• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If everything goes right, I'll have a job tomorrow or Thursday, with the same people who have been working on the road in front of my house for the past year, lol.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
So my TV died... Which sucks because I can't practice anything now... Which really sucks because I was in the middle of my replay of A Link to the Past... :(

Any of you gents know where I might be able to procure a decent-sized, optimal-for-gaming, flatscreen without breaking the bank? Your help in this matter would be much appreciated.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
So my TV died... Which sucks because I can't practice anything now... Which really sucks because I was in the middle of my replay of A Link to the Past... :(

Any of you gents know where I might be able to procure a decent-sized, optimal-for-gaming, flatscreen without breaking the bank? Your help in this matter would be much appreciated.
What size are you looking for? Oh BTW if your TV is less than 2 years old you should call the manufacturer and see if they will repair it for cheap or free, or give you a discount towards a new TV, even though officiall companies won't admit it, you can bargain with them if they think it will maintain brand loyalty, or get them another sale, you just have to be really assertive, but also positive that their company can fix your problem...if that doesn't work, get angry and be sure to indicate that their company can no longer be trusted as a manufacturer of quality hardware for the 21st century.

In the meantime you can borrow one of my CRTs. Call me before you come by so Im around, 405 464 5348.

I'm replaying Ocarina on the 3DS! Classic Zelda Playthroughes FTW!
I just beat Twilight Princess (I've always beat console Zelda games immediately on release, but I lost my save file 5 times and only just got around to replaying through it to the end!)
As the game began, I felt it not to be as good as any of the 3 previous 3D zeldas, however by the end of the title I think its on par with the other games, at some points surpassing them, but at some points being a little annoying with the errend quests.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
anybody know where i can get some fireworks?
Wal-Marts typically have a fireworks stand in their parking lots; I know the one in Seminole does. I think I saw some stands being put up on the road on my way back home Saturday.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
anybody know where i can get some fireworks?
Wal-Marts typically have a fireworks stand in their parking lots; I know the one in Seminole does. I think I saw some stands being put up on the road on my way back home Saturday.
Okay guys, as a long time fireworks buyer and user (i've probably spent something on the order of 5,000 dollars on fireworks since I entered college)
I can say that wal-marts rarely have fireworks stands in their parking lots in metropolitan areas. Thats a rare thing you see in places like Seminole, Maud, Ada, etc.
The best places to go for fireworks if you live in a big city tends to be on the outskirts of town.

Here in norman, we actually have a fireworks warehouse. That warehouse supplies a stand right next to it. It is on NE 12th Avenue, just past Indian Hills Road.
The place is called Jakes Fireworks. I couldn't get an address, but here's a map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=n...hzH4XKirPyNbRA;FQiIGgId224x-g&mra=ls&t=h&z=13

They are a little more corporate than what you might find in rural america, but you can haggle with them a bit, but to do so you need to be pretty assertive. If your buying a large amount, ask them to throw in some sparklers on the house or something.

Don't forget PUNKS to safely light the fireworks. they will be free but you might need to request them.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Twilight Princess would have been in many ways a perfect game if 3 things were different.
1: It had a hard mode.
2: It gave you more opportunities and need to use all your new awesome sword moves.
3: Had more fighting and duels.

All three of these things could have been remedied had they let any half competent beta tester play through it...but then again, I don't feel like Nintendo even has those testers anymore.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo has the testers, they are in the credits at the end. I think in the past, Nintendo found difficultty to come naturally when developing game mechanics, everything was a simple back and forth, attacking link until successfully defended against, and then pausing. But now they are putting too much thought into it, making it too easy (somehow Mario Galaxy escaped this).

That being said, Twilight Princess is infinitely more difficult than Wind Waker, but that still makes it the second easiest console Zelda title to date.

