• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Matchup Thread (Old thread)

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I find that I'm struggling quite a bit against ROB as Olimar. He's one of those characters who can just completely out zone you. His laser can cover multiple anlges and beats Pikmin making it very difficult to approach or zone while his Gyro stops Pikmin in their tracks due to their compulsuon to attack the thing instead of bringing it to you. Once you get it he has his fast tilts to relieve pressure and he can kill early with his aerials and UThrow.

The main merits I see for Olimar in this match up are his ability to combo ROB due to his large size and lack of a low startup aerial and the fact that Olimar can edgeguard ROB pretty easily.
If you can grab his gyro it cuts his camp game in half. This works even better if you have at least one purple. So you can still throw Pikmin to latch on, but use a purple have a move with knockback. Alternatively be a bit more aggressive may be easier for you if you are having trouble with the projectiles.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
@ Myran Myran maybe we could structure more the thread and make some quicklinks to each MU. Recopiling the info and ordering in a good way may be more easily to learn, discuss and know.
I can offer my help to do that. Something like to keep at the first post of the thread with the MU info, like the first one you did with Rosalina.

Anyway, keeping the reason of the thread, I have 3 MU to ask.
1) Another Olimar. Yesterday I played with 1 (that apparently was his/her main but it wasn't because he played shulk after the first match) and I was so dumb fighting him. I was all the time thinking "what I do" and throwing pikmin just because.
2) King Dedede. I still CAN'T win a match against a good one. They hit me, punish me, play aggressive against me and KO me in no time. I think that my timing is bad, because I can't evade the jump or the multiples hit of the mace. The running attack gives me headache and I find myself running away all the time. Some good advices to this?
3) Duck Hunt. Yesterday I played with a good one and he humiliate me the first 2 matches, then I catch his pattern and I win the next 3. Whenever I did mistakes, he won, whenever I didn't, victory was mine fastly. So please give me your advices against him =).

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
For all of those saying Shulk's a bad mu for Olimar. I have to completely disagree. I main both characters and Shulk is a pretty good mu for Olimar. A matchup I find hard for Olimar would be Mario and fox. I'd like to know how to deal with them efficiently, I usually struggle against them.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
@ Myran Myran maybe we could structure more the thread and make some quicklinks to each MU. Recopiling the info and ordering in a good way may be more easily to learn, discuss and know.
I can offer my help to do that. Something like to keep at the first post of the thread with the MU info, like the first one you did with Rosalina.
That was the initial plan with this thread. Having the quicklinks to different characters and having it all compiled at the first or 2nd post for ease of access. I've been busy with other things lately so I haven't been doing to much on the forums with this stuff. If you wanna help organize stuff we can figure something out.
@ DtJ Hilt DtJ Hilt can you help him out?

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
2) King Dedede. I still CAN'T win a match against a good one. They hit me, punish me, play aggressive against me and KO me in no time. I think that my timing is bad, because I can't evade the jump or the multiples hit of the mace. The running attack gives me headache and I find myself running away all the time. Some good advices to this?
I like to concentrate on landing the kill on Dedede off the top blastzone. I try not to stale my up smash or up air, and then I try to land it when he's at 130%. Killing off the top is easier for me because of DDD's 5 jumps plus super armor when he recovers from the sides. Very hard to gimp, and he's heavy enough to live through many non-purple f-smashes.

I don't know if this will work against a good DDD, but if you bait them to use their up-B, you can actually get under them, spotdodge, and then land an up-smash. Other than that, I always make sure to try to perfectly arc my pikmin over any potential jabs or f-tilts because his hammer is good at swatting away pikmin.

When he gets crazy with Gordos, the match gets tough. Olimar's jab isn't perfect for knocking the Gordos back. That's when I get more aggressive. DDD's big body makes him good for cross-up nairs. So you nair into him and land behind him, which means he doesn't have a great option even if he shields. Usually good for a follow-up up-tilt.

Last edited:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
That was the initial plan with this thread. Having the quicklinks to different characters and having it all compiled at the first or 2nd post for ease of access. I've been busy with other things lately so I haven't been doing to much on the forums with this stuff. If you wanna help organize stuff we can figure something out.
@ DtJ Hilt DtJ Hilt can you help him out?
I could have sworn I responded to this after seeing it.

This weekend is going to be shot for me, but after that I'm going to have all the time in the world. Hit me up on Monday, if I don't message you first, and we'll see what direction will be the best to take.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Not to mention Olimar can easily block Villagers Lloid Rocket (Did I spel that right?) with his side-B
I like to concentrate on landing the kill on Dedede off the top blastzone. I try not to stale my up smash or up air, and then I try to land it when he's at 130%. Killing off the top is easier for me because of DDD's 5 jumps plus super armor when he recovers from the sides. Very hard to gimp, and he's heavy enough to live through many non-purple f-smashes.

I don't know if this will work against a good DDD, but if you bait them to use their up-B, you can actually get under them, spotdodge, and then land an up-smash. Other than that, I always make sure to try to perfectly arc my pikmin over any potential jabs or f-tilts because his hammer is good at swatting away pikmin.

When he gets crazy with Gordos, the match gets tough. Olimar's jab isn't perfect for knocking the Gordos back. That's when I get more aggressive. DDD's big body makes him good for cross-up nairs. So you nair into him and land behind him, which means he doesn't have a great option even if he shields. Usually good for a follow-up up-tilt.
Thanks a lot for this, I did it and it worked a lot for me. The only difference is that I keep killing to the sides, but the advice of getting down of the Usmash it was ver helpful. The other thing I changed is doing Dsmash instead of F/B smashes.
Even though I haven't played against a good King Dedede, but it helped me a lot :D.

lazymp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mpittman17
Well if he is putting a lot of pressure on you just try to get your space again. Rolling probably being the easiest way. I'm wondering if maybe you as a player just have trouble keeping up the wall/spacing when the opponent pushes forward with pressure onto you? Maybe try counter pressure.
I'm having trouble with the Fox MU. His lasers being pretty good vs. side-b is annoying.

But I'd also say I'm generally the type of player you described who has trouble when I'm being pressured hard and they're avoiding (shield) grabs and f-smashes. It's rough getting pressured inside by Sheik, Sonic, Yoshi, are a few in particular I'm having problems with when they get in.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I'm having trouble with the Fox MU. His lasers being pretty good vs. side-b is annoying.

But I'd also say I'm generally the type of player you described who has trouble when I'm being pressured hard and they're avoiding (shield) grabs and f-smashes. It's rough getting pressured inside by Sheik, Sonic, Yoshi, are a few in particular I'm having problems with when they get in.
I'm not to well versed in the Fox MU so I can't really give any specific tips. Just try to get some purples in your line so you can keep him out of your area. If characters want to get in your face and stay there I recommend really practicing your power shield timing. This allows you to punish quick aerials much easier. Also you could try to wall them out with retreating pivot grabs and smashes. Finally dtilt is a fast move to really get in on the opponent when they are in your face.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I know that versus Dedede, Pikmin lose to Gordos except for Purple, who trade with it. Fair is decent for knocking them back. Ftilt has too much startup for me personally, and I can't say if jab is strong enough. If your opponent knows this, then he will likely make use of a lot of Gordos, making this a very annoying matchup. I imagine you can just camp him out with Pikmin Throw, but killing him takes a LOT of work. It's definitely an uphill battle considering how easily he can potshot you for an early kill.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I know that versus Dedede, Pikmin lose to Gordos except for Purple, who trade with it. Fair is decent for knocking them back. Ftilt has too much startup for me personally, and I can't say if jab is strong enough. If your opponent knows this, then he will likely make use of a lot of Gordos, making this a very annoying matchup. I imagine you can just camp him out with Pikmin Throw, but killing him takes a LOT of work. It's definitely an uphill battle considering how easily he can potshot you for an early kill.
D3 is combo food though, he is also incredibly slow. This makes it a lot easier to go in on him.

lazymp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mpittman17
I'm not to well versed in the Fox MU so I can't really give any specific tips. Just try to get some purples in your line so you can keep him out of your area. If characters want to get in your face and stay there I recommend really practicing your power shield timing. This allows you to punish quick aerials much easier. Also you could try to wall them out with retreating pivot grabs and smashes. Finally dtilt is a fast move to really get in on the opponent when they are in your face.
Well his lasers stop pikmin where they are when they collide so it makes it much harder to camp him than other characters since pikmin trump most projectiles. The purple strat is something I'll have to try, but there's obviously the tradeoff of having those for knockback but then having tiny grab/fsmash range...

I do need to work on my pivot-grabbing for sure. And I've been using dtilt more, definitely one of his better options inside.

I probably just need to play the MU more, it's just I've run into the same guy who plays him this and last weekend and haven't been able to figure it out yet, so it's a bit frustrating.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Well his lasers stop pikmin where they are when they collide so it makes it much harder to camp him than other characters since pikmin trump most projectiles. The purple strat is something I'll have to try, but there's obviously the tradeoff of having those for knockback but then having tiny grab/fsmash range...

I do need to work on my pivot-grabbing for sure. And I've been using dtilt more, definitely one of his better options inside.

I probably just need to play the MU more, it's just I've run into the same guy who plays him this and last weekend and haven't been able to figure it out yet, so it's a bit frustrating.
Just keep working at it. Learn to weave between his lasers while throwing your own Pikmin. This is especially true when you have a purple since you can inch forward while having a way to get knockback from a distance.

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55

For me the Best thing to keep in mind agains't fox is to space myself at a distance thats the max range of olimar's fsmash and that usually punishes his silly side B. Spacing in general is key in most matchups but in this one more so, and as far as lasers stopping pikmin short hopping side b will always do! but mix that up.. Also when he starts getting into your space as myran said dtilt is wonderful and try to bait his reflector then punish (usually if he figured out that all ur smashes reflect back he will be using reflector often or if he doesnt have an answer to pikmin spam) with a free grab or other options (fsmash,fair ,dtilt,etc) and like every reflector character using fsmash at low percents isnt too much risk but once your percent gets past 90 I'd be sparing with smashes in general..

Last edited:

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Hey guys, just got into Olimar about a week ago and I noticed something that I thought was interesting in the :4charizard: matchup. If Charizard has a pikmin attached to him while he uses Flare Blitz, the move stops immediately and kills the pikmin. However, since red pikmin don't take fire damage, red pikmin completely nullify charizards scariest kill move.

Normally I like to save the red pikmin for kill moves, but in this matchup I found it extremely useful to use them for pikmin toss.

lazymp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mpittman17
For me the Best thing to keep in mind agains't fox is to space myself at a distance thats the max range of olimar's fsmash and that usually punishes his silly side B. Spacing in general is key in most matchups but in this one more so, and as far as lasers stopping pikmin short hopping side b will always do! but mix that up.. Also when he starts getting into your space as myran said dtilt is wonderful and try to bait his reflector then punish (usually if he figured out that all ur smashes reflect back he will be using reflector often or if he doesnt have an answer to pikmin spam) with a free grab or other options (fsmash,fair ,dtilt,etc) and like every reflector character using fsmash at low percents isnt too much risk but once your percent gets past 90 I'd be sparing with smashes in general..
Thanks for the tips (both you and Mryan). He wasn't spamming reflector much for whatever reason (I don't think he realized it reflects f-smash? that and/or he knew his lasers could take care of my side-b, not too sure). Mainly just outcamping me with lasers and doing a great job of landing behind me and up-tilting so I could never f-smash/grab/dtilt him, and covering my landings with up-smash and such.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I need help with my Sonic match up.
Try to keep Pikmin latched onto Sonic, it makes most of his moves punishable where they normally wouldn't be. They also slow down his spindash making it easier to punish. Just make sure to shield a lot when he's spindashing and learn the timings so you can follow up or respace yourself if needed.

Also use dtilt, it's amazing.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I had very, very bad and terrible games against a :4wario:Wario. He was very good, faster than me and punished me alot, I couldn't take ANY (I guess, can't remember very well) stock from him in around 3 to 6 games.
I Found myself hopeless, making a lot of mistakes and trying to get close with horrible consequences, the most far I got was 80%-100% to him.
He was constantly eating my pikmins o_o.
So yes, please, I really need help about this. I already know that Fair and Fsmash help against his motorcycle, but didn't helped me (or I couldn't) to get over.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Hey, are there any tips that I can use for the Peach MU? I fought against a Peach main for multiple rounds during friendlies tonight, and I lost my pace to her due to me getting way too aggressive (and also maybe a little fatigued from playing for a long time).

