• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Matchup Thread (Old thread)

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I'm starting to get into online friendlies, and today I'm having trouble with Kirby lately. I think I'm not playing the matchup correctly; I'm getting too aggressive in close quarters rather than wait to punish his approaches. However, I seem to go for the punish right as Kirby rolls instead of waiting for the roll or the defensive option, and it's hard for me to change the habit. Any advice on this and what I should do in the matchup overall?

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Pivot smashes,tilts and grabs. Yellows are nice for the longer hitbox and tiny bit more range for fsmash. Avoid getting sucked up,matchup becomes kirby's favor but not entirely impossible. Like always purples make everything better :) Punish dash attk it has alotta end lag. CQC use jab for tthose specific situations. For rolls wait for them to do it then pivot or literally just charge the smash when they roll towards you. Random Nair's are nice too! Oh and for habit changing sometimes just standing and doing nothing at all to pause and think as like a random stop in thought might help thats what I do..although its hella risky tho sometimes doing nothing is mindgames within itself..

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
This is more of a general question than a Kirby-related question, but what are my options when an opponent approaches from the air or with a short hop? I noticed that the people I've been fighting in my friendlies tend to approach from above to mitigate Olimar's ground control, especially for Kirby who approaches with Dair to set up combos/strings.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
This is more of a general question than a Kirby-related question, but what are my options when an opponent approaches from the air or with a short hop? I noticed that the people I've been fighting in my friendlies tend to approach from above to mitigate Olimar's ground control, especially for Kirby who approaches with Dair to set up combos/strings.
Pivoting is your best friend at this thing. I don't know a best way to punish this kind of behave besides of pivot smash/grab/tilt.

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Pivot smashes,tilts and grabs. Yellows are nice for the longer hitbox and tiny bit more range for fsmash. Avoid getting sucked up,matchup becomes kirby's favor but not entirely impossible. Like always purples make everything better :) Punish dash attk it has alotta end lag. CQC use jab for tthose specific situations. For rolls wait for them to do it then pivot or literally just charge the smash when they roll towards you. Random Nair's are nice too1
You could yolo upsmash oos or nair oos,and those purples to disrupt their approaches too, oos options can be risky use them as a mix up

Last edited:

enemyanemone

Smash Rookie
i've been a lurker for the longest time and i've finally signed up in complete and utter frustration/saltiness to get some help.

for the life of me i just CANNOT deal with Sheik. My friend mains her and plays REALLY really well, and i have the hardest time trying to keep up with how fast and aggressive she is. read the previous pages and i have to confirm that she is definitely one of, if not the hardest matchup for Olimar.

i've 2-stocked my friend once in the first time that we played together competitively, but now i get wrecked so hard that i just curse the heavens every time i face him in our weekly tournaments. (and inevitably get sent to loser's)

any tips? the best I've gathered in our playtimes so far is to keep yellows (aerial hitbox trumps her insane fairs) and purples to stop her approaches.

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
i've been a lurker for the longest time and i've finally signed up in complete and utter frustration/saltiness to get some help.

for the life of me i just CANNOT deal with Sheik. My friend mains her and plays REALLY really well, and i have the hardest time trying to keep up with how fast and aggressive she is. read the previous pages and i have to confirm that she is definitely one of, if not the hardest matchup for Olimar.

i've 2-stocked my friend once in the first time that we played together competitively, but now i get wrecked so hard that i just curse the heavens every time i face him in our weekly tournaments. (and inevitably get sent to loser's)

any tips? the best I've gathered in our playtimes so far is to keep yellows (aerial hitbox trumps her insane fairs) and purples to stop her approaches.
Uh. I think this has been discussed before but Powershielding vs sheik is one of the best things to do and then punish (Upsmash oos?, nair oos,fsmash/downsmash oos), but even doing so isn't easy and you gotta alternate between spot dodges, maybe a few rolls, etc also for the annyoing fair try to DI away from it or at least not in a predictable fashion and maybe saving your jump to jump away from Sheik if shes put u up in the air if u havent already used it ,people may suggest whistle but the timing is so strict that I personally don't find it that reliable. Like most matchups pivot fsmashes/grabs are key to this matchup (in addition to your comment about yellows and purples) ,respecting her aerial game but at the same time adding in random fair's, bair's and also mixing up recovery back to the stage, you especially gotta keep in mind that they can edge guard with 2 common options with bouncing fish and a bair to the stage both of which will most likely have u lose a stock. Also spacing yourself and keeping her out is a good thing to try to maintain even tho its difficult..the best options sheik has when u space yourself is dash attk/dash grab/bouncing fish/needles.. I personally camp with pikmin and shield if a sheik decides to camp with needles its just free dmg for us until they decide to approach...Sheik is one of our worst matchup's on paper as already stated. Having a good mental state of mind calmly reacting and predicting to sheik is what I feel like we must do agains't her more in comparison to much of the cast...but again easier said than done. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
So I've come to the conclusion after talking with numerous Sheik players that Olimar loses the matchup normally. Once he gets 2 purples though I'd say it becomes a 50-50. Purples allow you to always have something to keep Sheik out when you're moving around or want to approach.

