• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni Releases Controversial Video On Smash 4

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I was thinking a similar thing yesterday. The community is so high stress, and constantly trying to jump to early conclusions about things. Why can we not be more calm? Maybe this means playing the game before stressing over the rules. (ie. trying it out.)

Customs are only just being tried out, and people are already calling them 'op' or "janky." They are already looking to ban things! Most people have not even had the chance to face against these custom moves, and are solely basing their opinions about banning them off of videos. A fault in this is when watched in videos rather than played in person, certain moves can appear op when they are truly just highly situational. Another fault in it is just the total lack of information we have from not spending much time. (ps. Omni you're doing this too)

Last edited:

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
That is why Leffen and M2K win Sm4sh tournaments, right? Leffen won a tournament without ever playing the game before :/ Armada got second at some Sm4sh tourney (losing to Leffen, as I recall). He also had never played the game...
Actually I don't think leffen plays it, and if he does there is no way he won without playing the game, bs like that is why this "community" thinks of certain players as gods, instead of as human beings who actually put a lot of time and thought and hence practice into the game...really pathetic man.

I think armada and m2k do however, armada is good while m2k plays it all the time with zero. I'm not saying they can't possibly be good at sm4sh, I'm saying they can't let go of their glory, and then people like you want to worship human gods, that's why melee is still popular, which I won't deny is because the tech skills available in melee supports that viewpoint.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Not sure if you've been following recent developments, but DK's custom up-B is incredibly safe and makes it very hard to approach DK (helping his camp game tremendously) and Pika's Heavy Skull Bash KO's at below 50% off an airdodge read. ESAM thinks it makes Pika the best character in the game.
I'll need to check out DK's Up B then, and see just how safe it really is. As for Pika's Heavy Skull Bash... is that uncharged?

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
I disagree with your video, Omni, and as far as I can tell, the scene is doing fine and I'll label a few reasons why.

As with Smash history, it usually takes time for a rule-set to come together. We aren't divided as a community for disagreeing, we are merely debating as a community because this game has new things added to it like Custom Moves which is honestly such a new twist on Smash Bros. that even I wasn't a fan of it at first until I played with it myself and realized the possibilities.

I feel as if this will take some time because of the depth here involved with customs, and also the metagame takes time to involve. Rome wasn't built in a day.

People play this game a lot, this game has a healthy tournament scene and this game has tons of popular streams. It also has 3DS to help keep it alive since 3DS has sold more units than Wii U. There is no reason to be alarmed with things the way they are now since everything is going smoothly.

I think perhaps it's easier to notice the arguing now as social media, as we get older, is more noticeable to us as technology has evolved and thus tend to get more involved so it seems like the world is ending sometimes, so to speak, but it really isn't. It's just another day another debate, this happens with a lot of things on the internet, not just gaming.
Ditto all this, Sm4sh isn't even struggling. It has really strong turn out at local tournaments I go to. I think For Glory mode acts as a natural in game mechanic for growing the community too. Tons of long time casual smash players are given more and more chances to become invested in developing their competitive side more. Even if they don't actually turn into competitive smashers they end up plugging into the scene more, looking up tutorials, learning the big names and watching high level matches.

I've made similar comments before but I think all of the worried negative mentality is just left from Brawl.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

