• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni Releases Controversial Video On Smash 4

Jrugs

Smash Ace
or....we could not kill the games that we already had. That way sakurai doesn't try fixing smash games his way, with scrubby game mechanics like rage mode.

Manta

Smash Cadet
PM Players have issues with outside forces hurting their game.
Sm4sh Players have issues with their own scene/game hurting them.

...Let's just all play Melee then.

No, but really. You guys literally have EVERYTHING going for you guys (more then PM, and even more than Melee) and yet you still have the most drama and issues within your scene. It speaks a lot about both your community and your game.
Sm4sh is like 5 moths old, of course there's going to be issues especially with custom moves which weren't present in any other Smash, in a year or so things will likely start to settle down and the meta can really start to grow. People just need to accept the fact that Sm4sh has custom movesets and if they don't they like it they should play something like Melee or Brawl instead. Sm4sh is a new game, people need to accept that, like I said before, it's not Melee or Brawl 2.0.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Technically he never said he was sorry. But yeah i'm on your side here, don't stoke a fire if you're afraid to get burnt. Can't antagonize people and expect a polite pat on the back for it.
I know... I have been burnt and I just want it to stop hurting...

At the very least, I've blanked out all of the offending posts. That's all I can do. I'm going to have to deal with the forums being a bit of a ghost town for a while...

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
Smash 4 won't die any time soon. It's only been out for 5 months, customs are barely going to be used in a major tournament (which whether like it or not, adds both good/bad to the game), people are still going to smash 4 tourneys (over 1000 at both apex and EVO is far for dead, especially for a newer game), and new things could be added to the game (at the very least, we'll have a new character in mewtwo). Honestly, people should be more concerned in finding more in the game or adapting to the meta than talking about its death.

Last edited:

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
Well, it seems that you can only rip the ISO file from your own copy of the game, and that if you don't have the original copy of the game, it isn't legal to keep the ISO file.
Rip it in anticipation for it eventually breaking as a preventative measure, and a disk that doesn't read is still an authentic disk.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I agree the recovery is awful, but 40% on a move that can be spammed? I agree with you, just saying.
Ooooor you could just avoid being next to the ledge at 40%, wait till you get past 70% and then laugh as Mii Brawler has no more ways to kill you anymore. You do realize it's only able to kill at 40% because players DI the d-throw wrong at the edge causing them to be as close to the blast zone as possible while the Helicopter Kick can connect right?

If you just don't let yourself get grabbed around that percentage at the edge you should be fine. It takes a lot longer to kill with that move from the center of the stage.

Seriously, this reminds me of when the game first came out and everybody called Bowser OP because his f-smash killed at 50%

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I think the problem with Smash 4 is that people are trying too hard for it to be as big as Melee, which took time to build up into what it is today. People are rushing to make Smash 4 the next big thing, especially since Brawl left a bad taste in many people's mouths.

The other part of the problem goes down to how players are not willing to learn how to play the game. (Matchups, anyone?) They want to say that character X is OP and needs to be nerfed, and bla, bla, bla. Practice. It ain't going to be easy, but keep at it.

Also, time to make people cry in Splatoon when it comes out. =D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know about you guys, but I actually liked this video...

Scoot

Smash Cadet
Lmao picked his entire premise from the get go before even watching the video.

It's so obvious he was going to say "Because the smash 4 community won't pick up their own slack"

But I guess it's just that obvious.

Last edited:

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Only thing he said that was good was in reference to any discussion ppl have of customs somehow being imbalanced and regular moves somehow shouldn't count when talking about said balance. Everything else was just trash/stupid.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I know... I have been burnt and I just want it to stop hurting...

At the very least, I've blanked out all of the offending posts. That's all I can do. I'm going to have to deal with the forums being a bit of a ghost town for a while...
Or, alternatively, work on your emotional stability before flaming on forums?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Where can I get that pic of Diddy up-kicking Perfect Cell?
I MUST HAVE IT.
http://i.imgur.com/iOLcJVG.png

Anyways, this video really made me think about Smash 4. To be honest, I just wanna play the game. We really do need to just accept the game as it is. Let's just suck it up and deal with Diddy, and "broken" customs, and everything else that is unique to this game and its budding meta.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
http://i.imgur.com/iOLcJVG.png

Anyways, this video really made me think about Smash 4. To be honest, I just wanna play the game. We really do need to just accept the game as it is. Let's just suck it up and deal with Diddy, and "broken" customs, and everything else that is unique to this game and its budding meta.