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Anyone have any matchup advice or tools we could use agains't dark pit and pit ? I find it really difficult to land when im facing these guys in the hands of players who know what theyre doing especially that Dash attack that always seems to intercept my landings :facepalm::happysheep:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
You guys should consider an index or linking to specific parts of the thread or even quoting relevant parts of the discussion for corresponding characters so people don't have to hunt through the whole thread or search to find basic MU information.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
You guys should consider an index or linking to specific parts of the thread or even quoting relevant parts of the discussion for corresponding characters so people don't have to hunt through the whole thread or search to find basic MU information.
That would be a goal, except we don't really have any concise discussion for most characters. A lot of time it's just a few people adding a thing or two.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
That would be a goal, except we don't really have any concise discussion for most characters. A lot of time it's just a few people adding a thing or two.
We really need to schematize this thread or just maybe do a new one.

MrHakuchu

Smash Rookie
NNID
PikminHaku
I have a question about the Yoshi Match Up. What can I do to win against Yoshi? Or am I ****ed up and can't really win the Match Up?

Last edited:

kirby509

Smash Cadet
How do you play against Ness? He has the ability to kill all of our pikmin and outprioritizes us.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
How do you play against Ness? He has the ability to kill all of our pikmin and outprioritizes us.
In my opinion the red pikmin will be your friend. Ness often uses PK Fire and the red pikmin won't be killed by pk fire and instead go through pk fire. So for pikmin throw, use the red and yellow ones. (yellow only if he tries to keep you with pk thunder away) Also the red one is nice for an fsmash through pk fire. (As Ness likes to grab you after pk fire or at least to hit you with something; so a fire-resistent smash would be a nice surprise)

If you have other pikmin colors, I feel like you have to throw them from a "diagonal" position(so in general from in the air on his head)

Also in general keep yourself away from Ness. I've practiced the MU much lately and keeping your distance is very important for this one. Your grabrange is a big issue as you will be exposed for pk fire. So I would only go for grabs if you're almost sure your ennemy won't go for pk fire in that moment.

@ MrHakuchu MrHakuchu
I have many problems against Yoshi too. Purple pikmins are always nice to have against Yoshi to keep him away and punish him for approaching. Also it seems pivot grabs and pivot smashes are important especially to punish his strong aerials. However I still feel like it's really hard to win against Yoshi. His egg throw i.e. is pretty hard to punish in my opinion. And Yoshi's nair kills attached pikmins pretty fast.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina is now analyzing Olimar (and Alph) at her match-up analysis thread. If you have anything to contribute for the Rosalina vs. Olimar match-up, Olimar will be analyzed until the end of 4/8.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
just a thought, but as @ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology mentioned earlier, we need links to matchup discussions for quicker access of information. Look at the Rosalina matchup thread up above.... this is god like and what we should be aiming to do.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
EDIT: Wrong thread. Please delete this post if possible.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Sorry about not responding to much guys, I've been really busy with some personal things lately. If you guys wouldn't mind waiting till like Friday I'd be more than happy to discuss it then.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
ehm guys someoen can post votes for the discussion of the MU (Like rosalina 50 olimar 50 ecc) just edit the first stage with all the discussion :D

kirby509

Smash Cadet
Sorry for asking another "how to deal with" question, but how do you deal with Link?

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for asking another "how to deal with" question, but how do you deal with Link?
I usually shield his projectiles and throw pikmin at his head. Then wait and look how he's reacting to this. If he's trying to kill the pikmin with a move, get close to him but still stay out of his range barely in order to punish him right afterwards with a dashgrab. If he's going for aerials you should go for pivot grabs. When running away, look if he's following you as there might be an occasion for a pivot grab again. Also pivot fsmashes are great if he's trying to approach in any way.

Btw a general question: I usually punish missed techs with a dash attack. Does Olimar have any other viable option? Not sure, maybe I should try out running upsmash.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I usually shield his projectiles and throw pikmin at his head. Then wait and look how he's reacting to this. If he's trying to kill the pikmin with a move, get close to him but still stay out of his range barely in order to punish him right afterwards with a dashgrab. If he's going for aerials you should go for pivot grabs. When running away, look if he's following you as there might be an occasion for a pivot grab again. Also pivot fsmashes are great if he's trying to approach in any way.

Btw a general question: I usually punish missed techs with a dash attack. Does Olimar have any other viable option? Not sure, maybe I should try out running upsmash.
Fsmash can be a good tool as well if they're laying on the ground. Dash attack is nice though because it pops them up for a juggle.

kirby509

Smash Cadet

Thank you so much! I believe fsmash could be another good tool for punishing.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Fsmash can be a good tool as well if they're laying on the ground. Dash attack is nice though because it pops them up for a juggle.
Agreeing the words of Myran, I strongly recommend the use of Dash Attack because can lead to an easy Uair (low %) putting extra pressure against your enemy.
I would recommend Fsmash if your enemy will get out of the platform after the hit, so that put you in a good position with advantage and a bad position to your enemy because it has the priority of come back.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
think bad at all, it is an hard MU for olimar because olimar in general have trouble with speed and rushdown :(

Top Bottom