I'll watch it later, but I have a feeling I'll disagree. Never did like sensationalist articles/videos/whatever, like this.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
This all pretty much tells me that both games have what the other needs, though I will admit that the lack of auto-cancels in Smash 4 really does piss me off. Remember when Ganon's Dair was a good move to use as a punish or even an approach? Good times.
WAT
Over half of the cast could react to the stomp and punish Ganondorf as soon as he approached with it. As well, it's still a very useful move for punishing, leading to locks at low percents and to the world and half if frame cancelled, and this time no character can Nair him before he tries to even grab him(at least with the frame cancel, otherwise some characters might be able to).
I find it funny that we are supposed to be separated communities because OneUnit is Utopia, yet we endlessy compare a game of the series to the other, aside the fact that one shouldn't approach a game by comparing it to another just because they are from the same series, because of the Chaos Theory, I hardly ever see people calling others "half-banana" despite the fact that we do indeed share half of our DNA with them.
Our community is no different story, our opinions often differ in minimal parts of the game, but that single part can change the metagame as a whole, as happened with Smash Attack 4 and 5, the former with 6 minutes and no timeouts, the latter with 5 minutes and 6 timeouts. These differences as well make the community divided more harshly because of these decisions being that important. As such, it is important that the Smash 4 community acts fast and decisive on their actions, if allowing/banning all/some customs, 5/6 minutes and so going on, but I think that they aren't decisions you can make by doing leaps of faith, but are the best when made with empirical reasonement, that mustn't be hurriedly(acting fast=/acting hurriedly). And in the end if there can't be found an universal answer, we can as well leave this to the TO discretion, back in Brawl days not everyone chose to ban Meta Knight, and Europe, America and Japan have split rulesets, yet they are stable on those decisions, so they could go forward in playing the game.
The OOH-HAH is something that many people find frustraring, and since people where united under that thought, when at Apex every time ZeRo grabbed Mew2King they started chanting OOH-HAH, but that did nomore sound frustrating, because in that moment the community was synched together from that harmony in their thinking that it was irritating, simple as that.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Brawl had a really healthy competitive run for quite a few years, and seeing as Smash 4 is overall a better game than Brawl, I can see Smash 4 lasting about as long, if not longer.

For those who are throwing custom moves as a negative into an argument, if the Dissidia community can have a competitive base with their custom sets, including equipment, there's no reason to believe Smash 4 can't thrive on custom moves alone, barring equipment altogether.
Dissidia is a game I really want to get into. The community seems a little stagnant right now, but I'd love to get stuff started with my school's CGC. Or even online stuff through smashboards could work?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'll need to check out DK's Up B then, and see just how safe it really is. As for Pika's Heavy Skull Bash... is that uncharged?
I can't seem to link it for the life of me, but uncharged it managed to KO Diddy at 40% and it does 28 damage fresh.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
You forgot to mention stages.

Which I'll admit, I'm a vocal supporter of Pokemon Stadium 2 being legal. I got my reasons for why that's a good stage.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
While people talk of banning customs, its only just that. Talk.

The leading custom moveset project has no bans. That's the one used at EVO.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
First: Don't comment if you didn't watch the video. The title is clickbait and makes it sound like he's hating on Smash 4.

He's right though in what he says. A big part of it is that there's just not a lot of veterans in the Smash 4 community. There's so many new players and so few veterans that it's hard for the new players to really get a feel for competitive mentalities (which is vital for real growth).

In the past, the growth rate was slow enough that players would be introduced in to a seasoned community and "scrub" mentalities would be dealt with pretty quickly. But with how fast Smash has grown, and with the low veteran-to-new-player ratio in Smash 4 specifically, the majority are new. And with this comes a lot of inexperienced/bad opinions that find traction because there's no established community to shoot them down, and even good ideas that split off in different directions because there's no community leadership.

And a lot of the new players are entering with League-like mentalities. Frequently-updated games inherently breed whiney attitudes because complaining actually can accomplish something while working hard to develop things can get you nerfed when you make your character better.

Honestly, I think the best thing any new Smash 4 player can do is read David Sirlin's book on competitive gaming, "Playing To Win". If this was required reading I think the community would work together 10x better.
So you're saying we should all use Diddy Kong?
Play to win, amirite? :p

Grubert

Smash Rookie
Actually I don't think leffen plays it, and if he does there is no way he won without playing the game, bs like that is why this "community" thinks of certain players as gods, instead of as human beings who actually put a lot of time and thought and hence practice into the game...really pathetic man.

I think armada and m2k do however, armada is good while m2k plays it all the time with zero. I'm not saying they can't possibly be good at sm4sh, I'm saying they can't let go of their glory, and then people like you want to worship human gods, that's why melee is still popular, which I won't deny is because the tech skills available in melee supports that viewpoint.
Well you're right that he doesn't play it/practice it (he actually doesn't even own it), but he has entered tournaments for the money. And won them. Look at his tournament wins on ssbwiki. He has a 1st place in DS, a 1st, 3rd, and 9th place in Sm4sh Wii U. And HE DOES NOT PRACTICE THE GAME.

ssbwiki.com/Smasher:Leffen

Deal with it.

Gui JP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Twishine
3DS FC
0791-1410-6660
Mewtwo isn't even playable yet.

#SplatoonHype
(Personally, I'm hype on Evo Smash 4 + customs. Smash 4 isn't Melee.)

