• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oh dear... The impossible has happened ! WARNING SPOILERS (Smash 4 is hackable)

Hyped for this ?

• Total voters

drogoth232

Smash Lord
@ drogoth232 drogoth232 True true... But none of us showed extreme super duper excitement. Just because I put "YEAH WHY WOULDN'T I !!!" in the poll doesn't mean EXTREME ETIKA **** GROW EXCITMENT. It's just a other meaning of "Yes"
Bruh

However, I'm worried that smash 4 hacking might lead to people getting dlc characters for free which will surely cause a s**tstorm with nintendo.
I'm assuming that you're talking about,how the guy got ryus and roys files over Mario. I think it won't work if it's online because of desync. But if people figure out how to get an extra slot on screen then we might have a problem.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
I doubt we'll get that far, considering we've recently just set foot into Sm4sh modding.

Personally, we've got music working so to me we've already achieved the necessary basics. We shouldn't push too hard lest we stub on some toes and halt Smash 4's DLC development.

...and, y'know, get ****canned.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
@ drogoth232 drogoth232 @ LC-DDM LC-DDM It won't take long. Smash 4's code seems to be heavily based on Brawl's. We know for a fact that the online and sound components are incredibly similar, and I have reason to suspect (as someone who's never looked at either games' code itself, mind you) that the character files are stored in a similar fashion.

We already know how to add more character slots in Brawl. It's only a matter of time before the DLC gets cracked too. It almost certainly won't affect DLC development. The Wii has been so laughably easy to pirate games on and Nintendo still developed for it. One of a PC's primary functions is to copy data, and it still gets games. The PS1 is one of the most successful consoles ever made and you can run burned games by changing the disk. When we do crack it, it won't affect much, if anything, at all. The fighter ballot characters are probably the last ones we're going to see anyways, judging by some of Sakurai's comments, so why not go all-out trying to crack this thing?

Last edited:

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
The other interesting tidbit is that because the DLC was hard coded in the game, hacking it would enable people to have the characters unlocked without having to pay for it. It's technically a bad thing... But the other stuff people can do with the coding is cool too.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Reading a few pages of a thread helps get you up to speed. Usually, reading the OP (if not the first page) and the most recent 2-3 pages is all you need, but for relatively short threads like this I usually read the whole thing.

rabbitxp

Smash Rookie
i did read but how do you go about implementing this hack to change the music

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Is the Smash 4 coding similar enough to Brawl's that it would be possible later on (once the game is more easily-hackable) to use slightly-modified Brawl hacking tools (ie BrawlBox, CSS/SSS editors, Costume/Stage managers, etc)?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
i did read but how do you go about implementing this hack to change the music
If you're running a system menu version below 5.4.0, you can go to a webpage on your Wii U that will let you run a program called "Cafiine". Unfortunately, connecting your Wii U to the Internet will force an update, so if you have the most recent update of Smash 4, you can't use the exploit.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
@ drogoth232 drogoth232 @ LC-DDM LC-DDM It won't take long. Smash 4's code seems to be heavily based on Brawl's. We know for a fact that the online and sound components are incredibly similar, and I have reason to suspect (as someone who's never looked at either games' code itself, mind you) that the character files are stored in a similar fashion.

We already know how to add more character slots in Brawl. It's only a matter of time before the DLC gets cracked too. It almost certainly won't affect DLC development. The Wii has been so laughably easy to pirate games on and Nintendo still developed for it. One of a PC's primary functions is to copy data, and it still gets games. The PS1 is one of the most successful consoles ever made and you can run burned games by changing the disk. When we do crack it, it won't affect much, if anything, at all. The fighter ballot characters are probably the last ones we're going to see anyways, judging by some of Sakurai's comments, so why not go all-out trying to crack this thing?
Or... y'know, Soneek could've just written something to port BRSTMs into the new filesystem used by both Smashes for music.

As for the characters' slots, yeah, okay. And just HOW ****ing long did it take us from the start of Brawl modding to now? I think you're undermining people's efforts here. Then again, given your tirade about DLCs earlier, I really shouldn't be surprised.

It's really not as simple as 'changing the disc' for PS1 stuff either, since there's a few additional steps to that - and that's if you don't have swap magic or similar... or if you're not completely stupid and just modchip the damn console to begin with.

