• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project Initial Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Giving up the best parts of her moveset just to take away something my Metal Blade is not the best idea. AFAIK she can't jab, Upsmash, Dash attack or grab me while holding my metal blade so I'm fine with that.
Has anyone tested what Luma can do while Rosalina is holding the blade, particularly if you use the crouch trick to get tilts/whatever without throwing? I don't think it would be enough, but it could be a useful trick to have up one's sleeve.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Same as any other character. Luma does literally nothing when you throw or pick up an item however so there isnt any added value to this technique while being Rosalina. You can Fsmash, Ftilt and Z Drop+Aerial, but its not worth it to keep that metal blade.

I only steal metal blade in doubles or if I'm using Little Mac.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Shadow Blade is gimmicky at best.

It might be good, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to lose an OOS option to favor it.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Shadow Blade feels mediocre to me, but if I could bring it instead of crash bomber, I might consider it. Its like Diddy side B variations where the original is just too versatile to give room for the others in ANY matchup imo.

Metal blade is just such a diverse and crucial problem solver for megaman that no niche use special could takes its place.

The ONLY thing I could see metal blade being used for is the ditto. Metal blades get slaughtered by pellets and are nearly useless vs megaman. If shadowblade/hyper bomb beat pellets they might be useful.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
First day results of customs farming aren't too amazing, though they do suggest amazing things are possible.

I had work so could only do 5 specific char farmings (mario to yoshi on the CSS) Unfortunately, it seems like those are the only characters I got all the customs for. (Further concreting my theory that my optimized method should've been posted in the original reddit post before everyone started sharing it... It's good but not nearly as efficient)

The game also gave me the "unlocked 200 special moves" mark at about 12 hours, though I'm not 100% sure how many my friend had. No one was even close to complete, but 1 or 2 here or there so it might've only been about 150 unlocked in that span... That'd be great if it weren't for duplicates that will come later.

I couldn't do it every 4 hours, but for the 3 chars I did check after every 4 hours, they WERE completed. This trend began when I was completing my own Wii U, but I did not collect data back then.

If this trend holds up or even becomes more efficient (3.5 or less hours) I'd like to submit this as the standard "check-up" time.

Again though I must emphasize the only characters unlocked were the ones set as "active" while grinding, no sides. Hopefully those come later in droves as they did on my own Wii U when I was mid-way complete.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
So just got an idea for farming from a mostly no-custom Wii U, or during longer periods of time when you can't/don't want to check/reset the "active" character.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2xrkdc/automatic_custom_farming_day_4_updateprogress/

When set to palutena, the game gives pure no preference customs. This means far fewer duplicates while you only have about half the customs or less.

Wish I had done this from the beginning on my friends Wii U, this probably would've made the "3-day" goal much more feasible. Hopefully I can combine his data with my own to determine that.

Starting with my optimized method makes things seem more like a 5-day goal. But his seem at least TWICE as efficient for when you still haven't unlocked the majority of customs. Likely almost three times as efficient if you consider humans aren't robots and simply cannot check every 4 hours, so even around 75% unlocked, it might be better to leave on palutena if you suspect you won't be able to.

She truly is the Customs Goddess.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
So just got an idea for farming from a mostly no-custom Wii U, or during longer periods of time when you can't/don't want to check/reset the "active" character.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2xrkdc/automatic_custom_farming_day_4_updateprogress/

When set to palutena, the game gives pure no preference customs. This means far fewer duplicates while you only have about half the customs or less.

Wish I had done this from the beginning on my friends Wii U, this probably would've made the "3-day" goal much more feasible. Hopefully I can combine his data with my own to determine that.

Starting with my optimized method makes things seem more like a 5-day goal. But his seem at least TWICE as efficient for when you still haven't unlocked the majority of customs. Likely almost three times as efficient if you consider humans aren't robots and simply cannot check every 4 hours, so even around 75% unlocked, it might be fun to leave on palutena if you suspect you won't be able to.

She truly is the Customs Goddess.
Wouldn't Miis work for this as well? Or is the heightened chance of shirts and hats too big a drawback?

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Wouldn't Miis work for this as well? Or is the heightened chance of shirts and hats too big a drawback?
Yea, Miis give more Mii Equipment. They do give random customs, but they also definitely seem to give less customs. Palutena herself also seems like she may give a higher rate of customs overall, too. (Which would make sense if they made the conscious design choice to have her get everyones customs) As the data I'm collecting off of her being my active character simply is not in-line with what past observed runs have accomplished.