I approve of both your text colors. xD oh diddy...

But budding, it definitely is=) Thats a perfect way to put the game's progress so far-^^

Szion

Smash Journeyman
I love this guy for making this video.

Defensive. campy. jank. these are things i quickly found out after playing for 5 minutes. this is why i play project m.

all those things he said about the community...all those things abut trying to change the game.

hes right about all of it. the game doent look good competitively so they do their best to change it...my god..someone else who sees this..

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Overreactions isn't a Smash community issue. It is just how people are.

I don't really get involved in the whole shenanigans and haven't personally run into much of any issue when playing online with people on Nintendodojo (I can't get over how horrible the name is). I have my own personal criticisms of the community as whole (the people often make excuses for) but I think the arguments and the pettiness really shows how far more divided the community is than what I even thought would be.

Going against some players who are "better" than me, I really don't feel the skill gap being immensely large either. I don't think Smash 4 is a casual game. I think it's a linear thought process to think that especially when holding it up against Melee that has issues beyond the competitive bubble people get wrapped in (and most who have read my posts on Melee already know). As Oni said, however, people should just enjoy the game for what it is. Also, it's a video game. It's meant to be enjoyed. It's not supposed to be creating all this stress and ****ery over stupid rulesets. Normally, people play video games to relieve stress. It's enough that the community adds a layer of stress with the competitions, the circle jerking, the ass kissing, the fake & the phony, toxicity, bad attitudes, poor ethics, among a myriad of other fallacies.

Looks like this division will only get wider. And hey, it's going to be within the Smash 4 scene.

It's too early to tell. I don't believe Smash 4 will die. That's hyperbolic. But the process of enjoying the game and fostering a healthy community will for sure be at a stand still.

And it's really stupid.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I disagree, Omni.

In fact, I think the Smash fanbase being as bad as the Sonic and Pony fandoms is a sign of a very much alive, thriving community.

And with that, I'm staying out of the larger Smash communities and sticking with our little, friendly sect with SD Remix. Thanx bye

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
I really disagree with the video Omni and I think it's honestly hurting the community.

On one hand, you had the great points "the game is only 5 months old" and we should stop trying to change the game and just play it.

Then you go and complain about the game being campy (have you seen Amsa vs. Ally for example? That's kind of the opposite of campy.) and that we should already have established rules 5 months after its release. Customs vs. no customs and 5 vs. 6 minutes isn't really a big deal. People will try them and eventually figure out what they prefer. Competitive Smash has never been this big before (remember 1000+ players for both Melee & Smash 4 at EVO, which is AWESOME!), and thus there are going to be lots of opinions. I also think that the actual player's opinions are what matter over the audience.

The game is in its infancy, there's a crap ton of interest in 2 of the games based on tourneys this past year, and people are having fun playing the game it seems like. I really think folks are overreacting.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I back that statement. I remember reading on Reddit from Brawl players that Smash 4 stripped features that made even Brawl competitive. I don't remember all the details, but DACUS was definitely among them.
The statement that Brawl is more competitive does not make sense in my opinion. Smash 4 improved a lot of things from Brawl, yet it seems that people still have the mentality of "The amount of advanced techniques determines how competitive a game is", which is flawed reasoning.

Last edited:

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
The statement that Brawl is more competitive does not make sense in my opinion. Smash 4 impproved a lot of things from Brawl, yet it seems that people still have the mentality of "The amount of advanced techniques determines how competitive a game is", which is flawed reasoning.
I never said that Brawl was more competitive, mind you. You assume too much.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
LMFAO @ that thumbnail.

