• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
this malt shop better be offering you big money if you really want to stay there.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
At the moment, it is the one job I'm guaranteed to get back.

I've been shot down by about 10 other employers within the past month, do you really think I'm going to be so confident about job site number 11?

Shade_

Smash Ace
Dude, Sonic do you go to OU? Have you tried jobs.ou.edu? Like there are at least 100 or so openings there. Just exaggerate your resume a little to make yourself sound better (Like don't lie) but say anything good about your work ethic, discipline, working under pressure, meeting deadlines, etc. Anything good about yourself just put it. And sound really passionate on your cover letter. You're bound to get something that way.

If you can use word and excel then you qualify for like half the jobs. If you are willing to work as a security guard, I think there is an opening at the museum for that.

I REALLY recommend against any food job. It's the worst job you can have next to scraping excrement out of a dumpster. Overworked and trash pay, and they always want evening shifts from you which you'll need for studying.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Just checked the site, and all of them either require experience I do not have, require me not to be a student, require certificates I do not have (the lifeguarding one I couldn't get because my licenses expired 2 weeks before the lifeguard was needed and I didn't have any money (gee, where did I hear that before?) to pay for a class to get the goddamn things renewed), require the student to be in a department of study I am not in, or I CAN get, but the hours they would want me for require me to be there at the dead of night, thereby killing any social time and study time I could get otherwise.

Go. ****ing. Figure.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Also note that hundreds more jobs appear just before the semester begins, summer is a little slow.
Although I'd say look again Sonic, you may have not looked at the student jobs, check the filters, also you can apply for jobs you dont have experience in if you are confident in your ability to do so, many of the jobs at the university will give you some instruction if the task isn't incredibly complex.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I rummaged through all the filters, and the ones I listed up there are the end results of all the filtering. I'll wait for the next batch of jobs to crop up, but in the meantime, I'm going to try to apply for Staples, and Lowe's again once the cashier openings present themselves; I expect both places to have transfer opportunities to Norman if I get the either job, so it's something I can slide through once August hits.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Dude jobs.ou.edu is kind of a crapshoot as to whether there'll be something available that you meet the qualifications for. I've also been getting updates from hiresooner via email, and everything in my major requires at least a 4 year degree. jobs.ou.edu is good, but you've gotta snatch the jobs up fast, I mean like as soon as they come out. If you're not watching it like a hawk, chances are you won't even get offered an interview. Hiresooner is really legit though, if you can find something that you're qualified for/fits your schedule.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Its common for men to maintain a preference for early girlfriends' qualities for a while, nothing out of the ordinary. Oftentimes negative elements of a relationship can also be seen as normal, if those are the only experiences you have with relationships so keep that in mind when seeking out new girls and don't get stuck with the same negative qualities.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I removed that link because I felt it was stupid, random, and uncalled for, and I blame the emotional mess I'm in ATM. I'd like to put it in the past and forget that, And any comments that result from it, even happened, please.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
forest - you should know by now that 90% of the time i argue i come off as a belligerent *******. typically i'm a more benevolent *******. don't sweat it dawg, sorry if you took anything too personally.

anyone want to play 3rd strike? or mk9? or melee? maybe some wargods? so bored right now.
also, tf2 is free now, so dl it. if you don't have steam it's free and easy to use and awesome. full mac support for all you hipsters.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
forest - you should know by now that 90% of the time i argue i come off as a belligerent *******. typically i'm a more benevolent *******. don't sweat it dawg, sorry if you took anything too personally.

anyone want to play 3rd strike? or mk9? or melee? maybe some wargods? so bored right now.
also, tf2 is free now, so dl it. if you don't have steam it's free and easy to use and awesome. full mac support for all you hipsters.
I doooo you still live in edmond? On a side note hipsters are cool :)

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Oh Josh, you've just gotta learn to let it all go. If you were to die today, would you be able to be truly satisfied with your life? No regrets, each day is its own adventure.
Other inspirational stuff.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Dude Josh, just do construction if you want mad money.

They will hire you 100% of the time, and you'll be paid like 13 an hour. It's sucky, but considering how you only need a job for like 20 days, that's the best way to go.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I'm headed to Las Vegas right now, but when 3rd Srike HD comes out I really want to learn how to play that game. In its prime I enjoyed what I played of it, but I was kinda marginalized by the local crew for playing smash. I wanna play some Q.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I was hoping Andy's let me know if he wanted to chill, or play some Street Fighter this weekend.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Character assessments take sooooo long, and they oftentimes repeat some questions near the end. I'm tempted to pick the extreme choices, but then it looks like I'm lying when I do, lol.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I know it's late but I feel like posting anyway. I just saw "The Green Hornet" and am happy to say I thought it was a great movie! Absolutely loved it, and it was funny too-

Gravity

Smash Ace
well i lost my phone charger so my phones dead

i get off at 8 tomorrow, if someone wants to play just hit me up via smashboards

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Just putting this here for some critical evaluation by you guys. I'll write an introduction, but I'm wondering about how to present the "other" games in the Smash thread. Marvel will of course be a big draw, I don't know about the interest in MK9. Headed to las vegas, cya!

SUPER
BIT WARS

August 20th, 2011 (Saturday)
Norman, OK
JOIN THE FACEBOOK EVENT

Contact Information- PM SolidusSpriggan!, or text Forest Sharp - 405 464 5348
Housing available upon request. PM or TXT me.

WE STILL NEED SETUPS. 1 FULL SMASH SETUP WARRANTS 1 VENUE FEE WAIVER!
Do not bring laggy monitors or TV's below 12 inches, we will not use them and you're fee won't be waived.

Scholar's Room in the Oklahoma Memorial Student Union at the University of Oklahoma (3rd floor, location across hall from OH SNAP 6)
900 Asp Ave # 428
Norman, OK 73069-4849

The parking meters & garage are usually free on Saturday.
There are many parking lots nearby one block away on street Jenkins and on Trout street.

[collapse=Expand for map of building interior]
PLACEHOLDER
[/collapse]Time
Smash Registration Opens at NOON!

OTHER REGISTRATION TIMES ARE TENTATIVE, KEEP AN EYE ON THESE AS WE PROCURE SETUPS AND GAUGE INTEREST, WE WANT AIR-DASHERS TO BE DONE RIGHT!
Setup/Friendlies 11:30 PM

Round 1 (Melee, Brawl) Marvel vs Capcom 3, Blazblue CS2) Regsitration Opens 12:00 PM
Round 1 Registration Closes 1:30 PM
Round 1 Tournaments Begin 2:00 PM

Round 2 (Mortal Kombat, Arcana Heart 3, Melta Blood AA) opens at 2:30PM
Round 2 Registration closes at 3:30 PM
Round 2 Tournaments Begin 4:00PM/As setups become available.

Fees
$10 Venue Fee (Waived if you bring a full Smash or Airdasher setup with TV (larger than 12inches, lagfree)
$10 Smash Singles
$20 Smash Teams (per team, $10 per player)
$10 Marvel vs Capcom 3
$10 Mortal Kombat 9
$10 BlazBlue Continuum Shift II
$5 Melty Blood
$5 for Arcana Heart 3
$5 Late Night Iron Man tourney! (Secret Prize)
(any tournament under 8 entrants will be round robin.)

Payout for all Tournaments
<16 entrants = 70/30
>16 <48 = 60/30/10
>48 = 55/25/10/5

Melee (Singles and Teams)
These rules will be subject to change on a monthly basis for the purpose of preparation for tournaments Oklahoma plans to host or attend.
[collapse=Melee Rules]
Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches until Loser's/Winner's/Grand Finals which is 3/5 games.
  • The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON

Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
  3. The first match is played.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
  5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
  7. The losing player picks character.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.
[/collapse]

Brawl (Singles and Teams)
[Collapse=Brawl Rules]

Starter Stage List:

• Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Castle Siege
  • Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter Stage List:

• Battleship Halberd
  • Brinstar
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Rainbow Cruise

General Rules
3 Stocks
8 Minute Time Limit
Items set to "Off" and "None"
All infinites are legal.
Meta Knight's Infinite Cape Glitch and Extended Cape Glitch are banned.
There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 35 for Meta Knight and 50 for all other characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 13 is used for Meta Knight, and 18 for all other characters.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
Team Attack set to "On"
Life stealing is allowed.
In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.[/collapse]

Other games:
Marvel vs Capcom 3 (360) (srk)
Mortal Kombat 9 (360) (srk)
BlazBlue CS2 (PS3) (dustloop)
Arcana Heart 3 (PS3 - 4:3 ratio) (dustloop)(homingcancel)
Melty Blood Actress Again (PS2) (dustloop)(homingcancel)
Late Night Ironman (???)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Yeah, August.

I really wish I could move up there at the beginning of the month. It would give me a chance to get everything settled down.

Top Bottom