Will do a more in-depth data analysis via trophy rush later. But regardless, she gives more customs than Mii Fighters at least.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shadow blade is significantly better than metal blade against most rush down characters by a mile. It combos into kill moves and aerials without having to throw the projectile into the ground first. It also applies significantly more shield pressure, it pseudo-frame traps, interrupts grab attempts sometimes, catches landings significantly better, juggle traps better, has more useful, practical applications in edgeguarding... There are too many positives.

One negative is that it doesn't have long range- doesn't matter since danger wrap is the preferred custom in probably ~90% of matches against the meta characters. This means you can't alternate metal blade & crash bomb for shield pressure from long range. Hitting opponents with the neutral-b launched way doesn't combo into anything at any range either. Throwing out metal blades in neutral in this manner is a worthless tactic. Just zoning with lemons is better than alternating between any variation of crash bomb/metal blade/lemons in neutral.

Another negative is you don't get to z drop an item, which is gimmicky anyways. You get much more control of your character, with better punishes with shadow blade in most situations. The OoS item toss option you lose is very situational at best and doesn't make up for what you lose out on by not selecting shadow blade.

Metal blade/crash bomb/reflector sets work well vs long range projectile users. I might opt for shadow blade anyways in this set and lose out on the long range pressure in exchange for simply a much more applicable neutral-b.

Shadow blade/danger wrap/plant barrier is the preferred set against rush down.

Against characters with little edgeguarding potential or poor recoveries themselves I might use tornado hold. Beat is more versatile than rush if you can tech the stage consistently. Rush is more linear, has less recovery distance, but is faster than the default, so timing stage spikes against it can be trickier at the cost of less recovery distance. Most of picking an up-b variant depends on how far and low your opponent can chase you offstage.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Zdropping (lagless hitbox placement, increased shield pressure and option coverage) is a gimmick?

OoS item tossing situational?

Metal blade can hitconfirm into grab, utilt, bair etc. so I don't see shadow blade setting up anything better than that.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
First off, please keep in mind it's difficult to conceptualize this topic. I'll try the best I can.

Pulling out the blade and grabbing it gives up stage control unless you knocked them into the air first or offstage. In those situations i'd argue shadow blade is still better, but picking up a metal blade is definitely still a good option.

In neutral it's really bad to do this because you need retreating space to play your lemon game effectively. It's not worth the reward of having the item in hand at the edge of the stage. It feels rewarding to some people for a myriad of reasons, but I think it's giving up something more useful- the option to retreat with danger wrap or pellets instead of jumping over opponents or using another more risky mixup.

That said, mega man needs ways to convert his pellet game into juggles in order to maximize his punishment game. This is what his default kit sorely lacks. Shadow blade is a safe option that fills that role sometimes. So is danger wrap.

Z-dropping the blade from above an opponent generally isn't a safe manuveur unless you hard read them shielding, what's to stop them from continuing to shield, and punishing after the blade hits their shield? To get the timing of a blade hitting their shield when you go for a grab, you have to drop the blade from about full hop height, fast fall without them up airing you, then grab before they use any attack. If you don't drop it in this way, they can simply shield grab you. Regardless, using shadow blade on the ground sets up the exact same scenario, but doesn't require a metal blade in hand. To be more clear, the result of the setup is them shielding when you go for the grab. This can be avoided by simply rolling or spotdodging. That situation is still good for you, nonetheless.

There's too much to talk about when it comes to options, metal blade in hand, and his projectile game, but I'll suffice to say shooting pellets with the metal blade in hand limits your pellet game a bit and opens up some holes. Yes you gain the OoS option, but you shouldn't retreat to your shield very often anyways as mega man. Your whole focus should be mid-range zoning. If you don't land the blade you're down a projectile and you lose a ton of pressure in neutral. On the other hand, with shadow blade you can still consistently and safely use it effectively in similar situations with better reward than hitting with a metal blade toss from your hand.

And if you don't see shadow blade having really good followups on hit then I think you need to play around with it more.

