• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Surprising what one trip to the town next door can do for ya.

I had time to kill, so I went with my mother to Lowe's for an hour. As I was about to leave the store, I ran into a friend of mine from high school who thought I was still in Dallas at SMU. He was shocked to see me, asked how I was doing, and when I told him I was trying to apply for a job at Lowe's, he said I could use him as a reference, and that he was going to transfer over to the Lowe's in Norman around the same time I was going to go back to campus, so I could so the same.

And what's more, the Staples next door to the Lowe's is hiring strictly for summer work.

I'm on a roll today. Nothing can stop me.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
i c wut u did thar.

and i dun liek it.

Lowe's is specifically looking for summer/seasonal work anyway, as is Staples.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, now I'm working at convergass where they have made the most draconian repressive reforms I've ever seen.

Did you ever read Roger Eberts 5 year diatribe against videogames as an artform? How about his criticism of just about every avante guard film as garbage in the last 15 years?
Yes he contributed alot to film criticism, and has a successful business. He has alot of insight into film, but he hasn't evolved with the 21st century. Even though he's an intelligent person, he has been increasingly coming off as a bligerant and ignorant old man, more cynical than even me, refusing to recognize redeeming qualities in every major film over the last few years. Entertainment, technology, and culture are changing, and Ebert just can't keep up anymore. I know transformers is goign to be awful, but I also know that there are technical feats and nostalgic appeal that are going to be extremely impressive. Just like I wouldn't shun a film with excellent acting for its terrible score, I wouldn't shun a film with excellent technical direction just because it has poor writing. Sure that sort of film doesn't deserve a perfect score, but it deserves varying levels of stars in each category, which can't possibly be .5 out of 4 on a movie with half billion dollars of investment.
Each element needs to be looked at and analyzed both individuall and holistically for a more intelligent and complete picture of a film.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
like most things, you're obviously very ignorant on film theory, and apparently ebert's reviews in general. he noted avatar's lack of an original story but still gave it a max rating & when he analyzes movies he keeps it in the context of its genre and intent unlike a large majority of film critics (there's a lot more evidence against your claim about him not appreciating or acknowledging new films but reading a few reviews would supply you with enough). you don't have to agree with everything he says...he's written about more movies than most of us have even heard of, so of course you won't agree with everything. he is pretty modern, claiming otherwise is hilarious. as far as video games go, kojima doesn't recognize video games video games as an art form...you notoriously think your opinion about games matters a lot for some reason, i wouldn't be surprised if you called kojima "ignorant." it's really just funny at this point, hence not biting my tongue for the umpteenth time.

on a more positive note, good video, gvice! i like the song, i'm a big ocr nerd. the quick double waveland to reach your opponent with an aerial was so good, you're like the zhu of ganondorf.

edit: so i keep going to norman...people should come up and see my huge pad here and play some smash bros with me and such and such once

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Derp we should go to an OoS tourney Melee/Brawl. :p

Tomorrow or Saturday anyone wanna play? (Melee,Brawl,AH3,TvC,SSF4,orBBCS2) i don't mind driving.

I need moar fawx practice lol. Late thank you but it was also fum chilling with you guys at the monthly chipotle was sooooo legit and forest thanks for letting me come by. Chris,Yawara,and Andy thanks for the melee help.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Not trying to ruffle any feathers Hazy. I really don't know you too well, and I know I can be pretty abrasive and know-it-allish, and I'm sorry if it put you off, but I would contend that I'm not ignorant about "most things" I speak of. I play excessive numbers of video games, I follow gaming news pretty closely, but more than that I comb through archives of gaming press like Atari Age, Nintendo Power, & EGM when doing research for class projects, so I like to think I'm not entirely ignorant on all of these topics. I am pretty passionate about gaming and as someone who grew up in a very different gaming culture I've got strong opinions that may differ from yours, and probably from alot of people, especially those that are younger than me (which is everyone but Po that frequents this board I expect). Do my opinions matter? Well I believe they do, just like everyone who holds a strong opinion, they hold it for reasons. The reason I choose to articulate my thoughts on games is mostly because of my discontent with many titles that I really want to be great titles. I want to see my favorite companies and developers continue in the tradition that made me a happy consumer and provided me with pleasant past times. If consumers never express their desire for products, or discontent for products, then things aren't likely to change.

I respect Kojima's opinion on just about any topic he comments on, whether I agree with it or not. He's an intelligent person. Ebert is as well, I respect his great knowledge and understand his position, but I don't agree with many of his aesthetic guidelines, that puts me in a minority, and I understand that. And you know he did overtly exclude video games from a number of significant cultural categories of which they are a part, and a few years later he admitted his ignorance, he backpeddled a bit and reassessed his position. This happened relatively recently, and so I still have the bad taste in my mouth about it. I've only read his opinions on movies I'm interested in, which are action films. Maybe I just like bad movies, but alot of those films ended up being quite important in the industry, were often times commercially successful, and brought together very talented people to create some impressive elements. After seeing the new Transformers, I can safely say that yeah, most of the elements of the film are as bad as I expected, but the actual Transformers themselves, their conflicts, combat, and characters are much more well done than in previous films, so you know a .5 out of 4 is exceedingly low considering the many elements of such a large production. It at least deserves a full star, half a star is just a slap in the face to some talented folks who worked hard to create some visceral and well realized robot combat, despite its shortcomings.

I know I have some personality quirks that can be upleasant, (many of us do I believe, and thats one thing that makes our communities diverse and interesting) but I'm an intelligent and kind person, and even though my cynicism and strong opinions can be offputting, I do listen and internalize dissenting opinions, and I'm trying to work on being less antagonistic when I disagree with people.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I've found the more critical about things you are, the harder it is to enjoy things in general. Nit picking at movies often ruins them in my opinion, but if people must give judgments, the rating you give movies should really be labeled specifically in combination with what reasoning used to make your judgment.

For example, I feel that based on story. Transformers is an extremely stupid movie. However technically as a 3D modeler my self I would say the graphics for the actual transformers are ridiculous. Other heavy 3D films such as Avatar might look more aesthetically appealing. But I guarantee the amount of effort it takes to make the 'transform' animation, texture map for a realistic looking machine, and synthesized sound fx for a robot in transformers greatly outweigh the difficulties of making a Forrest. All the models in Avatar used very simple skeleton models, even their mechs, and the animations probably used no more than a couple 500 moving bones that move in very straight forward motions. A transforming sequence to the degree in Transformers on the other hand required a couple 3 or 4 thousand bones and sequences, PLUS planning how everything would fit and fold together would take an extremely long time.

It might not be a good movie story wise, but when it comes down to just "looking" cool. I love seeing the robots transform, reload, looking at the sprites and textures for the weapon projectiles. It's truly and amazing movie in terms of technical ability to make everything look like that. If you asked me to rate Transformers based on just how cool it looks I'd give it a 4/5 at least.

It really just depends on what you are judging it by.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
THE GAUNTLET HAS BEEN THROWN DOWN!!

I've never seen Kuni lay down a challenge like that before... I'm actually a little scared now(and very proud--his balls seem to have finally dropped, lol)

As far as opinions, well, they're just that, OPINIONS... You have 'em, I have 'em... They're just like anuses that way(unless you're some bizarre mutant who was born without one, and are reduced to pooping through some medical device designed for pooping)

The thing that makes this Oklahoma group so awesome is the fact that we have so many diverse and strong personalities united under the banner of Smash. Yeah, we're not the best as far as winning is concerned(but we're trying, I hope), but we are the best at being the coolest group of mofos in this entire region(most likely the country, but New Yorkers are freakin' awesome). Whether it's Forest with his loli-obsessed, know-it-all-ism, and desire to be our go-to TO, or Alex and his passionate ideals, we all have something we bring to the table.

Where would we be without Kuni's 'gee-whiz' attitude and stupid crazy cyborg-like tech skill? Yawara's offbeat humor and hype? Andy, well, being Andy? Don't even get me started on Bryan's transformation from NERD RAGE to well, a pretty cool guy... Even I, for all my bluster and soapboxing, am ultimately just a guy who likes to play games... even better if I can share it with a large group of like-minded individuals.

Hey, could be worse... We could be a bunch of COD playin', Halo-loving, Madden obsessed fratboys with no redeeming factors beyond screaming "TOTALLY SWEET, BRO!"

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I went to Ebert's website to read his review for Transformers 3, and he actually gave it one full star.

Anyone want to do anything today? I'm going to be stranded at my dorm after I get out of class.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably want to play some smash, league, or both.
I went and read the review and it was meh. But yeah IDK how Sonic reported it had half a star which spurred all this NERD RAGE! lol

Glad we aren't brogamers.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
I can dig brogamers, they're not all bad. I like CoD, I like Halo, I like Madden, etc.
Actually, outside of smash those are my favorite games to play lol. WindWaker is my favorite game ever, get@me. If I didn't like smash and LoL, I'm sure you'd think I had absolutely no taste.
Rise to my bait! Hahahahaha! I'm actually telling the truth though lol.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
I never really liked fps games except CoD and goldeneye always tried to force myself to like them but eh.

I noticed that i don't even play video games that much anymore...lol

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Actually, outside of smash those are my favorite games to play lol. WindWaker is my favorite game ever, get@me.
Windwaker is a superb title, did you just read this kotaku article? Because Luke said the same thing.
http://kotaku.com/5817361/the-zelda-game-of-my-dreams/gallery/
My only complaint with Zelda's after MM (and to some extent LTTP) is the difficulty level. Windwaker has amazing art direction. I remember when the game was unveiled and so many people nerdraged, but the animations are so beautiful and the title was overwhelmingly well received. I'm actually excited about Skyward Sword returning to a cel-shaded, more artistically driven style, but I'm equally excited about detailed and gritty HD zelda that we will inevitably get on Wii-U.

Play more league with us Chozo!

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Got paid today, got mad respect for Ebert, and in my opinion, watching movies for special effects is a waste of money.

Aside from that, I'm ready for this new computer. Where the **** is it?

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
IMO, if they didn't spend half a billion dollars on special effects why would I spend 14 dollars to line Natalie Portman's pockets and see her ugly mug in 3 dimensions? But if everyone spent their money on the same thing we would have no variety!

Anyway I'm leaving for Las Vegas on Sunday morning.
So like...You can go call ricky if you want to get this thing before next sunday. Ill text you his number.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Thanks Po?

And lol, in my opinion, seeing movies in general is a waste of money. Then again, so is everything outside of buying food and comfortable bed accessories.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
>See a new Melee thread.
>Post something along the lines of "Brawl sux" or "lol Melee is a true game" or "Brawl players are not true players"
>Get internet cool points.

Basically what I see when I stroll into the Melee threads.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
>See a new Melee thread.
>Post something along the lines of "Brawl sux" or "lol Melee is a true game" or "Brawl players are not true players"
>Get internet cool points.

Basically what I see when I stroll into the Melee threads.
I still don't get why melee and brawl players got beef with each other...where is the love?

I like brawls playstyle and melees hell maybe next monthly I'll bring a ssb64 setup :)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I never see the Brawl players say anything malicious toward Melee. It's always the opposite that happens. Even in threads that don't even hint at Brawl. It's just very dumb and makes Melee players look sore as hell.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Thats not true Sonic, you can find some pretty rude comments about melee among Brawl players as well. I don't have a beef with Brawl players at all.

Its only natural for Melee players to be disappointed with Brawl, they spent thousands of hours and 8 years developing skills and ekeing every bit out of the game, diving deep into its mechanics, and then feeling uncomfortable with a very different product that removed alot of what they valued in the game, however people that started with Brawl enjoy their game very much, and it definitely takes alot of skill to play, no arguing with that! I don't really like the game myself, and there is alot of anger that should be directed directly at Nintendo, but ends up being taken out on people that consume and enjoy Brawl.

If anyone sounds like they are angry at Brawl players, then try and understand them as being angry with Nintendo, and channeling it at you, its not your fault, but you also don't deserve poor treatment because of it. That being said, playing brawl makes me exceedingly annoyed, and when I end up doing it in a competitive manner I do get aggravated at my opponent more than in any other game. Right after Brawl came out (A-Kon 2008, like 6 weeks after Brawl release.) I got really mad at Melee1 as he beat me with ice climbers and then metaknight, the funny thing was, I knew Melee1 was a good Melee player, and would have beat me in melee but I was just extremely pissed that he beat me so badly in Brawl because I didn't have the tools I was used to using to play Smash, and I wasn't even utilizing 1/3 the techskill functions I utilize today. The bare-bones spacing and back and forth threw me off, then the changrabs and disjointed hitboxes further frustrated me and discouraged me from appreciating the elements of the game that are appealing to others.

I think that Oklahoma is one of the few areas where Melee & Brawl players coexist at all! On that note, I think we do a pretty good job as a state. DFW and many other areas don't even know the players for each others games, and they have entirely separate threads! You think you would see Brawl at DoH monthlies?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
It's been something I've been looking at and surveying for about a year. No one said anything malicious to me, or vice versa.

What I'm saying is that the attitude in general is directed as such. I'm not singling out anyone in particular.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
So this guy at work just randomly challenged me for money to play him at Street Fighter <_<

He also told me he's been to every MLG and is RootDestiny on the EU server (RootDestiny in NA is like one of the most watched SCII players).

I wonder if he really is that good or not.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
How pathetic must you be to get denied a job from Lowe's? Because I've apparently met that plateau.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
They are probably The Sims players, considering their place of work, lol.

Sonic try TCIM, they'll hire you immediately, they'll work around your school schedule, they are just down the street from OU, and its such a garbage easy job with no future that you won't feel bad throwing it away on a whim.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
A friend of mine works at Lowe's, and told me that Lowe's will be looking for seasonal cashiers starting next Friday. I'll apply for one of those jobs then, and if I don't get it, I quit until the next semester.

I have no idea what TCIM is, but it's not a concern of having a job when I get back to Norman; I've been told I can walk right back to my job at the Malt Shop. My problem is getting a job NOW so I can get money NOW so I can start saving it for things that I'll need LATER on.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I get off at 12:15, but the girlie wants me home early enough so I don't like walk in and wake her up at 3:00 you know?

Top Bottom