All I'm saying is we should tread cautiously and have a little ****ing respect for a console game still in development rather than just assume ****'s almost the same as in Brawl. These grounds are different than your typical PC game - and not just file-wise.

rabbitxp

Smash Rookie
i agree with LC here the game is still fairly new and people need time to flesh out the game before modding it can go any further. Modding brawl didnt happen over time it was a process that took time and this is gonna take some time. Also yeah i wont be modding any time soon like i did brawl until the game actually fleshes out with all the content nintendo wants to provide.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
@ LC-DDM LC-DDM
BrawlBRSTMs3 said:
They use Nintendo's DSP ADPCM, just like BRSTM did, but they store it a little different. It's Namco's IDSP variation, and all IDSPs are stored inside NUS3BANK archives. I'm looking for those parameters. There's gonna be a lot going on over this summer in terms of Smash U hacking. :)
Actually, yes you can play burned PS1 disks just by jamming a wad of tape in the "disk tray open/closed" switch and swapping disks with a purchased game a few times. I've done it, it's not hard. Forgive me for trying to keep it brief by not giving a full tutorial in a completely unrelated thread.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
I like how you conveniently missed the part where I said there's better ways to play burned PS1 discs. Don't try to school me at my childhood experiences.

I -will- admit there's a method to Soneek's madness, and it's workin'.

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe
The data inside SSB4 is not understood by many. A fair portion of the files inside the ISO have yet to be 100% decoded.

The music part reminds me a bit of Brawl. Definetly the "easiest" part of the hacks.

As for custom textures.... there's still progress to be done, let's say.

Superfiremario

Smash Apprentice
Music hacks? I can't wait! And I imagine we can create alternate stages in the future using the Omega stages. And we could put the clones as costumes for the originals and use their voices like the Koopalings and use those slots for unique characters. Of course that is the distant future but the very thought excites me.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait until somebody makes a green and purple alt for Dr. Mario
thanks doc

Music hacks? I can't wait! And I imagine we can create alternate stages in the future using the Omega stages. And we could put the clones as costumes for the originals and use their voices like the Koopalings and use those slots for unique characters. Of course that is the distant future but the very thought excites me.
We'll see. We don't even know if the Omega stages have their own files or if they're attachments to the original stage. 'Clones as costumes for originals' will likely work as well as Brawl did (which is to say, poorly) if we're putting them 'out of the box' and not adapting them.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Yeah tbh I wasn't that hyped for Sm4sh hacking... and then I saw that video with Pokemon XD music in Pokemon Stadium 2. Even if it's mostly changing around songs already in the game, music hacks are going to be so hype for me

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
The day Sm4sh modding tools came out were the greatest day of your life......But for me it was

(In other words this is what i'm gonna make.Just an idea)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I haven't really managed to get into the Brawl modding scene. (I have tried out many of the assets posted over at the Brawl Vault though) If this manages to reach similar heights sometime in the future. I wouldn't mind trying my hand on Smash 4 modding myself. Mainly texture and costume modding in particular....

But for now, I think it's pretty neat that people can already modify the sound track, albeit on an earlier Wii U firmware version.....

Last edited:

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
I haven't really managed to get into the Brawl modding scene. (I have tried out many of the assets posted over at the Brawl Vault though) If this manages to reach similar heights sometime in the future. I wouldn't mind trying my hand on Smash 4 modding myself. Mainly texture and costume modding in particular....

But for now, I think it's pretty neat that people can already modify the sound track, albeit on an earlier Wii U firmware version.....
Also if there is enough work we can port brawl hacks to smash 4 (I mean textures and possibly stages) And if we're lucky enough Porting PSA's will be a thing.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I think I'll wait til there's more data and maybe some guides or tools before I start mucking with my wiiu, however the prospect of inserting music files excites me. Too soon to start work on a mod like Brawl Minus or Project M though. And I still have so many mods to test on my wii still
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEVZ3Cy2tVE

Don't they brick systems they sense have hacks on them?
I am not aware of a malevolent force that will destroy your console for downloading homebrew. However, unplugging the console while updating it or downloading files will most definitely brick it, regardless of mods.
Amateurs might brick the system by accidentally deleting important files or downloading shady programs, but the pros have put measures in place to idiot-proof it from people like me. For example, A program called BootMii will un-brick the console if something goes awry. All your data in tact.
As for mods like Project M, thousands of community members have been playing it and I can attest to its safety in concerns of your wii or wiiu. Its so safe because all the data comes from an SD card, instead of being stored directly in your wii.

Last edited:

Trainermax

Smash Rookie
It signals the start of the Wii U modding scene. Watching the videos, right now it's just simple stuff like using parts you haven't unlocked, or changing characters outside of the character select screen. But it opens up the potential for bigger, better mods like custom stages or model replacements.
Wasn't there modding for super smash brawl? or at least, all my friends modded

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
It signals the start of the Wii U modding scene. The Wii scene has been there for a while now.

