• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Matchup Thread (Old thread)

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Fox isn't too bad, you just have to play very carefully and respect the fact that he can reflect your smashes and rush you down easily. You can space him just like any other character. Mario is just annoying to go against, as anyone, but again, just respect the fact that he can reflect.
I don't play many Shiek's or Peach's online or off, so I can't really add too much... Shiek's Side B is really annoying, and her Kunai stop our Pikmen... She's not too bad to fight, but I haven't played against a über tier Shiek yet.

Now, while Megaspam and Mario are really annoying to fight against, nothing compares to Link. His sword spaces us and kills our Pikmen easily. His boomerang and arrows will stop anything that's not purple. Our Pikmen will carry any of his bombs back to us and have them blow up in our face. He's a real pain to fight, but whenever I go against a good one and I get serious... It honestly seems like a 50/50, anyone else think that?

I play Larry Lurr all the time and this MU is very very bad. He's the only fox I've lost to in this game, but he knows the MU and it's very bad.

Link is pretty easy, Toon link is much harder.

Mario can combo us for days and also has the hard read reflects to kill us at 40%.

Sheik is literally the worst MU in the game though. She can literally fast fall any aerial on our shield and begin f-tilting without any way for us to punish. Now I beat most sheiks, but if they are good/know the MU they will win every single time.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Sorry to bring up Villager again, but I seem to be having a difficult time managing a couple of his attacks.

The first little combo he does is he launches a Lloid rocket, and then follows right behind it with his potted plant dash attack. This seems to make a long enough hitbox that I can't spot dodge through all of it. If I try and shield, then he is right there to bury me and drop the bowling ball on my face. Right now the only thing I see to try is jumping over it, but he usually follows and hits me with a slingshot causing me to fall into the rocket. I know I need to stop playing like a bad and dodge through the slingshot, I just wanted to see if you had other options.

Also, if he has you on the ledge then he can sprout up the tree which can take a stock if you try to get up on the stage from there. The easiest way to get out is to use his up b and fly over it, but that leaves you pretty vulnerable while trying to get back to the ground.
You just need to throw a lot of pikmin and kill the lloyd rocket. Pivot grab/ Shield grab the dash attack.

As for the Tree don't die to it. Go across the bottom of the stage or just dodge it and land with an attack.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I don't play many Shiek's or Peach's online or off, so I can't really add too much... Shiek's Side B is really annoying, and her Kunai stop our Pikmen... She's not too bad to fight, but I haven't played against a über tier Shiek yet.
I can confirm that Peach is a difficult MU. Her aerials hit fairly hard; her fair hits for 15% fresh and is a KO move. Her floating ability means that she can autocancel her aerials if the opponent does it correctly, and even if she doesn't, her aerials have naturally low landing lag. The Pikmin's low priority is much more of a weakness in this matchup because the aerials hitboxes clank and still hit Olimar. The only weakness I can see in Peach's aerials is that her fair has a bit of startup and her nair/bair leaves her vulnerable if it hits a shield. The worst part of the MU is Peach's sass, and there's nothing you can do against that.

I haven't fought a Shiek yet, but going off on how she just plays in theory, Olimar has a definite disadvantage in this MU.

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
I play Larry Lurr all the time and this MU is very very bad. He's the only fox I've lost to in this game, but he knows the MU and it's very bad.

Link is pretty easy, Toon link is much harder.

Mario can combo us for days and also has the hard read reflects to kill us at 40%.

Sheik is literally the worst MU in the game though. She can literally fast fall any aerial on our shield and begin f-tilting without any way for us to punish. Now I beat most sheiks, but if they are good/know the MU they will win every single time.
I think the Fox matchup is about even, or slightly in his favor, but it's not a terrible matchup, just a little difficult.

I will contest the link differences, Toon Link is way easier than Link, we don't have to get close to TL and can out camp him, Link has a lot of options that keep us away, stop our Pikmen, and kill our Pikmen... While also doing good damage, and good knockback.
Mario isn't that bad, you just have to really respect his obvious kill options and his cape, he's just another unfun character to go against.