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
I feel like this video contradicts itself. Omni establishes early on that the game is only 5 months old, which is true. Then at the end he suggests that we establish a unified ruleset now. That doesn't make any sense; the whole idea here is that we're still experimenting, still trying to find out what the best ruleset is, because the game is only 5 months old.

Also, I feel like Omni's opinion of Sm4sh (he doesn't like it) was thrown in the video for no reason other than to provoke a reaction. It doesn't really add to any of his points, and in fact just takes away from them.

Gloman600

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gloman600
this guy is annoying and just wants to make videos to be relevant in smash com. i get it, my only concern is custom moves becoming too prominent too soon maybe amiibo and all that stuff couldve waited but no nerfs or buffs just let meta grow like he said!

Rags

Smash Ace
I'm going to come out of hiding and state my opinion on SMash 4 and MAYBE some of the reason its gotten bad reception from a few of the community.

First off, you guy are right. Melee is getting stale, and we WANT to replace it. HOWEVER, Nintendo and Sakurai keep toying with and rather than make melee with a more viable/expanded roster, they made these... things.. that look like a melee-frankenstein.

That is not Melee.

Some will give it a try, but for the melee fanbase to accept it, it would have to feel or at least play like Melee (PM) and that would suffice. Sure there would be a few gripes, but as a whole, we could move on. These games (brawl and smash 4) play nothing like Melee at all, and pretty much go against all the information we've learned about the game from previous titles. We can play it, but in the end, it's like getting a small bag of chips when you want a steak to eat. You can lie to yourself and tell yourself it's a steak, but at the end of the day you're still going to be hungry.

At least, that's how I view SMash 4. Not bad, fun to play character, but I honestly feel like pure skill isn't always rewarded... (INB4 someone comes with an extreme) ...on average.

Gloman600

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gloman600
melee fans our a pain tho they cant get good at this meta as quickly as they want so always bash this game melee fans need to let go or get lost this is another big issue

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
To sum it up, "Smash 4 is not Melee, therefore it will fail".

Sigh... Not everyone feels that Melee is the be-all end-all in this series. IMO, everything that was good in melee was either matched or improved in either Brawl (the story modes) or Melee (the mecahnics).

Honestly the only thing Melee has over it is that it includes Mewtwo and it has more non-chaos-based platform stages. One part will be coming into Smash 4 (Mewtwo).

Last edited:

Gutei

Smash Cadet
I'm not going to ignore the elephant in the room or hold my tongue. And I won't apologize. This is who I am. Feel free to disagree with me; I welcome it. But I hope we can still be friends.
This is how progress is made, really - not by ignoring or staying quiet, but discussing and acting. Right or wrong, someone has to do something to start moving. The only difference is time will tell if we move forward or backward.

I'm holding out for forward. Thanks, Omni. It takes guts to be point blank and speak your mind.

3DS FC
0232-8353-5670
I disagree with your video, Omni, and as far as I can tell, the scene is doing fine and I'll label a few reasons why.

As with Smash history, it usually takes time for a rule-set to come together. We aren't divided as a community for disagreeing. .
This. How long did it take for the community to entirely ban items in the early melee days? Additionally, poeple were still playing rainbow cruise as late as '06 if i recall. Just because something isn't agreed upon in 3 months doesn't mean ANYTHING. It took me up until just last month to change my opinions on customs to where I think it's an overall good for the game.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
First: Don't comment if you didn't watch the video. The title is clickbait and makes it sound like he's hating on Smash 4.

He's right though in what he says. A big part of it is that there's just not a lot of veterans in the Smash 4 community. There's so many new players and so few veterans that it's hard for the new players to really get a feel for competitive mentalities (which is vital for real growth).

In the past, the growth rate was slow enough that players would be introduced in to a seasoned community and "scrub" mentalities would be dealt with pretty quickly. But with how fast Smash has grown, and with the low veteran-to-new-player ratio in Smash 4 specifically, the majority are new. And with this comes a lot of inexperienced/bad opinions that find traction because there's no established community to shoot them down, and even good ideas that split off in different directions because there's no community leadership.

And a lot of the new players are entering with League-like mentalities. Frequently-updated games inherently breed whiney attitudes because complaining actually can accomplish something while working hard to develop things can get you nerfed when you make your character better.

Honestly, I think the best thing any new Smash 4 player can do is read David Sirlin's book on competitive gaming, "Playing To Win". If this was required reading I think the community would work together 10x better.

"I'm gonna kill you Praxis!"

I didn't watch the video. I'm commenting because even if the competitive aspect dies, the casual won't. To say Smash 4 is gonna die is flat out wrong.

I already don't care for Omni, but I'm not even gonna bother wasting my time on this video.

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
Oh my goodness. This video was made to address the issues with the community, but it seems to be creating more. This was supposed to help us not hurt us!!!!
Everyone needs to back up from fanboying their own game and come together as a community. As a smash community as a whole! Not idol ozone one specific game over another

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex

Many people know @Omni for some of the vlogs he has released covering topics in smash Smash including Diddy Is Innocent, Overcoming Tournament Jitters, 3 Ways To Improve Your Smash Game, and others. His most recent vlog has brought up a lot of controversy and discussion throughout the community as it is titled Why Smash 4 Will Die. In the video, Omni discusses his thoughts on some of the things most detrimental to Smash 4 right now. Give it a watch!

The thoughts in this video bring up a lot for discussion. Hopefully people will stay civil as the community sits down to tackle issues going forward in the entirety of our Smash community.

@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill is always up to discuss anything related to Smash. Follow him on Twitter and start a discussion!
I think you're being far too defeatist about the game. By all means, I think Smash 4 feels a lot more on the defensive side, but that's only when melee becomes the natural comparison. Melee, WITH all of that 14 year old tech.
That kind of Melee has become almost synonymous with competitive smash for the last decade or so (I don't hate melee btw, but reliance on it's popularity is seriously screwing over smash 4).

Customs are a fantastic idea, and I am willing to let them play out until every Smasher is familiar with every combination through competitive play - there is literally no downside to seeing what it can do, and there are unbelievable downsides to ignoring them completely and playing the game with the prevalent mind-set that it can only be interesting if it's like melee.

This mind-set isn't explicitly intentional, but it's very visible.

Looking at the earlier matches, you can see so many players hopping on the ledge as if to edgehog, and spending the next few seconds awkwardly wondering what they are doing.

Most grab and kill combos for a lot of characters have not been developed because they don't feel reminiscent of Melee's combos. This is why Meta Knight, while significantly powerful in the competitive Brawl scene, is not hated by many players, as his play style and combos feel very, very nice to use, and are more similar to melee than perhaps any other character on the Brawl roster. Conversely, Diddy Kong has become the most quickly loathed character in the series for not only having an effective combo system that requires not much practice, but because it does not feel in any way similar to the incredibly technical follow-ups benefitted by Melees physics. It's the most blatant true combo in the game, and that's enough to make someone write a novella on why Diddy should be banned for 27 years.

This is primarily why Falco has been left in the dust by most players, even when it's pretty obvious to see that his move set was created through combining Falco's brawl moves with Wolf's moves. Thus, playing Falco like Brawl Wolf will grant more success than relying on a rather flaccid dair and a blaster obviously created for stalling airborne foes instead of damage racking and approaching.

This game is so very, very different from any game thus far in the series, and I'm not saying this solely for the gravitas, but because it features more customisation options than any other Smash title.

I don't blame you for stating your opinion, but I blame Leffen. Thanks for opening this discussion, the diverse opinions on the game need to be seen at the surface.

Last edited:

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I'll be honest, Omni is right. The same thing happened during the Brawl Era.

However, the difference is that the Brawl scene had a healthy scene and lasted for years.

I personally don't think Smash 4 won't die. I predict that it will go through the same steps as Brawl, unless the Smash 4 community either keeps complaining or stops playing Smash 4.

I'm still playing the game even to this day with customs (I love customs), and I'll keep playing it alongside MKX. i love Smash 4 more than Brawl with Melee, but I wish the whole community could just get along and just accept it for what Smash 4 is, whether you like it or not!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
@Omni

I'm speaking to you 1v1 just to have a discussion on this and what you presented in this video. I'm ignoring every other comment mostly because I want to speak to just you and not bait myself into debating with others, I would debate with Praxis if I did tbh, for some reason I disagree on almost anything I would talk to him about smash related. But enough of that.

First few things to note about me.