Oh yes. Many Zero Suit mains were well aware of Brawl mods.
You know, there are actually some tasteful ones out there. I, myself, use the ZSS model by SJS.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The modding scene for Brawl is absolutely huge. They've reached the point where you can just add characters to the roster without overwriting anyone.

:231:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
@ Iceweasel Iceweasel , i'm an idiot with this; theoretically, will it be possible to have music hacks and still play online? or is that a pipe dream and i should stop thinking about it?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
@ Iceweasel Iceweasel , i'm an idiot with this; theoretically, will it be possible to have music hacks and still play online? or is that a pipe dream and i should stop thinking about it?
Unless you get a black MIDI track that makes the game lag when you play it, I don't think there will be a problem. In Brawl, music choices were synchronized between consoles. If your console only played Go K.K. Rider on Smashville, while your opponent's played everything but Go K.K. Rider, one of you is going to see a track you don't care for. If you used custom music, it wouldn't break anything.

Smash 4 is a little different. Music choices are asynchronous, which means that someone who likes Go K.K. Rider and someone who doesn't like Go K.K. Rider can hear whatever songs they like on Smashville. The only way I could see music hacks possibly breaking online is if different amounts of system resources were devoted to music on each console. However, this didn't seem to be a problem in Brawl, and it's clearly not a problem with the default music in Sm4sh, so unless you're trying to break it I don't see there being a problem.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Unless you get a black MIDI track that makes the game lag when you play it, I don't think there will be a problem. In Brawl, music choices were synchronized between consoles. If your console only played Go K.K. Rider on Smashville, while your opponent's played everything but Go K.K. Rider, one of you is going to see a track you don't care for. If you used custom music, it wouldn't break anything.

Smash 4 is a little different. Music choices are asynchronous, which means that someone who likes Go K.K. Rider and someone who doesn't like Go K.K. Rider can hear whatever songs they like on Smashville. The only way I could see music hacks possibly breaking online is if different amounts of system resources were devoted to music on each console. However, this didn't seem to be a problem in Brawl, and it's clearly not a problem with the default music in Sm4sh, so unless you're trying to break it I don't see there being a problem.
thats great. but what's this about using an older firmware? you can't play online unless you have the newest updates, right? or is this hack attempting to get around that?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
thats great. but what's this about using an older firmware? you can't play online unless you have the newest updates, right? or is this hack attempting to get around that?
The exploit got patched out in system menu version 5.4.0. It had something to do with flaws in the web browser. When I updated my copy of Smash 4, my console's firmware was also updated without my knowledge or permission. I double-checked my settings, and according to what it tells me it shouldn't check for any updates to anything unless I specifically command it to, much less install them. Some users reported that their consoles were still updated, even though they weren't connected to the Internet at all. How is this possible? Well, they had had them connected in the past, but deleted their Wi-Fi settings to prevent automatic updates. This console will tell you it has deleted your connection settings, but still keeps a copy for Nintendo to have a backdoor. I don't even know how that's legal, that's a major security flaw intentionally built directly into the damn thing.

Version 5.4.0 was released at the same time as 1.0.8, and the current version is 1.0.9. Our only hope right now is that we can get a fully-functional NUS (Nintendo Update Service) downloader tool so we can selectively patch our system. It was pretty common in the Wii homebrew scene, since almost every one of the later patches either broke an exploit or simply deleted the Homebrew Channel. Then we used Gecko, a region-free game loader, to play our games. Why? Gecko had an option to skip the update partition on the disks. Even after the selective patching, certain games still insisted on updating certain parts of the firmware, though very few of them actually needed these updates to run properly. The worst that ever happened to me is that some of the models and textures failed to load on a certain side mission in The Last Story, but I only did that mission once and it was on my hacked Wii, so it really could have been any number of other things.

TL;DR: To guarantee the safety of game mods, we need to be able to selectively update our games, see and delete hidden wireless connections, and a special launcher that will let us skip to the game without checking for updates.

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
This might be a double post but. Someone hacked the amiibo ids and somewhat released the thing.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/amiibo-recognizing-figures-from-nfc-data-pages-need-help.390064/
Sorry but that's just the encrypted read data of the amiibo's 4 bytes. Amiibo use a laughable 32 bit encryption, with their only security being a 7 try lockout (which only locks out their write access anyway). I released an app in the Google Play store a few months back, to "backup" an amiibo, and write copies to any NTAG 213,215 or 216. I started writing a kernel (based on CM) to do the same thing, which i may release later on. anyway if youre interested in doing it with your own amiibo, heres the app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nodroidnolife.amiibobackupandrestore&hl=am

Top Bottom