• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oh dear... The impossible has happened ! WARNING SPOILERS (Smash 4 is hackable)

Hyped for this ?

• Total voters

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
@ MrGame&Rock MrGame&Rock

Bruh, music hacks would be my jam. But why would you change the music for Smashville? There's only 1 song you'd ever want to play on that stage, and no reason to select another: Go KK Rider. In fact, let's make ALL the music Go KK Rider! Menu theme? Go KK Rider! Victory theme? Go KK Rider! Every sound effect? Go KK Rider! As much as I love the music and sound design for Smash 4, it can't be denied that making everything you hear become Go KK Rider would vastly improve the game.

In fact, why not make all the textures Go KK Rider? There has to be some way to force the game to interpret a sound file as an image file. If not, there's probably some way we could convert it with a computer.

Why stop at textures? Let's use the same process to make all models Go KK Rider! And when we're done with that, let's find some way to turn the whole game's code into Go KK Rider!

It seems like we'd be on too much of a roll to stop there, but I'm having a hard time thinking of ways to make the game more Go KK Rider after literally making the whole game Go KK Rider. As a community, we need to put out heads together and work this conundrum out.
Obviously the next step is to convert the hardware into Go KK Rider as well.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
@ Chiroz Chiroz If you're willing to pay extra for things that should have been part of the main game, you're part of the problem. You're saying that it's okay to gyp you, and in fact they'll make more money from doing so.

Releasing Sm4sh close to December can't make a major impact on sales. It's one of those games that are going to be sold new throughout the system's life span, because people keep buying it. I can go down to Wal-Mart and find new copies of Brawl. They don't have them because they didn't sell, they have them because they kept reordering it throughout the Wii's life cycle.

I had always heard that a game went from concept to release in about 4 years. Can you cite your source that few games are made in longer than 3 years?

Good. There's too much potential for abuse and a metric ****ton of actual abuse of the system. By rejecting DLC, we might finally go back to a gaming world where you bought a game and got a satisfying experience in and of itself. Remember when there was actual effort put into the game? Companies tried to convince consumers to buy their games over their competitors' by trying to make the best possible game they could. These days, who cares? Just shove some crap down their throats, then when they complain about lack of challenge mode/bonus missions/sidequests/other vidya stuff, throw some DLC at them. Bonus points if it was something that was going to be in the game originally, but got cut to avoid delays. Did you know that every game made today can have its sales predicted rather accurately? Companies like Ubisoft are good at this, because they want a certain number to show up for a certain quarter, either to satisfy the stockholders or for tax reasons. Let me repeat that, the quality of the games you buy have been reduced, had features cut, rushed to market, whatever you want to call it, because some CEO wants to impress some stockholders or some jackoff in accounting thinks they can save a couple extra bucks on their taxes. What happens to the stuff that got removed or not finished? It gets sold back to you, for extra money, as DLC.

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever" - Shigeru Miyamoto

Once again you show how little you understand of how actual business work. Even if total sales were to remain the same which they FOR SURE don't. Since you know, thousands of companies don't just guess this kind of stuff there is people who'se sole job is researching this kind of stuff. Are you saying that advertising for a known product is completely useless? Because the whole point of advertising is to create momentary hype for a product, but you're saying that doesn't affect the sales if the product is big enough. So why then do every single company in every single media do it? Care to explain?

Not only that but there are things called records which affect how a game is viewed later on. If a game you do not know about has the greatest first week sales of all time, you will probably do a little research about why it's so popular. There are MANY things companies take into account when releasing a game. Releasing it so that it doesn't overlap with another major title, releasing it at a prime time for the console (or delaying it until such a time or next console). Releasing it during a high sales time. All of this is vital.

You seem to still not understand the fact that games have to have a schedule to be made. They are not just worked on forever. A scope is made in the beginning about how long the game will last, features are designed and a scope is made. Sometimes the scope is not met and thus the game is delayed. DLC is supposed to be things that go BEYOND that first scope. Meaning that if DLC wasn't there it wouldn't be done.

The problem here is you're just a kid, or a very immature person. It is very common of young people to just follow other points of view blindly or as it's commonly referred to "sheep" behind arguments without having any kind of knowledge or actual valid base or opinion on the manner. Basically you have made an opinion based on other people who have told you specific things without you knowing **** about the actual thing you're discussing. Not only that but you have 0 idea about any of the logistics behind you. The biggest problem is normally people who do not like to research and are too close minded to understand other points of view.