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
So @ DunnoBro DunnoBro would the optimized method of unlocking customs be using Palutena to obtain one custom special from Target Blast, then immediately switching to Ganondorf and turbo punching for 3-5 days? Just skip character-specific customs unlocking and go straight to the fully random distribution?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
As I've expressed before, my concern isn't arguing which Mega Man neutral B is better; Metal Blades is most optimal, Shadow Blades has less options but still has its own niche, Hyper Bomb seems to be least optimal and is generally unproven at the moment.

My concern is over-centralizing of Metal Blades for Mega Man's slots. By all means, dedicate 5 or even 6 slots to Metal Blade sets, now that we have the room. But don't try and tell me his other neutrals don't deserve the space or that we really need 8-10 spaces for 1xxx. This is clearly not a case of a clear-cut superior option. Shadow Blades definitely deserves a spot. Heck, it needs at least two spots due to MM's other specials also having their own niches. Hyper Bomb's a bit suspect, but we still have a couple more weeks to give it consideration.

(We) Gotta try and find some system of prioritizing for Mega Man so that we can finalize something. The following is how I would do things personally:

N - Metal Blade(1) , Shadow Blade(3)
S - Danger Wrap(3) , Crash Bomb(1)
U - Tornado Hold(2)/Beat(3), Rush Coil(1)
D - Leaf Shield(1)/Plant Barrier(3) , Skull Barrier(2)

Out - Hyper Bomb(N2), Ice Slasher(S2)

On another character this would look so much more clear-cut.

As I see it, at this point the two "outs" should be least considered, though not totally off the table. After that it gets tricky. N1 and S3 are the sure-fire moves to prioritize. Up and Down Special on the other hand have lots of good argument. U2 is experimentative but is definitely proving worthwhile to consider, but it's not necessarily the top choice. U3 is also unfamiliar but has shown to have clear benefits over U1, the latter being most familiar and still with its benefits. Finally, D1 and D3 are mostly preference while D2 has its niche as a reflector.

So I suppose the Mega Man group needs to figure out if we're going to go for more offense or more defense with his Up and Down specials, and how to deal with the preference issues of the barriers. As far as I'm concerned, I enjoy Plant Barrier, but enough experience has made me accepting of Leaf Shield so that I don't mind if it gets prioritized over the other. But like Shadow Blade, Skull Barrier should definitely not be ignored (and it won't at this point). For recovery, I think the argument is "Beat or Rush Coil", 'cause Tornado Hold really ought to stay. It's not a bad recovery by any means, and the offensive applications is well worth consideration.

If I had to ultimately break the list down further, I'd personally do this:

N - Metal Blade(1) , Shadow Blade(3)
S - Danger Wrap(3) , Crash Bomb(1)
U - Tornado Hold(2), Beat(3)
D - Leaf Shield(1), Skull Barrier(2)

Out - Hyper Bomb(N2), Ice Slasher(S2), Rush Coil(U1), Plant Barrier (D1)

From there I'd prioritize the top moves for the first 5 slots:

1321 - All 4 first-priority picks
132[2] - opt for D2
13[3]1 - opt for U3
1[1]21 - opt for S1
13[1][3] - prioritize top two moves

Slot six favors the most controversial "out" move, which is Rush Coil

13[1]1

Slots 7 and 8 is for the second neutral, Shadow Blade

[3]321
[3]33[2] - Opts for D2

Slot 9 is for a set that could replace one of the sets in 7-8. This ends up favoring preference (even moreso).

[3][1]2[2] - Shadow Blade set that opts for Crash Bombs and Skull Barrier

Slot 10 is a give away ultimately. It still could replace a set in 7-8, but most likely not.

[2]321 - Just a set with Hyper Bomb in it.

The list and system I provided is by NO MEANS a suggestion I'm pushing.

Sooo, yeah... Definitely inelegant. I tend not to do elegant on the fly. I just want to bring some sort of stability to the process, because some characters like Mega Man really do have it tough having many moves that change his style and don't just clearly buff or nerf him. But by all means come up with something better (system and/or list), or just stick to the current method of discussing. It's just that with Mega Man in particular, a good deal of discussion has occurred. It's just the amount of options that's making any finalization difficult.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
I think with so many available sets we should try to have each custom in use at least once... At least, the ones that aren't irrefutably awful. Unless someone knows how to use spinphony effectively, for example.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I think Metal Blade is better against characters with chargeable storable moves because they devalue midrange zoning.