Pretty sure this is going to be me when I return later to seeing everyone use basic logic to refute my points.

enjoyed the video im just a newbie but i can see most of the issues you spoke about id like to see this game thrive since its the only smash in my area atm haha

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
@ Saikyoshi Saikyoshi ,you dun goofed. Opinions don't usually work in the Smash community. Let the people who like and hate like and hate, it was never your problem to try and purposely settle against thousands of people who could go against you. That's like going to the White House and saying with 100 armed guards around "I think I'll shoot the president." :4pacman:

kkthx4reedin.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
It's not even that Smash 4 has less ATs.
I feel like Smash 4 has less player interaction, too.
Almost any conversion you would get in Brawl would come off of a read.
Even though I don't play Brawl, I can respect a game like that, and it's players even more.
Gameplay like this also made it a bit more spectator friendly outside of the camping and all that.

I don't get that same feeling from Smash 4, to be honest. Almost every good character, other than maybe Sheik, differs to the exact same punishes almost every single time (which is a big reason why UMvC3 is dying today). Couple that with rarely any edgeguarding scenarios in top level play, and you get a game less interesting than Brawl was imo.

If the Smash 4 community wants to improve, I think the best move would be to keep experimenting, and wait for Evo before trying to make any solid rulesets. Evo could be the tournament to make or break Customs (or even the game itself, worst case scenario).

Ironically, the Smash 4 community here on Hawai'i is pretty unified in comparison to the rest of the world. We just run Customs with 3 stocks, and no one complains.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
that's pretty subjective
Maybe so, but it still improves on some of Brawl's gameplay. Granted, it also got rid of some of the stuff that made Brawl good as well (glide tossing and auto-canceling, to name a few). I still prefer the increased speed and no-trip features of Smash 4, and the online play is 1000x better than Brawl's ever was.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I think y'all take all this too seriously. I get as competitive as for glory mode and that's about it. You guys take all this too seriously.

But what about the meta! you may say to yourself. Well, that character was nerfed this time around don't sweat it. JK

And people go nuts over what these "professional gamers" have to say about the game. These guys should not to be admired in the way they are currently. They bum off of their friends or parents (that work for a living) so they can play games all day and show up at tournaments.

These are video games, lets leave it at that and just enjoy it.

NNID
MasterHavik
As someone that has been a fan of competitive smash for a while and trying to get good at smash too. I will say this: when this game got patched I knew things were going to go to ****. I have been in too many Fg communities in my time to know when a game got patched the community becomes divided and it's hard to keep everyone together. Onmi is right when he says," yo jut play." in the MK9 and injustice community we just learn to play and stop ********. MK9 had Kabal and Injustice had Martian manhunter/superman. The NRS community stayed tight and look at what they have accomplish in just a couple of years. NRS games have been to a total of five evos and is still feature at most majors as a main or side event. This is my take on the situation coming from non-home grown smash player. The Smash 4 and Brawl community are acting like the Soul Calibur community. What do I mean by that? Basically they are ban happy and are ready to go on rants on what characters need to be banned. So smash 4 community take onmi's video as a warning.

P.S. Thank you to the ****ing whiny ass scrubs that nerf my secondary.(It's Little mac). Your amount of sucking at the game makes my life hell when I play Mac. You guys are so ****ing awesome.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
As someone that has been a fan of competitive smash for a while and trying to get good at smash too. I will say this: when this game got patched I knew things were going to go to ****. I have been in too many Fg communities in my time to know when a game got patched the community becomes divided and it's hard to keep everyone together. Onmi is right when he says," yo jut play." in the MK9 and injustice community we just learn to play and stop *****ing. MK9 had Kabal and Injustice had Martian manhunter/superman. The NRS community stayed tight and look at what they have accomplish in just a couple of years. NRS games have been to a total of five evos and is still feature at most majors as a main or side event. This is my take on the situation coming from non-home grown smash player. The Smash 4 and Brawl community are acting like the Soul Calibur community. What do I mean by that? Basically they are ban happy and are ready to go on rants on what characters need to be banned. So smash 4 community take onmi's video as a warning.

P.S. Thank you to the ****ing whiny *** scrubs that nerf my secondary.(It's Little mac). Your amount of sucking at the game makes my life hell when I play Mac. You guys are so ****ing awesome.

And this is what I'm talking about.

NNID
MasterHavik
And this is what I'm talking about.
I actually go to college dude. Communications major all day son.:)

Nah all seriousness is aside yes it's a game but a lot of these pro gamers work jobs too. Hell one of the top SF players actually took time off to finish grad school. Don't stereotype these guys since a lot of bust their butts to make it big. I do this as a side thing. I want to be good enough to beat Zero,but I know I gotta handle my busy in the classroom to make it big in the real world.

btw the melee is still carrying this franchise on its back. I wish people wouldn't **** on it. I know some fans of melee have been nasty, but don't bite the hand that feeds you..well not feed you but smash got known casually and competitively because of melee. Melee is the bedrock of this community. If I was were to use a sports analogy, I will say that melee is the franchise QB while the others are the offensive line.

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
I prefer Smash 4 over Brawl because of how much more streamlined it is for a Smash game. As a person who looks into competitive design I know how accessibility plays a major part in playing a game. I am one against the idea of advanced techniques and even exploits defining competitive play, but to deny that goes against a large part of how a game's meta become developed. A balance is needed.
The example was stated was one of the minor points compared to everything else, and I apologize that you had to take it as one of the more prominent points. I should have stated something like ledgehogging being a thing in Brawl like on Melee (one of the bigger complaints about Smash 4, after all).

Gero Zeal

Smash Cadet
I will admit that I have been prey to the whole "divided how-to-make-smash4-competitive" thing. Although I can say that I'm fairly new and trying to learn more about the competitive smash scene.

On the topic of "If Smash 4 will die competitively"? No. I think it has great potential. It has great variety and is almost the Melee to Brawl.

Do I think some of the things Omni said is valid and should be taken into consideration? Yes. I feel like everyone and anyone can quickly jump the gun to get something to be want we want it to be.

In the end, I still plan to play Smash 4, casually and competitively.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Whether you like me or not is entirely up to you. If giving my unpopular opinion on the state of the Smash 4 community makes you dislike me welll... you saw the video. You know what you can do, senpai.
I do not agree with your points, but you can at least handle my comment with class. I will give you that.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
I think y'all take all this too seriously. I get as competitive as for glory mode and that's about it. You guys take all this too seriously.

But what about the meta! you may say to yourself. Well, that character was nerfed this time around don't sweat it. JK

And people go nuts over what these "professional gamers" have to say about the game. These guys should not to be admired in the way they are currently. They bum off of their friends or parents (that work for a living) so they can play games all day and show up at tournaments.

These are video games, lets leave it at that and just enjoy it.
Under that sense, we shouldn't admire top sports players or listen to their opinion. Just like those games take skill, Smash (mostly Melee and PM) games need you to have high technical skill as well as mind games to be able to do decent in a tournament. You don't understand why because as you said, you only play For Glory. I don't see the problem with figureheads in the community, as many communities throughout the years have always needed some sort of leader to guide and get things done. You can't say top players are lazy, because they spent alot of time getting good and staying at that level. Nothing wrong with putting everything into what you love. Even then alot of them have jobs/sponsors, so they don't just 'bum off of their friends or parents'. Heck a player like Zero probably earns enough from tournaments alone.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
in this "me" generation of people, trying to get folks to agree on something has the same kind of difficulty as some petty political debate. Change needs to happen somewhere, but the players involved want said change to benefit themselves more than anyone... any unfortunate soul who is more genuinely selfless and helps others regardless of him/herself is the only thing near unanimously shot down. it's ****ing depressing, but what can a bunch of people with massivly unpopular opinions POSSIBLY do about it!?

it hurts the most when I watch the Melee documentary over again. sure, brawl got a lot of things off-putting for competitive players. but I assumed this was a minority thing, that the Smash community as a whole was loads more accepting otherwise. this is disillusioning, people, I hoped the community was much more considerate than this.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Didn't bother watching the video. Just came in to say that anyone that butthurt over Smash4's success doesn't deserve to be associated with Invader ZIM.

Remobit

Smash Cadet
Look guys its only 5 months into this game. You gotta let the game grow for a little bit before you start adding all these rules. We need a meta first. Cause the rage in the community is just...

Top Bottom