I enjoy Smash 4 more than any other smash game.
I think it is better than Brawl by a long shot and I made that my main game for 4-6 years.

Now onto the subject at hand, your video.

There is merit but I think you still need to consider the divide on rulesets is something that has happened in every game outside of maybe PM because the devs say what is legal and what is not for the most part. Might have some more TO influence but given how it is set-up it seems like they are working more hand in hand on that front. What makes this harder is that Smash 4 has a larger variance on what is possible for rulesets because it is far more open in options in that area.

4v4? No other smash game has that.
Customs? Nope.
Some of the stages? Not really though each game is different in this regard.

It has options people can use that honestly is a hotbutton issue and will be debated back and forth because that is what happened with every game. Remember Melee had items on way back when for a while.

People are crying OP customs because they aren't used to them like how people were mad about ADHD using Villager's custom set-ups, even though he only got fifth and lot to a lot of others while that top 8 was actually very diverse in terms of picks. This is going to happen because change will happen, and overtime this is something people will need to learn and get used to. People want to stay to the status quo of For Glory no customs but a lot of this is raw laziness and a lot of regions are pushing way harder to make customs legal. This is something I would push for because there is a lot of depth and potential gameplay possible in here for better and even for worse in some cases. It's clear where the community is on custom usage, 80%-90% want them legal as seen in polls. The issue will be unlocking and getting people to load them on. It will be a slow process but eventually I see this issue going away as more WiiUs get loaded up on this stuff.

People will settle on a time/stock count, most likely 2 stock 5-6 minutes, more likely 6. Might see some more variance but people seem to favor this kind of time and stock count just for fast matches, which is fine. Honestly smash is one of those games that goes longer than most in set count for games.

The defensive thing is overblown, a lot. People saying this game is worse than Brawl in that regard, I'm sorry but I can't take that seriously from my perspective. Projectiles and the defensive options in that game are far stronger than what you can do in smash 4. The defense is still there but it's been toned down a lot. Punishing an airdodge is more possible, we don't have a dumb planking rule to keep a character legal, we don't force offense to be so punishable you can lose a stock for even trying to approach. It doesn't reward projectiles to be so safe it's near impossible to get in on some characters. I agree defense is still there, but at least it's opened up to more playstyles, something I do not think Melee or Brawl are really in the middle instead going to one extreme or the other.

The community will come together on some level, that much is true for the rulesets. Some of the whining is going to be there but that happens with every game, even melee. Hell I whine and debate that LCancelling and Spacies always being top 5-10 in PM is to me ****ing stupid with balance bias and "cuz melee" design mentality. Still that's how it is for some people. They will whine and debate about things when really they need to accept what it is when they play the game they do. I still play PM to support it locally, but I still think some of the things I said on it are why I play other smash games over it, Smash 4/Melee, like you said in the video.

As for the death of smash 4, I don't agree. If it were happening we wouldn't be seeing Evo and APEX with the huge numbers they have/had. Tournaments are flourishing more than ever. Nintendo actually kind of gives a damn about smash now.

I really do not see death happening anytime soon. What I do find valid about your video is two things.
1. Whining instead of manning up and accepting it or finding a new game to play.
2. Unity in some kind of ruleset.

Those I find to be valid and I would rather see solutions to those which is what I found to be the most legitimate and interesting discussion points of your video. I find Smash 4 to be far more fun than Brawl was, and I'm not really interested in PM when I don't think it's going to support changes I would like to see done with it while it sits as what I view as trying it's hardest to just be a clone of melee with updated graphics instead of pushing for stronger and more likely what I find to be better changes. Melee has be fighting spacies almost all the time and eventually I kind get sick of of it. There isn't really an variance there and I feel like I am playing the same two match-ups almost all the time. Probably far worse than me fighting MK in Brawl.

So that's more or less why I sit with Smash 4 while I agree and disagree with your video. I hope you read this and consider my points.

PS. I want a yoga rematch on stream. :4wiifitm:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
WAT
Over half of the cast could react to the stomp and punish Ganondorf as soon as he approached with it. As well, it's still a very useful move for punishing, leading to locks at low percents and to the world and half if frame cancelled, and this time no character can Nair him before he tries to even grab him(at least with the frame cancel, otherwise some characters might be able to).
So imagine how useful an auto-canceled Dair would have been in Smash 4 with the increased hitstun. Brawl Dorf didn't have much else for approach options other than dash attack, Flame Choke, and Wiz Kick, all of which were just as easily punished as the stomp. My point is that now that the stomp cannot be auto-canceled, it takes one viable option Ganon had back in Brawl.