DLC can be used to scam you, sure, there's no doubt about that. But no one can make a game for 6 years and expect any type of benefits from it, as such a timeline is made, if the timeline isn't met, depending on the situation the game can be delayed or it can be stripped of features.

Sure, I get your point, sometimes those stripped features are resold as DLC when in fact they should have been included with the game. I am sure that happens plenty and you can be as mad as you want about that, but also you need to be smart. You need to understand that not every single DLC is like that (in fact most ARE NOT like that). Sometimes an schedule is met, the game is released. All the economic projections for the game were fulfilled, making more content would mean that the company is losing in it's investment.

You might think, they aren't losing, they are still earning money! Well, no. Economics and investments aren't viewed in brute (raw) earnings. They are normally viewed as possible earnings, as in what could have been achieved otherwise (otherwise known as opportunity costs).

Game cycles are normally 2-3 years for triple A games. Any game with less quality is normally less than that. My source is the fact that I studied 6 years of computer science with a specialization in game development.

Also you can look at most games. How often do you see CODs get released? What about Uncharted? How about Marios? Zeldas? Mortal Kombat? You also have to remember that these games don't instantly start development as soon as a previous game finishes, so there is time in between sequels where the game isn't being made (Blizzard didn't really spend 10 years making SC2 or D3).

Just so you can understand how stupid your logic is, if we follow it to the extreme that you yourself are taking it then none of the Uncharteds should exist except for the first, since all of the content should have been in the first game. So they should be releasing the first Uncharted in a year with everything on it. None of the Mass Effects either, or the Bioshocks. None of the games that have sequels that do not change the gameplay should exist at all. They should have all been in the first game, no?

For you what constitutes the end of the game cycle? When should a game end being produced? Should it go on forever, never release ever? Then no one plays it at all?

The production should end at some point so that users can actually play the game, no? I think you can agree on that, so then what if the players want something extra on the game? What if everyone unanimously agrees that they would like a sequel because the game was so good, or just an added feature to give it more replay ability? The developers are willing to give the fans exactly what they want, but they just have one problem, who'se going to pay for the costs? Is the developer supposed to just develop it for free and use their own money to give you something extra you are asking for? What happens when the developer is not Nintendo (or Sony/Microsoft/EA, etc) and just CANNOT pay to continue developing content, they just don't have the money?

Why is kickstarter so popular? Why pay for something that hasn't been made? The developer should just make it and sell it for free, no? I mean everyone is obligated to pay from their own pockets to make stuff so that you can enjoy it for free, that's how it works, no?

I am done with this thread. I honestly get frustrated when people just follow trends (like DLC hating) without having any kind of concept or idea about what they are discussing about. It's what makes the human race so bigoted in every sense of the world. People who have not one care to actually research or analyze concepts before infecting others minds with their own bigoted beliefs.

This discussion didn't start because of DLC either. It started because you said "downloading software is not stealing because no one loses money". I tried to show you that someone does in fact lose money, and also there are many people who might lose jobs or future salaries depending on what kind of software it is and how their job description is linked to their previous product successes (A game developer is normally hired and paid depending on the previous games they've worked on).

I told you, I don't care if you do it, most of us (including myself) have done it at some point. But I understand how and why my actions have repercussions and I don't act like it's the right thing and that I am inflicting justice upon the evil doers of the world.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
As long as people don't start finding ways to cheat online, I could care less about whatever the heck people decide to do with this.

I'm satisfied with Smash 4 as it is.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
As long as it doesn't harm me any way, I couldn't care less.

Do what you want with the thing you paid for :glare:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
When Peach's Castle N64 comes out as DLC, I'd like somebody with modding skills to mod a Bowser's Castle skin for it, and hack the music accordingly. That would be nice

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
HOLY CRAP GUYS !!!
SMASH 4 JUST GOT MODDED !

ALSO NOW EVER ONE CAN STOP SAYING THE NEWEST WiiU VERSION IS UNHACKED! SEE BELOW.
ONCE AGAIN I WANT THIS TO BE A MOD ONLY THREAD NOT A DLC/FIGHTER,SALES RANT THREAD!

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
HOLY CRAP GUYS !!!
SMASH 4 JUST GOT MODDED !

ALSO NOW EVER ONE CAN STOP SAYING THE NEWEST WiiU VERSION IS UNHACKED! SEE BELOW.
ONCE AGAIN I WANT THIS TO BE A MOD ONLY THREAD NOT A DLC/FIGHTER,SALES RANT THREAD!
Cool! Is it possible to change the in-game names of the songs as well?
EDIT: I just found this:
You can change not only the song title, but also the source game and descriptions! Now I can satisfy my urge to go all OCD and give songs their proper descriptions.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
@ Dhillz521 Dhillz521 That's pretty easily faked. Turn off the music in Options, then add it back in post.

@ allison allison That's much harder to fake, I'm pretty convinced it's legit now.

As hyped as I am, I feel it's worth noting that that's not the current version of Sm4sh. It lists 1.0.7, the current version (with Our Boy and the rest) is 1.0.8. Nintendo forced every Wii U connected to the Internet (as well as a few ) to update to System Menu 5.4.0, which breaks the exploit being used to run unlicensed code. In other words, if you update your copy of Sm4sh, you'll have your Wii U forcibly updated to not run the code.

That said, if the Wii U's update service is similar to the Wii's, it could theoretically be bypassed. There are several Wii tools, most of which contain "NUS" (Nintendo Update Service) in the title, that let you either download and install only certain parts of updates, or use a PC tool to download the bits of the update you want and install it with a separate homebrew utility.

So we're definitely closer than we were, but there's still some work to be done.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
@ Iceweasel Iceweasel Yes progress is progress. But your forgetting that the 2nd video is 1.08 because Ryu,Roy And Lucas Were in.
My mistake, I missed that. However, I still have reservations about being completely sure it's legit. Caffiine was released yesterday, and AFAIK a new exploit has not yet been released, which means that the uploader (Merricktherox, 80 subs) is likely either a developer or a prankster. I can't easily locate a list of who all's working on the project, but through Internet detective work I've come up with a (probably partial) list of who's been working on a WiiU hacking project, in some way or another. It appears that there are two different teams that found different exploits, and I'm not sure who's done what. Only things related to Wii U will be listed, though many of these people also worked on Wii mods.

Hykem (webkit exploit)
NWPlayer123 (real name Nick Poelma, webkit exploit, Splatoon hacking)
Marionumber1 (NSMBU hacking, Cafiine)
MrRean (possibly a typo of the next person's name)
MrBean3500vr (MK8 hacking, Cafiine)
Chadderz (Cafiine, MK8 hacking, TCP Gecko dotNET [a sort of memory modifier program])
soneek (Cafiine, Sm4sh hacking)
Matthew_Wi (TCP Gecko dotNET)

I couldn't find any evidence that Merrick has ever been involved in any hacking or game modding group. The only evidence I found that he might be legitimate is that he has the exact same number of subscribers to his Youtube channel as soneek. By contrast, I have several reasons to suspect that the video is faked. For one, if he's been working with the Cafiine people, why didn't he change the song names? The video by BrawlBRSTMs3 showed that it's possible. One of Hykem's posts implied that their webkit exploits were patched, and he seems to have little to no knowledge of the supposed kernel exploit beyond "it exists". Marionumber1 made a post that said that they may not be able to decrypt NUS updates for paid applications with the tools he had. If this is true, how can an unknown quantity like Merrick be able to play on the latest version of the game?

I'm almost completely sure the video linked by crazyal is legit, though. It's by a known uploader (BrawlBRSTMs3, >100K subs) who could reasonably be expected to have been given a WIP edition for promotional purposes.

I say this not to rain on anybody's parade, but because I don't want people to get their hopes up if it turns out that it can't be done with the current version (what tournaments will use) of Smash Bros. We'll probably see it at some point, but it may not happen for awhile.

Bonus: It may, sad to say, be awhile before Hykem releases anything. https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-homebrew-discussion.367489/page-327#post-5529452

In my research for this post, I found that Cafiine and TCPGecko dotNET have recently been released. This is likely where BrawlBRSTMs3 got the program for their video. No, I don't know where to find the webkit exploit page, look for it yourself. Possibly fake, I haven't checked them out yet.
Currently relatively untested and possibly unstable, use at your own risk.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/does-anyone-have-the-built-version-of-tcp-gecko-dot-net.391721/

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
@ Iceweasel Iceweasel Awesome now all we need is the Exploit. Also it should comeout very
soon. Maybe in the next month. Also Merrick Has a smashboards account.
Also a lot of people Copy Mr.Bean VR Somethings name like th
at.http://smashboards.com/members/merricktherox.241887/
Also old news but Dr.**** has something to show.