I agree with Sheik though, even bad ones can give you a tough time, I haven't fought a good one yet but she certainly does seem like one of our worst matchup's.
I can confirm that Peach is a difficult MU. Her aerials hit fairly hard; her fair hits for 15% fresh and is a KO move. Her floating ability means that she can autocancel her aerials if the opponent does it correctly, and even if she doesn't, her aerials have naturally low landing lag. The Pikmin's low priority is much more of a weakness in this matchup because the aerials hitboxes clank and still hit Olimar. The only weakness I can see in Peach's aerials is that her fair has a bit of startup and her nair/bair leaves her vulnerable if it hits a shield. The worst part of the MU is Peach's sass, and there's nothing you can do against that.
Well that's just peachy. :cool:

I've played against a few Peach's, just not as Olimar, but can she use toad if Pikmen are on her?

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I've played against a few Peach's, just not as Olimar, but can she use toad if Pikmen are on her?
The Peach that I played with never used Toad, but assuming it works like Marth's counter any latched Pikmin will probably trigger Toad. This goes for any counter move: Greninja's Substitute, Shulk's Vision, Lucario's Double Team, Little Mac's Slip Counter, Lucina's and Palutena's counter moves that can be counted on, countedly named Counter, etc.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
A friend of mine plays some Peach. My general game plan is pretty standard. Make her approach by throwing Pikmin at her. Peach can be pretty aggressive, but she generally needs turnips to be very effective/approach. Turnip pulls can be punished by Pikmin throw. Floating can be punished by Pikmin Throw. Use purples to mount approaches. Down throw setplay for days. Watch out for her big forward air. It can kill early and has some armor iirc. It's a generally safe/strong move that will likely be thrown out a lot. Stay outside her effective range (about where down smash/float nair/down tilt comes out) and use disjoints on forward smash, fair, etc. to keep her at bay. Just generally respect her moves, some have disjointed range (dash attack especially, which has 2 hits btw) and do Olimar things. She can get feisty offstage with float aerials, but recover low, she cannot go too far down after you. It seems very doable, maybe even in Oli's favor. It needs more testing though.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
dash attack
I forgot how annoying this move is. The simple way to not take damage from it is to just shield, yet I can not get myself to shield it and just let myself get KO'd around 130-140%.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Having trouble against the megaman olimar mu. Against that one special megaman who spams short hop pellets to you. Is there anything that out-prioritizes the pellets? I know that when megaman has a latched pikmin he can't side-smash but he removes the pikmin with those pellets :c. Cost me last saturday local tourney in grand finals T.T. Megaman is a nightmare to me. What can I do as Olimar in general? I can handle other megaman playstyles but not that one that spams short hop pellets and juggles with uair.
I was waiting for my chance against a good MegaMan and I have to say it's a tough one.
Here is just my experiencie about this MU.

I know 2 basic ways that people play MegaMan.
Bomb-Blade-Grab type:
This one is a pain in the #$% because tends to repeat the same move every time. Bomb -> Blade -> Run-grab-pummel -> whatever it goes.
You can counter the pellet with a Pikmin latched. The throwing blade with a shield BUT he will be running to you trying to grab you.
The thing is avoid the blade (short hop, roll, shield, smash, F-B whatever) and get ready for dodging or punishing the attempt to grab you.
Megaman has a slower starter Dsmash than you and it does only damage with flames at both sides when they light up (careful with that), so you can escape. Also it has a big ending lag.
His Fsmash is totally disabled by: a Pikmin latched on, Fsmash and also F-B. The best thing to do is timing the end of that and punish.​
Bomb-Pellet, Dash and Uair type:
This one is a little bit easier because you have to do less things in order to block this game, because you will be struggling to get close.
The main thing to do F-B, that solves almost everything. If he tries to get off the Pikmin, you should get closer and do whatever you can. He probably will be dashing attack or Dtilt so keep and eye on that; shield, roll or any other move with help.
Same thing with the bomb as the previous MM.
If you get caught by the tornado/whirlwind, you will need to air dodge. If its a good MM, he will be going after you, try to Fair some attemps or instead, near the floor but not at a punishment height, use U-B and land safe with a Nair.​

Some advanced players can-should correct me :).

Last edited:

Veskah

Smash Rookie
I didn't have much time to test it, but will only the purple pikmin send DeDeDe's spike ball back at him?

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
guys did you speak about the zero suit samus MU?

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I didn't have much time to test it, but will only the purple pikmin send DeDeDe's spike ball back at him?
If you throw it (Fspecial), yes.

guys did you speak about the zero suit samus MU?
I think we haven't. Is a kind of tricky because is fast but no that much. A lot of reads and know how she hits will help.
Here's my experience about Zero Suit Samus ZZS.
The jumping ZSS:
This one is annoying but I haven't seen many of them. It's good to know, but don't worry to much anyway.
The best thing is try to position at the middle of the Flip Jump (Dspecial) and try to Uair the movement near the 90°. Be carefull doing that because if you repeat that several times, your enemy will try to land his kick in that degree.
Most of the time they will land with a Plasma Whip or a Gun Shot. Shield, dodge or jump the Plasma and act asap. If it's a Gun Shot, get ready because the next move is a Dash Attack, Smash or a Grab. If you succeeded at jumping, land with a Nair and then Utilt is a good choice.
It's get tricky when they start jumping all over the stage, but consider the 3th jump and shield your approach when she's landing. It's highly probably she will kick near the floor landing or whenever caught you jumping too.​
Gun shot - Grab - Any other thing:
If you shield the gun shot you will get grabbed anyway, so if you are on a good distance I will recommend rolling forward and then punish that high ending lag of grab.
If you get grabbed, try to move forward in the air and dodging the obviously air attack that is coming. If you success, fast falling and run to punish the landing of ZSS. If she's a good one, might try a Dair to fast fall and do some damage, careful with that because has 2 hits. Even though is a risky move because of the landing lag that suffer too.
I think the best thing is try to always have 2 pikmins for a Dsmash and a good positioning may give you the advantage, also don't forget to latch some Pikmin too.
Another good advice is to get up from the floor backwards so you don't easier her job approaching you.​

Some advanced players can-should correct me :).

Last edited:

Veskah

Smash Rookie
Anyone have some tips for the mega man matchup? I know I can avoid most of his combo string by blocking that sticky bomb he shoots at you, I'm just curious if there are any tried and true things that work well against him.

Edit: Don't mind me. I'm blind and didn't see 3 posts up.

Last edited:

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I don't know if anyone knew this but :4villager: can pocket thrown (as in Side B) Pikmin. Once he has them I believe Olimar can't pluck another and as soon as Villager unpockets it the Pikmin instantly dies. That could be a super hard counter.
Fsmash also rips right through Gyroid and keeps going to hit Villager if it survives. Just throwing that out there, since Villagers seem to rely on it for cover while they approach.
Villager could use it to manipulate Oli's line by pocketing only certain pikmin or use it in defense, but a decent Oli knows how to manage.

EDIT: Wow, didn't realize I was on the wrong page. Sorry. ><

Last edited:

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have advice on the MU vs Yoshi? because I'm always having a tough time against Yoshi. His air-game is of course hilarious, but even on the ground, I somehow don't really get him punished. I feel like it's one of the hardest MUs for Olimar.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
I know this is kind of out there to ask, but I have a buddy who I can beat 90% of the time except when he plays Olimar. He is such a god at Olimar, and I can't beat him with any of my mains, being Ness, Captain Falcon, Mega Man and Marth. I actually beat him with Link a few times even though I don't play Link at all but that's because he doesn't know the matchup at all. If you want I can explain his playstyle, but I just need to know how I can exploit Olimar's weaknesses, because I can't pin his weaknesses down at all. Any tips for me?

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Force Olimar to approach or overwhelm him with aggressive pressure. The Captain can keep up his aggressive game if he doesn't let Olimar put down his punish game first. Pellets from Mega Man help out in zoning; keep in mind that reds and yellows can cancel out Crash Bomber and Fsmash without them dying.
Keeping Olimar in the air will put him in a situation with limited options, due to the weird priority with his aerials.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Okay so after playing with my crew over the past few months I have had a lot of match-up experience with I wide array of characters but I seem to really struggle with the Shiek and Samus match-up. When I'm facing Shiek and she starts her throw combos I can't seem to get my feet back on the ground easily, in fact the last match I played I had to Up-B camp by going around the stage many times until he missed a punish. If Shiek is on the ground though I can do fairly well by just keeping my distance, spacing my smashes and what not. But once that first grab comes out it basically becomes a game of tag and it's annoying, boring, and destroys my entire game plan.
I have sort of different issues with Samus and I can't pin down exactally why I do poorly against her though I do think I need to spam more Pikmin to negate her projectiles.

Any advice in these two match-ups?

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Okay so after playing with my crew over the past few months I have had a lot of match-up experience with I wide array of characters but I seem to really struggle with the Shiek and Samus match-up. When I'm facing Shiek and she starts her throw combos I can't seem to get my feet back on the ground easily, in fact the last match I played I had to Up-B camp by going around the stage many times until he missed a punish. If Shiek is on the ground though I can do fairly well by just keeping my distance, spacing my smashes and what not. But once that first grab comes out it basically becomes a game of tag and it's annoying, boring, and destroys my entire game plan.
I have sort of different issues with Samus and I can't pin down exactally why I do poorly against her though I do think I need to spam more Pikmin to negate her projectiles.

I truly believe shiek is the hardest mu in the game for olimar. I haven't figured it out yet. But I really only lose to K9 so I guess I don't know.

Force Samus to approach you or to waste time getting pikmin off herself and punish.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Reds and yellows will stop missiles and Charge Shots, respectively. It should be easy to outcamp her and rack up damage with Pikmin Throw and fsmashes.
Her roll is a bit slow, so it's a bit easier to punish with pivot grabs/smashes. Watch for dtilt and Screw Attack since they come out fast and have solid knockback.

I have no experience on Shiek.

Veskah

Smash Rookie
Lately I've been seeing a lot of Falco and Zelda on For Glory. I have a hard time dealing with them or and character that has and spams reflect. How do you guys deal with people who sit and spam reflect all day, or just have the reflect handy anytime you try and attack?

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Lately I've been seeing a lot of Falco and Zelda on For Glory. I have a hard time dealing with them or and character that has and spams reflect. How do you guys deal with people who sit and spam reflect all day, or just have the reflect handy anytime you try and attack?
If they spam the reflector, go for the grabs. D-Throw + Fair is always useful. You can make the damage easy with grabcombos even if they go all day for the reflector. To get the kill, make sure to punish a roll with the down smash or get the up-throw kill with a blue pikmin. I think to go for an f-smash is risky against a reflector character, so better think twice. I wouldn't recommand going for an up-smash either. It's not like Olimar has no other killoptions. Also his side-tilt becomes a killoption at high %. So side-tilt, the up-throw kill and even going for a bair/fair offstage can work out and you do not risk to be killed by your own pikmins.
This is at least what I do. I am very careful about when to use an f-smash. You have to give the opponent the feeling it would be a waste of time to wait for a smash attack they want to reflect. You can give this impression by just not smashing around. In that case, a smash attack can at least be hard to predict. Of course as said you can also decide to go the "safe" way with other killoptions such as side-tilt and up-throw(with blue Pikmin of course).

Hope the advices are helpful.

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
Against a Ness I realized that it is pretty easy to prevent him from recovering or gimping with PK Thunder. Side-B easily can instantly despawn the lightning if you hit itand if you are the one recovering sideways you could get free damage during his lag. Just don't blindly throw them while you are recovering. Wait until you actually SEE the ball.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys, the Toon Link board is currently discussing the Olimar match-up, so if anyone has anything to say about it, you can do so here.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Force Samus to approach you or to waste time getting pikmin off herself and punish.
Yeah I did the make Samus approach method and my friend loves to either approach with Dash Atack or a grab and I just can't react in time with a shield if he Dash Attacks or with jump/roll if he grabs. Even if I do get lucky and predict it I still have a lot of trouble punishing as Samus' Dash Attack on shield as it can cross you up and the grab since it has a deceptive amount of active frames and range.

