• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Tier List v8

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Every low tier user says their character is underrated.

But wouldn't that imply that, if every low tier character is underrated, the order of characters is pretty much the same now as it would be if the characters weren't "underrated"

Also Jigglypuff is SSS tier you guys are all idiots if you don't see it ;)

Tesh

Smash Hero
Why is Ness so low on your tier list?
Fow and Shaky have really good wins vs top level players and Ness has had decent tournament results, including first place at Whobo 4 mid tier singles.

Here are a list of top players that have lost to Ness.
Rich Brown, DEHF, Trela, Salem, Tyrant, Abadango, Denti, Ally (mid tier singles), and an old post by Gheb_01 saids that Ryo lost to ness.
you can't really count ally losing in mid tier singles when he doesnt main a mid tier. shaky beat mcpeepants twice though, so you could toss that in there. I think Ness should move up to at least Sonic's level. His recovery and grab release issues arent nearly as crippling as Sonics difficulty killling good characters, Peach's missing airdodge, or DK and ROB having awful shield coverage.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
ITT: People who don't use Jigglypuff and have never played against a Jigglypuff and have no more authority on Jigglypuff's match-ups and position on the tier list than I do telling me that I'm wrong without any justifcation.

It's cute that putting a character low on a list is enough to create an unshakable confirmation bias in you kids.

Rizen

Smash Legend
@DarkPeach see Dtilt spoiler section http://www.smashboards.com/threads/fairy-fountain-research-thread-buhbye-ol-chum.218082/
LOL why are we talking about jiggs.... god this thread is going nowhere real fast
LOL why are we talking about jiggs.... god this thread is going nowhere real fast
Justification? Have you seen either of their posts? Rizen's posts are just delusional. Grim's posts are just super optimistic for a character that is utter garbage.
Attitudes (and trolling) like these are exactly why Japanese players like Ocean come over and beat M2K's MK with ROB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VOtACLllqg because western people just assumed bad characters are trash who can't do anything, anyone who knows otherwise is stupid /end of story. If you look at their tier list http://www.smashboards.com/threads/american-japanese-tier-list-combined.327084/ several characters (like Link) are higher because people don't assume they're trash and actually get good with them.

@Fourstar you can't just write off low tiers; that's why people lose to them. You have to know and respect all characters even the bad ones.

@Seagull I respect your Wolf and MK expertise but not your opinions on most other characters. I disagree with Grim but I don't try to pass insults as arguments.

This is why the thread should be shut down: it practically breeds trolling and this is renewed when the next MU comes up :facepalm: The moderation's terrible.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
ITT: People who don't use Jigglypuff and have never played against a Jigglypuff and have no more authority on Jigglypuff's match-ups and position on the tier list than I do telling me that I'm wrong without any justifcation.

It's cute that putting a character low on a list is enough to create an unshakable confirmation bias in you kids.
How do you know that no one of us uses or used Jiggs or played against one? Are you... God O_O ?

Rizen

Smash Legend
This this does not answer my question. This does not show how many frames of hit stun or hit advantage she has.
Did you read this?

http://www.smashboards.com/threads/fairy-fountain-research-thread-buhbye-ol-chum.218082/
STUN
Stun is when the opponent flinches. The higher their percent, the higher their stun. Other factors include the decay of Dtilt itself - the fresher it is, the more stun it gives.
Dtilt hit advantage on Pit:
10%: - 4
20%: - 2
30%: +1
40%: +3
50%: + 6
60%: + 8
70%: +10
80%: pops Pit up.
At earlier percents, Dtilt doesn't offer many advantages. It shines at 50% and later. The stun at this point gives Zelda the frame advantages to follow up accordingly.

50% here is an average amongst the overall cast. The lighter the character, the earlier the percent will be that starts to make Dtilt more effective. The opposite applies for heavier characters:

Dtilt Advantage at 50%
+4: Bowser; Donkey Kong
+5: Mario; Luigi; Yoshi; Wario; Link; Ganon; Samus; ROB; Dedede; Wolf; Lucario; Ike; Snake; Captain Falcon
+6: Peach; Diddy Kong; Zelda; Sheik; Toon Link; Ice Climbers; Pit; Olimar; Falco; Marth; Ness; Lucas; Sonic
+7: ZZS; Kirby; Meta Knight; Fox; Pikachu; G&W;
+8: Jigglypuff
Stun that is weakened due to decaying your Dtilt can be restored by damaging the opponent with a followup. This is because the opponent's percentage is increasing from followups (stun increase) whilst Dtilt is staling to provide such followups (stun decrease) - there is a balance.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
What I find funny is that people say a character sucks and all that (in this case puff) then I see people struggling. If jiggz is garbage, you should be mopping the floor with her. Then people can never give a good reason for why they struggle. Why if you having a hard time against something so easy, the one that is garbage is you.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I played SoulPech in pools at Rain 1. Game 2, I SD'ed twice at low % and still beat him.
In other words, I killed him 3 times and he never killed me.
In other words, it's as if I had 3 more stocks than he did.

Therefore, ZSS : Puff is +3.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
@DarkPeach see Dtilt spoiler section http://www.smashboards.com/threads/fairy-fountain-research-thread-buhbye-ol-chum.218082/

Attitudes (and trolling) like these are exactly why Japanese players like Ocean come over and beat M2K's MK with ROB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VOtACLllqg because western people just assumed bad characters are trash who can't do anything, anyone who knows otherwise is stupid /end of story. If you look at their tier list http://www.smashboards.com/threads/american-japanese-tier-list-combined.327084/ several characters (like Link) are higher because people don't assume they're trash and actually get good with them.

@Fourstar you can't just write off low tiers; that's why people lose to them. You have to know and respect all characters even the bad ones.

@Seagull I respect your Wolf and MK expertise but not your opinions on most other characters. I disagree with Grim but I don't try to pass insults as arguments.

This is why the thread should be shut down: it practically breeds trolling and this is renewed when the next MU comes up :facepalm: The moderation's terrible.
:rob: shouldn't beat :metaknight:, however, matchup inexperience/pressure to perform can come into play.

Who loses to LT's? What top or even high level players have lost to them?

The things I said were not trolling. I meant it all. It's like arguing with Bubba King. My brain cells just wither away.

The only :jigglypuff: I've played has been Serynder aka Zander aka Lol. aka Poyo's brother. He always gets last or 2nd to last...

:018:

Rizen

Smash Legend
:rob: shouldn't beat :metaknight:, however, matchup inexperience/pressure to perform can come into play.
Pressure to preform? We're talking M2K here. Western Smash shouldn't dismiss bad characters; that's why he lost.
Who loses to LT's? What top or even high level players have lost to them?
Recently?
Just got knocked out of teams with Lies!

We beat mvd/Esam and Seibrik/Master Raven back to back.
13th out of 45
Zelda! She murdered them and Seibrik's team so bad!!!
Also, finished 1-2 in bracket. Lost to Atomsk, beat True Blue and then lost to PWii. I had a blast with this tourney and pretty inspired to try to have one good run at a national. Even though I won't be able to practice too much, I definitely want to make some more noise.

Trolling is spamming that everything you don't understand/agree with is stupid.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Pressure to preform? We're talking M2K here. Western Smash shouldn't dismiss bad characters; that's why he lost.

Recently?

Trolling is spamming that everything you don't understand/agree with is stupid.
Western Smash does dismiss bad characters. :rob: isn't "that" bad though.

Even M2k has pressure to perform. Talk to the guy sometime. He isn't always confident (Just watch him vs Otori Apex 2013 when he gave up. He ended up winning the set due to America cheering for him). 95% of people were rooting against M2k vs Ocean. The opposite occurred the next Apex.

That's doubles. Doubles and singles are completely different games and doubles does not reflect the tier list. I was there to witness that set.

Ed didn't beat anyone of top/high level in tourney. He took a game from Atomsk and beat True Blue. True Blue isn't a top 5 :sonic: even.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Zelda is good in 2v2, he means singles.
Read the whole post. Also Seagull didn't specify singles. ROB loses -2 to MK.
I'm agreeing with DarkPeach http://smashboards.com/threads/official-swf-tier-list-v8.335959/page-76#post-15779145
The only defense people who don't know much about characters they're bashing use doesn't even relate to how the MUs are played and the thread becomes a trolling fest.
Any evidence that doesn't support a person's limited views is ignored.

Anyone who posts in here is a fool for thinking productive discussion will take place. :facepalm:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
This is the Tier List thread, the Tier List is based off 1v1 results, someone talking about a character's performance in this thread should always be considered in a 1v1 setting unless explicitly said otherwise.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
This is the Tier List thread, the Tier List is based off 1v1 results, someone talking about a character's performance in this thread should always be considered in a 1v1 setting unless explicitly said otherwise.
Yea. Why would I reference doubles in this thread...

I DO **** :jigglypuff:. I do not get your point Rizen.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I have no idea what youre talking about now Rizen.

And just because a character is bad =/= you should mop the floor with them. A lot of bad characters have MUs where they can do just fine and even contend with better characters, the amount of control a higher tiered character should show is determined by the MU, not the placement on the Tier List, so I disagree with Dark.Pch.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
There might have been singles in there if you look at the post :facepalm:
I looked at my own post. I did not reference doubles or teams. This thread discusses singles accomplishments/rankings. How you could think I meant doubles is beyond my comprehension.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have no idea what youre talking about now Rizen.

And just because a character is bad =/= you should mop the floor with them. A lot of bad characters have MUs where they can do just fine and even contend with better characters, the amount of control a higher tiered character should show is determined by the MU, not the placement on the Tier List, so I disagree with Dark.Pch.
^But that's the point he's making people just say a character's bad -4 when really it's just what you said^. He was being sarcastic about all these extremes people throw out because a character's bad. There isn't evidence to support characters are as bad as people make it sound.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
^But that's the point he's making people just say a character's bad -4 when really it's just what you said^. He was being sarcastic about all these extremes people throw out because a character's bad. There isn't evidence to support characters are as bad as people make it sound.
I have a hunch: if we were to actually comb through the years of tournament data to find accurate results for Link, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, etc., it would look far, far worse than we think it is.

Be careful what you wish for!

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Seagull, list off some Sonic's better than True Blue. I'm curious, because I think he's at least a top 5 Sonic.
Meek, X, Espy, Tesh, and Kai are better least in my opinion.

Edit: Tesh and True Blue could swap as the 5th spot. I do not know who has better performances/wins at this time. So he could be considered a top 5 :sonic: at the moment.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
X/Espy = Given
Kai = Haven't seen enough of him, and I know he has a Diddy as well.
Tesh = he's pretty solid
Meek = he still brings in results?

Just my two cents, don't sleep on true blue lol.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Having a -4 =/= bad character, it means a bad MU. That's the point IM making. Sure, most -4's belong to bad characters, but using words like 'garbage' to describe the character or saying a character that is bad should be easy isnt true. Now a character that has a -3 or -4 in the MU, thats different, but you (and Dark.Pch) need to choose your words better.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I haven't seen anything to suggest Kai was a contender.

Don't forget Wonf and Brawlman, the forgotten Sonics of the South. I think they are 3rd/4th tbh.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
X/Espy = Given
Kai = Haven't seen enough of him, and I know he has a Diddy as well.
Tesh = he's pretty solid
Meek = he still brings in results?

Just my two cents, don't sleep on true blue lol.
Kai has always been super solid. He just does not care to post in a thread like this or argue about being good. He's legit though.

I won't sleep on True Blue, but I would like to play him since he isn't on my list of :sonic:'s I've slain yet.

List:
  • X
  • Meek
  • Speed
  • D1aos
  • Wedge
  • Espy
  • Shadofiend
  • Kid Goggles
  • Bionic
Ps: Tesh, you will be added to the list at Whobo. Just letting you know in advance ;).
I haven't seen anything to suggest Kai was a contender.

Don't forget Wonf and Brawlman, the forgotten Sonics of the South. I think they are 3rd/4th tbh.
I do not know who Brawlman is, but Wonf is good as ****. I forgot about that guy.

Kai beat Pink Fresh with :sonic:. He also has been absolutely destroying Nc with him plus :diddy:.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Having a -4 =/= bad character, it means a bad MU. That's the point IM making. Sure, most -4's belong to bad characters, but using words like 'garbage' to describe the character or saying a character that is bad should be easy isnt true. Now a character that has a -3 or -4 in the MU, thats different, but you (and Dark.Pch) need to choose your words better.
I agree. You have to look at what I've been saying this whole time about people labeling characters as bad and thinking they can't do anything being not true. People assume bad character= auto -4 and they have no tools (this has happened a lot).

I'm done with this thread. This and the MU thread are hater and troll houses and should be shut down.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I agree. You have to look at what I've been saying this whole time about people labeling characters as bad and thinking they can't do anything being not true. People assume bad character= auto -4 and they have no tools (this has happened a lot).

I'm done with this thread. This and the MU thread are hater and troll houses and should be shut down.
Dude, I bet you beat your brother with Ganondorf, like, all the time. **** the haters, man!

Tesh

Smash Hero
Kai has always been super solid. He just does not care to post in a thread like this or argue about being good. He's legit though.

I won't sleep on True Blue, but I would like to play him since he isn't on my list of :sonic:'s I've slain yet.

List:
  • X
  • Meek
  • Speed
  • D1aos
  • Wedge
  • Espy
  • Shadofiend
  • Kid Goggles
  • Bionic
Ps: Tesh, you will be added to the list at Whobo. Just letting you know in advance ;).

I do not know who Brawlman is, but Wonf is good as ****. I forgot about that guy.

Kai beat Pink Fresh with :sonic:. He also has been absolutely destroying Nc with him plus :diddy:.
I hear good things about Kai, but I'm all about the results and I never see anything good. I guess wherever he is from, they don't post the results much. Every time I ask, it seems like people refuse to tell me who he has beaten. Some call him a legend, some call him a fraud.

Generally bad characters beating other bad characters doesn't put players "up there". Especially borderline low tiers... I'm not trash talking Pink Fresh or NC, but I don't know of any NC players off the top of my head. I mean... I beat top players of other bad characters too but its not that big of a deal.

Collect Brawlman and Zero at Whobo as well. Like me, they don't travel very far so this will be your chance. BSP is another Sonic that might attend. Florida has Sonics too so you will be a legend after Whobo.

@ Ed, I've played that matchup 3 times in my entire career and never won it. I'll do what I can though.

Top Bottom