Also DanGR's Megaman is scrubby, almost never fully charges the F is for Flawless victory Fsmash

preview edit: Reflex posted some limited possible effective uses for spinphony in the jiggs boards, although I'm not sure representing every custom move at least once is worthwhile.

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
If I'm hosting a tournament and want to allow Miis what exactly do I set up?

What are the rules?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
If I'm hosting a tournament and want to allow Miis what exactly do I set up?

What are the rules?
Are Customs ON or OFF?

If Customs are ON, let people set them up themselves, either via 3DS or by creating a Guest Mii in the game. They should not however be allowed to exit the game to go to the mii maker, if they want their own mii, they have to do it on their 3DS. Equipment banned obviously. Nor should the Mii's being used be offensive in any way. The opponent should have the right to ask them to change the mii's appearance if it bothers them.

If customs are OFF, then limit the mii fighters to 1111, 2222, and 3333, Guest Miis only.

Last edited:

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
I'm trying to make a list of 10 presets before march 27th using a different method than polling. I'm trying a more analytical method based on preferences in the character thread. I might make a thread about it when I'm done to see what people think of it. Not sure it will be as liked as your method, but I think it's good to have multiple viewpoints on this before the 27th.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Are Customs ON or OFF?

If Customs are ON, let people set them up themselves, either via 3DS or by creating a Guest Mii in the game. They should not however be allowed to exit the game to go to the mii maker, if they want their own mii, they have to do it on their 3DS. Equipment banned obviously. Nor should the Mii's being used be offensive in any way. The opponent should have the right to ask them to change the mii's appearance if it bothers them.

If customs are OFF, then limit the mii fighters to 1111, 2222, and 3333, Guest Miis only.
Customs are on, I don't think I'd allow miis without customs but can people just pick whatever the **** mii they want? Are there no restrictions other than equipment?

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
As always, amazing work AA.

In regards to Miis, there's been a debate on size issues, which is why people are worried about people being so blase about choosing whichever on they want. It'd be best to have a certain size, or sizes, so people can still be allowed to be creative, but still follow the rules.

Another thing to consider and hard to plan for is efficiency. A good idea would be to load your WiiUs with the custom sets before on the day a tournament is setting up (depending on availability) when considering large tournaments, and for smaller ones, do the same thing. In either case you'd have to get there early than singups most likely. If you wanted to have a specific Mii, you'd probably also have to come during that assigned time. While a couple minutes here and there might not seem like a lot, it adds up quickly, meaning a Smash 4 tournament could take much longer than it is supposed to.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
That's some conflicting information there. According to jigglymaster they can bring in whatever they want unless they're offensive aesthetically.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Correct. All height and weight variations are allowed but it's probably best that their faces are generic.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Customs are on, I don't think I'd allow miis without customs but can people just pick whatever the **** mii they want? Are there no restrictions other than equipment?
That's some conflicting information there. According to jigglymaster they can bring in whatever they want unless they're offensive aesthetically.
Well what makes you believe that they shouldn't be able to do whatever they want besides equipment? The sizes aren't game breaking, or at least they haven't proven to be yet. Costumes don't change anything and it brings more appeal to the character overall.

As for offensive things, there's no specific criteria to it but if it offends the opponent or the streamers, then they should be able to deny the player from using said character outfit, they should have a good reason for asking so though.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
First off, please keep in mind it's difficult to conceptualize this topic. I'll try the best I can.

Pulling out the blade and grabbing it gives up stage control unless you knocked them into the air first or offstage. In those situations i'd argue shadow blade is still better, but picking up a metal blade is definitely still a good option.

In neutral it's really bad to do this because you need retreating space to play your lemon game effectively. It's not worth the reward of having the item in hand at the edge of the stage. It feels rewarding to some people for a myriad of reasons, but I think it's giving up something more useful- the option to retreat with danger wrap or pellets instead of jumping over opponents or using another more risky mixup.

That said, mega man needs ways to convert his pellet game into juggles in order to maximize his punishment game. This is what his default kit sorely lacks. Shadow blade is a safe option that fills that role sometimes. So is danger wrap.

Z-dropping the blade from above an opponent generally isn't a safe manuveur unless you hard read them shielding, what's to stop them from continuing to shield, and punishing after the blade hits their shield? To get the timing of a blade hitting their shield when you go for a grab, you have to drop the blade from about full hop height, fast fall without them up airing you, then grab before they use any attack. If you don't drop it in this way, they can simply shield grab you. Regardless, using shadow blade on the ground sets up the exact same scenario, but doesn't require a metal blade in hand. To be more clear, the result of the setup is them shielding when you go for the grab. This can be avoided by simply rolling or spotdodging. That situation is still good for you, nonetheless.

There's too much to talk about when it comes to options, metal blade in hand, and his projectile game, but I'll suffice to say shooting pellets with the metal blade in hand limits your pellet game a bit and opens up some holes. Yes you gain the OoS option, but you shouldn't retreat to your shield very often anyways as mega man. Your whole focus should be mid-range zoning. If you don't land the blade you're down a projectile and you lose a ton of pressure in neutral. On the other hand, with shadow blade you can still consistently and safely use it effectively in similar situations with better reward than hitting with a metal blade toss from your hand.

And if you don't see shadow blade having really good followups on hit then I think you need to play around with it more.
I think you are devaluing how useful items are, but I'll concede that shadow blade isn't useless. I think its just very much outclassed by metal blade. Metal sets up kills, damage, jab locks, infinites, covers your landing, helps you juggle, support in doubles.

Moving on, I don't think we should be allowing different sized Miis. The idea that changing the height and weight of a Mii isn't gamebreaking is the same as allowing weak equipment sets. The difference made by Mii sizes is probably around the same as getting +/- 20 in a stat. But we aren't suddenly allowing equipment for not being gamebreaking in small doses.

A fully unlocked setup is good to go for everyone without using a 3DS or closing Smash bros, but to create a non-default sized Mii don't you need to literally close the game and go into Mii maker?

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
It's not fair to compare Mii size adjustment to equipment. They're not related at all. Mii sizes are an issue unique to Miis alone. I don't think there's a good reason to ban custom Mii sizes, but I'm still wondering if anyone has a good idea on how to name them.

Like I said before, I originally wanted to use a TNSUD-HHWW naming scheme: type (B/S/G), NSUD specials, height (3DS Mii Maker values from 00 to 53), weight (same). That doesn't work, though, because you can't have more than 5 numbers in a name.

EDIT: You could get around this by using A, B, C for specials instead of 1, 2, 3, but it's not the most elegant solution.

Last edited:

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
I think you are devaluing how useful items are, but I'll concede that shadow blade isn't useless. I think its just very much outclassed by metal blade. Metal sets up kills, damage, jab locks, infinites, covers your landing, helps you juggle, support in doubles.

Moving on, I don't think we should be allowing different sized Miis. The idea that changing the height and weight of a Mii isn't gamebreaking is the same as allowing weak equipment sets. The difference made by Mii sizes is probably around the same as getting +/- 20 in a stat. But we aren't suddenly allowing equipment for not being gamebreaking in small doses.

A fully unlocked setup is good to go for everyone without using a 3DS or closing Smash bros, but to create a non-default sized Mii don't you need to literally close the game and go into Mii maker?
It's not fair to compare Mii size adjustment to equipment. They're not related at all. Mii sizes are an issue unique to Miis alone. I don't think there's a good reason to ban custom Mii sizes, but I'm still wondering if anyone has a good idea on how to name them.

Like I said before, I originally wanted to use a TNSUD-HHWW naming scheme: type (B/S/G), NSUD specials, height (3DS Mii Maker values from 00 to 53), weight (same). That doesn't work, though, because you can't have more than 5 numbers in a name.
Miis have confused the **** out of me due to their weight and size. I really hope sooner or later someone make comprehensive guide about them so we don't have future problems.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Honestly, I like just having the Mii rules like this (and this is what I run):

- Mii fighters are Legal
- Any combination of a Mii's moves may be used
- All Mii fighters must be made using the Guest Miis which come premade on the Wii U system

Banning Miis from having whatever loadout they want is stupid because you can use them even with Customs: OFF, and it's not like the Miis warrant banning in the first place like some places do.

The guest Miis rule is for a few reasons:
1) It's just faster than making a new Mii and knowing exactly the height/weight for future builds with that Mii
2) No costumes and stuff, which are pointless (look neat, but takes up time)
3) I considered a "You may transfer your own Mii from your 3DS system" ruling, but decided that that punished players who did not have a 3DS version of Smash. The other reason I decided against it is because at really big tournaments (EVO, Apex, etc) they aren't going to allow 3DS transfer for time reasons

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
So @ DunnoBro DunnoBro would the optimized method of unlocking customs be using Palutena to obtain one custom special from Target Blast, then immediately switching to Ganondorf and turbo punching for 3-5 days? Just skip character-specific customs unlocking and go straight to the fully random distribution?
Not skip as much as save for later, when you only have 1-2 customs missing on a dozen or less characters. 12/376 (1/31) is less likely than 1/16.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I've grown extremely fond of the 1/4 height minimum width Miis lately (after I made some novelty ones like Vash the Stampede and Dracula). Just try to find Mii users ahead of time and clear their Miis in advance if possible.

freezy

Smash Rookie
Already posted this in the CEO news on the mainsite, but also post this here for people that need some more arguments vs. the "I have to learn too many match ups, it's so hard!" and the "it is too early, it takes too long to get the necessary stuff" arguments:

Look at Pokemon. Players not only have to learn hundreds of Pokemon and their stats, abilities and attacks, they also have to catch them and train them, which takes a long time. Still there are championships, so clearly not too hard for Pokemon players. Another example: Look at Dota2 or LoL. Players have to learn many many heroes + their abilities, and items. And in the case of LoL, you even have to unlock heroes and runes, which also takes a long time. Still LoL is the most successful game on both the casual and the eSports level. So clearly this isn't any issue in the MOBA genre. So I don't know, are FGC players just mega conservative, mega lazy or big whiners?
And remember Melee and how long it takes to unlock all characters and stages there? It might take as long as unlocking the custom moves in Smash4. Still no chars or stages were banned in early tourneys based on that argument. And what with all those new Melee players nowadays that get Gamecubes and need to unlock their stuff? They have to get through that, too. Tournament attendees have to deal with it.

Regarding CEO: EVO will be with customs. Jebailey said himself multiple times that most of the people that attend CEO mostly also attend EVO. So people will have to prepare for custom moves anyway. Banning customs for CEO won't change the fact that most of his attendees still prepare for customs. Allowing customs for CEO might even benefit them so they can practice them in a larger tournament before EVO.
And those events are still months away, so enough time for unlocking and testing. Anyone who says he is not able to unlock customs in nearly half a year probably also won't have them unlocked next year and clearly does not want to do it at all. Next year they would come up with another excuse to block introducing customs. So they should be ignored and customs introduced everywhere now, because the longer we wait the harder it gets.

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
So I'm a little confused: Only some custom moves will be legal at Evo? Only some specific sets/loadouts will be available to choose from as desired, or not at all?

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
So I'm a little confused: Only some custom moves will be legal at Evo? Only some specific sets/loadouts will be available to choose from as desired, or not at all?
Every custom move is legal, but EVO will only allow you to pick from 10 predetermined sets per character.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
As for offensive things, there's no specific criteria to it but if it offends the opponent or the streamers, then they should be able to deny the player from using said character outfit, they should have a good reason for asking so though.
I'd leave that entirely up to the TO, let's not become the DoA5 scene.

Thanks, I think I'm just going to allow whatever people want sans equipment.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Just finished getting every custom on the Wii U version. I already had quite a few from the various modes while trying to unlock stages and music (unlocked characters purely through matches) but that trick with a turbo controller and Ganondorf on Target Blast got me most of them. When there were only a few left I relied more on All Star on hard mode. I started the trick some time last week so I'd say it took me less than a week to finish though again I already had some before using it.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
As stated, 10 sets per character will be available to choose from at EVO. The sets are dynamic and not set in stone though, so if you want to play with a specific set, you should go to the Custom Move thread on your character board and argue for the movesets you like.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
As stated, 10 sets per character will be available to choose from at EVO. The sets are dynamic and not set in stone though, so if you want to play with a specific set, you should go to the Custom Move thread on your character board and argue for the movesets you like.
To elaborate further, the reason it's being done like this is because actually unlocking every custom move on every setup (they have what, 64 of them?) is a bit much to ask for. So this is the next best thing because realistically, most players will want to use one of a few optimal/popular sets. I mean, it's EVO, they're playing for all the marbles here.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Sadly in some character situations where one custom is optimal (see: Jigglypuff), failing to unlock that particular custom for days really sucks.

Granted nothing's stopping you from ignoring the customs you don't have, but that kind of hampers your ability to utilize them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom