• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official OFFICIAL SUPER-WAVEDASH DISCUSSION! Please Read and Post Here!

Pi

Smash Hero
im sure the moment i see you bomb on the other side of the stage i would expect it, and prepare to punish you for it, a beter aproach has a lot of things like spacing, non laggy moves, nothing predictable(this is why a ganon up tilt is a bad move =P) , and once they are nocked down you should tech chase them and abuse them, get a hit off, and fallow up.

im pretty sure i know how to play the game, and im sure there was a reason phanna stoped SWDing for an aproach every time. it may work a couple times, but it gets predictable.
I get where you're comming from, but the same can be said for any technique and I got the feeling you were shunning SWD all together?

Just like every technique SWD can get predictable if you spam it, but it also has it's uses. I never suggested it be used every time, when you get to a high level of gaming and people are popping out moves in split seconds I'm sure they can see you comming in a SWD, but no less so than they could see you comming with a nair, or a grab, or a missle.

If you need to chase your opponent half way accross the map SWD would be a good option, you could missle cancel to a SWD as well, there isn't much they can do against that.

I understand that if you sit there SWDing the whole match you're gonna get predicted, but that's not what I was trying to say. SWD has it's uses and isn't something you should ignore completely, ya feel me?

AIDS

Smash Lord
I get where you're comming from, but the same can be said for any technique and I got the feeling you were shunning SWD all together?

Just like every technique SWD can get predictable if you spam it, but it also has it's uses. I never suggested it be used every time, when you get to a high level of gaming and people are popping out moves in split seconds I'm sure they can see you comming in a SWD, but no less so than they could see you comming with a nair, or a grab, or a missle.

If you need to chase your opponent half way accross the map SWD would be a good option, you could missle cancel to a SWD as well, there isn't much they can do against that.

I understand that if you sit there SWDing the whole match you're gonna get predicted, but that's not what I was trying to say. SWD has it's uses and isn't something you should ignore completely, ya feel me?
yes you get it mostly, superwave dash can be used for cetain purposes, but it does not make a good aproach, it is good lets say you smashed them to the other side of the stage u wanna hurry and edge guard, etc. but SWD is not the answer for everything, or most things. there are rare times where it should be used, it is mainly to show off to the noobz =P

but yeah, you get the main idea.

you will be predicted if SWD is ur aproach, i could ignor everything else, but when i see that bomb, i know what you are gunna do. Apraoch is very important to your game, and SWD will need a number of styles.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
brawl. jk. i know its old and im trying in melee. i main falco in melee and my friend mains samus and he can do this consistently and i wanted to figure out how to do it too, but i tried and now i just said forget it im going back to falco. haha. samus is complicated

AIDS

Smash Lord
brawl. jk. i know its old and im trying in melee. i main falco in melee and my friend mains samus and he can do this consistently and i wanted to figure out how to do it too, but i tried and now i just said forget it im going back to falco. haha. samus is complicated
Quote for life! XD
haha no my friend isnt phanna. just a kid in my school who wins local tournaments.
Phanna is a smart guy man, you should ask him for advice sometime, just for your knowledge, super wavedash is more flashy, not used in combat at high level, just to show off to noobs.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I SWD to fsmash'd Sliq like 4 times in team friendlies at the GA tournament. I think he's a magnet for it, because it never happened to anyone else.
Discuss.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I super wavedashed (I still want to call it "shinespark" >_>) about five or six times in a row against a Marth friend of mine, and my other friend comes up and says, "This isn't perfect control Corey, at least fight him!"

I loled sooo hard.

AIDS

Smash Lord
part of it is noobs who can't predict, if you are away from someone laying a bomb, it is obviose you would attempt it, and they would be expecting it, you would get predicted, but sometimes "Pikachu has not gained this ability yet" and some people can not learn to predict, but at high level, it does not add anything good to your game play. It's just flashy vs noobs.

banyah87

Smash Cadet
Can the Super Wavedash be performed in training mode? I'm wondering if you can practice it in slow motion.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I suppose you can if you want, however I don't think it is very good for your full-speed timing.

If you want to slow it down to see the timing, you can just watch this: YouTube video: Frame by frame SWD (Close-up).

I think it is best practicing full speed, it shouldn't really be something that you should cognitively think about when doing (if you want to be good at it), it should be in muscle memory.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I learned it at normal speed, non-training mode, pokemon stadium. I can do it fine on an HDTV but I'm re-learning it for regular TVs now.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
The HDTV's have to process the signal, usually to upscale the image or crap like that before it is outputted to the screen.

The idea here is that it takes time for the signal to be processed before it is shown on the screen, lag can vary from HDTV to HDTV and can sometimes even reach half a second of lag between input and output. HDTV's are generally bad for fighting games for this reason.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Actually, come to think of it, it shouldn't make a difference for SWDing from the ground. The timing of when you press down+B to when you jerk the control stick would be exactly the same.
But if you base it on when you hit the ground, you'd have to learn a different timing.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
It kinda gets ********, because you want to do it, but you look and everything just feels 'off'. I think that is the main part of the lag issue.

Also: not many people know this, but if you crouch and lay a bomb, you will skip the first 2 frames of your bomb laying animation; meaning you will actually be doing left-right/right-left on frames 39 and 40 respectively instead of 41 and 42. However, you are in exactly the same position relative to the ground in both situations.

This doesn't really make that much of a difference, you just got to learn one way or other in muscle memory or use visual ques like Samus hitting the ground and whatnot.

Video Comparisons:
Frame by frame SWD (Close-up)
Frame by frame SWD (Close-up -2frames)

This information is really kinda useless, but do with it what you will.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I've got the perfect use for it!
*jerks off to frame data*
OH GOD YES BE MY LITTLE MEW2KING UH YEAH BABY FRAME 41, YOU ARE A DIRTY, DIRTY GIRL AREN'T YOU

Corigames

Smash Hero
Actually, come to think of it, it shouldn't make a difference for SWDing from the ground. The timing of when you press down+B to when you jerk the control stick would be exactly the same.
But if you base it on when you hit the ground, you'd have to learn a different timing.
Bingo.

My situation right here. On the HD screen, I SWD as soon as I touch the ground, on an SD TV, I have to do it just after... or something like that.

duals

Smash Journeyman
and can sometimes even reach half a second of lag between input and output.
some one should keep a record of the lag for HD's.... but i don't know any one who would have the time, patience, and able to access all the tv's at once...... maybe a best buy worker...

Geek squad... lawl..

rhan

Smash Hero
Qucik Question for Samus players.

I have a friend who said SWD is a useless technique. I understand it's not needed to win matches but it can be useful when wanting to get surprise kills. Like SWD into chraged beam. Or SWD into F-Smash.

I just wanna know how do Samus players feel about the SWD and it's usefulness?

duals

Smash Journeyman

I have a friend who said SWD is a useless technique. I understand it's not needed to win matches but it can be useful when wanting to get surprise kills. Like SWD into chraged beam. Or SWD into F-Smash.

I think the SWD is just a showy move.... i dont usually use it when im in a serious match...not enough time... i do it for noobs and they always say "WTF! HAX!"

BUT when i do use it, its for running away and getting to the other side quicker then wave dashing.....

The only SWD suprise attack ive seen is a guy dashing over and blasting me with a charge shot... (mentioned in my charged-b mind game thread, but it got deleted -_-)

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Any move that can save time or has some sort of combo/edgeguard ability is useful.

However, with the SWD, its usefulness is directly proportional to how well you can do it. As soon as you fail, it doesn't save any time and a failed SWD has near 0 combo/edgeguard ability.

SWD is good for running away quickly, but it is also good to getting over to the quickly, like for an edgeguard. If you hit them to the opposide side of the stage, or even a little off the edge, you can SWD to edgeguard in about a second. That is totally worth it in it self.

SWD being useful is totally up to your ability to do it.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Any move that can save time or has some sort of combo/edgeguard ability is useful.

However, with the SWD, its usefulness is directly proportional to how well you can do it. As soon as you fail, it doesn't save any time and a failed SWD has near 0 combo/edgeguard ability.

SWD is good for running away quickly, but it is also good to getting over to the quickly, like for an edgeguard. If you hit them to the opposide side of the stage, or even a little off the edge, you can SWD to edgeguard in about a second. That is totally worth it in it self.

Best answer is best.

Corigames

Smash Hero

That's basically how I feel. It's much better to be doing something helpful than failing at SWDing. If you can do it consistently and do it into something effective, then there is no problem using it.

the easiest use for it, whether it's flashy or not, though, is to SWD from one side of the stage to the other when someone is invincible after dieing.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Personally the only time I attempt to do this is:
Showing off to noobs
Across other side of stage is oponent and I need to hurry to edge guards or do a tech chase
Or when I am close to edge so i can get that certain angle from SWDing off the edge(reverse)

I say maybe to the get away from invincability, but anything else it is pretty much garbage. Way to predictable!

Underdog985

Smash Rookie
I like it for mind games and also I just find doing it really fun. If you overuse it for a bit, sometimes no0bs just think every bomb that drops will be a SWD.

but seriously... I use it sparingly for only like running away from invincibility and grabbing the edge from the other side of FD out of no where from someone recovering from the other side of a stage. I think it led to some pretty kills too when you nair someone recovering from falling off a platform because of a SWD. Basically If you have some confident SWDing then use it, abuse it, and have fun... but don't cry when u get punished for doing it at a stupid time.

Geist

Smash Master

Hypothetically, if a Samus player could SWD perfectly 100% of the time, then SWD would be incredibly broken and that Samus player would be amazing.
Assuming he/she was any good to begin with...

Top Bottom