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hey, are there any tips that I can use for the Peach MU? I fought against a Peach main for multiple rounds during friendlies tonight, and I lost my pace to her due to me getting way too aggressive (and also maybe a little fatigued from playing for a long time).
Run away and throw Pikmin. You have to respect like all of her moves. Get some purples into your line as well, they can mess up her aerial pressure.

JJtheDragon

Smash Rookie
NNID
JJtheDragon
3DS FC
0216-0918-4359
Yellow Fair and Nair help against her airs. And like Myran said, keep some purples handy.

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
Olimar has a slightly good matchup against Charizard. If you keep ONE Pikmin on him most of the game (preferably red) his side-b, the most powerful move of his, will fail every single time hilariously. I do have to admit, it seems rather stressing.

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
I'ght, I've ran into my first tough matchup as Olimar, rushy characters like Captain Falcon and Sonic I know where I need to focus and improve on, but I don't know how I should go about dealing with a good Ness.

Yeah, Pikmen gimp his recovery completely, but getting Ness to where he needs to B up to recover is the tough spot-he's a fast character with some weird ranged options, great grab game, and moves that flat out kill Pikmen attatched to him or near him(and on a side note he can hilariously knock Pikmen straight back at you with his bat).

Short hopped Fairs and tossing purples tend to work well, but ultimately he'll take the neutral game from you and try to juggle you in the air. It just seems like you need a lot of patience with this match up, really respecting Ness but not fearing him... Any tips? I also main Little Mac and he makes short work of Ness when played smart, but I know Olimar can win this match up if I can just get a little better...

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
CALLING OUT ALL OLIMAR MAINS!!!

We began discussing about the Olimar match up. So if you have any experience on the matchup, please go to the Pit Boards!

alonecuzzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2422-6131
Power shielding is Olimar's bread and butter. You master that and punishes just present themselves to you.
Noob here.

I notice you keep stressing power shielding. I've googled around and I've found a little info on it, but no real definite way of practicing this in sm4sh. Do you know of any links to tutorials? I saw that it was also called shield dropping? Is this the same thing or different?

(I checked the youtubes as well)

Thx!

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Noob here.

I notice you keep stressing power shielding. I've googled around and I've found a little info on it, but no real definite way of practicing this in sm4sh. Do you know of any links to tutorials? I saw that it was also called shield dropping? Is this the same thing or different?

(I checked the youtubes as well)

Thx!
If you just put up the shield before an attack hits, it's a powershield. Powershielding allows the defender to act out of shield more quickly than just blocking an attack normally.

Shield dropping from what I understand is basically its namesake; you stop shielding. It's completely different from powershielding.

Last edited:

alonecuzzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2422-6131
If you just put up the shield before an attack hits, it's a powershield. Powershielding allows the defender to act out of shield more quickly than just blocking an attack normally.

Shield dropping from what I understand is basically its namesake; you stop shielding. It's completely different from powershielding.
Ah k cool thanks.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Hello Olimar/Alph mains, the Greninja boards are going to discuss the Olimar MU now and we would appreciate any input: http://smashboards.com/threads/mast...-rosalina-olimar-sonic-2-2-2-9.369356/page-10

Just keep the Pikmin in check so they don't wreck the place.

This actually makes me wonder if Greninja would actually prey on Pikmin. I mean, I guess Greninja is as close to Wollyhogs and Bulborbs as we're gonna get...

Veskah

Smash Rookie
Sorry to bring up Villager again, but I seem to be having a difficult time managing a couple of his attacks.

The first little combo he does is he launches a Lloid rocket, and then follows right behind it with his potted plant dash attack. This seems to make a long enough hitbox that I can't spot dodge through all of it. If I try and shield, then he is right there to bury me and drop the bowling ball on my face. Right now the only thing I see to try is jumping over it, but he usually follows and hits me with a slingshot causing me to fall into the rocket. I know I need to stop playing like a bad and dodge through the slingshot, I just wanted to see if you had other options.

Also, if he has you on the ledge then he can sprout up the tree which can take a stock if you try to get up on the stage from there. The easiest way to get out is to use his up b and fly over it, but that leaves you pretty vulnerable while trying to get back to the ground.

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
Sorry to bring up Villager again, but I seem to be having a difficult time managing a couple of his attacks.

The first little combo he does is he launches a Lloid rocket, and then follows right behind it with his potted plant dash attack. This seems to make a long enough hitbox that I can't spot dodge through all of it. If I try and shield, then he is right there to bury me and drop the bowling ball on my face. Right now the only thing I see to try is jumping over it, but he usually follows and hits me with a slingshot causing me to fall into the rocket. I know I need to stop playing like a bad and dodge through the slingshot, I just wanted to see if you had other options.

Also, if he has you on the ledge then he can sprout up the tree which can take a stock if you try to get up on the stage from there. The easiest way to get out is to use his up b and fly over it, but that leaves you pretty vulnerable while trying to get back to the ground.
Toss your Pikmen for that first situation, I believe they won't blow thee rocket up till it's started moving so don't do it too early, if you time a yellow right then your should hit the Villager... The best thing for this match up is to really get in Villager's face-don't give him the range he wants, but at the same time respect his powerful options he has and try to space him with your Pikmen, but don't let him get in a position he wants. About the tree, you need to get to the ledge and roll up as soon as possible-or when you do your UP B and have to recover high, ALWAYS CANCLE YOUR UP B WITH A AERIAL. Even if it's not against Villager, NAir out of UP B.
He's a tough fighter, with a lot of dumb options you have to deal with, but we're a kind of character Villager hates to fight, despite having so many "projectile" attacks.

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
Having trouble against the megaman olimar mu. Against that one special megaman who spams short hop pellets to you. Is there anything that out-prioritizes the pellets? I know that when megaman has a latched pikmin he can't side-smash but he removes the pikmin with those pellets :c. Cost me last saturday local tourney in grand finals T.T. Megaman is a nightmare to me. What can I do as Olimar in general? I can handle other megaman playstyles but not that one that spams short hop pellets and juggles with uair.

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
SHeik is the worst MU in the game for Olimar. No doubt in my mind. Truly think it's unwinnable versus a comparable in skill level sheik. Keep in mind I've now only lost to 2 SHeiks, K9 and DK WIll.

Other crap MU's to note:

Mario
Fox
Peach

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Having trouble against the megaman olimar mu. Against that one special megaman who spams short hop pellets to you. Is there anything that out-prioritizes the pellets? I know that when megaman has a latched pikmin he can't side-smash but he removes the pikmin with those pellets :c. Cost me last saturday local tourney in grand finals T.T. Megaman is a nightmare to me. What can I do as Olimar in general? I can handle other megaman playstyles but not that one that spams short hop pellets and juggles with uair.

This match up goes to time every time i play it. Just have to out camp the MM and hope he is the one who has to approach and then punish his approach.

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
SHeik is the worst MU in the game for Olimar. No doubt in my mind. Truly think it's unwinnable versus a comparable in skill level sheik. Keep in mind I've now only lost to 2 SHeiks, K9 and DK WIll.

Other crap MU's to note:

Mario
Fox
Peach
Fox isn't too bad, you just have to play very carefully and respect the fact that he can reflect your smashes and rush you down easily. You can space him just like any other character. Mario is just annoying to go against, as anyone, but again, just respect the fact that he can reflect.
I don't play many Shiek's or Peach's online or off, so I can't really add too much... Shiek's Side B is really annoying, and her Kunai stop our Pikmen... She's not too bad to fight, but I haven't played against a über tier Shiek yet.

Now, while Megaspam and Mario are really annoying to fight against, nothing compares to Link. His sword spaces us and kills our Pikmen easily. His boomerang and arrows will stop anything that's not purple. Our Pikmen will carry any of his bombs back to us and have them blow up in our face. He's a real pain to fight, but whenever I go against a good one and I get serious... It honestly seems like a 50/50, anyone else think that?

Top Bottom