• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OSU Smash Fest II

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
--REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT IS CLOSED!! TRY SMASH FEST III++

those attending the tournament may still form teams

--THE VENUE FOR THIS TOURNAMENT HAS CHANGED--

Oregon State University would like to invite anyone willing to join to OSU Smash Fest II!

There will be prizes and good challenges to anyone who comes to this event! There are players on the boards who can attest to the skill a few of us here at OSU, you guys will not be dissapointed!

This event will occur on MAY 19TH! Most likely, friendlies will start at NOON! (ENDS AT 8PM)

ENTRANCE FEES FOR SINGLES IS $5
ENTRANCE FEES FOR THE TEAM TOURNAMENT IS: $5

BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This event will be held on the Oregon State Campus, in the Memorial Union. Here is the address:

West Dining Hall
351 SW 30th Street
Corvallis, OR, 97331

--East Conference Rooms--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tournament will be Double Elimination, each match is best two of three. The set random stages are as follows:

Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams (not allowed in the team tournament, due to lag)
Kirby's Dreamland 64
Pokemon Stadium
Battlefield
Final Destination

Counter-pick stages are as follows:

Rainbow Cruise
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Brinstar
Mute City
Poke Floats
Kongo Jungle 64

SINGLES:
Round 1: -Both players pick characters at the same time
-the stage is either agreed upon or RANDOM is chosen
Round 2: -Loser of Round 1 picks stage
-Winner of Round 1 pick character
-Loser of Round 1 picks character and starts the match
Round 3: -Loser of Round 2 picks stage
-Winner of Round 2 picks character
-Loser of Round 2 picks character and starts the match

For the final round, the person who won in the loser's bracket must beat the winner of the winner's bracket in TWO matches. That is, playing a two of three match and winning TWICE.

TEAM TOURNAMENT:
-The round structure of the Singles Tournament applies here.
-Fountain of Dreams and Mute City must be turned off of the random selection list, due to lag.
-Pause is turned OFF
-Taking teammates lives is LEGAL

GENERAL RULES:
-Stalling techniques are NOT allowed
-Character freezing glitches are NOT allowed
-Modded controllers are NOT allowed

-Anyone caught doing these things will forfeit the tournament (if you are in the winners bracket, you will forfeit TWICE, you have been warned).

PRIZES: (singles)
10% will be taken off the top of the entrance fees to support this tournament and the OSU Gaming Club, the host of this event.

$10 will be taken off of the top to give entrance fees back to 5th and 4th place.

OF THE REMAINING ENTRACE FEES:
1st recieves 60%
2nd recieves 30%
3rd recieves 10%

PRIZES: (teams)
Only 1st place will recieve a prize. The amount taken to support OSU Gaming is to be determined and will depend on the popularity of the team tournaments. A large enough gathering for the team tournaments may also make multiple prizes plausible. So join up!

Registration begins NOW! Register by PMing me, or by posting on this thread! If you do not register and you show up, wanting to participate, you will be charged an extra $2. This applies to the singles and the team tournaments.

I hope to see some new faces in the near future!

~Kenpachi

EDITS: I changed the prize percentages to 60-30-10, for 1st-2nd-3rd. Also, just so I'm not riding on this being implied: I reserve the right to participate in this tournament. Don't worry though, based on my skill placement in OSU, its not likely i'll win anything, haha.

Kongo Jungle was also taken off of the counter-pickable stage list. This is based on suggestions from people with way more tournament experience than I have. This tournament is still a ways out, so I am open to suggestions.

REGISTRY LIST:

SINGLES

1. Kenpachi
2. csx2r
3. T!MmY
4. Ronin686
5. joshisrad
6. Frankincense
7. Fates
8. Sean
9. Aftermath (+4-5 people)
10. Minh
11. Gordon
12. Nick
13. Charlie
14. Andy
15. Foxisthemaster (+brother)
16. Andrew
17. Michael Todd
18. Mr. Bob
19. OC George
20. Rage. (+2)
21. Jared (+1)
22. Zyloch (+2-3)
23. Edgar
24. DMStudios
25. binx
26. keisos (+2)
27. Riot6777
28. Gun
29. Ratking1234's friends (+4)
30. Shin

UNCONFIRMED

1. tommy

TEAMS

1. The Super Smash Twins
2. The Sheikachu <cannot attend>
3. binx and cmin
4. csx2r and oc george
5. action squad
6. shinudios

Other additions:

The location of Smash Fest II has been added.

