• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official OFFICIAL SUPER-WAVEDASH DISCUSSION! Please Read and Post Here!

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I've had instances where I held left then smashed right (to SWD to the right) and my Samus shot to the left instead.... I guess when one quickly flips the controll stick like that, it has that slightest movement backwards when you let go that quickly...?

Children_of_Bodom

Smash Cadet
I can SWD about 70% of the time I do it. I mostly use it for cheap mindgames and to avoid my opponent after they return from a KO. I can do it pretty well during a battle, but I still need a lot of work before I can be considered good at it.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
Ok, this is driving me crazy. I've spent a total of around 15 hours practicing, and my accuracy is still no better than random. Nearly every time I attempt a SWD I land, move a distance of about 1 morph ball's length in the direction I was trying to go, and come to a dead stop. Am I changing directions too early or too late?

Zzanitari

Smash Rookie
I am pretty sure somebody has said this but I don't think this is going to be useful when Brawl comes out. It's going to be useless unless they didn't fixed the glitch. I find it hard to get the frames perfect while playing a game and managing to do this. Ugh....

Sl1th

Smash Apprentice
Ive been practicing the SWD and have gotten pretty good at using it in battle. My main strategy is using it to "super space" myself from the opponent after a kill and they are invincible. I also like facing opposite my enemy with a charged beam ready to go then SWD behind them and BAM! Its amazing to pull off, but rather difficult too.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Ive been practicing the SWD and have gotten pretty good at using it in battle. My main strategy is using it to "super space" myself from the opponent after a kill and they are invincible. I also like facing opposite my enemy with a charged beam ready to go then SWD behind them and BAM! Its amazing to pull off, but rather difficult too.
lol this may sounds cool, but very usless, by the time you use your bomb and are about to SWD you can space better in a better possition for atacking, also the charge will be seen easy, i perfer to save it when i know it will hit, for example tech chase. SWD is cool but not very usefull in combat, just looks flashy and is fun! :laugh:

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
lol this may sounds cool, but very usless, by the time you use your bomb and are about to SWD you can space better in a better possition for atacking, also the charge will be seen easy, i perfer to save it when i know it will hit, for example tech chase. SWD is cool but not very usefull in combat, just looks flashy and is fun! :laugh:
Tell that to phanna.

Corigames

Smash Hero
It has its uses. The best one by far, IMO, is to fly across Final Destination while the person who just died is invincible. they have to waste their time with invincibility to catch up to you, making them susceptible to blows. Another is just simply to mind game. People who haven't seen it or don't know how to deal with it are great reasons just to throw it out there.

The last thing you want to do though is waste time trying to SWD when you can be busy comboing or spamming.

Komodomitsu

Smash Rookie
How long as it taken you to learn and pefect the SWD?

Im a noob at Samus right now, and I just found out about the SWD, and after just 4 hours of practice, I could do 4 in a row.
The easiest way I think to do the technique has to be: Drop the bomb and immediately move in one direction. In the split second between when Samus lands, and then gets up, smash the control stick in the other direction and watch her fly.

AIDS

Smash Lord
How long as it taken you to learn and pefect the SWD?

Im a noob at Samus right now, and I just found out about the SWD, and after just 4 hours of practice, I could do 4 in a row.
The easiest way I think to do the technique has to be: Drop the bomb and immediately move in one direction. In the split second between when Samus lands, and then gets up, smash the control stick in the other direction and watch her fly.
SWD is not to usefull, just to show off mostly, unless you are phanna =P

but yeah depends how much you practise and all, plus i find when you get a new controller your feel is gone, and you must re learn the timeing again, many other samus players have that problem. but ithink with in a week u can get 60% - 80% consistancy

the timeing is roughly when you hit the ground

Komodomitsu

Smash Rookie
I find pretty useful when when smacking the enemy from the other side of the stage, then SWDing right into them before they can even recover. They get so gutted when I pull it off.

AIDS

Smash Lord
I tell them it's "Samus Magic."
lol thats the best thing ever, or when you beat a noob down so hard, they are like "what buttons do you push?" lmao, or even sometimes, "i was not trying...NOOB!" lol super wave dash infront of them they are like whoa hacks! fluke! lol, noobs have best johns ever!

also in a big noob turnament i went to try it out and i played fox in teams waveshined some link off the edge and kept shining him, he died 4 times in 30 seconds and he was trying to give me advice... lol but yeah SWD infront of noobs is to fun!

Infinite Krullen

Smash Journeyman
lol thats the best thing ever, or when you beat a noob down so hard, they are like "what buttons do you push?" lmao, or even sometimes, "i was not trying...NOOB!" lol super wave dash infront of them they are like whoa hacks! fluke! lol, noobs have best johns ever!

also in a big noob turnament i went to try it out and i played fox in teams waveshined some link off the edge and kept shining him, he died 4 times in 30 seconds and he was trying to give me advice... lol but yeah SWD infront of noobs is to fun!
gotta love your noobies xD

AIDS

Smash Lord
yeah it was pretty funny, and for singles to enter you had to place top 16 in free for all =P out of 50 ppl, you had to play series of free for all in a 4-3-2-1 point's collection type, and i scored like a perfect 20, but like still noobs gave me advice after i just ***** them, it pissed me off, fox sucks, samus sucks, use link! his up B is the best move in the game!

it was just to funny

IN THEORY for all non phanna players, SWD is mainly usefull to make decent noobs STFU and show you know how to play, unless you are phanna and have the ultimate samus hacks programmed in your brain and can use it for just about anything!

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
My record for SWDing was 5 times (only once). I did 4 SWDs many times. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy and fun :). It is useful because it's so random that by the time your opponent reacts, you can hit him/her with a f-smash. Of course you have to have good reaction time as well.

AIDS

Smash Lord
My record for SWDing was 5 times (only once). I did 4 SWDs many times. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy and fun :). It is useful because it's so random that by the time your opponent reacts, you can hit him/her with a f-smash. Of course you have to have good reaction time as well.
that is pretty decent, you should practise doing stuff out of your super wave dash like a timed Fsmash or maybea Nair edge hog etc. i do not use SWD a lot but there are some times that stuff would come in handy, if you get high consistancy you should practise more stuff like that.

Orsist

Smash Cadet
Neat! I just started trying this out in training mode. Getting the timing right is hard (I'm not a muscle memory person) but I am pulling it off about once every 5 tries.

During my training, I found that dropping a bomb just before you hit the ground while falling (instead of planting one while standing) gives you more time to slide against the ground as a morphball depending on how close you were. Samus' little hop won't be as high in midair. She also SWD's faster this way too IMO, but the prep is longer.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Neat! I just started trying this out in training mode. Getting the timing right is hard (I'm not a muscle memory person) but I am pulling it off about once every 5 tries.

During my training, I found that dropping a bomb just before you hit the ground while falling (instead of planting one while standing) gives you more time to slide against the ground as a morphball depending on how close you were. Samus' little hop won't be as high in midair. She also SWD's faster this way too IMO, but the prep is longer.
im not sure you might be doing this wrong, how far do you slide when you do SWD, also welcome to the boards and we are willing to help you in anyway we can.

im just thinking you might be mistaking this bomb morphball slide for the SWD, during SWD you should look like you are standing as you are sliding across the stage. If you can SWD 20% of the time (1 out of 5) that is good, keep up the good work.

Orsist

Smash Cadet
im not sure you might be doing this wrong, how far do you slide when you do SWD, also welcome to the boards and we are willing to help you in anyway we can.

im just thinking you might be mistaking this bomb morphball slide for the SWD, during SWD you should look like you are standing as you are sliding across the stage. If you can SWD 20% of the time (1 out of 5) that is good, keep up the good work.
Yeah, I'm doing it correctly. I busted a gut laughing the first time I saw samus zip across FD and almost fall off the other side. The length I slide isn't always the same, it varies between halfway and all the way across (and sometimes off) FD.

Ares And Enyo

Smash Apprentice
don't know if it is important or have been said but the 41 & 42 is approximately 1/2 second after the beep samus makes when dropping the bomb - just a nice frame of reference

AIDS

Smash Lord
Ares And Enyo: I belive 1 second is 30 frames, someone please correct me if i am wrong, once you get the timeing you will get a natural feel for the SWD.

ok Orsist, good to here you are consistant at it, good job, keep up the good work.

Ares And Enyo

Smash Apprentice
I could be wrong but I thought it was 60 fps so the beep is on 10 and then ~ 30 later is the time you need to thrash your control stick ... right?

Edit:

See here, the frame rate is 60 fps in NTSC land, so it is ~1/2 second after beep that frame 41/42 come up as 1/2 second = 30 frames.

AIDS

Smash Lord
ok good to know, but yeah keep practising in training mode you will get a feel for it, then it will be easy as 3.14! hope the frame data helps

Pi

Smash Hero
I'm gonna have to say that SWD is pretty darn useful, especially in compared to it's downsides (like none).

If you SWD into another bomb on the person (like phanna does) it can lead you to combo's. Usually what I do is attempt a SWD and if I get it I promptly downsmash which has a big enough range to hit my opponent pretty often. Now that I've gotten better at timing it I can usually get a fsmash off on them if I'm able to get it at the proper time.

Really, it's about as useful as any other move, isn't it? And my record is 8/9 in a row, I hit 3/4 in a row before I started counting and was so flustered by how many I got I couldn't think straight XD.

AIDS

Smash Lord
I'm gonna have to say that SWD is pretty darn useful, especially in compared to it's downsides (like none).

If you SWD into another bomb on the person (like phanna does) it can lead you to combo's. Usually what I do is attempt a SWD and if I get it I promptly downsmash which has a big enough range to hit my opponent pretty often. Now that I've gotten better at timing it I can usually get a fsmash off on them if I'm able to get it at the proper time.

Really, it's about as useful as any other move, isn't it? And my record is 8/9 in a row, I hit 3/4 in a row before I started counting and was so flustered by how many I got I couldn't think straight XD.
you are a fool, SWD is predictable and not very usfull, just flashy. and you mean "like phanna usto"

you have much better options then SWD for an aproach.

Pi

Smash Hero
How can you say that SWD is predictable then tell me there are better options for an approach? What would you like me to do, run up and dash attack? Wavedash up? Are these some how less predictable than SWD? The things you can do out of SWD are no less than the ones you have either dashing or WDing. You can shield, fmash, dsmash, jab, grab, anything. You act like it's pointless in every reguard when it is not.

SWD is no more predictable than normal WD or dashing at your opponent. It's not useless.

AIDS

Smash Lord
How can you say that SWD is predictable then tell me there are better options for an approach? What would you like me to do, run up and dash attack? Wavedash up? Are these some how less predictable than SWD? The things you can do out of SWD are no less than the ones you have either dashing or WDing. You can shield, fmash, dsmash, jab, grab, anything. You act like it's pointless in every reguard when it is not.

SWD is no more predictable than normal WD or dashing at your opponent. It's not useless.
im sure the moment i see you bomb on the other side of the stage i would expect it, and prepare to punish you for it, a beter aproach has a lot of things like spacing, non laggy moves, nothing predictable(this is why a ganon up tilt is a bad move =P) , and once they are nocked down you should tech chase them and abuse them, get a hit off, and fallow up.

im pretty sure i know how to play the game, and im sure there was a reason phanna stoped SWDing for an aproach every time. it may work a couple times, but it gets predictable.

Top Bottom