What should I do in this situation?

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Yeah I did the make Samus approach method and my friend loves to either approach with Dash Atack or a grab and I just can't react in time with a shield if he Dash Attacks or with jump/roll if he grabs. Even if I do get lucky and predict it I still have a lot of trouble punishing as Samus' Dash Attack on shield as it can cross you up and the grab since it has a deceptive amount of active frames and range.

What should I do in this situation?
You should be pivot grabbing it or if you're shielding it just roll away

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
You should be pivot grabbing it or if you're shielding it just roll away
Unfortunately pivot grabbing with the game pad and 3DS is really difficult and inconsistent a majority of the time. I don't want to use a GGC cause that may mess me up in other games like PM and Melee.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Unfortunately pivot grabbing with the game pad and 3DS is really difficult and inconsistent a majority of the time. I don't want to use a GGC cause that may mess me up in other games like PM and Melee.
If you're limiting how you can play with certain controllers, because you don't wanna have it influence other games then maybe Smash 4 isn't what you should be worrying about. You should be able to fluidly do the commands you need to with the controller you play with.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
If you're limiting how you can play with certain controllers, because you don't wanna have it influence other games then maybe Smash 4 isn't what you should be worrying about. You should be able to fluidly do the commands you need to with the controller you play with.
Okay, still need a GGC adapter though.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Okay, still need a GGC adapter though.
Well there is the play asia one that plugs into the wiimote for a single port, and then the may flash one. Assuming you can't get your hands on a nintendo one. Alternatively you could buy a pro controller.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Well there is the play asia one that plugs into the wiimote for a single port, and then the may flash one. Assuming you can't get your hands on a nintendo one. Alternatively you could buy a pro controller.
I'll see what I can do.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
Hey MU for toon link? Any suggestion?

andilex

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0232-8508-7675
what a about the Lucario match up?
I feel as once aura is available.
there's nothing really olimar can do

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
Okay, so looking at Rob initially I thought Oli would have the advantage simply because of Robs size, but recently I've noticed in tournament Oli seems to struggle with Rob and just yesterday I was in tournament doing just fine until I had to fight a Rob and got kind of bodied. Then I had to fight another in losers and got knocked out. Any thoughts on this? I think his neutral air is really good at like taking advantage of that little diagonal window of weakness that Oli has. I don't know, it's weird, what do you guys think about this?

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
what a about the Lucario match up?
I feel as once aura is available.
there's nothing really olimar can do
I mean, he can still do all the same things, you just gotta give him a lotta respect. I recommend keeping a purple at 80%^ and really paying attention to his habits so you can try to kill him early with a hard read, I know it's kind of obvious but killing him early is key and it's kind of hard to gimp Lucario.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Hey MU for toon link? Any suggestion?
I made a long write-up over in the Toon Link Match-up Thread, but I'm not positive if the info holds up being that only one of my friends plays Tink.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
im having a hard time with a :4robinm: can i get some tips ?
When facing Robin you wanna try to close the distance between you and him as much as possible, Olimar does a tremendous job at out spacing him and can dispel him quickly. If your not so comfortable going in then the Pikmin Toss camping is a fantastic option for baiting him in, as the Pikmin can stop Arc Fire, Thunder, Arc Thunder, and Ell Thunder. It seems weird but I found that the best way to take down a Robin is for you to be in his face stopping him from spouting out projectiles. Don't be too reckless though cause you could get hit with a meaty punish if you leave your self open.

Adrian6625

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adrian662
When facing Robin you wanna try to close the distance between you and him as much as possible, Olimar does a tremendous job at out spacing him and can dispel him quickly. If your not so comfortable going in then the Pikmin Toss camping is a fantastic option for baiting him in, as the Pikmin can stop Arc Fire, Thunder, Arc Thunder, and Ell Thunder. It seems weird but I found that the best way to take down a Robin is for you to be in his face stopping him from spouting out projectiles. Don't be too reckless though cause you could get hit with a meaty punish if you leave your self open.
OK man thanks ill try my best!

Top Bottom