AnTMaN_76

Smash Rookie
NNID
AnTMaN_1999
3DS FC
0275-8515-2986
I just wish that people would just play smash 4 for smash 4. people always complain when they loose to a diddy or sheik but instead of trying to better themselves they just go online and complain about how OP a certain character is but if it was a character that you liked i HIGHLY DOUBT that you would be complaining. OMNI i agree with you about the community but NOT about how smash 4 should just be played casually but not cometitive. But this is with any game no matter HOW GOOD A GAME IS THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE A CERTAIN THING IN THE GAME PEOPLE ALWAYS COMPLAIN. I main link and eventhough he isn't like a diddy i still play him and when i loose to diddys i See WHAT I DID WRONG AND IMPROVE ON MY MISTAKES. ITS NOT THE GAME ITS THE COMPLAINERS IN THE COMMUNITY IF YOUR JUST GOING TO COMPLAIN THEN SMASH 4 ISN'T FOR YOU YOUR RUINING THE COMMUNITY.

AnTMaN_76

Smash Rookie
NNID
AnTMaN_1999
3DS FC
0275-8515-2986
@Omni

I'm speaking to you 1v1 just to have a discussion on this and what you presented in this video. I'm ignoring every other comment mostly because I want to speak to just you and not bait myself into debating with others, I would debate with Praxis if I did tbh, for some reason I disagree on almost anything I would talk to him about smash related. But enough of that.

I think it is better than Brawl by a long shot and I made that my main game for 4-6 years.

There is merit but I think you still need to consider the divide on rulesets is something that has happened in every game outside of maybe PM because the devs say what is legal and what is not for the most part. Might have some more TO influence but given how it is set-up it seems like they are working more hand in hand on that front. What makes this harder is that Smash 4 has a larger variance on what is possible for rulesets because it is far more open in options in that area.

Customs? Nope.

It has options people can use that honestly is a hotbutton issue and will be debated back and forth because that is what happened with every game. Remember Melee had items on way back when for a while.

People are crying OP customs because they aren't used to them like how people were mad about ADHD using Villager's custom set-ups, even though he only got fifth and lot to a lot of others while that top 8 was actually very diverse in terms of picks. This is going to happen because change will happen, and overtime this is something people will need to learn and get used to. People want to stay to the status quo of For Glory no customs but a lot of this is raw laziness and a lot of regions are pushing way harder to make customs legal. This is something I would push for because there is a lot of depth and potential gameplay possible in here for better and even for worse in some cases. It's clear where the community is on custom usage, 80%-90% want them legal as seen in polls. The issue will be unlocking and getting people to load them on. It will be a slow process but eventually I see this issue going away as more WiiUs get loaded up on this stuff.

People will settle on a time/stock count, most likely 2 stock 5-6 minutes, more likely 6. Might see some more variance but people seem to favor this kind of time and stock count just for fast matches, which is fine. Honestly smash is one of those games that goes longer than most in set count for games.

The defensive thing is overblown, a lot. People saying this game is worse than Brawl in that regard, I'm sorry but I can't take that seriously from my perspective. Projectiles and the defensive options in that game are far stronger than what you can do in smash 4. The defense is still there but it's been toned down a lot. Punishing an airdodge is more possible, we don't have a dumb planking rule to keep a character legal, we don't force offense to be so punishable you can lose a stock for even trying to approach. It doesn't reward projectiles to be so safe it's near impossible to get in on some characters. I agree defense is still there, but at least it's opened up to more playstyles, something I do not think Melee or Brawl are really in the middle instead going to one extreme or the other.

The community will come together on some level, that much is true for the rulesets. Some of the whining is going to be there but that happens with every game, even melee. Hell I whine and debate that LCancelling and Spacies always being top 5-10 in PM is to me ****ing stupid with balance bias and "cuz melee" design mentality. Still that's how it is for some people. They will whine and debate about things when really they need to accept what it is when they play the game they do. I still play PM to support it locally, but I still think some of the things I said on it are why I play other smash games over it, Smash 4/Melee, like you said in the video.

As for the death of smash 4, I don't agree. If it were happening we wouldn't be seeing Evo and APEX with the huge numbers they have/had. Tournaments are flourishing more than ever. Nintendo actually kind of gives a damn about smash now.

I really do not see death happening anytime soon. What I do find valid about your video is two things.
1. Whining instead of manning up and accepting it or finding a new game to play.

Those I find to be valid and I would rather see solutions to those which is what I found to be the most legitimate and interesting discussion points of your video. I find Smash 4 to be far more fun than Brawl was, and I'm not really interested in PM when I don't think it's going to support changes I would like to see done with it while it sits as what I view as trying it's hardest to just be a clone of melee with updated graphics instead of pushing for stronger and more likely what I find to be better changes. Melee has be fighting spacies almost all the time and eventually I kind get sick of of it. There isn't really an variance there and I feel like I am playing the same two match-ups almost all the time. Probably far worse than me fighting MK in Brawl.

So that's more or less why I sit with Smash 4 while I agree and disagree with your video. I hope you read this and consider my points.

@Omni

Customs? Nope.

Smash 4 is my favorite out of the bunch to. you want to 1v1?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
We aren't divided as a community for disagreeing, we are merely debating as a community because this game has new things added to it like Custom Moves which is honestly such a new twist on Smash Bros. that even I wasn't a fan of it at first until I played with it myself and realized the possibilities.
"Merely debating" is an understatement to the crap flingers I've seen and been part of.

tbh, I think the game is fine with Customs off or on, but some of the responses I've seen throughout the past months (particularly in ADHD's post on the competitive board and Seagull Joe's comments in the Competitive Discussion thread) have gotten pretty heated and aggressive.

All this attitude is going to accomplish, imo, is a community split.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Quite frankly this video should not have been given the air time it has, attention needs to be given to warranted assertions and good logic and consistenxy, and not to this crap by some guy that one person thinks we should all listen to. As far as I'm concerned this silly video does not even exist and I'm going about my business.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
For those who are throwing custom moves as a negative into an argument, if the Dissidia community can have a competitive base with their custom sets, including equipment, there's no reason to believe Smash 4 can't thrive on custom moves alone, barring equipment altogether.
wait
there's a dissida community?
huh.
In all seriousness, I completely agree with you. If Dissida can do it, why can't we? Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go look up the Dissida community. *grabs vita*

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Smash 4 is in it's infancy, so saying it's going to "die" this early on seems incredibly odd. Let's put the idea another way; would anybody 14 years ago say that Melee would be the competetive juggernaut it is now?

Probably not, because the game had yet to mature and for it's depth to fully be explored. Smash 4 is basically the new baby Melee; we don't know how deep of a game it is, we don't know how competetively viable things are. That's why stuff like custom move experimentation is important; it's much better for all tournaments if they know how well the game plays in a competetive match. For a game like Brawl, people experimented with it, saw it was just not made for high-level tournament play and only really started playing it again when Project M came out.

Here, it's a matter of finding out how deep the game is and how well it plays competetively; this is basically a possibility to get a second Melee in some regard. But if we keep hollering doom-'n-gloom about it, everyone's just going to just shy away from it; and if we don't know the game's depth, then that could be a gem we never saw because of the doom-'n-gloom.

And Melee had it's time to shine, but Smash 4 is the new kid that needs to prove itself; so unfairly comparing the two very different games is just destined to make Smash 4 look worse.

But then again, this is the Smash community we're talking about; nobody agrees on anything in this place. :p

BuTTNutz

Smash Apprentice
LMFAO @ that thumbnail.

Pretty sure this is going to be me when I return later to seeing everyone use basic logic to refute my points.

Omni you have amazing points and I completely agree with you, This community needs to sort itself out. There are problems with the smash 4 community but I don't think It will kill it, just hurt it severely

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I didn't have to watch it. If you're saying "Smash 4 must die", that's supporting Melee. Therefore, Omni is the enemy.
I didn't realize it was every melee players secret agenda to kill smash4. I thought we just really liked melee.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
Quite frankly this video should not have been given the air time it has, attention needs to be given to warranted assertions and good logic and consistenxy, and not to this crap by some guy that one person thinks we should all listen to. As far as I'm concerned this silly video does not even exist and I'm going about my business.
than why did you even bother to comment?

Top Bottom