would not be incorporated with anything less than a character was apparently invalid. This misguided mindset is not even wholly excusable only in retroactive hindsight: they sought out permission to use Tetris for nothing other than two music tracks in Brawl.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I was reading through some old posts in this thread, and I really should admit to being pre-emptive and overconfident in my assertion here. With the Rayman trophy likely being just that - a trophy - my presumption that third-party IPs would not be incorporated with anything less than a character was apparently invalid. This misguided mindset is not even wholly excusable only in retroactive hindsight: they sought out permission to use Tetris for nothing other than two music tracks in Brawl.
Yeah, I can relate. I just don't know why they would want to. Rayman's trophy seems so...unnecessary

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, you could argue that the Galaga ship and Special flag (which were revealed in screenshots before Pac-Man's confirmation) as items without Pac-Man being playable would feel a tad odd. Even Pac-Man being an assist trophy wouldn't feel right.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
To be fair, you could argue that the Galaga ship and Special flag (which were revealed in screenshots before Pac-Man's confirmation) as items without Pac-Man being playable would feel a tad odd. Even Pac-Man being an assist trophy wouldn't feel right.
I was always skeptical of that mindset, personally. I never saw it being all that odd or unbelievable that Namco would have item representation without a playable Pac-Man. In fact, I at first thought that the items were a way to "thank" Namco, as compensation for working on the game, but without giving them a character.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Yeah, I can relate. I just don't know why they would want to. Rayman's trophy seems so...unnecessary
I agree. I just don't understand why they'd make a model for him when he has no other relation to the game whatsoever. It's so weird.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
I was always skeptical of that mindset, personally. I never saw it being all that odd or unbelievable that Namco would have item representation without a playable Pac-Man. In fact, I at first thought that the items were a way to "thank" Namco, as compensation for working on the game, but without giving them a character.
Yeah, I can see what you're getting at.
But still, to me it would have been an incredibly low blow if Sega and Capcom got a character in the game with no involvement otherwise, but Bandai Namco, who is in strong cooperation with this installment, got absolutely nothing. It could've been anyone really, but I was pretty sure a Namco rep was a shoe-in, and Pac-Man was the most obvious choice.
But I still get your point: Bandai Namco's cooperation in development was the only solid evidence for him, but IMO that's some pretty powerful evidence alone. And lo and behold, he's here now, so it doesn't exactly matter now does it:4pacman:.

RadRed

Smash Rookie
NNID
MostEffectual
I like that his variations have the magic boots from Pac-Land but I wish he had a wider range of accessories similar to Pikachu. I'm not even sure what the bands on his arms are tho'.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Oven Mitts?
...I don't know what to feel. On one hand, it is easily one of the stupidest costumes to give a character...but on the other hand, this makes Pac-man easily the most adorable character in smash bros.^^

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm just sitting here hoping against hope that there are unlockable alts. Because the ones we've seen so far are kinda crap.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
My favorite is the regular Pac-Man with dark arms and legs.

The colours do seem a bit... underwhelming though.
I saw mention of Rayman higher up the page.

RadRed

Smash Rookie
NNID
MostEffectual
The blue winged versions of Pac-Land's magic boots are a direct reference to how they look in the Pac-Land game. You can even see the Fairy Queen bestow them upon Pac-Man in one of the screenshots on the character page. The white is how they look in official artwork for the game.

I don't get why he doesn't have the hat in any of them tho'. Or even the cape and mask worn by Super Pac-Man in Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures which the 7th variation seems to be referencing? No idea honestly.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I love his air attack kicks. Watched him on the Nintendo Live Stream today. I just love the way he plays.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I love the fire hydrant. From my early impression from watching the stream it looks extremely good, maybe even Pac-Man's best move. Anyone else think so?

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Pac Man is insane. His Nair destroys you if you're in shield, his Side-B can be angled, (And you can eat the Pellets for Health if you get knocked whilst in it) his Dash Attack lasts forever, his Recovery is godlike, his Fruit Throwing move is great as it gives you strong spammable projectiles, and his Bair and his Uair have such disjointed hitboxes like G&W. He's amazing.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Pac Man is insane. His Nair destroys you if you're in shield, his Side-B can be angled, (And you can eat the Pellets for Health if you get knocked whilst in it) his Dash Attack lasts forever, his Recovery is godlike, his Fruit Throwing move is great as it gives you strong spammable projectiles, and his Bair and his Uair have such disjointed hitboxes like G&W. He's amazing.
So what you're saying is...
He eats shields.
YEEAAHHHH

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Did anyone see that Pac-Man can go beyond the boundaries of the stage in his final smash? Because i just saw a video where he did that.

Nice little reference to the original Pac-Man.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Did anyone see that Pac-Man can go beyond the boundaries of the stage in his final smash? Because i just saw a video where he did that.

Nice little reference to the original Pac-Man.

Yeah, I noticed that in this video too. That's a really cool feature of his Final Smash. :D

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So from what i learned.

Pac-Man is good for beginners and he has high tier potential.

Being sluggish compared to most of the cast doesn't really hinder him at all.

His forward special hits like a truck and his fruit are good for keep away.

His smash attacks hit like a truck also.

His final smash is easy to use from the looks of things and seems to be superior to other transformations because he can't SD when using it.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Haven't posted here in awhile. I've been watching videos for him lately and am getting more excited for is presence in Smash. I seriously cannot wait to play as him.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Pac-Man will be good if his neutral B is good. Honestly I think most of his mechanics are going to depend on how strong/versatile his item game is.

Also I wanna see more information on his customs/items. I'm gonna try and do a write-up of each item whenever I get the game

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Been watching some Pac action on Twitch, and I'm getting more and more excited to play as him. I really enjoy a lot of the retro Namco titles, and I'm glad they included so many nods to them in his moveset (retro games in general are represented well in Smash by way of Mega Man, DHD, Pac; really like the devotion to history). Also great to see this thread so full of people excited for him. Always good to share the hype!

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Pac Man looks so fun and interesting to play as. Is his grab active for some time?

I can't help but smile whenever I see how much classic Namco inspiration his moveset has.

Last edited:

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Did anyone watch the jp tournament on shi_gaming channel today? the guy playing pac-man was amazing. he was using up b on the ground so it leaves the trampoline as a type of stage hazard, forcing a jump if they step on it, letting him punish consistently. never thought of it as a zoning tool on the ground.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Did anyone watch the jp tournament on shi_gaming channel today? the guy playing pac-man was amazing. he was using up b on the ground so it leaves the trampoline as a type of stage hazard, forcing a jump if they step on it, letting him punish consistently. never thought of it as a zoning tool on the ground.
Wish I saved the video that was easily the best Pac play I've seen so far. Made me realize how much potential this character has.

The fire hydrant is god like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom