• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official OFFICIAL SUPER-WAVEDASH DISCUSSION! Please Read and Post Here!

Joker

Smash Ace
Iuse the SWD all the time when i fight as long as i remember to :psycho: , and also if im not in a squeeze at the time, know what im sayin' ;) I can/do/ and have used it when i was behind, but i dont advise it that much :)

As far as tips with the SWD, well for the most part honestly what i did was first see that i could do it the way i had read about it: (you probly already know this, but i'll explain it just incase :) )

Swd1 - drop a bomb, as soon as your in bomb mode hold a direction, left or right, now as soon as the ball hits the ground, tap your control stick in the other direction. I say "tap" because some ppl believe that you have to have the utmost speed to do it which you dont ;) then you'll see others slamming their control sticks sounding like they're almost breaking the poor things, that is also not needed. It CAN work but those actions arent required(but they do help I'll explain later ;) )

Note - THe SWD seems hard to do at an almost consistant basis. Funny thing is....half of us can be really good at it and not even know it because:
Theres 2 points in the swd where the swd can be "cancelled"
1- and probly performed half the time sadly, is right when the samus WOULD start taking off, but doesnt because after you "tap" the other direction its important to try and leave your controll stick in a good position cause just about ANY other directional input can cancel out the swd at its birth point so to speak. Although these cant always be seen where a samus messed up , this note is a factor in whether or not a samus will swd at any given time, for obvious reasons such as i can do up to so far 10 in a row left to right, then going back right to left, however in a actual battle my hands are a little more tensed possibly, so concentrating on the fight AND the swd isnt always the easiest thing to do, but it matters i guess how used 2the swd you are and how important the match is :p

2 - The second instant where the Swd can be cancelled at is basicly any time after the swd is executed. "cutting it short"
I got tired of swding right by my oppenant when they're in the middle of the board only to have to run back to fight them, or worry about an attack from behind. So i found my way to "cut it short"
"Cutting it short" - is just when i swd, and notice how far i've gone, OR time it (since im used to it :ohwell: ) and cancel the swd with a wave dash going in the opposite direction. and at this point i cut it short so that if my opponent is in the middle of the board, i go by them, only to wd back towards them and by this point i can do any attack, cause i'll be just that close to them, and half the time if they expect me to be at the other end of the board they feel they have a second or so....and thats when Link goes to pull out a bomb and eats a F-smash :laugh: (just as an example) In my opinion, a very useful tech at times.

SWD2- i call it "The stand still" swd - because well...you do just that. IMO this is a more advanced aka harder way to perform the elegant swd :laugh:
to do it just drop a bomb as b4 but instead of holding a direction, you dont press anything really for the most part, and if you do its just to help yourself time the first direction. But you just wait to time everything. I started doing this the first day i trained with the swd :laugh: because using the first method for about an hour was killing my thumb lol so i thought theres gotta be another way to do it, and sure enuff i asked maybe you dont have to have all that direction holding and then slamming the control stick = pain for my thumb. I'm sure others were using this way already b4 me, its just thats the way I stumbled across it.

OK as i mentioned earlier...about how the slamming of the control stick and how it actually helps in a way.
What it does over time is basicly "personalizes" your contolstick for you, and kinda just you. Your thumb personally wears down the stick in a way only you can from extreme use, or in some samus' way swd training. After i realised this I asked DA WES seeing as tho he was another samus known for swding and hesaid the same thing, everyone wears down a controller if they play with the same one over time but its not always the same. Like if we buy a new controller i can swd on it, sure. But attempting anything like over like SWDx4 is gonna take a while. then i'll go and pick up my"SWD contoller"( I actually call it that folks) the contoller that came with my cube and that i swd trained with and bust out like 6 in a row, and be like " Oh........ok....*turns off cube cause he sees he still has the touch*" :psycho:

Theres many a things you can do with the swd, like have the homing grapple out already swd and while your zooming use the grapple so that by the time you stop its already coming out and you can possibly grab your oppenent and what not lol

Or you can do a full length swd to a spamming fighter on the other end of the board and possibly add a down smash for a little range infront and behind you at the end of your swd journey across the board.

These are ideas i've done b4,they work, but best if used in a surprsise manner.

To conclude...some ppl say try to SWD in training mode at such and such speed. usually at 2/3 speed, whereas otheres like me wear Nikes and "Just do it"
That slower speed traning helps ppl out i guess, but the way i started i just did it and just kept at it either way the swd is a move that ya like hugs may say " inst needed" but it doesnt hurt much to know it and know how to use it, and the ins and outs of it.

Maelstrom

Smash Journeyman
Ya also while practicing I learned to cancel it... :psycho: , and its nice to know that someone who's well experienced can agree with my methods...though thats not important...Also, while not realizing it was on the threads that the method of holding one direction and pressing the other on the ground worked. Its a good thing you posted that..or I was going to post it and look like an idiot lol..

Now-a-days since I'm sorta close to your consistancy of SWDing I now look at it...so that after I do the bomb I do the directional input just b4 she turns back into samus..which is what ends up happening anyway..cuz thats how its done..

Thanks Joker for the informative post..it helped me to improve my SWDing aswell...

Joker

Smash Ace
:bigthumbu :)

Funny thing is... this was just a pm i sent to someone asking for some tips, but after i sent it i was like hmmm...its almost a mini-guide lol

But ya thats whats up if it helps yall good stuff ;)

dostovei15

Smash Apprentice
swd isnt that difficult to preform its all just a matter of timing like everything else in this game, Once you get it u can do it again

Afo

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I´m new at the boards and haven´t posted much really, so hows it going??
I would apreciate it if someone could explain how to perform a "beam cancel", I´ve been trying to do it but can´t seem to pull it off correctly (it´s not explained that much at the beggining of this thread)

Joker

Smash Ace
:laugh:
If you would all direct your attention to the topic of this thread, stfu about beam cancels lol this isnt the exact thread for it, cause you'll end up with like 5 pages on SWD info, and then like 15 pages of random samus stuff, theres other threads for that(feels like Mic :laugh: )

if anyone has any QUESTIONS regarding the SWD look on the page b4 this, if that doesnt answer what ever, then post again, but as far as beam cancels take that else where :ohwell:

Edit: Unrealperson.....your signiture sucks :embarrass

The Triscut

Smash Rookie
FOr those of you who are having trouble doing it for the first time I found that it was easier for me to get down if I did it in 1/2 speed in training mode first.

co_and_me

Smash Lord
ok so one day i was trying tograb a standing human with SWD. This wasnt working very well because 1 they had to be pretty far across the screen for me to time it correctally. But recently I accidentally turned around before the grab. So if you are facing the direction you swd then press in the opposite direction and grab you will slow down. You have to start running the other way first. only the animation of running.Allowing a grab from SWD to be more accurate. It wont stop u like using the b moves will but slow you down. Anyway thats my input.

Joker

Smash Ace
:embarrass
Um just to clear that up...

Its not that B- moves cancel the SWD, it is basicly running, and or dashing.

The reason why B-moves seem to cancel it out is because with all her B moves Except her Neutral B :psycho: , you have to input a Direction along with B, so once you input that direction, it stops her and then she goes on to doing the move you were doing.

So yeah thats all for the most part.
Its because the move consist of a button, and the directions.

co_and_me

Smash Lord
I guess that makes sense. Although I have used a bomb while in SWD and i keep my momentum.

Joker

Smash Ace
:embarrass
Uh....
Co_and_Me...
No you didnt....<.< >.> lol
Go ahead try it, when Samus SWD's as soon as you get her bomb out, it stops you dead in your tracks, this is also the way i do my consecutive SWDs.

What your saying is...

:samus: (swd)-> ---------------------(bomb)-------------------------(you end up here) :samus:

If thats what you're saying that by the time the bomb explodes your on the other side of the board, lets say FD in this case.

If thats what your mean by your post you're gonna have to show that to me man :laugh:
cause till you do , its not possible :ohwell:

co_and_me

Smash Lord
ok well maybe i will have to get some firewire and record it but yes it is possible or so it seems to me. But no you dont leave a bomb in the middle of FD and end up on the other side. But remeber if you jump out of SWD you keep the momentum but you will slow down drastically in the air right? I think thats what happens. Anyway Maybe i will put the vid on there. and the grabby thing i was talking about too. although thats not really hard to do.
Anyway maybe you right and you do stop. But i think i have had it before where maybe its because i end up inputing the bomb command before the down. like when you jump and use up air with out jumping twice.

Joker

Smash Ace
co_and_me said:
ok well maybe i will have to get some firewire and record it but yes it is possible or so it seems to me. But no you dont leave a bomb in the middle of FD and end up on the other side. But remeber if you jump out of SWD you keep the momentum but you will slow down drastically in the air right? I think thats what happens.

I know about that so, how exactly can you go about laying a bomb and then proving theres still momentum?

mictian

Smash Rookie
Yeah, The SWD is awesome. I can almost do it 50% of the time.
I remember the first time i did the SWD in a actuall battle, My friend was like wtf! when i instantly appeard infront of him, then i proceded to smash his face in. :chuckle:

Eternal Smasher

Smash Ace
For some ******** reason, the slower it is, the harder it is for me to do one. Seriously. I don't get it. Normal speed is fine, anything slower just screws it up...

co_and_me

Smash Lord
lol its so funny. I mean yes SWD can be useful but wow is there other better thing to learn with samus.

mictian

Smash Rookie
Joker said:
GET THE DOOR *****!!!
AND NO, IT AINT DOMINOES!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Its me ya SWD King, delivering yet another TJD-SWD production.( :laugh: lol god i suck :laugh: )

Seeing as tho yall keep asking for vids, i fished around in my vid vault and found this Swd vid that i did like 20 years ago :embarrass
Its nice tho if i may say so myself(flexes)
its about 1 min long. http://files.filefront.com/TJDs_Joker_Swd_Kingwmv/;4768988;;/fileinfo.html

SYKO, SWD KING
I saw your video It seems like you can SWD 9/10 times. But if you dont mind me asking do you SWD by feel or what? I SWD by sound (the beep when you drop the bomb) i can only do 50% of the time. Is this a good way I should be learning.

SIDE NOTE: Awesome video man. very consistent.

Joker

Smash Ace
:embarrass Thanks man, but now taht you mention it...
About how you go about using the sound to mark your timing, now that i think about it, i KINDA use that, but like you said i use "Feel" aswell.

Basically what it is for me is, i go by "feel" but i use that sound that you do as a "get ready" / "have my hands ready" signal for myself.

I've some what grown accoustomed to..."just doing it" but that sound in there helps me sometimes like if im in a battle and im a little off , if i intend to do the Swd, that sound reminds me " although your fighting, remember what your trying to do"

So ya i use a little of both, but i have never trained my swd timing in 2/3 speeds or any other, just normal, incase anyone ever asks :p

Lol, I like Swding in Metal :laugh:

Random :p

Joker

Smash Ace
When i first saw that vid, i was like WTF!?!!?

But after it said he was using AR for some reason i was dissapointed :ohwell:
I was waiting for someone to come out with something new with the SWD, so when i saw that vid and found that out, i deleted it :embarrass :laugh:

That vid portion probly goes better in the "Flashiest samus thing" thread in a way, although its still not possible, wish it was tho :embarrass

Top Bottom