I'm hoping that with their new tips and playthrough help intitiatives, Nintendo will be more likely to add difficult challenges to their games. Donkey Kong Country Returns is hard as hell, of course its developed outside of Nintendo R&D/EAD.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Oklahoma only has like three or four "metropolitan areas" so fireworks stands in Wal-Mart parking lots are actually more common than whatever you have up here.
Most states only have 1-4 metropolitan areas, thats where the highest concentration of Wal-Marts are. Additionally, many cities won't allow fireworks to be sold within the city limits. And because walmart has increasingly abandoned more rural areas for Supercenters, they are even more rare. I've been buying fireworks every year since my earliest memory, and not only have the number of stands gone down, but the power of the fireworks themselves have been dramatically reduced. Its companies trying to increase profits by including less gunpowder in the things. Probably government and community concern over the explosives being too powerful is also a factor, either way fireworks are still cool, but not what they used to be.

Anyway Jakes Fireworks on 12th Avenue north of Indian Hills road had an OK selection last year, there are bigger better places but they require some driving.
I usually get my fireworks in Harrah, just outside of Choctaw on 23rd street about 5 miles east of Indian Meridian.

And if anyone needs a place to blow off fireworks safely, I'm going to a party in Harrah, far away from the metro on the 2nd (this saturday) and anyone is welcome to come, if more than 1 or 2 people want to come you'll need to drive yourself cuz we only have 1 or 2 slots. Just let me know 405 464 5348.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So yeah, that job I could have had yesterday? One of the workers just lost his other job that night and so needed to money he could get for driving the truck.

Goddamn, Seminole must hate me. I'm trying to get out of here as quickly as possible, but it keeps sucking me in and making me suffer as much as it does.

But now they are putting too much thought into it, making it too easy (somehow Mario Galaxy escaped this).
As a platformer, the development teams have to make the stages Mario runs through just as much of a challenge as the enemies, if not moreso. With the gravity gimmick, team Mario has something to work with to manipulate the stage layout into however they please, either making the experience easier or hellish. It's why no one really complains about the boss battles like Gobblegut, but at the same time, everyone and their grandmother will ***** about Luigi's Purple Coins and Grandmaster Galaxy; the unique combination of the objective + the platforming for those missions ARE HARD AS HELL.

Zelda, on the other hand, relies on enemy combat and puzzle solving, and once everyone figures out how to beat the enemy (since every enemy has a tell or a load of weak points for some reason), it becomes infinitely easier.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Seminole sucks dude. My mom lives between Seminole and Ada, it sucks a D. Just don't go there at all.

Zelda, on the other hand, relies on enemy combat and puzzle solving, and once everyone figures out how to beat the enemy (since every enemy has a tell or a load of weak points for some reason), it becomes infinitely easier.
But traditionally, combat in Zelda has been technically and managerially difficult. Windwaker and TP actually reduce the enemies aggressiveness dramatically. In both games I found myself waiting for the enemies to attack before launching retaliation...and I didn't really get attacked. In situations with multiple onscreen enemies (like 5 or more) then this is okay because their frequency of attacks balance out with the numbers, but in one on one scenarios, the enemies are quite docile.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
WTF. I just got hired at convergys, it sounds like every change that they have made to their business is ***. Seriously, its ***. They don't have schedules anymore? That have "earliest in, latest out."

The training is 5 weeks instead of 2, it starts on July 12th, I have to miss Tokyo in Tulsa?
WTF I HAVE TO MISS TOKYO IN TULSA! FREEZEPOP IS GOING TO BE THERE!

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Dude, just take that Saturday off, I just did that lol
Since I start on the 12th though do you think its cool to take off the 15th? I also have to take off the 30th because I've gotta go to another wedding. Thats my 2 days right there. Then I wanted to go to the Missouri Tourney and the AZ one...plus run my own.
FML

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Forest, thanks man! My sister has an extra TV she's going to loan me, so I should be good, but I'll keep it in mind.

In the meantime, I think the lack of difficulty in newer Zelda games stems from Nintendo's current policy on making games that 'everyone' can enjoy. I first noticed this in The Wind Waker-- enemies were few and far between(even within the dungeons), and when you did encounter them, they rarely attacked... You could mop up a group of foes quickly and without much trouble, even the more tricky ones like Poes or Darknuts became light work once you knew the 'trick' to beating them. The designers seem content with letting the puzzle-solving bare the brunt of presenting players with a challenge.

Yet, even the puzzle-solving elements have become somewhat 'weaker' over the years... I haven't actually felt challenged by the puzzles in a Zelda title in quite a while. I think Oracle of Ages was the last Zelda game that really had me scratching my head trying to solve some of the dungeons(Shout outs to that awesome game.)

I'm not saying we need to go back to The Legend of Zelda-level difficulty(**** you, Blue Wizzrobes), but a balance needs to be addressed. A Link to the Past has what I would declare a nearly 'perfect' difficulty-- Enemies are usually not dispatched with a few simple sword strikes(some are totally immune to them, in fact), and are pretty agressive. Even with better weapons and equipment, many enemies will still hand you your *** if you come at them wrong. Its puzzles were also challenging and unique, requiring players to think outside the box in order to continue on, rather than using the 'find-the-dungeon-item-in-order-to-solve-its-puzzles-and-beat-its-boss' route the newer games have relied on.

Sorry for the rant, but I love the Zelda series, and I hold A Link to the Past in high regard(its my second-favorite Zelda, right after Majora's Mask).
Also, are you guys playing at the Union tonight? No promises, but I may try to come down for some games tonight.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Yeah LTTP is a great game and the difficulty level is pretty good. I think that OOT/MM also do a good job of giving you enough game overs to feel like the enemies are a threat, the puzzles are pretty hard in MM too.

I think the puzzles in TP were on the level with other zelda games (minus ages of course) and the easiness in them really comes with our familiarity with the format more than anything. I got stumped a couple of times.

We are playing at the Union tonight. I'd love to play with you. We are starting at 8:00 PM and going until ?, usually we wrap things up around 3ish, but it can go longer. Bryan Hoke the Science Bloke needs to show up and **** us some good.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I wanna play Super for a long time so I can pick a main.

Here's the list of characters I've tried and seem to enjoy:
Makoto/Dudley (I like them, but they're just too hard considering how I'm unfamiliar with everything still)
Fei Long, but I didn't like him cause he was pokey
Akuma (which means I should like Ken)
Cody
Zangeif (Which means I should like Honda)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Roger Ebert apparently gave the new Transformers .5/4 stars, so that should provide some idea of what to expect, lol

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Sorry guys, my reason for going to Norman today fell through, so I won't be there tonight, but we will all do battle once more in the near future. Hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday weekend!

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Roger Ebert apparently gave the new Transformers .5/4 stars, so that should provide some idea of what to expect, lol
We know its going to be awful, were just in it for the Transformers factor. I hate almost everyone attached to the project. Acknowledging that, I would also like to acknowledge that I have absolutely zero (0) confidence in anything Roger Ebert says about a film, or anything else for that matter, so his .5/4 means just as much as 4/4 to me.

We played Super Mario War for an hour and a half. the game has evolved by leaps and bounds over the last 2 years, there are like 100+ maps, and about 15 or 20 game modes, each one pretty fun. I like to be the Wizrobe!

Then we played this crazy game a friend has called the Acceleration of SUGURI X (PSN title)

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Roger Ebert's a great man, and that's absolute truth in my tone, no sarcasm.

Also awesome vid G Vice.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THIS GAME? Its amazing! It looks simple but there are like 30 control functions or something.
Dash cancels, bursts, combos, absorptions, projectile neutralization, 6 supers per character, 2 gauges, one being a supergauge one being an overheat guage that increases the damage take, and open up certain supers when you overheat. Some characters have counters or melee combos, each one is very unique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTcETzFMEm4&feature=player_profilepage

Its called the Accelartion of SUGIRI X Edition. Its 6 dollars on PSN but you can download it for PC I think.
It also has a youtube feature on replays so you can upload them right of your PS3!
Linked to my new youtube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/superbitwars#p/u/0/BTcETzFMEm4

There's a beginners wiki but its far from complete, it at least outlines the system a bit:
http://rockinandroid.mizuumi.net/wiki/Basics_(AOSX)

Top Bottom