• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project Initial Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Sadly in some character situations where one custom is optimal (see: Jigglypuff), failing to unlock that particular custom for days really sucks.

Granted nothing's stopping you from ignoring the customs you don't have, but that kind of hampers your ability to utilize them.
If it's really taking you days, you're probably doing something wrong. If you've almost fully unlocked the character, be sure to prioritize unlock methods that bias your drops towards drops for that character and also bias for drops you don't have already. I don't know how that works in Wii U but on the 3ds that means you have to finish out a character with 9.0 classic, even though 7.0 classic and Smash Run have similar efficiency when you first start out with a character.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Ah, no, I already have all the customs. I started with doing the clear-classic-on-7.0-with-all-characters challenge, then moved on to using Crazy Orders and All Star. After unlocking a dozen or so, I'd go down the existing official moveset list of and add the ones I could.

Jigglypuff and WFT were pretty much the last ones I could add customs to, however, because those UpB specials that fill the whole sets just refused to drop. Jumbo Hoop was the very last custom I unlocked because the RNG hated my guts.

Plus it's really frustrating to get nothing but ROB customs every-other attempt at Single Player modes. I seriously got six different ROB customs in one of the Classic runs... After I already unlocked all the ROB customs. Picture me screaming at my TV screen about probability.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Ah, no, I already have all the customs. I started with doing the clear-classic-on-7.0-with-all-characters challenge, then moved on to using Crazy Orders and All Star. After unlocking a dozen or so, I'd go down the existing official moveset list of and add the ones I could.

Jigglypuff and WFT were pretty much the last ones I could add customs to, however, because those UpB specials that fill the whole sets just refused to drop. Jumbo Hoop was the very last custom I unlocked because the RNG hated my guts.

Plus it's really frustrating to get nothing but ROB customs every-other attempt at Single Player modes. I seriously got six different ROB customs in one of the Classic runs... After I already unlocked all the ROB customs. Picture me screaming at my TV screen about probability.
To be fair, I yelled at my TV when ROB dropped as a playable character during Brawl singleplayer.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Moving on, I don't think we should be allowing different sized Miis. The idea that changing the height and weight of a Mii isn't gamebreaking is the same as allowing weak equipment sets. The difference made by Mii sizes is probably around the same as getting +/- 20 in a stat. But we aren't suddenly allowing equipment for not being gamebreaking in small doses.

A fully unlocked setup is good to go for everyone without using a 3DS or closing Smash bros, but to create a non-default sized Mii don't you need to literally close the game and go into Mii maker?
The thing about differently sized Miis is that the boosts and drawbacks are mostly if not completely equal, whereas Equipment gives AFAIK a boost that is equal to twice the drawback. Ex:I'd much rather give up 10 defense for 20 attack than give up all my speed and combo ability for slightly more damage and bigger hitboxes.
That being said, they should all fall within certain presets with only 1/4 deviation of Height&Weight from each other to make learning the MU less of a living hell.

Here's what I mean:

Tiny-Min Height, Min Width
Small-1/4 Height&Width
Neutral-Default
Big-3/4 Height&Width
Huge-Max Height&Width

Optional variations(I'm sure the Mii mains will be able to determine which of these will be necessary):

Small H-1/4 Height, Min Width
Small W-Min Height, 1/4 width
Neutral H-Default Height, 1/4 Width
Neutral W-1/4 H, Default W
Big H-3/4 H, Default W
Big W-Default H, 3/4 W
Huge H-Max H, 3/4W
Huge W-3/4 H, Max W
This is of course just a theory and most of the H&W variations will likely be cut to preserve need of creating all the Miis, but the new Sharing feature will probably make their importing onto the Wii Us much easier.

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Does width affect the mobility of a Mii Fighter by a substantial amount? It doesn't really seem to affect it that drastically.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Does width affect the mobility of a Mii Fighter by a substantial amount? It doesn't really seem to affect it that drastically.
I'm not sure if it's tied to width or height (having only gone from my own Mii to min-width 1/4-height), but the smaller ones have significantly less friction and seem to have higher jumps, or at least it feels that way to me.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
I'm not sure if it's tied to width or height (having only gone from my own Mii to min-width 1/4-height), but the smaller ones have significantly less friction and seem to have higher jumps, or at least it feels that way to me.
Their friction is actually so low that a Min-Height Min-Weight Mii Brawler can FoxTrot the entire length of the average FD mode
stage in 3 dashes. It's borderline Luigi.

NegaMawile

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5344-0680-9740
What should I be looking for when analysing the customs of a character? Right now I'm focusing solely on Match Up dependency, as well as how they effect follow ups (I main Sonic so this is probably the most important). I'm also trying to focus the sets on the different Homing Attacks because they change Sonic's match ups the most IMO.

Any suggestions? For either Sonic in general or how to approach this.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
@ NegaMawile NegaMawile I main Sonic as well, and Sonic's customs aren't very interesting, unfortunately. Bounce Attack is a slow meteor with no homing, and Surprise Attack is too weak and short-ranged just for extra speed. Hammer SD is awesome, as it's safe, helps recovery, buries, and can help some different combos than default because of its huge jump, merely losing power. Burning SD is strong, but it severely limits combo options. Double Spring is interesting for mixing up recovery, but default is better. Spring Head Butt is bad for limiting combo options and not going as high just for an up-B hitbox. Gravitational SC is OK, but it takes longer to charge and its push/pull effects aren't very practical in singles. Auto SC is a waste of a custom that just makes it charge like SD.

Homing Attack > Bounce > Surprise
Spin Dash =?= Hammer > Burning
Spring Jump > Double > Head Butt
Spin Charge > Gravitational > Auto

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Isn't Spin Charge and Auto practically the same thing, just a different control method?

Last edited:

NegaMawile

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5344-0680-9740
@ NegaMawile NegaMawile I main Sonic as well, and Sonic's customs aren't very interesting, unfortunately. Bounce Attack is a slow meteor with no homing, and Surprise Attack is too weak and short-ranged just for extra speed. Hammer SD is awesome, as it's safe, helps recovery, buries, and can help some different combos than default because of its huge jump, merely losing power. Burning SD is strong, but it severely limits combo options. Double Spring is interesting for mixing up recovery, but default is better. Spring Head Butt is bad for limiting combo options and not going as high just for an up-B hitbox. Gravitational SC is OK, but it takes longer to charge and its push/pull effects aren't very practical in singles. Auto SC is a waste of a custom that just makes it charge like SD.

Homing Attack > Bounce > Surprise
Spin Dash =?= Hammer > Burning
Spring Jump > Double > Head Butt
Spin Charge > Gravitational > Auto
Yeah I know his customs aren't that interesting, and 1-1-1-1 or 1-2-1-1 is the optimal set but we still need 8 more.

Burning Spin Dash has things like being able to clash and not trip with bananas to make it more useful. Surprise Attack is for pure off stage use as it doesn't throw us into the abyss when missed and can limit opponents options better than Homing Attack. Stomp's Spike may be weak but against characters with no hitbox on their recovery or linear ones it forces them to mix up their recovery unless they want to face a gimp at early percents. Gravitational I can't see the use for other than guaranteeing damage. Auto... Doesn't let us feint, but hey the option is easier. And the spring options are useless it seems.

Maybe a set like Surprise Attack/Burning Spin Dash/Spring Jump(Or Double Spring)/Spin Charge against the Diddy match up, it might work out for Ness too?

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Can Stomp hit Diddy's jetpack or Villager's balloons without refreshing their recovery?

Last edited:

NegaMawile

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5344-0680-9740
For Diddy's Jet pack surprise is the better option because it gives more leeway on aim and missing, as well as being the fastest out of the three, and I haven't tested against Villager. I'll get back to you on that.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Keep in mind Extreme Balloon Trip is probably dominant in a customs environment.
It's probably fair to run 1-2 sets with default upB just because Extreme doesn't go as high and can't sweetspot during the Balloon Fight death animation's jump.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It's probably fair to run 1-2 sets with default upB just because Extreme doesn't go as high and can't sweetspot during the Balloon Fight death animation's jump.
I was commenting towards the sonics that were planning to use homing attack on (mostly) explosive balloons, not criticizing Villager's sets.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I was commenting towards the sonics that were planning to use homing attack on (mostly) explosive balloons, not criticizing Villager's sets.
I understand, I just meant Bounce may be worth testing/having on a set or two just in case.

Last edited:

NegaMawile

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5344-0680-9740
So after testing it out, Stomp can indeed break the balloons with out interrupting villager, but only one at a time, and you can't use any of the Neutral Bs again without being hit or landing. So it may work against extreme balloon trip a bit better because you can take the hit and stroke again theoretically.

Even so Homing Attack allows for an approach option against Villagers wall. And it's not like Sonic is without ways to kill him. And yes it does seem to knock Diddy without refreshing as well. But Surprise attack and Spring do so as well and are safer off stage.

Edit: Burning Spin Dash seems to lead in to some of its own combos.

Burning Spin Dash -> Spin Shot -> N-Air -> F-Tilt -> Dash Attack 0-> 31-46%

Burning Spin Dash -> N-Air (SweetSpot) -> U-Tilt -> ?

Burning Spin Dash -> N-Air -> D-Tilt (trip) -> Grab Follow up.

It also pairs better with Double Spring due to the more grounded nature in my opinion. These have to be double checked by a better player though.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Okay so must've read stuff wrong in my other post, did not get 200 custom moves but equipment.

Now I do, though.

Went from 137 custom moves to 281, and unlocked 5 chars in 35 hours with palutena set as my active... That seems pretty freakin good. Only about a hundred left now. Definitely far more efficient.

The 3-day goal seems very real now.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Heads up on Sonic, There was a glitch in Brawl where cancelling the hop of Side B causes Sonic to remain 100% invincible during the move until he jumped or turned around. The only way to stop Sonic was to clash with him. Multihit specials like tornado could clash and then hit sonic, moves that did more than 25 damage could clash and win (lucario).

Burning spindash appears to be a ported version of that glitch (as it has no hop). Burning spindash completely ignores laser priority moves. Roll straight through Thoron, Bobombs, Smart bombs, deku nuts etc. The downside is that the clash animations appears to be longer when something does clash and it clashes/gets stuck when it hits a shield on the ground. The jump is also so low that you can't do anything but Uair without landing lag.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Hmm, seems like a good anti-projectile option.

I was looking forward to zigzag + mega gunmen ruining spindash but burning does seem to deal with them better...

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Not skip as much as save for later, when you only have 1-2 customs missing on a dozen or less characters. 12/376 (1/31) is less likely than 1/16.
So, I figure this might be important for people who'd like to know the full process of attempting to unlock customs, so lemme list it out and you can correct it where necessary.

- Obtain a Turbo controller.
- Make a nametag with controls so A is set to Special. It's recommended to turn off Rumble as well.
- Go into Target Blast, Stage 2.
- Choose Palutena, and play until you hit a target with a wrench on it and obtain a Custom Special from it.
- Return to the character select screen, and do not go any further back then that.
- Choose Ganondorf, and select the nametag you prepared that has A set to Special.
- Begin Target Blast and hold down A Turbo with a rubber band or tape or something.
- Set the controller down in a place where it will not be disturbed, and let the game automatically play through Target Blast for a few days.
- After you've unlocked around 340 different Custom Specials or more(this should take around 2 to 4 days), it may be more preferable to attempt to unlock the rest of them through other game modes, such as Crazy Orders, All Star, or character influenced Target Blast(perform this entire method again, but instead of using Palutena, use the character you want to unlock Custom Specials for, and then Ganondorf). You can, however, continue to use this method and it will eventually unlock every Custom Special for you.
- Optional: After unlocking all Custom Specials, it's recommended that you sell any and all Equipment you own. This is to prevent the creation of Custom Sets with Equipment in them during tournament time.

How does that sound?

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Hmm, seems like a good anti-projectile option.

I was looking forward to zigzag + mega gunmen ruining spindash but burning does seem to deal with them better...
No, its actually not. Most projectiles clash with spindash anyway. I havent tested smash 4 extensively, but in brawl, it only mattered because it always beat aerals, it almost beat things like falco lasers and it always beat 80% of metaknights moveset.

If you can get a projectile to clash with sonic and then use another move to hit him while he is stuck in that animation, its a free punish. So characters like megaman, duck hunt, samus etc. will still find it to be trivial.

It only goes through things with laser/infinite priority and they never interact with other hitboxes and therefore can't cause him to clash and stop.

I could see it being relevant vs Robin as speed thunder = alot of thorons, but almost no one deals with spindash by using some kind of laser. Needles might fall into this category and I believe he is also impossible to grab. Though without grab armor, no one really tries to grab Sonic out of spindash anymore.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos

Zelda's Customs
Nayru's Rejection
Thanks to wonderful new information found by @D3RK and complemented by @BJN39, we have found possible new uses for this custom move. Nayru's Rejection has a unique windbox and also has more intangibility than Nayru's Love.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Possible Applications
Nayru's Rejection is Zelda's second Side-B special. It substitutes Nayru's Rejection speed with a bunch of potential follow-ups, and adds a cape effect. Due to the low knockback, it enables Zelda to get free grab combos. It also is a free reset to neutral. It also can help Zelda create opportunities due to the cape effect able to make opponents moves whiff.
It is not a substitute for a oos option. It is used as a kill or combo set up. Due to its slower frame data, it isn't usable as a oos option.
Frame Stuff
Starting frames of Nayru's Rejection.
First frame of intangibility. She gains intangibility when she extends her leg back.
Reflector actually acts like a reflector now! Pretty sure intangible frames end at this point.
Its intangibility is about 5 frames longer than Nayru's Love making it an interesting approach or counter. For example sometimes if a character is about to throw out a smash, if Zelda throws out Rejection at the right time. She will avoid the smash while still getting the hit in.
Windbox
It has a very weird windbox, sometimes when it whiffs. The windbox will push your opponent away so you'll be safe.
In some multihitting moves, if you already throw out a Rejection and they hit you have the intangibility frames. It might pop out of the move. Like Zelda's Jab for example.
Also if you Love jump, Love boost, or stand on a moving platform, the windbox and crystal will separate. That needs more testing.
Love Jumping Nayru's Rejection.
Regular Nayru's Rejection for comparison.
The Windbox actually shifts and does damage, its not a visual error
0% damage from the windbox.
1% damage from the windbox.

These were 2 separate Nayru's Rejections.
Other
If timed right it will avoid some moves like rest or the K.O Punch. This could be useful but needs more testing
Thanks to wonderful new information found by @D3RK and complemented by @BJN39, we have found possible new uses for this custom move in order to escape combos. Farore's Squall has a windbox that starts on frame 1, meaning that it could potentially halt advances and stop combo strings. Not only this, but the windbox might be good for gimping and aiding your partner in doubles.
Possible Applications
Farore's Squall is Zelda's second Up-B special. It substitutes Farore's Wind hitboxes with a bunch of potent windboxes, and adds a great length of travel range to the move. Due to these immediate windboxes, Farore's Squall has the ability to push away opponents even as they are attacking Zelda and interrupting the move. This means that she can basically escape from most multihit attacks in the game by attempting to use Squall in the middle of being hit.

It must be made clear that the use of Farore's Squall is nearly 100% defensive. While it can be used to gimp certain recoveries and there are some set ups that can net you a guaranteed u-air kill out of Squall, the move itself has a very considerable amount of start up and can be very easily read by other players. This, however, is by no means a substitute for Farore's Wind raw kill power as an OoS option. Squall's capabilities lie in blocking attacks, stopping enemy momentum, and releasing pressure from Zelda, which is something that is impossible for her to achieve by using her vanilla moveset. By using Squall OoS, Zelda can freely push opponents away while retreating to a safe position herself. This is almost impossible to punish because the endlag on Squall is much shorter than Wind. Additionally, due to Squall's windbox coming out on frame 1 and stayin in place until Zelda disappears, a lot of aerial approaches can be halted, interfered or displaced by using Squall in midair and teleporting to the safety of the ground. As we all know, Zelda is very prone to being juggled heavily due to her lackluster aerial options. By researching more about Squall and mastering its defensive uses, we might be able to give her a good option against juggling, pressure, and aerial strings, which are very prominent in this game, specially in the match-ups that are unfavorable for Zelda.
Squall Cancelling and Squall Shield
Here's a video showing @D3RK's findings on how Squall can be used to interrupt rapid jab combos. It also shows that, when interrupted by getting hit by an attack, Zelda can buffer other moves after the windbox pushes the opponent away. The example provided is a Squall cancelled Phantom Slash.
This is additional information provided by @BJN39 on the move's technical aspects:
Match-Up Specific Uses for Squall Cancelling and Shielding
After a bit of testing with Squall's frame 1 windbox, we realized it's actually possible for Zelda to escape combos and aerial strings from certain characters that are originally a bad MU for her. The list of characters whose aerial strings have been tested are listed below:
  • :4diddy:Diddy's Hoo-Haa can be interrupted by Squall, however, she will still get hit by a bair and fair coming directly from a d-throw. The windbox will still push him back enough for him to be unable to follow up with another bair or fair. At higher percents, using Squall to escape Diddy's d-throw combos is preferable than an airdodge because the initial windbox will prevent him from getting close and Squall's lower cooldown will make it safeish if the Diddy in question tried to take to the air for an u-air. You have to be careful about being read and baited into teleporting to the ground, though. Remember that Squall will make your teleport very visible.
  • :4ness:Ness's fair strings are stopped almost completely by Farore's Squall. Due to the smaller hitboxes on Ness's aerials being dependant on his mobility for strings, Squall can almost nullify his aerial game by pushing him away. While Squall can make connecting some aerials harder for Ness, it won't completely nullify his airgame. Fair strings still have a good chance of comboing at lower percents. The only answer to them is using Squall in a very specific timeframe that could push Ness away to make Zelda retreat safely. This is a bit hard to do but more testing could prove otherwise.
  • :4peach:Peach's shield pressure coming from d-air and n-air can be interrupted by using Squall OoS, however, Zelda must always teleport away from Peach. Squall will push her upwards while she is floating, so if Zelda isn't careful Peach will still be able to get to her and use any aerial as a punish on reappear
  • :4zss:Zamus's UpB can be interrupted and pushed away from Zelda before Zamus can land the final hit, which is her most powerful KO option, both OoS and as a follow up from D-smash and her aerial chains. Using Squall against her will nullify her most reliable finisher. This is exemplified in the following video:
These are the tested characters against which Squall cancelling didn't manage to do anything outstanding:
  • :4sheik:Sheik's fair strings were nigh unaffected by the windbox, as they seem to be too fast for Zelda to react on time. This could need more testing, but it seems Squall won't really do much against Sheik save for interrupting her rapid jab.
  • :rosalina:Rosalina's u-air pressure is entirely unaffected by Squall, due to the initial windbox not affecting Luma in any way. It also doesn't stop her rapid jab if Luma is close to Zelda because of the same reason. It seems to be better to keep Farore's Wind against Rosalina for the killpower against both Rosa and Luma.
Squall Shielding against Special Attacks
As mentioned above, the frame 1 windbox will force some attacks to whiff. @D3RK tested out the effects of Squall when opposing all of the roster's special attacks (save for Miis) and their jab combos.

:4mario:
Cape: It is impossible to cape Farore's Squall. The wind box out-ranges it instantly
Super Jump Punch: Farore's Squall pushes it away before it can connect.
Jab combo: Farore's Squall can escape it.

:4luigi:
Green Missile: Can block it at any time. Idk about misfires, didn't check them.
Luigi Cyclone: Can push away at any time, but to fully block the move you need to be in intangible frames.

:4peach:
Peach Bomber: Can push away at any time, but to fully block the move you need to be in intangible frames.
Parasol: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.

:4bowser:
Whirling Fortress: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Flying Slam: Can block at any time. Squall pushes it away before Bowser can grab.
Bowser Bomb: Very difficult to block from the front, you would need perfect timing and prediction. Easily blocked from behind.
Jab combo: Zelda can push Bowser away before he can land his second hit.

:4yoshi:
Egg Lay/Tongue move: Can block at any time. Squall will push it away before the command grab can activate.
Yoshi Bomb: Very difficult to block from the front, you would need perfect timing and prediction. Easily blocked from behind.
Egg Roll: Farore's Squall can push it away but it's impossible to stop without taking damage. Too much momentum for it to cancel out.
Jab: Zelda can push Yoshi away before he can land the second hit.

:rosalina:
Launch Star: You can freely push it around since it is a non-damaging attack.
Jab: You can push Rosalina away but Luma is unaffected. Impossible to break out of her jab combo when Luma is present. Same goes for her specials.

:4bowserjr:
Clown Kart Dash: Can push away at any time, but to fully block the move you need to be in intangible frames.
Mechakoopa: You can freely push it away with the start up of Squall but if you remain in the same spot it will hit you. If you push it away with the start up then teleport towards it slightly you can blow it away completely. This could see some usage in doubles with Zelda + Bowser Jr to deliver bombs across the stage instantly.
Abandon Ship: Can block at any time. Squall pushes Bowser Jr but not the clown kart.

:4wario2:
Chomp: Zelda can push it away before the command grab can reach her.
Wario Bike: Zelda can block it, but only during the intangible frames.
Waft: Can block it at any time. It instantly out-ranges the move.
Corkscrew: Can block it at any time. It instantly out-ranges the move.

:4dk:
All specials bypass Farore's Squall unless you are in intangible frames.

:4diddy:
All specials bypass Farore's Squall unless you are in intangible frames. Monkey Kick can be blocked on startup with perfect spacing but the command grab is un-blockable.

:4gaw:
Hammer: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
All other specials are either non-damaging or reflected by Nayru's Love. You can freely push them around.

:4littlemac:
Rising Uppercut: Seems to come out instantly. Squall can block it at any time, but the start up only beats it if you can activate it first (prediction based levels of input timing.)
Jolt Haymaker: Can only block it during intantgible frames.
Straight Lunge: Can block it at any time unless it is fully charged. It's impossible to punish once fully charged.

:4link::4tlink:
Spin Attack: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Bombs: Farore's Squall can reflect them back at Link

:4sheik:
Bouncing Fish: Depends on your timing. You need to be in your intangible frames or use the second wind box.
Grenade: On startup or during intangible frames. Can also block with the ending wind box.

:4ganondorf:
Warlock Punch: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Flame Choke and Wizard Foot: Can only block with the intangible frames.
Dark Dive: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.

:4samus:
Screw Attack: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
All of her other attacks are ranged based so Nayru's can deal with them.

:4zss:
Boost Kick: The first hit can still land but as long as you activate Farore's Squall it prevents the killing hit from landing.
Plasma Whip: Can push it away but due to the range of this move it is impossible to avoid without the intangible frames.
Flip Jump: Only blocks during intangible frames or the ending wind box. It sends ZSS flying high in the air lol.

:4pit::4darkpit:
Upperdash Arm: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Power of Flight and Guardian Orbitals: Non-damaging attacks so you can freely push them around.
Jab combo: Seems harder to escape compared to most jabs but it's possible.

:4palutena:
Reflect: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Teleport and Counter: Non-damaging attacks so you can freely push them around.
Jab combo: Extremely easy to escape.

:4marth::4lucina:
Dancing Blade: Farore's Squall can escape after the first hit.
Shield Breaker: Can push it away but due to it's range you can only block it completely with intangible frames.
Dolphin Slash: Due to the speed of this move you can only block it if you activate Farore's Squall first (Prediction based reaction time required).

:4myfriends:
Quick Draw: Farore's Squall can only stop this move towards the end due to the momentum this move has at the beginning. Intangible frames can stop it at any time.
Aether and Eruption: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.

:4robinm::4robinf:
Elwind: Can block it at any time as long as you are above them. Squall out-ranges it instantly
Other specials are ranged based and handled by Nayru's Love.
Jab: Easily escaped before the fire or wind hit can activate with good DI and buffering.

:4duckhunt:
All specials are ranged based and easy to deal with using Nayru's Love. Recovery is non-damaging so you can easily push it around.

:4kirby:
Inhale: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Flip Hammer: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Final Cutter: Can push it away but the wind blade can still hit you on stage. Offstage it is easy to push away.

:4dedede:
Jet Hammer: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Super Dedede Jump: Can block it at any time as long as you are not under it.

:4metaknight:
Drill Rush: Can only block with intangible frames.
Mach Tornado: Can only block with intangible frames.
Shuttle Loop: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.

:4fox::4falco:
Fire Fox/Bird: Can block the start up at any time. The movement part of this move can only be blocked with intangible frames.
Phantasm: Can block the ending at any time. The beginning of this move can only be blocked with intangible frames.

:4pikachu:
Skull Bash: Can push at any time but this attack has too much momentum to cancel. Can only block with intangible frames.
Quick Attack: Can block the start up of this move but the movement's damage can cancel Farore's Squall.
Thunder: Can push it away but thunder will still hit you. Can avoid thunder with intangible frames.
Jab combo: Farore's Squall can escape, but its harder than most jabs because of how quick it is.

:4charizard:
Flare Blitz: Can only block during the ending of this move due to the large momentum at the beginning. Can block it at any time with the intangible frames.
Fly and Rock Smash: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Jab combo: Farore's Squall can escape.

:4lucario:
Extreme Speed: Can push the beginning away but the higher Lucario's rage the harder it is to push the movement portion of this move.
Force Palm: Can only block it with intangible frames due to the range.

:4jigglypuff:
Rollout: Can only block during the intangible frames.
Pound, Rest, and Sing: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.

:4greninja:
Shadow Sneak: Depends on your timing. If you see Shadow Sneak coming you can easily block it with intangible frames.
Hydro Pump: Can push the beginning but the movement portion of this attack has too much momentum to block.
Jab: Farore's Squall can escape it.

:4rob:
Arm Rotor: Can block the entire move using the start up and ending wind boxes.
Gyro: Can block it using the intangible frames only. However, you can freely push it around the stage with Farore's Squall at any time.
Robo Burner: Non-damaging attack so you can freely push it around.

:4ness:
Pk Thunder: Extremely gimpable recovery. Farore's Squall coming into contact with Ness makes it very hard for him to recover.
Other specials are magic based and easy to deal with using Nayru's Love.

:4falcon:
Raptor Boost: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Falcon Kick: Can only block it using intangible frames.
Falcon Punch: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Falcon Dive: Can push the start up away but will not cancel the command grab if Falcon is still in range.

:4villager::4villagerf:
Balloon Trip and Pocket: Non-damaging attacks so you can freely push them around.

:4olimar::4alph:
Winged Pikmin and Pikmin Order: Non-damaging attack so you can freely push them around.
Other specials are ranged based and easy to deal with using Nayru's Love.

:4wiifit::4wiifitm:
Header: Only blockable with intangible frames. It will reflect the ball vertical
Super Hoop: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Deep Breathing: Non-damaging attack so you can freely push it around.

:4shulk:
Air Slash and Back Slash: Can push it away but will still hit you due to the range. They are only 100% blockable with the intangible frames.
Monado Arts and Counter: Non-damaging attacks so you can freely push them around.

:4drmario:
Super Jump Punch: This move is extremely quick. Farore's Squall can block it as long as you activate it first (requires prediction levels of input).
Cape: It is impossible to cape Farore's Squall. The wind box out-ranges it instantly
Dr. Tornado: Can push away at any time, but to fully block the move you need to be in intangible frames.

:4pacman:
Power Pellet: Only blockable with intangible frames.
Pac-Jump: Farore's Squall can block it as long as you activate it first and dodge the hit box.

:4megaman:
Rush Coil: Non-damaging attack so you can freely push it around.
All of his other attacks are ranged based and easily deal with using Nayru's Love.

:4sonic:
Spin Dash: Impossible to block without taking damage. This includes using intangible frames.
Spring jump: Non-damaing attack so you can freely push it around.
Homing Attack: Only blockable with intangible frames.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ledge Shennanigans
After testing, we determined that, whenever a character is hanging from the ledge but has already lost invincibility, either from hanging on the ledge too long or from coming back after releasing, Squall's reappearing windbox will pop them up enough distance for Zelda to follow up with an u-smash, u-tilt or f-air. It might be possible that the popped up character in question will be able to air dodge, however, so more time in the lab is needed for this application.
Ledge Cancelling
@Lavani here exemplifies how Squall could be used in conjunction with ledge cancelling to get guaranteed follow ups and possible KOs
Another example of Squall's utility when used in conjunction with ledge cancelling (be mindful that this is just testing, since Captain Falcon would have normally been able to shield the traversing windbox).
The conjunction of a ledge-cancelled Squall with an u-air finisher is what we affectionally call the Squallator. @ Macchiato Macchiato here compiled a list on the %s this combo will kill all of the cast.
Character|Percents
Jigglypuff|76%+
Game&Watch|80%+
Kirby|83%+
Rosalina|83%+
Pikachu|86%+
Olimar|86%+
Fox|86%+
Meta Knight|89%+
Zero Suit Samus|89%+
Falco|89%+
Little Mac|89%+
Sheik|87%+
Zelda|89%+
Peach|87%+
Marth|95%+
Lucina|95%+
Duck Hunt|96%+
Palutena|89%+
Diddy Kong|97%+
Toon Link|92%+
Ness|93%+
Greninja|91%+
Pac-Man|93%+
Sonic|95%+
Robin|94%+
Pit|96%+
Dark Pit|96%+
Wii Fit Trainer|92%+
Luigi|92%+
Villager|94%+
Mario|97%+
Dr. Mario|97%+
Lucario|99%+
Mega Man|104%+
Shulk|100%+
Yoshi|98%+
Link|102%+
Captain Falcon|104%+
R.O.B|102%+
Wario|103%+
Ike|104%+
Samus|100%+
Ganondorf|106%+
Bowser Jr.|103%+
Charizard|102%+
DeDeDe|118%+
Donkey Kong|113%+
Bowser|107%+
Tested on Final destination with no DI or Rage
Be mindful, though, that even though the Squallator is a kill move, it is far from reliable. Every opponent can shield Squall's traversing windbox and not be affected by it. Due to Squall's very laggy start up, it is almost impossible to catch your opponent off-guard in order to take them towards the ledge. You would need them to be in a particularly awkward position, like charging a laggy attack or having been shield-broken or helpless. The closer to the ledge they are, the easier it will be for you to pull this out without them shielding.
More uses should still be investigated to determine is u-air is the only possible follow up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gimping
With a windbox as massive as Squall's, it's only natural for the move to be used as a gimping tool against characters with particularly bad or predictable recoveries. This is only reinforced by the move having incredible reach in all directions, which means Zelda can go DEEP when trying to edgeguard without having to worry about making it back onstage. The move's initial windbox is also pretty handy for stopping edgeguard attempts that don't have hugely disjointed hitboxes.

Here's a video by @D3RK showing possible uses of Squall against a variety of the cast.

Here is a list of characters that get gimped by Squall through different uses:

- :4myfriends:: His Up-B can be pushed away from the stage when he's recovering low, and his Side-B can be halted midair if Ike's not careful and tries to recover high instead of snapping the ledge. Here's a video by @ S.F.L.R_9 S.F.L.R_9 showing possible ways to gimp Ike's recovery (with a super hilarious gimp in the end that showcases the massive windbox on Squall's reappear).

- :4ness:: Predictably, Ness's recovery can be completely destroyed by the use of Farore's Squall. Windboxes have always been things the psychic kid dislikes, and this one might give the rest of them a run for their money. The start up windbox on Squall is enough to push Ness away from his PK Thunder, making it miss or launch him towards undesired directions.

- :rosalina:: Rosalina's recovery is mostly unaffected by Squall's windboxes, save for making her shoot way higher than she intended, thus forcing her to land on stage and become more vulnerable. If Zelda teleports to where Rosalina will fall, she will get an easy punish. This, however, is a big hard to achieve and shouldn't be considered an actual advantage against Rosaluma for this MU.
- :4diddy:: Diddy's recovery can actually be messed with and/or gimped by Squall in some circumstances. Either that or it can put him in a very awkward place to recover. By using Squall in conjunction with Nayru's Love or Rejection, Diddy's recovery being easily gimped is actually a relative reality for Zelda if she manages to catch him off-stage.
-:4littlemac:: If Mac's recovery wasn't already incredibly easy to gimp, Squall actually makes it even easier for Zelda. Since Squall's windboxes won't actually activate Mac's Counter, the option of him using counter to get back on-stage is nullified. Also, the reappearing windbox can stop and push both of Mac's recovery specials, since they don't sweetspot the ledge. This means that simply having Max off-stage can mean a stock in Zelda's favor if Squall is used intelligently.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Squall Boosting
By using Squall's windbox in doubles, Zelda can actually aid her team companion by pushing them towards enemies while using particularly slow attacks or charged Smashes. It also seems that Squall's traversing windbox can push certain projectiles like Phantom with it, which makes Villager, once more, a very interesting team mate for Zelda.
Additionally, Squall's traversing windbox can carry and push certain onstage projectiles, such as :4rob:'s Gyroids, :4bowserjr:'s Mechakoopas and :4zelda:'s Phantom.
This is another video by @D3RK showing the potential uses of Squall in doubles with :4villager: as a partner.
The move needs more testing, but it's looking like it can have a ton of utilities.
TO DO's for Farore's Squall:
I will keep adding new possibilities for this move in this list. Once tested, the information will be added to the OP's repository (which will be more organised later) and the To-Do will be striked.
  • Test if it can stop or interrupt aerial chains and combos such as Sheik and Ness' fair strings, or Diddy's follow ups from d-throw. Same with Palutena's Lightweight combos and other characters with which Zelda has a hard time handling pressure.
  • Test what Squall can do against Sonic's specials and approaches.
  • Test what the effects of Squall's windboxes have on bananas and on-stage items.
  • Test the strength on the windbox with the purpose of gimping character recoveries from off-stage.
  • Test how Squall can affect Ness's recovery in all of his customs.
  • Test if there are any kind of follow ups from a non-ledge cancelled reappear.
  • Test what other follow ups could be possible from a ledge cancelled reappear besides from U-air.
  • Determine the exact points from which Squall can be ledge cancelled on at least all the starter legal stages.
  • Test what Farore's Squall can do to Luma both on disappear and reappear.
  • Test what Farore's Squall can do against Mac's smashes and KO punch.
  • Test what Farore's Squall can do against Peach's pressuring aerials.
Here are the custom sets
Code:

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Zelda
Nayru's Rejection
Thanks to wonderful new information found by @D3RK and complemented by @BJN39, we have found possible new uses for this custom move. Nayru's Rejection has a unique windbox and also has more intangibility than Nayru's Love.
Possible Applications
Nayru's Rejection is Zelda's second Side-B special. It substitutes Nayru's Rejection speed with a bunch of potential follow-ups, and adds a cape effect. Due to the low knockback, it enables Zelda to get free grab combos. It also is a free reset to neutral. It also can help Zelda create opportunities due to the cape effect able to make opponents moves whiff.
It is not a substitute for a oos option. It is used as a kill or combo set up. Due to its slower frame data, it isn't usable as a oos option.
Frame Stuff
Starting frames of Nayru's Rejection.
First frame of intangibility. She gains intangibility when she extends her leg back.
Reflector actually acts like a reflector now! Pretty sure intangible frames end at this point.
Its intangibility is about 5 frames longer than Nayru's Love making it an interesting approach or counter. For example sometimes if a character is about to throw out a smash, if Zelda throws out Rejection at the right time. She will avoid the smash while still getting the hit in.
Windbox
It has a very weird windbox, sometimes when it whiffs. The windbox will push your opponent away so you'll be safe.
In some multihitting moves, if you already throw out a Rejection and they hit you have the intangibility frames. It might pop out of the move. Like Zelda's Jab for example.
Also if you Love jump, Love boost, or stand on a moving platform, the windbox and crystal will separate. That needs more testing.
Other
If timed right it will avoid some moves like rest or the K.O Punch. This could be useful but needs more testing
Thanks to wonderful new information found by @D3RK and complemented by @BJN39, we have found possible new uses for this custom move in order to escape combos. Farore's Squall has a windbox that starts on frame 1, meaning that it could potentially halt advances and stop combo strings. Not only this, but the windbox might be good for gimping and aiding your partner in doubles.
Possible Applications
Farore's Squall is Zelda's second Up-B special. It substitutes Farore's Wind hitboxes with a bunch of potent windboxes, and adds a great length of travel range to the move. Due to these immediate windboxes, Farore's Squall has the ability to push away opponents even as they are attacking Zelda and interrupting the move. This means that she can basically escape from most multihit attacks in the game by attempting to use Squall in the middle of being hit.

It must be made clear that the use of Farore's Squall is nearly 100% defensive. While it can be used to gimp certain recoveries and there are some set ups that can net you a guaranteed u-air kill out of Squall, the move itself has a very considerable amount of start up and can be very easily read by other players. This, however, is by no means a substitute for Farore's Wind raw kill power as an OoS option. Squall's capabilities lie in blocking attacks, stopping enemy momentum, and releasing pressure from Zelda, which is something that is impossible for her to achieve by using her vanilla moveset. By using Squall OoS, Zelda can freely push opponents away while retreating to a safe position herself. This is almost impossible to punish because the endlag on Squall is much shorter than Wind. Additionally, due to Squall's windbox coming out on frame 1 and stayin in place until Zelda disappears, a lot of aerial approaches can be halted, interfered or displaced by using Squall in midair and teleporting to the safety of the ground. As we all know, Zelda is very prone to being juggled heavily due to her lackluster aerial options. By researching more about Squall and mastering its defensive uses, we might be able to give her a good option against juggling, pressure, and aerial strings, which are very prominent in this game, specially in the match-ups that are unfavorable for Zelda.
Squall Cancelling and Squall Shield
Here's a video showing @D3RK's findings on how Squall can be used to interrupt rapid jab combos. It also shows that, when interrupted by getting hit by an attack, Zelda can buffer other moves after the windbox pushes the opponent away. The example provided is a Squall cancelled Phantom Slash.
This is additional information provided by @BJN39 on the move's technical aspects:
Match-Up Specific Uses for Squall Cancelling and Shielding
After a bit of testing with Squall's frame 1 windbox, we realized it's actually possible for Zelda to escape combos and aerial strings from certain characters that are originally a bad MU for her. The list of characters whose aerial strings have been tested are listed below:
  • :4diddy:Diddy's Hoo-Haa can be interrupted by Squall, however, she will still get hit by a bair and fair coming directly from a d-throw. The windbox will still push him back enough for him to be unable to follow up with another bair or fair. At higher percents, using Squall to escape Diddy's d-throw combos is preferable than an airdodge because the initial windbox will prevent him from getting close and Squall's lower cooldown will make it safeish if the Diddy in question tried to take to the air for an u-air. You have to be careful about being read and baited into teleporting to the ground, though. Remember that Squall will make your teleport very visible.
  • :4ness:Ness's fair strings are stopped almost completely by Farore's Squall. Due to the smaller hitboxes on Ness's aerials being dependant on his mobility for strings, Squall can almost nullify his aerial game by pushing him away. While Squall can make connecting some aerials harder for Ness, it won't completely nullify his airgame. Fair strings still have a good chance of comboing at lower percents. The only answer to them is using Squall in a very specific timeframe that could push Ness away to make Zelda retreat safely. This is a bit hard to do but more testing could prove otherwise.
  • :4peach:Peach's shield pressure coming from d-air and n-air can be interrupted by using Squall OoS, however, Zelda must always teleport away from Peach. Squall will push her upwards while she is floating, so if Zelda isn't careful Peach will still be able to get to her and use any aerial as a punish on reappear
  • :4zss:Zamus's UpB can be interrupted and pushed away from Zelda before Zamus can land the final hit, which is her most powerful KO option, both OoS and as a follow up from D-smash and her aerial chains. Using Squall against her will nullify her most reliable finisher. This is exemplified in the following video:
These are the tested characters against which Squall cancelling didn't manage to do anything outstanding:
  • :4sheik:Sheik's fair strings were nigh unaffected by the windbox, as they seem to be too fast for Zelda to react on time. This could need more testing, but it seems Squall won't really do much against Sheik save for interrupting her rapid jab.
  • :rosalina:Rosalina's u-air pressure is entirely unaffected by Squall, due to the initial windbox not affecting Luma in any way. It also doesn't stop her rapid jab if Luma is close to Zelda because of the same reason. It seems to be better to keep Farore's Wind against Rosalina for the killpower against both Rosa and Luma.
Squall Shielding against Special Attacks
As mentioned above, the frame 1 windbox will force some attacks to whiff. @D3RK tested out the effects of Squall when opposing all of the roster's special attacks (save for Miis) and their jab combos.

:4mario:

:4luigi:
Green Missile: Can block it at any time. Idk about misfires, didn't check them.
Luigi Cyclone: Can push away at any time, but to fully block the move you need to be in intangible frames.

:4peach:
Peach Bomber: Can push away at any time, but to fully block the move you need to be in intangible frames.
Parasol: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.

:4bowser:
Whirling Fortress: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Flying Slam: Can block at any time. Squall pushes it away before Bowser can grab.
Bowser Bomb: Very difficult to block from the front, you would need perfect timing and prediction. Easily blocked from behind.
Jab combo: Zelda can push Bowser away before he can land his second hit.

:4yoshi:
Egg Lay/Tongue move: Can block at any time. Squall will push it away before the command grab can activate.
Yoshi Bomb: Very difficult to block from the front, you would need perfect timing and prediction. Easily blocked from behind.
Egg Roll: Farore's Squall can push it away but it's impossible to stop without taking damage. Too much momentum for it to cancel out.
Jab: Zelda can push Yoshi away before he can land the second hit.

:rosalina:
Launch Star: You can freely push it around since it is a non-damaging attack.
Jab: You can push Rosalina away but Luma is unaffected. Impossible to break out of her jab combo when Luma is present. Same goes for her specials.

:4bowserjr:
Clown Kart Dash: Can push away at any time, but to fully block the move you need to be in intangible frames.
Mechakoopa: You can freely push it away with the start up of Squall but if you remain in the same spot it will hit you. If you push it away with the start up then teleport towards it slightly you can blow it away completely. This could see some usage in doubles with Zelda + Bowser Jr to deliver bombs across the stage instantly.
Abandon Ship: Can block at any time. Squall pushes Bowser Jr but not the clown kart.

:4wario2:
Chomp: Zelda can push it away before the command grab can reach her.
Wario Bike: Zelda can block it, but only during the intangible frames.
Waft: Can block it at any time. It instantly out-ranges the move.
Corkscrew: Can block it at any time. It instantly out-ranges the move.

:4dk:
All specials bypass Farore's Squall unless you are in intangible frames.

:4diddy:
All specials bypass Farore's Squall unless you are in intangible frames. Monkey Kick can be blocked on startup with perfect spacing but the command grab is un-blockable.

:4gaw:
Hammer: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
All other specials are either non-damaging or reflected by Nayru's Love. You can freely push them around.

:4littlemac:
Rising Uppercut: Seems to come out instantly. Squall can block it at any time, but the start up only beats it if you can activate it first (prediction based levels of input timing.)
Jolt Haymaker: Can only block it during intantgible frames.
Straight Lunge: Can block it at any time unless it is fully charged. It's impossible to punish once fully charged.

:4link::4tlink:
Spin Attack: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Bombs: Farore's Squall can reflect them back at Link

:4sheik:
Bouncing Fish: Depends on your timing. You need to be in your intangible frames or use the second wind box.
Grenade: On startup or during intangible frames. Can also block with the ending wind box.

:4ganondorf:
Warlock Punch: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Flame Choke and Wizard Foot: Can only block with the intangible frames.
Dark Dive: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.

:4samus:
Screw Attack: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
All of her other attacks are ranged based so Nayru's can deal with them.

:4zss:
Boost Kick: The first hit can still land but as long as you activate Farore's Squall it prevents the killing hit from landing.
Plasma Whip: Can push it away but due to the range of this move it is impossible to avoid without the intangible frames.
Flip Jump: Only blocks during intangible frames or the ending wind box. It sends ZSS flying high in the air lol.

:4pit::4darkpit:
Upperdash Arm: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Power of Flight and Guardian Orbitals: Non-damaging attacks so you can freely push them around.
Jab combo: Seems harder to escape compared to most jabs but it's possible.

:4palutena:
Reflect: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.
Teleport and Counter: Non-damaging attacks so you can freely push them around.
Jab combo: Extremely easy to escape.

:4marth::4lucina:
Dancing Blade: Farore's Squall can escape after the first hit.
Shield Breaker: Can push it away but due to it's range you can only block it completely with intangible frames.
Dolphin Slash: Due to the speed of this move you can only block it if you activate Farore's Squall first (Prediction based reaction time required).

:4myfriends:
Quick Draw: Farore's Squall can only stop this move towards the end due to the momentum this move has at the beginning. Intangible frames can stop it at any time.
Aether and Eruption: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.

:4robinm::4robinf:
Elwind: Can block it at any time as long as you are above them. Squall out-ranges it instantly
Other specials are ranged based and handled by Nayru's Love.
Jab: Easily escaped before the fire or wind hit can activate with good DI and buffering.

:4duckhunt:
All specials are ranged based and easy to deal with using Nayru's Love. Recovery is non-damaging so you can easily push it around.

:4kirby:
Flip Hammer: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Final Cutter: Can push it away but the wind blade can still hit you on stage. Offstage it is easy to push away.

:4dedede:
Jet Hammer: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Super Dedede Jump: Can block it at any time as long as you are not under it.

:4metaknight:
Drill Rush: Can only block with intangible frames.
Mach Tornado: Can only block with intangible frames.
Shuttle Loop: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.

:4fox::4falco:
Fire Fox/Bird: Can block the start up at any time. The movement part of this move can only be blocked with intangible frames.
Phantasm: Can block the ending at any time. The beginning of this move can only be blocked with intangible frames.

:4pikachu:
Skull Bash: Can push at any time but this attack has too much momentum to cancel. Can only block with intangible frames.
Quick Attack: Can block the start up of this move but the movement's damage can cancel Farore's Squall.
Thunder: Can push it away but thunder will still hit you. Can avoid thunder with intangible frames.
Jab combo: Farore's Squall can escape, but its harder than most jabs because of how quick it is.

:4charizard:
Flare Blitz: Can only block during the ending of this move due to the large momentum at the beginning. Can block it at any time with the intangible frames.
Fly and Rock Smash: Can block it at any time. Squall out-ranges it instantly.

:4lucario:
Extreme Speed: Can push the beginning away but the higher Lucario's rage the harder it is to push the movement portion of this move.
Force Palm: Can only block it with intangible frames due to the range.

:4jigglypuff:
Rollout: Can only block during the intangible frames.
Pound, Rest, and Sing: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.

:4greninja:
Shadow Sneak: Depends on your timing. If you see Shadow Sneak coming you can easily block it with intangible frames.
Hydro Pump: Can push the beginning but the movement portion of this attack has too much momentum to block.
Jab: Farore's Squall can escape it.

:4rob:
Arm Rotor: Can block the entire move using the start up and ending wind boxes.
Gyro: Can block it using the intangible frames only. However, you can freely push it around the stage with Farore's Squall at any time.
Robo Burner: Non-damaging attack so you can freely push it around.

:4ness:
Pk Thunder: Extremely gimpable recovery. Farore's Squall coming into contact with Ness makes it very hard for him to recover.
Other specials are magic based and easy to deal with using Nayru's Love.

:4falcon:
Raptor Boost: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Falcon Kick: Can only block it using intangible frames.
Falcon Punch: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Falcon Dive: Can push the start up away but will not cancel the command grab if Falcon is still in range.

:4villager::4villagerf:
Balloon Trip and Pocket: Non-damaging attacks so you can freely push them around.

:4olimar::4alph:
Winged Pikmin and Pikmin Order: Non-damaging attack so you can freely push them around.
Other specials are ranged based and easy to deal with using Nayru's Love.

:4wiifit::4wiifitm:
Header: Only blockable with intangible frames. It will reflect the ball vertical
Super Hoop: Can block at any time. Squall out-ranges it immediately.
Deep Breathing: Non-damaging attack so you can freely push it around.

:4shulk:
Air Slash and Back Slash: Can push it away but will still hit you due to the range. They are only 100% blockable with the intangible frames.
Monado Arts and Counter: Non-damaging attacks so you can freely push them around.

:4drmario:
Super Jump Punch: This move is extremely quick. Farore's Squall can block it as long as you activate it first (requires prediction levels of input).
Dr. Tornado: Can push away at any time, but to fully block the move you need to be in intangible frames.

:4pacman:
Power Pellet: Only blockable with intangible frames.
Pac-Jump: Farore's Squall can block it as long as you activate it first and dodge the hit box.

:4megaman:
Rush Coil: Non-damaging attack so you can freely push it around.
All of his other attacks are ranged based and easily deal with using Nayru's Love.

:4sonic:
Spin Dash: Impossible to block without taking damage. This includes using intangible frames.
Spring jump: Non-damaing attack so you can freely push it around.
Homing Attack: Only blockable with intangible frames.

Ledge Shennanigans
After testing, we determined that, whenever a character is hanging from the ledge but has already lost invincibility, either from hanging on the ledge too long or from coming back after releasing, Squall's reappearing windbox will pop them up enough distance for Zelda to follow up with an u-smash, u-tilt or f-air. It might be possible that the popped up character in question will be able to air dodge, however, so more time in the lab is needed for this application.
Ledge Cancelling
@Lavani here exemplifies how Squall could be used in conjunction with ledge cancelling to get guaranteed follow ups and possible KOs
Another example of Squall's utility when used in conjunction with ledge cancelling (be mindful that this is just testing, since Captain Falcon would have normally been able to shield the traversing windbox).
The conjunction of a ledge-cancelled Squall with an u-air finisher is what we affectionally call the Squallator. @ Macchiato Macchiato here compiled a list on the %s this combo will kill all of the cast.
Character|Percents
Jigglypuff|76%+
Game&Watch|80%+
Kirby|83%+
Rosalina|83%+
Pikachu|86%+
Olimar|86%+
Fox|86%+
Meta Knight|89%+
Zero Suit Samus|89%+
Falco|89%+
Little Mac|89%+
Sheik|87%+
Zelda|89%+
Peach|87%+
Marth|95%+
Lucina|95%+
Duck Hunt|96%+
Palutena|89%+
Diddy Kong|97%+
Toon Link|92%+
Ness|93%+
Greninja|91%+
Pac-Man|93%+
Sonic|95%+
Robin|94%+
Pit|96%+
Dark Pit|96%+
Wii Fit Trainer|92%+
Luigi|92%+
Villager|94%+
Mario|97%+
Dr. Mario|97%+
Lucario|99%+
Mega Man|104%+
Shulk|100%+
Yoshi|98%+
Link|102%+
Captain Falcon|104%+
R.O.B|102%+
Wario|103%+
Ike|104%+
Samus|100%+
Ganondorf|106%+
Bowser Jr.|103%+
Charizard|102%+
DeDeDe|118%+
Donkey Kong|113%+
Bowser|107%+
Tested on Final destination with no DI or Rage
Be mindful, though, that even though the Squallator is a kill move, it is far from reliable. Every opponent can shield Squall's traversing windbox and not be affected by it. Due to Squall's very laggy start up, it is almost impossible to catch your opponent off-guard in order to take them towards the ledge. You would need them to be in a particularly awkward position, like charging a laggy attack or having been shield-broken or helpless. The closer to the ledge they are, the easier it will be for you to pull this out without them shielding.
More uses should still be investigated to determine is u-air is the only possible follow up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gimping
With a windbox as massive as Squall's, it's only natural for the move to be used as a gimping tool against characters with particularly bad or predictable recoveries. This is only reinforced by the move having incredible reach in all directions, which means Zelda can go DEEP when trying to edgeguard without having to worry about making it back onstage. The move's initial windbox is also pretty handy for stopping edgeguard attempts that don't have hugely disjointed hitboxes.

Here's a video by @D3RK showing possible uses of Squall against a variety of the cast.

Here is a list of characters that get gimped by Squall through different uses:

- :4myfriends:: His Up-B can be pushed away from the stage when he's recovering low, and his Side-B can be halted midair if Ike's not careful and tries to recover high instead of snapping the ledge. Here's a video by @ S.F.L.R_9 S.F.L.R_9 showing possible ways to gimp Ike's recovery (with a super hilarious gimp in the end that showcases the massive windbox on Squall's reappear).

- :4ness:: Predictably, Ness's recovery can be completely destroyed by the use of Farore's Squall. Windboxes have always been things the psychic kid dislikes, and this one might give the rest of them a run for their money. The start up windbox on Squall is enough to push Ness away from his PK Thunder, making it miss or launch him towards undesired directions.

- :rosalina:: Rosalina's recovery is mostly unaffected by Squall's windboxes, save for making her shoot way higher than she intended, thus forcing her to land on stage and become more vulnerable. If Zelda teleports to where Rosalina will fall, she will get an easy punish. This, however, is a big hard to achieve and shouldn't be considered an actual advantage against Rosaluma for this MU.
- :4diddy:: Diddy's recovery can actually be messed with and/or gimped by Squall in some circumstances. Either that or it can put him in a very awkward place to recover. By using Squall in conjunction with Nayru's Love or Rejection, Diddy's recovery being easily gimped is actually a relative reality for Zelda if she manages to catch him off-stage.
-:4littlemac:: If Mac's recovery wasn't already incredibly easy to gimp, Squall actually makes it even easier for Zelda. Since Squall's windboxes won't actually activate Mac's Counter, the option of him using counter to get back on-stage is nullified. Also, the reappearing windbox can stop and push both of Mac's recovery specials, since they don't sweetspot the ledge. This means that simply having Max off-stage can mean a stock in Zelda's favor if Squall is used intelligently.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Squall Boosting
By using Squall's windbox in doubles, Zelda can actually aid her team companion by pushing them towards enemies while using particularly slow attacks or charged Smashes. It also seems that Squall's traversing windbox can push certain projectiles like Phantom with it, which makes Villager, once more, a very interesting team mate for Zelda.
Additionally, Squall's traversing windbox can carry and push certain onstage projectiles, such as :4rob:'s Gyroids, :4bowserjr:'s Mechakoopas and :4zelda:'s Phantom.
This is another video by @D3RK showing the potential uses of Squall in doubles with :4villager: as a partner.
The move needs more testing, but it's looking like it can have a ton of utilities.
TO DO's for Farore's Squall:
I will keep adding new possibilities for this move in this list. Once tested, the information will be added to the OP's repository (which will be more organised later) and the To-Do will be striked.
  • Test if it can stop or interrupt aerial chains and combos such as Sheik and Ness' fair strings, or Diddy's follow ups from d-throw. Same with Palutena's Lightweight combos and other characters with which Zelda has a hard time handling pressure.
  • Test what Squall can do against Sonic's specials and approaches.
  • Test what the effects of Squall's windboxes have on bananas and on-stage items.
  • Test the strength on the windbox with the purpose of gimping character recoveries from off-stage.
  • Test how Squall can affect Ness's recovery in all of his customs.
  • Test if there are any kind of follow ups from a non-ledge cancelled reappear.
  • Test what other follow ups could be possible from a ledge cancelled reappear besides from U-air.
  • Determine the exact points from which Squall can be ledge cancelled on at least all the starter legal stages.
  • Test what Farore's Squall can do to Luma both on disappear and reappear.
  • Test what Farore's Squall can do against Mac's smashes and KO punch.
  • Test what Farore's Squall can do against Peach's pressuring aerials.
Here are the custom sets
Code:
Are 2222 and 3333 legitimate sets worth using for Zelda? I don't think AA is aiming to keep them in for the EVO sets unless they're actually workable, such as with Ike.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
God, I love how dedicated Zelda mains are. First that huge guide and now this.

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
I missed Villager discussion, dang. Well.

Personally I think default Balloon Trip has it's uses, and sweet spotting the ledge from below is very useful for avoiding edge guards. Personally I'd go 2112, or even 1112, because while I love Garden, I could see default being a good option. (Though, I'll probably use just Explosive Balloon Trip, just because I like the mind games on the edge with them.)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
This is the most recent list we have for the Ike boards:

10 list set up: Only missing a few more options for upB1 and sideB1. Counter and Paralyzing counter are interchangeable honestly. I don't think any one cares enough to have them that badly. I'll put all counters at 2 for now, but 1 can be good.

Ike :4myfriends:

The only good combination missing is Quick Draw (sideB1) and Aether wave (upB3). QD1's increased recovery distance may help with Aether Wave's lack of horizontal recovery distance, but close combat is more important to have. Aether wave isn't established enough to have more than 2 combinations available.
Seeing as Counter 2 and 1 are pretty interchangeable, you can probably switch out some 2s for 1s there as you see fit (most likely the 311X one for example, might as well make it vanilla Ike with the superior fiery Eruption, maybe do the same with the 211X one). We've more or less resigned to the fact that its flat out impossible to get even close to all of the good set up options for Ike. Things will probably change if we discuss it more (like having a set for Unyielding Blade as its probably pretty good for the Luigi MU and a few other ones), but there's your more up to date starting point.

Because pretty much the only possible bad one is 1/3/1/3. Which is still not terrible, just kinda awkward but I bet there is somebody out there who likes it for a particular MU.

NegaMawile

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5344-0680-9740
Heads up on Sonic, There was a glitch in Brawl where cancelling the hop of Side B causes Sonic to remain 100% invincible during the move until he jumped or turned around. The only way to stop Sonic was to clash with him. Multihit specials like tornado could clash and then hit sonic, moves that did more than 25 damage could clash and win (lucario).

Burning spindash appears to be a ported version of that glitch (as it has no hop). Burning spindash completely ignores laser priority moves. Roll straight through Thoron, Bobombs, Smart bombs, deku nuts etc. The downside is that the clash animations appears to be longer when something does clash and it clashes/gets stuck when it hits a shield on the ground. The jump is also so low that you can't do anything but Uair without landing lag.
Thank you so much! I'll get to testing ASAP!

I don't think the jump matters as much because N-Air seems to push them away far enough if BSD doesn't on it's own. BSD leads to a more grounded Sonic I feel, so maybe Double Spring or Springing Headbutt can find used here. As U-Throw->U-Air is sort of unreliable after a point. Though the height is missed.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Double Spring might have some kind of niche use to it, but you are already slightly hurting your recovery with burning spindash not having a hop. There isnt' much to be gained from double spring really. Both double and headbutt lose out on Sonic signature spring chasing which is valuable in any matchup. The springs from double spring are also much much weaker and are less likely to stagespike or even be safe on hit.

The down and neutral Bs leave much to be desired but the quick homing attack wont make you SD when it doesnt lock on so thats a small benefit.

Grav spindash windbox might have some use somewhere...

NegaMawile

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5344-0680-9740
You're definitely right about Sonic's customs being underwhelming but we do need a lot more to meet the quota for EVO. As it stands we only have one (1-2-1-1) maybe three more with a BSD set, Double Spring Set, and a Surprise Attack Set. We're still short 6.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Surprise attack might be the most viable one overall. The original is so unlikely to hit and far to risky to use offstage.

I'd personally run Surprise, Burning and Gravity.

But I personally rarely use neutral and down b.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Default down B is best, honestly. You also need it more for the general neutral pressure without a safe on shield approach option.

Surprise is definitely best though. No suicide jank and is most consistent, I'm certain with that speed it can be comboed into as well. Not sure from what, sourspot nair maybe. Also a good auto-air dodge punish.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I don't think either version of homing attack counts as a decent approach. People can just throw out a powerful hitbox and you will just run into it.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Oh shoot, time goes by fast! We only have a day left until AA sends the sets. Okay, I have a list on what the Marth list should have. Credits to @Piford for making this incredibly easy for me.
:4marth:
I mostly just re-ordered the list and made sure 2113 was put because it maybe has some sort of niche for people with really vertical recoveries. I like 1131 because it is, imo, the best set against Villager (Iai Counter can be a pain if you're countering the bowling ball off-stage and you still get hit by U-Smash if you counter it with Iai, thus I really don't use it against Villager) so I made sure to keep that.

Even though I'm pretty sure the character boards are handling this, make sure DKWill's and all those Diddy sets that was used in that Sp00ky stream last week are put since I'm pretty sure DKWill is going to EVO. It would be an embarrassment if we don't have those added! :p

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Oh shoot, time goes by fast! We only have a day left until AA sends the sets. Okay, I have a list on what the Marth list should have. Credits to @Piford for making this incredibly easy for me.
:4marth:
I mostly just re-ordered the list and made sure 2113 was put because it maybe has some sort of niche for people with really vertical recoveries. I like 1131 because it is, imo, the best set against Villager (Iai Counter can be a pain if you're countering the bowling ball off-stage and you still get hit by U-Smash if you counter it with Iai, thus I really don't use it against Villager) so I made sure to keep that.

Even though I'm pretty sure the character boards are handling this, make sure DKWill's and all those Diddy sets that was used in that Sp00ky stream last week are put since I'm pretty sure DKWill is going to EVO. It would be an embarrassment if we don't have those added! :p
My only qualm is the lack of 1121, but that's overlookable since at least 3121 and 3123 are here. But I thought we had another week on the sets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom