• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official OFFICIAL SUPER-WAVEDASH DISCUSSION! Please Read and Post Here!

Aftermath

Smash Champion
YouTube video: Frame by frame SWD (Close-up)<--watch this

In-Depth Video about Boost Ball and other variations<--watch this too

The Super Wavedash:

This is Samus' most difficult move to pull of consistently. Some question its usefulness, but when mastered and put to good use (See Joker/Wes/Phanna), it can be one of Samus' best and most tricky mindgames, opening up new ways to play.

While there is a set way to do the Super Wavedash, there are many different methods people use to pull it off. Some of the tricks used to achieve the Super Wavedash are described below.
Lay a bomb and:
1) Wait until Samus hits the ground, then just after that happens quickly flick the control stick left to right or right to left.
2) Start holding left or right sometime after laying the bomb and before Samus hits the ground, and then at the appropriate time smash the control stick in the opposite direction.
3) Immediately start holding the direction of the way you want to go (let's say right), then flick the control stick left and then right as quickly as possible when Samus hits the ground.
4) Wait until Samus lands on the ground, and then flick the direction you want to go, the opposite way, and then back again.

Experiment with these ways, or even come up with your own. Of course, there are tons of variations on these, such as holding the direction at certain times, which varies from person to person. The ones listed above are simply the most common ways I have seen mentioned. I use number 3 to go to the right, and number 4 to go to the left. I find that flicking the control stick those 3 times helps make it easier to time, as I can just start doing that as soon as she lands. However, I'm not really all that good at it, so don't take my word for which way is best.

Regardless of how you try it, this is how it is done:
1) Lay a bomb on the ground.
2) On frame 41 of the bomb animation, be pressing either right or left.
3) On frame 42 of the bomb animation, be pressing either left or right (depending on the direction pressed previously).
4) To maximize distance, do not continue holding a direction after frame 42.
That may all sound a bit confusing, so I'll explain it by how it looks. From the ground, when you lay the bomb, you'll see Samus morph into the ball, rise up slightly, lay the bomb, then fall back toward the ground. Just after she hits the ground, you will notice her change back to normal and your lag will end from the bomb. In order to do the Super Wavedash you need to do one of the methods listed above to move the control stick from left to right or right to left just after she lands. The timing takes a long time to get down, and the biggest mistake most people will make is doing the control stick motion too early. What I suggest is try many, many different timings, see when works, and try to get a pretty good sense of when you need to actually flick the control stick.

You'll know you've done it correctly when you see Samus dart across the stage at a high speed, but she is still standing. You should not see any smoke nor anything else that is otherwise normally associated with Wavedashing.

When first trying, you may see Samus moving very quickly a short distance and then stopping. This means you tried it too early, so start again and wait just a tad longer before flicking the stick. If you do manage to do it, you may also notice that the distance you travel is not always the same. The reason for this is two-fold. First, the more you have the control stick left or right (on frame 42, and assuming you did it correctly), the farther you will move initially. Also, anything you do after the initial movement will slow you down, so holding the direction after you do the Super Wavedash will cause you to lose all momentum quickly and slow to a walk. Jumping, Csticking, and putting up your shield will not diminish your momentum but any B move you try will immediately stop you.

This may take some people months to get down consistently, some just days or weeks, and some may just never be good at it ever. While the usefulness is argued, this move opens up many new avenues of play and adds a huge amount of new mindgames to Samus' bag of tricks. The most common use for the Super Wavedash is for after the opponent comes back invincible, a Super Wavedash across the stage will make them take longer to get to you, possibly draining the invincibility, however it works best on long stages, so this is limited mostly to Pokestadium, FD, and Dreamland 64. Other uses for this are edgeguarding, evading an attack, and trying to tie it into a combo or start one with a move while sliding. Even though this is incredibly difficult and even more difficult to effectively add to your playing style, this is one technique that is definitely something to at least take a stab at.

Last edited:

Joker

Smash Ace
:laugh: Cool...Im in thread...... :embarrass

Hey i use the SWD no prob but i dont care for the frame works.....
But do to a fellow samus' challenge.....(lol) i'd like to know by use of AR if there is a big difference in the frame work as apposed to the regular SWD(on the ground) i wanna know if theres a big difference from starting the SWD in the air, so anyone that can help me out with that , that'd be cool...if it really helps me i'll credit you in my vid
:p

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
How consistently can you guys SWD? I can never do it, and it is so hard to learn. Any tips (I don't have AR unfortunately)?

VilNess

Smash Champion
^ I can witness that :)

It seems that when get a technique like this in your "fingermemory" it isn´t that hard to pull of pretty constantly.

btw. I can also do docs upBcancel with about that 70% accurately. it´s easier to perform out of run.

Dalal

Smash Ace
Final Destination - I have been trying to master t
How long has this been stickied? I'd like to say I've been looking for something like this for a long time. Cool! Nice info! Here's 2 questions:

If jumping does not 'diminish your momentum' then wouldn't it be possible for a Samus to make the jump in Hyrule from the bottom pillar to the rightmost edge. You SWD on the pillar and then immediately jump. You'll probably go pretty far, and then you can double jump and then Up+B. You could make it right?

Also, I though "Super Wavedash" was the term used to describe a normal wavedash while falling instead of jumping. Did they change it or something?

Thanks,
Dalal

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
Hm, I'd say you "hit" the edge of the pillar before you can jump. And edges stop your momentum, or if you face away from them make you fall, possibly to an edgehog.

That thing you describe is known as landwavedashing nowadays, methinks.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
i think from the beginning of its discovery, or near it at least, it has been called something along the lines of landing wavedash or landwavedash, like Telpe pointed out.

Joker

Smash Ace
:laugh: Yay i did it......the "Missle Kick"......basicly all it is, is Samus' Missle (obviously) and Foward Tilt hitting almost at the same time.....like.....

At 145% damage near the edge of FD. Ganon gets hit by a fresh missle and dies....b4 he dies hes at about 154%, but a fresh F-Tilt wont kill him at the edge at 154%, thats where the kick comes in, and no this isnt just canceling the missle lag then hitting with a f-tilt.....its using the SWD, its not really a useful tech, unless you were in a Team Battle and bang hit your partner with a missle and to save them :psycho: , of course thats a 1 in a million thing :chuckle: but possible, all in all its to show that using the swd fast enuff you can catch up with a missle and if used in a match you can hit with the missle and perhaps grab the person if they put up a shield :laugh: .....hm....imma have to use that and put it in the vid....any request for traicks to be put in the vid....just post them....later :p

AlexanderTriad

Smash Ace
Thank You!

HURRAY!.... A Place to send Newbs when they ask about this move lol! (This mightve been said... didnt read the entire thinG)

-AxlT

Joker

Smash Ace
Up above didnt a guy ask how consistantley we can swd?, well me my self i cant say all the way :laugh: the most i've done in a row(no misses in between :chuckle: ....duh lol) is only 10...im going for 15 tho....so dont be suprised if you see me do 10+ in Joking Around, later :lick:

The Immortal Flame

Smash Apprentice
Well laid out. I haven't seen a guide this informative in quite a while - thanks for the tips, Cap'n.

A couple of questions for you. First, I've never been too savvy when it comes to frames. How can you approximate what frame of your character's move or lag you are on? It would be a hell of a lot easier for me to practice the SWD efficiently if I could. When you flick the control stick, does she necessarily have to have completely recovered from the landing, or can you make it work more easily by starting a split second before she straitens herself up again?

Also, could you point out any extra visual differences between the SWD and a regular WD or their effects? Is it faster or slower . . . and is there a way you can actually boost your jump with it if you fly over the edge with it?

Aftermath

Smash Champion
For frames, there is no real way to know exactly how many have passed. THe best thing to do would probably just approximate, 41 frames is about 3/4 of a second, so after you hit down and B, wait about that long before flicking. Alternatively, you can just kind of time it from when Samus hits the ground. Frame 41 occurs just shortly after she lands on the ground in her ball form, so this is where the whole "hit left-right or right-left immediately after Samus lands". Other than just general approximations, if you get it down more consistenly, it will be muscle memory, which should up your rate of doing the swd successfully. Going into training mode and trying the swd in 1/4 or 1/2 speed helps some people, but imo, it is mostly just to see when, visually, you would need to flick the control stick.

When you are flicking the control stick, Samus is still in her bomb lag. More specifically, she is still in her morph ball state. If you attempt to swd after you see her coming out of the morph ball (standing up), you have done it too late. Again, it's just after she lands on the ground in her morph ball form.

The SWD has no "white cloud" around Samus like you would see from normal wavedashing. Also, she is just standing in place instead of crouching and then standing back up. The SWD is much faster than a Wavedash, even faster than cf's run. However, you slow down very quickly if you start to walk or crouch.

You can boost your jump horizontally significantly with the swd. But when you are in the air you slow down dramatically.

Hope that helped.

freaky_beef

Smash Cadet
Is there a video on someone doing this. Im not sure if Im doing this right, or even doing it! It seems hard to do!

Shade_

Smash Ace
So what I get is you bomb, and when she comes back to the ground, while she is morphing back to biped form, you press left and then right real fast, or right to left.

Just wan't to make sure.

Echo

Smash Champion
Wooooo! i didnt know this sticky was open to free posting!!!

yeah go aftermath!! ^^ This is the guide that tought me how to SWD, and i can pull it about 90% now, soo.... yeeeeah thank ya for that!

Also.... if we ever meet up at a tourney or somethin.... ya gotta sign me wavebird, must have the autograph of one that WD's such as the way you do ;)

The Immortal Flame

Smash Apprentice
Cap'n Crunch said:
For frames, there is no real way to know exactly how many have passed. THe best thing to do would probably just approximate, 41 frames is about 3/4 of a second, so after you hit down and B, wait about that long before flicking. Alternatively, you can just kind of time it from when Samus hits the ground. Frame 41 occurs just shortly after she lands on the ground in her ball form, so this is where the whole "hit left-right or right-left immediately after Samus lands". Other than just general approximations, if you get it down more consistenly, it will be muscle memory, which should up your rate of doing the swd successfully. Going into training mode and trying the swd in 1/4 or 1/2 speed helps some people, but imo, it is mostly just to see when, visually, you would need to flick the control stick.

When you are flicking the control stick, Samus is still in her bomb lag. More specifically, she is still in her morph ball state. If you attempt to swd after you see her coming out of the morph ball (standing up), you have done it too late. Again, it's just after she lands on the ground in her morph ball form.

The SWD has no "white cloud" around Samus like you would see from normal wavedashing. Also, she is just standing in place instead of crouching and then standing back up. The SWD is much faster than a Wavedash, even faster than cf's run. However, you slow down very quickly if you start to walk or crouch.

You can boost your jump horizontally significantly with the swd. But when you are in the air you slow down dramatically.

Hope that helped.
Indeed, it did. I'll see if I can pull it off. Sounds extremely useful, especially if you can attack directly out of it like a normal wavedash. If so, are there any techniques, like the extended grapple or projectiles that you cannot use while using the SWD? Also, is it possible to SWD right off the stage and use it as a sort of double jump? I don't find too many of Samus's moves too useful for edgeguarding other than her uptilt, so it would be extremely helpful if you could.

Green Hunter

Smash Apprentice
It's quite possible to use the SWD with your edgeguarding. Say you send someone across the stage on FD, towards the left. You face away from where you sent your opponent, use the SWD to send yourself in their direction, and bair them as they try to come back. It's quite possible to edgehog with this, too. Don't just limit it to this, though. You can do a lot of awkward things with this. I did a SWD and because I was facing away from the stage, it would've normally sent me off the stage. Just before I went over the edge, I used the jab. Samus stopped at the edge for the duration of the jab. Once it was done, she continued right off since she was still affected by the SWD.

Dvul

Smash Cadet
hmmm I think the most I’ve done in a row is 7 working towards 10 then 15, joker I think playing with you is rubbing off on me in the SwD department!!!

I cant wait to see Joking Around when it's done

Gurt Vulgar
Mother F.er of The Universe:chuckle:

Aftermath

Smash Champion
yeah, you can jump off the stage and do all sorts of quirky things with the SWD. One thing to keep in mind though is that any B moves will completely stop your momentum on the ground. I'm not sure if the do if you jump first, but my guess is at least upB does.

Shade_

Smash Ace
still when exactly do you go left right or what ever real fast. is it after she hits the ground,right before or what.

EcnivTR

Smash Rookie
She should be on the ground in morph ball form for pretty much exactly one frame. So right after you -see- her hit the ground, do it. And trying it at 15fps (1/4 speed) in Training mode did help me figure out how to do it right. I can do it about 40% of the time from left to right, and about 5% from right to left... I haven't practiced the latter much, so it's not in muscle memory yet.

Dvul

Smash Cadet
I think the SwD is better off being done with a more used controller, I think that joker will agree with me on that as well, I have 2 different old beat up controllers that work wonders with doing the SwD. I honestly don’t think the whole 1/4 speed in training mode is that great of a thing to do because when you finally switch it back to normal mode it seems like its alot faster because it is from the speed you were doing it at yea its fine to find out when she’s on the ground but its alot better to just stay in regular game time, that’s what I’ve done and I’m pretty good with the SwD right now only 3 away from jokers 10 right now!!! :laugh:

Gurt Vulgar Mother F.er of the Universe :chuckle:

The Immortal Flame

Smash Apprentice
Cap'n Crunch said:
yeah, you can jump off the stage and do all sorts of quirky things with the SWD. One thing to keep in mind though is that any B moves will completely stop your momentum on the ground. I'm not sure if the do if you jump first, but my guess is at least upB does.
So you can basically do any attack you please out of a SWD except for a B attack, which will end it? Is it basically like a regular WD in that respect?

Also, when you SWD off the stage, do you eventually start to fall, or do you continue in horizontal motion in mid-air until it ends?

Shnikes

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shnikes
So pretty much al lyou do is Down+B then right as samus is about to stand you press the direction that you want to go and thats it?

Dvul

Smash Cadet
The Immortal Flame said:
Also, when you SWD off the stage, do you eventually start to fall, or do you continue in horizontal motion in mid-air until it ends?

You start to fall as soon as your off the stage, or some times you get stuck teddering on the edge.

:chuckle:

Ajbolt89

Smash Cadet
You have to press the opposite direction first, something about switching from like, left to right, rather than neutral to right, sets it off. I recommend practice of Final Destination.

Joker

Smash Ace
Ajbolt89 said:
You have to press the opposite direction first, something about switching from like, left to right, rather than neutral to right, sets it off. I recommend practice of Final Destination.

For the last time.....for all the SWD noobs......it doesnt have just one direction......it can go from left to right, or right to left :mad:

Abhorsen

Smash Cadet
Dvul said:
You start to fall as soon as your off the stage, or some times you get stuck teddering on the edge.
Yeh, when I SWD I rarely fall off the stage. I have a couple of times but the others she stops at the edge of the stage like she hit a brick wall. I dont use it at all in serious games since it will most likely not work when I use it but it's nice it see people's reactions when you fly across the stage and they have no idea how you did it :rotfl:

Joker

Smash Ace
:ohwell: As far as the "falling off the board" with the SWD......think about it....
if your facing left...and SWD left.....samus is still in her standing position....meaning the game sees it as her kinda walking to the ledge....thus if shes facing in that manner its just like fast walking to the game, thus she'll stop and act like shes about to fall.....cutting off your swd(duh) :embarrass

The only ways to effectivley "fall" off the board are to face the opposite direction:

l========(swd left, :mario: facing right)==========l or vise versa :luigi:------>

It works the same as with just regular wding wd facing the edge you'll stop.....not facing the ledge you fall off ......

However there is one way to swd off the board and face the edge......its nothing special tho....just perform the "Running or Walking SWD" and you'll continue to travell a little off whatever ledge your facing.
In order to know if you've done this, get on a platform like on battlefield or DL64 face left on a platform and then swd left, and hold foward as if you were walking off, you'll see samus clip off the board cause the game still tryies to stop her by having her hang over the ledge, but if you're holding the direction your facing and swding in, she'll clip but go flying off the ledge anyway :p

Abhorsen

Smash Cadet
Joker said:
...get on a platform like on battlefield or DL64 face left on a platform and then swd left, and hold foward as if you were walking off, you'll see samus clip off the board cause the game still tryies to stop her by having her hang over the ledge, but if you're holding the direction your facing and swding in, she'll clip but go flying off the ledge anyway :p
Lol, I gotta try that and fly off the ledge, I thought the game would always stop you but not always. Thanks for that funny tip Joker :p

Joker

Smash Ace
Joker
Smash Journeyman

I gotta find out how to make that read as

Joker
Super Wave Dash King

:psycho:

Dvul

Smash Cadet
Oh Joker that would be awsome if you could get it to say that, say we havn't played in a while we should play some time very soon

:chuckle:

Ajbolt89

Smash Cadet
Joker said:
For the last time.....for all the SWD noobs......it doesnt have just one direction......it can go from left to right, or right to left :mad:
Did you forget to read my post? If you did, here's what I said that you seemed to question: "like, from left to right." Maybe you're not well-versed in the English language, but for a quick review, that was me giving an example. Now, exactly where did I say "you can only do it from left to right."? Please, show me. I'm honestly shaking with anticipation, because you seem so sure about yourself, I must be missing something. Or maybe you really didn't read my post, and just assumed you know more than me because I'm new to these boards. Is it honestly that hard for you to restrain yourself from posting messages ridiculing me? Maybe this is why you have over 300 posts (which, I know, really isn't that many), as opposed to my overwhelming... 25 or whatever. Sometimes it's the quality of your posts that matters, not the quantity. And if we're assuming that that holds true in this situation, well, the quality of your post is... questionable at best.
Let's not do this again. Thanks.

Top Bottom