The time frame of Smash Fest II has been added.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Those ratios suck. 10 bucks for 4th and 5th? No, they shouldn't get anything, and that's because getting 4th and 5th means nothing. I understand the 10 percent off for costs or whatever, and that's cool, but I disagree about 4th and 5th.

Also, it should be 60 30 10. Taking 10 percent off of first for third place is lame.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Wow, a smash event that I don't have to travel two to twenty hours to get to!
Sensor indicate a high chance of me attending.

Edit: this event has been added to the OSM list of events.

Edit 2:
If entrance fee is only $5 for singles and $5 for doubles, wouldn't 4th and 5th get $5 to get back their entrance fee?

Also, take off Kongo Jungle from the counter pickable stages.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
The ratios are contingent with Smash Fest I, and I put the pay-back prizes for 4th and 5th to encourage attendance of more players. though, i don't know the tournament standard for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ratios, so i'll look that up. i may change that later, but the 4th and 5th prizes will stay.

EDIT: I said $10 in the post, but i was implying that a Total of $10 was used, $5 for 4th and $5 for 5th. Sorry that was unclear.

~Kenpachi

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Standard payouts are usually 70/30 or 60/30/10 (1st/2nd, and 1st/2nd/3rd, respectably). I don't mind your 4th/5th additions to the above splits, especially if it encourages more players.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I encourage 4th & 5th to get money for their placing, it encourages people to attend instead of saying "I won't get anything in return." Also, look at more 'professional' tournements, they usually pay out downwards to 8th place.

I demand crews.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
Paying out down toward 8th is something I shouldn't really do until the size of the tournament breaks a certain point, in my opinion.

I've heard of crew battles, but I don't know how it works. Do you know of a thread with an explanation?

I'm also smashing with OSU's best tonight, so i'll suggest a crew. Thats 5 people, right? though OC George (OSU's #2) will be missing. He goes home every weekend.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
If I can get four or five people from Eugene to go, we can have a City Battle (Eugene vs Corvallis).

The rules for Crew Battles are pretty simple. Each side has a predetermined number of people (usually 4 or 5) and they take turns facing off just like a normal tournament. The only difference is that the person who wins stays in to fight the next person and starts with the same amount of stock he left off on. (So if you 3-stock your opponent, you start off with 3-stock on the next match).

You can see a Eugene crew battle we had for fun here:
Part 1
Part 2

I have a link to Oregon videos on the OSM thread.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
If I can get four or five people from Eugene to go, we can have a City Battle (Eugene vs Corvallis).

The rules for Crew Battles are pretty simple. Each side has a predetermined number of people (usually 4 or 5) and they take turns facing off just like a normal tournament. The only difference is that the person who wins stays in to fight the next person and starts with the same amount of stock he left off on. (So if you 3-stock your opponent, you start off with 3-stock on the next match).

You can see a Eugene crew battle we had for fun here:
Part 1
Part 2

I have a link to Oregon videos on the OSM thread.

A city crew battle would be sweet.

I just talked to Kefka and he wants to go, although he isn't exactly sure if he can make it or not, he says he probably can.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Portland will be there, expect like 4-5 people and don't charge us the extra $2.

Tell everyone Aftermath wants a money match, singles or teams, their choice of amount.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
you told me how many people are coming, so there won't be an extra charge for your group. Its not neccisarily the names i need, but the numbers, to make sure i have enough setups and a big enough space. I'll tell people about the money match request. See you there!

~Kenpachi

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
4-5 people from Noregon is the perfect amount to join in on the City Battle. Take first and you'll get a Coal Badge!

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Hey, maybe, you know, since this isn't, like, OUR tournament, perhaps we probably maybe shouldn't tell him how to run it.
Sound like a plan?

Riot6777

Smash Ace
I was at the first event you held lol I got second place >.< to Chris that guy is very good ^.^

But I will be up for going again Gun might come with me again this time.

Dude Erick also I will be down to play during the weekend so if you live close to Portland that would be nice lol I would take a bus ride to you.

Jesse, James I hope both of you come to the one lol I know Jesse will want to take me out of second place lol this will be nice because there are a lot of people that go to OSU and play.

:psycho: ~Riot~ :psycho:

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Josh, if a tournament doesn't have good rules, why shouldn't we petition them to change it to more widely accepted rules? If the people there question it, we can back up our reasoning, and it makes the tournament not horrible.

Perhaps if you didn't only play for fun you'd understand that you don't want some ridiculously bad rule that shouldn't be there making you lose out.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Certainly. It doesn't take the purely competitive mindset to grasp that. But I think you'll agree with me when I say that prize money ratios don't make players lose matches. No?

Riot6777

Smash Ace
The last tournament he ran he did just fine it was very fair there where a lot of people and everyone had fun.

Besides the projector that had lag I will never play on that again....... ::sigh::

Riot6777

Smash Ace
Good lol that thing had lag and glare lol I am sure that if some of the other guys come such as Aftermath and Juce for example they will bring a T.V. you are pretty close to Timmy/Tommy so they also might bring one.

Oh by the way Timmy if your reading this yeah I will do an Ice Climber ditto with you.

Jesse I have been playing a lot more and trying to make up for my mistakes and forward smash more lol I can also super bomb dash way more. Maybe next time I wont have to worry about you I only recall like 2 or 3 tournaments I have ever beaten you in.

You good Jesse but you will have to watch out for Chris at OSU lol we got to talking about you he has told me he's beaten you before that's hard for most people to do. lol

I hope everyone can make it I want to see an even bigger turn out then last time I went and will someone beat me fast please next time lol try and get me lower than second lol I am going for first but I want people to want to win lol come on Oregon fight to show your great at the game.

Stop letting losers say Oregon sucks.

:psycho: ~Riot~ :psycho:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yay, Ice Climber ditto! Just like in the good, old days. Lol?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
out of left field!

The ppl more likely to show up at a tournament are the more competetive players. Those players will not show up if they don't like the rules, so how about you guys have a vote? All competetive players vote on what rules they think will be best for this tournament and then with those rules the biggest turnout of ppl should show up.

Riot6777

Smash Ace
out of left field!

The ppl more likely to show up at a tournament are the more competetive players. Those players will not show up if they don't like the rules, so how about you guys have a vote? All competetive players vote on what rules they think will be best for this tournament and then with those rules the biggest turnout of ppl should show up.
I agree with you simna unlike some of these fools but you make a good point let's all just agree on the rules maybe if you like them we can see you down there it will be worth that money OSU had a big turn out last time I am sure it will be much larger this time.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
More on that....remember only COMPETETIVE players can vote and should the T.O. not agree to those rules then guess who isnt going to have many ppl at their tournament^_^

btw: the rules dont look bad as they are now...i guess you guys like the current rules?

Riot6777

Smash Ace
I am apart of the COMPETITIVE players list of Oregon that Timmy had made. I have as much write to vote as any other smash player. We would just have normal rules anyway this whole topic has turned from bad to just stupid.....

I just don't see why pro players don't go there just to make money or do you guys feel to "good" for normal players lol I am glad I don't care who you are I will still take your money.

Hasn't everyone noticed the way some smash players think it makes them try and look smarter than everyone else but then they just fail and look stupid in front of everyone lol at least that's what I have noticed.

What I don't get is why everyone always has to fight over something so stupid all the time why can't the smash scene just get along like everyone in the rave scene does ^.^

mangler

Smash Cadet
HAHAHAHAA

Haha
ha.

ha
ha ha riot...............

simmna i agree that the competitive players should vote on the rules for tournaments BUT its should still be up to the host on the rules and if they want to use the COMPETITIVE RULES or be a noob:laugh:

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
the final decision is always up to the host...there is nothing ppl can do about that

It comes down to this tho: What does the host want? A bigger turnout at the tournament or a smaller one? If they want more ppl to show up then they will conform to the rules that will bring in more people. Its as simple as that.

Of course if they dont want more ppl they could use unpolished and unpopular rules, but they could just as easily put a sign-up cap on their tournament without the risk of having sum1 come in and abuse the faulty rules.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
i agree on the vote thing. i want to try and keep standard rules. so, is there anything else you guys see in specific?

Riot6777

Smash Ace
STAGE SELECTION is always a big issue counter picks.

Projectors are never fun for some reason every single one I have played on has had lag anyone else have this problem?

Top Bottom