@Merricktherox
Actually, I don't think that was a hack. It looks like a transmission error. I say this because it first showed up long before it was even rumored that there was a working Wii U hack, and Smash U had only recently been released, which makes it unlikely that someone had got everything together needed to do this.

Plus, footage of the tomato glitch in multiplayer seemed to imply that Smash 4's online worked like Brawl's, which only sent over inputs and would desync if the games interpreted hitboxes and damage separately from each other.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

He's started replacing sounds for moves as well.
While the video is nice and is related to the discussion, I think it would be better for you to go present yourself before posting. Go here to present yourself properly.
Please understand.

Last edited:

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
Cool! Is it possible to change the in-game names of the songs as well?
EDIT: I just found this:
You can change not only the song title, but also the source game and descriptions! Now I can satisfy my urge to go all OCD and give songs their proper descriptions.
Not gonna lie, would love to play some local battles with the Tales series soundtrack!

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
What upsets me about the music hack is how easy it would have been to add it as a feature in the game. It wouldn't affect the online mode, just the game of the user. And seeing how hackers find their way to add them in, I don't think it's that hard to add a feature like this.

Dammit Sakurai and your team, why couldn't you just add this feature instead of letting hackers doing it ? It makes no sense when you think about it.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
What upsets me about the music hack is how easy it would have been to add it as a feature in the game. It wouldn't affect the online mode, just the game of the user. And seeing how hackers find their way to add them in, I don't think it's that hard to add a feature like this.

Dammit Sakurai and your team, why couldn't you just add this feature instead of letting hackers doing it ? It makes no sense when you think about it.
It's really a feature all games should have, or even better, the console itself. PS4 allows Spotify to play over any game's music.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
It's really a feature all games should have, or even better, the console itself. PS4 allows Spotify to play over any game's music.
Well, for most games it would kill the mood. If I was a dev making an atmospheric horror game, I certainly wouldn't want that. Same if I was making an RPG, or really almost anything at all.

But for a fighting game? I can't see any reason to not allow it.

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
Well, for most games it would kill the mood. If I was a dev making an atmospheric horror game, I certainly wouldn't want that. Same if I was making an RPG, or really almost anything at all.

But for a fighting game? I can't see any reason to not allow it.
Exactly.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
More progress, but I'm not seeing Project μ being a thing if you have to do a factory reset on your Wii U every time you want to switch between the latest SSB4U and whatever mod you're running. I contacted Merrick about how he had hacked an updated copy of Smash 4, and he said 2 days ago that he'd have a video demonstration up. In fairness, I've done video editing before and it takes a lot longer than you'd think. I'm going to assume that this hack is done on 1.0.7 until I see something that tells me otherwise.

Original video here, for those that dislike giving views to reply girls. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h0EmDEwub0

dantarionX: Knows programming. Done work on Brawl hacks. Plays League of Legends and a lot of fighting games, including SF4, Skullgirls, something called UNIEL, and MKX. Has done hacking for a lot of fighting games, including a bot that plays Ken in SF4. This bot is apparently really good. I couldn't find any evidence to tie him to a developer of any Wii U-related hacks

Clearly, Dantarion knows his stuff. However, I couldn't see anything in the video, or any of the videos on his channel, nor anything in his blog or Twitter feed, that would indicate this is 1.0.8. Besides, Smash 4's engine seems to be heavily based on Brawl's, so it probably didn't take much to figure out how to mod characters in SSB4.

If you want to contact Dantarion, you can find him at:
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/dantarionX/videos
Twitter: https://twitter.com/dantarion
Blog: http://dantarion.com/
Nintendo dojo: http://nintendodojo.com/profile.aspx?id=11609
Github: https://github.com/dantarion/doapctools
Unreal forums (possibly not the same Dantarion): https://forums.unrealengine.com/member.php?9872-Dantarion
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/dantarion
Smashboards: http://smashboards.com/members/dantarion.63035/
Skullgirls forums: http://skullheart.com/index.php?members/dantarion.5096/

Smash 4 frame data (outdated): http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/mastercore2/

Of course, a good many of these accounts are abandoned. There were several other profiles I found that could belong to Dantarion, but a cursory inspection left nothing to tie it back to the Dantarion we're interested in.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
More progress, but I'm not seeing Project μ being a thing if you have to do a factory reset on your Wii U every time you want to switch between the latest SSB4U and whatever mod you're running. I contacted Merrick about how he had hacked an updated copy of Smash 4, and he said 2 days ago that he'd have a video demonstration up. In fairness, I've done video editing before and it takes a lot longer than you'd think. I'm going to assume that this hack is done on 1.0.7 until I see something that tells me otherwise.
Every music hack I've seen has been using 1.0.7 so I'm certain you're right.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Every music hack I've seen has been using 1.0.7 so I'm certain you're right.
Well, there was that one video put out by Merrick, but it's laughably easy to fake music hacks and the supposed video guide to hacks on 5.4.0 hasn't materialized yet. I don't want to call him a liar, especially after so little time has passed since I contacted him, but I'm definitely still skeptical.

D

Deleted member

Really hyped for something like Project M to come outta this. Even if not that, a modification that nerfs some of the defensive aspects of Smash 4 would be pretty wicked. :grin:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Really hyped for something like Project M to come outta this. Even if not that, a modification that nerfs some of the defensive aspects of Smash 4 would be pretty wicked. :grin:
The only problem, or rather the biggest problem, with nerfing the defensive options is that 8 player Smash relies on them heavily. I'm certain the ledge mechanics are also a result of 8 player Smash. If something were to be developed, it'd have to keep that in mind.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I'd be happy with a music hack and a joystick sensitivity nerf. Seriously, my controller is pretty well broken-in, and the window between tilt and smash is so small that I just can't rely on quick tilts in this game. If nothing else, there should be an option to use A for tilts only, since you can now charge smashes with the C-stick.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'd be happy with a music hack and a joystick sensitivity nerf. Seriously, my controller is pretty well broken-in, and the window between tilt and smash is so small that I just can't rely on quick tilts in this game. If nothing else, there should be an option to use A for tilts only, since you can now charge smashes with the C-stick.
You can change the C-Stick to tilts, unless you prefer charging smashes that way.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
You can change the C-Stick to tilts, unless you prefer charging smashes that way.
I've gotten too used to default controls. It took months to program my brain to jump with the buttons instead of up. I've had L set to jump almost ever since I got the game, but I almost never use it because I've gotten so used to using X that I never think to hit L. I tried tilt-sticking during Brawl, and after a few months I gave up because I just couldn't retrain my brain to perform the right inputs.

Of course, I'd advise any new player to do tilt-sticking, but I just can't manage to redo my muscle memory. Which kind of sucks, because part of how I chose my characters was how disastrous it would be if I smashed instead of tilted.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Now I can satisfy my urge to go all OCD and give songs their proper descriptions.
Maaan, yes! This, this!

I guess the flood gates are opening now. It'll be interesting to see where this all leads in the end.

to be honest I'm happy people figured this out so we can get past "man they should make project m for smash 4" discussions in the not-to distant future already

Last edited:

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
We need a Super Broken Bros. 4.
Also it seems Brawl Custom Music now has the data for smash 4 WiiU And 3DS.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
No reason to get excited until the tools are released and easily accessible. Which might take a while, especially considering that patches are a thing. Along with the possibility of system updates, then who knows.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
If they're easier to implement than Project M and actually available in Europe, that'd be nice. I would only be interested in stages though.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
Baby steps, people, baby steps. We can't expect miles when we've barely traversed inches.

Still, this is rather interesting.

Dhillz521

Smash Apprentice
@ drogoth232 drogoth232 True true... But none of us showed extreme super duper excitement. Just because I put "YEAH WHY WOULDN'T I !!!" in the poll doesn't mean EXTREME ETIKA **** GROW EXCITMENT. It's just a other meaning of "Yes"

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
I'm really excited at the prospect of a modded smash 4. As much as i already like smash 4 I'd really like to see what it'd be like with more hitstun with more DI. I'd like the older ledge mechanics too. However, I'm worried that smash 4 hacking might lead to people getting dlc characters for free which will surely cause a s**tstorm with nintendo.

Top Bottom