• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project Initial Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It's worth noting that Japan isn't a hivemind any more than we are. Even if they don't run a lot of custom tournaments, I'm sure many actual Japanese players are quite familiar with the system.
Seconding this. People used to tell stories about 3 stage tournaments in Japan, then turn around and post a few Japanese tournament matches that happened on liberal stages.

From the outside looking, the EVO ruleset is the primary giveaway that NA is as pro-customs as it is, with lots of the more highly discoverable majors forbidding customs due to majors having an excessive need not to alienate anyone.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
So it looks as if we have finished the sets for R.O.B. :4rob:

Code:

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Okay so I wasn't able to get around to it until now, but I wanted to report back on the Customs tournament I held last weekend. The results can be found here.

It was interesting to see Dr. Mario taking the tournament, as well as the variety of characters that made it to Top 8. Dr. Mario with Customs is legitimately awesome (shout-out to @ kuma-b4 kuma-b4 ). One thing that I noticed while running the event was that not many people would select customs for their tournament matches, but really got into exploring them during friendlies. One of the coolest things I witnessed was when one of the players, in their winners bracket match, combo'd off two of King Dedede's custom moves: the Dedede player used Taste Test to spit their opponent below Smashville, and immediately used Rising Dedede to stage spike them. They did a lot of cheeky things like that at the tournament, and I am excited about that custom Up-B.

One thing that was super helpful: we had print-outs at each station/set-up that was a cheat-sheet for each character's Custom Moves and the corresponding number. I had several people who I played against consult the cheat-sheet to figure out which Olimar customs I was using.

In general, they created a great buzz and we'll be doing our next tournament using them as well. Hopefully with the exposure from this last time, we should be able to get a lot more people running custom builds. We'll just have to update to the Evo Release, and we'll be golden.

As a gift, here's the Grand Finals of Custom Dr. Mario vs Custom-less Rosalina. Enjoy!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Okay so I wasn't able to get around to it until now, but I wanted to report back on the Customs tournament I held last weekend. The results can be found here.

It was interesting to see Dr. Mario taking the tournament, as well as the variety of characters that made it to Top 8. Dr. Mario with Customs is legitimately awesome (shout-out to @ kuma-b4 kuma-b4 ). One thing that I noticed while running the event was that not many people would select customs for their tournament matches, but really got into exploring them during friendlies. One of the coolest things I witnessed was when one of the players, in their winners bracket match, combo'd off two of King Dedede's custom moves: the Dedede player used Taste Test to spit their opponent below Smashville, and immediately used Rising Dedede to stage spike them. They did a lot of cheeky things like that at the tournament, and I am excited about that custom Up-B.

One thing that was super helpful: we had print-outs at each station/set-up that was a cheat-sheet for each character's Custom Moves and the corresponding number. I had several people who I played against consult the cheat-sheet to figure out which Olimar customs I was using.

In general, they created a great buzz and we'll be doing our next tournament using them as well. Hopefully with the exposure from this last time, we should be able to get a lot more people running custom builds. We'll just have to update to the Evo Release, and we'll be golden.

As a gift, here's the Grand Finals of Custom Dr. Mario vs Custom-less Rosalina. Enjoy!

Could you link me to the document for the cheat-sheets? I was thinking of making something similar this for this upcoming week, but if there already is one that'd be awesome.

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363

Yo, I'd love those cheat sheets. Running a custom tournament soon so those would be super helpful.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Cheat sheets are actually a really clever idea, especially if formatted so that each character's sections stick out from each other, making navigation easier, plus your opponent has the right to know what you're running.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Cheat Sheets are super useful, we use them at our weeklies as well.

http://i.imgur.com/GscIQpB.png
http://i.imgur.com/EmpTBf6.png

I suggest using a heavier than standard paper (like resume paper) if you plan on printing them doublesided, otherwise any light from behind will make the image burn though and make it hard to read. Also laminate them or get plastic sleeves if you can, plain paper will get torn up and creased pretty fast.

Twin Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
I agree. Fast Pills gave a free damage source in neutral and the Soaring Tornado kill was hype. I was really hoping for an Ol' One-Two kill but, meh lol.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Yeah like I knew Doc had kill power but holy crap FSmash kill with next to no rage at 69? Soaring Tornado kill at 46? What?
Don't forget Rosalina is the 4th lightest character in the game, and they were already offstage for the Tornado kill. But yes, he's got some power for sure.

Of course, this also demonstrated very well that if he goes offstage he's basically dead. Rivals Little Mac for poor recovery.

kuma-b4

Smash Cadet
NNID
PK_Love_Omega
Don't forget Rosalina is the 4th lightest character in the game, and they were already offstage for the Tornado kill. But yes, he's got some power for sure.

Of course, this also demonstrated very well that if he goes offstage he's basically dead. Rivals Little Mac for poor recovery.
I'm highly considering going for the Super Jump custom next time around. It lets Doctor Mario's offstage game actually exist, as he gains some great recovery, sacrificing some on-stage kills, down throw combos, and an out of shield option.

Note that the replay of the match on Duck Hunt was lost- I believe I was able to tack on some decent damage there, but it was still difficult to use effectively due to pesky, pesky Luma.

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
You did a great job on the tournament @ kuma-b4 kuma-b4 , however, I really think the normal > Super Jump, since the normal one + Soaring Tornado already covers enough distance, and you usually preserved a jump every-time you went off-stage so I don't think you needed that much distance on up-B. Having an OoS option seems really good though, and it just makes Dr. Mario perform much better from my experience. One Ol' Punch is probably not amazing for you, and probably not really worth the distance loss, but I think the original Up-B covers the best of both sides. :3

Take what I say with a grain of salt though, I'm not the best Dr. Mario by a long-shot nor do I main him haha.

Last edited:

kuma-b4

Smash Cadet
NNID
PK_Love_Omega
You did a great job on the tournament @ kuma-b4 kuma-b4 , however, I really think the normal > Super Jump, since the normal one + Soaring Tornado already covers enough distance, and you usually preserved a jump every-time you went off-stage so I don't think you needed that much distance on up-B. Having an OoS option seems really good though, and it just makes Dr. Mario perform much better from my experience. One Ol' Punch is probably not amazing for you, and probably not really worth the distance loss, but I think the original Up-B covers the best of both sides. :3

Take what I say with a grain of salt though, I'm not the best Dr. Mario by a long-shot nor do I main him haha.
I really wish Winners Finals was saved, as I did some fancy stuff with the Ol' One-Two there. It's pretty awesome, and it kills early! I regret not using it more in Grand Finals, but I wanted to go for the safest options possible. It's quite punishable.

You're probably right about his normal Up-Special, though, and I'll experiment with it as time goes on. Solid damage and alright range makes it a pretty good option for him. Thanks for the input! :)

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Here are the custom move Cheat-Sheets we made up for the tournament last weekend. I attached them, and they are in PDF format. We wanted to put a very, very brief descriptor tag for each custom move, as to give competitors and idea of what each did.

We'll likely be fine tuning it for next time, but it definitely worked out well!

Attachments

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
These lists are amazing, it's very professional and was well done.

I have no complaints about it, other than the fact that Iai Counter actually does 1.4x damage as opposed to normal counter which does 1.2x. At least for Marth, so I would remove the weak part. :p

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Here are the custom move Cheat-Sheets we made up for the tournament last weekend. I attached them, and they are in PDF format. We wanted to put a very, very brief descriptor tag for each custom move, as to give competitors and idea of what each did.

We'll likely be fine tuning it for next time, but it definitely worked out well!
This is an excellent and simple way to describe custom specials. Hopefully this gets more exposure as it will definitely help unfamiliar players to get the gist of what a custom may do.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
That match is great, it demonstrates everything we've been saying.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
These lists are amazing, it's very professional and was well done.

I have no complaints about it, other than the fact that Iai Counter actually does 1.4x damage as opposed to normal counter which does 1.2x. At least for Marth, so I would remove the weak part. :p
Similarly, Luigi's Fiery Jump Punch does less damage on a crit, not more. The size is bigger. I guess you can interpret "+crit" to mean bigger critical area but I wouldn't..

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I wrote up my thoughts on Olimar/Alph's custom moves:
http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...set-project-olimar-alph.380353/#post-18734872

I'm pretty satisfied with the sets I settled on. I'm going to play a bunch of matches with Winged Pikmin Jump to see if there's any value there, but it's honestly been a disappointment thus far. Maybe I'll find a matchup where it's useful, and then I'll throw on a niche set featuring - probably wont happen.

EDIT:

Wow. Okay, so Hardy Pikmin Pluck and Explosive Pluck actually decrease Olimar's grab range. It allows him to grab enemies closer to him, but it doesn't reach out as far.

Last edited:

Azriel Auxifur

Smash Cadet
Alright so I collected 1394 custom equipments 47 Headgears. 70 bonus effects amd 9 outfits

for custom moves I received 347. I noticed one of my friends were at the same number the other day is that the max number if customs I can unlocked through sheer luck? (I am missing 1 or 2 from the achievement panal)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
There's 376 customs to be found (Palutena and the Miis already have theirs available) and less than 10 locked behind challenges IIRC, so you still have some work to do I think. Unfortunately there's no easy way to check which ones you have other than simply going to the customization menu and trying to make a set. I suggest doing so anyway and making a list of the ones you're missing so you can figure out how to best focus your remaining efforts.

On a different subject, it turns out that Rosalina's Floaty Star Bit custom is transcendent. The vast majority of projectiles go right through it and vice versa, the only exceptions are projectiles with a hurtbox like Pikmin, Gordos, etc.

Last edited:

Azriel Auxifur

Smash Cadet
Well I'm off to work in a couple of hours I guess I'll reset to Palituna and let ganon continue doing his work, hopefully it'll be done tonight. Though I realized how many customs equipment nintendo has created...I can't believe they made this many

Twin Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
Going to have Customs at another WI tourney. The Capitol 3 in Madison this Saturday will be allowing them as I contacted the TO. The only reason they weren't going to have them was because no one had them to give. I'll be sure to provide any insights I get from the players.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I've been using the custom farming method with ganondorf over the past few days, to some success. I was wondering, how am I supposed to incorporate Palutena into the routine? I've heard I'm supposed to, but I don't know how or why.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I didn't make use of Palutena at all when I did the custom farming with Ganon. I just let Ganon do his thing for a few hours and would stop every now and then to see what all was collected. When I got down to the last dozen or so of characters I started using them in All-Star hard mode which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. One thing of interest is that during the times All-Star didn't get me new customs (namely Ness) I'd get the customs for that character shortly after during farming.

Now maybe that only worked for me so well due to luck and already having a few characters completed (I know I had the Marios, Yoshi, DK, Diddy and Ike done before ever farming and a number of customs for most characters were also already obtained) but it took me less than a week of farming to get every single custom on Wii U.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I've been using the custom farming method with ganondorf over the past few days, to some success. I was wondering, how am I supposed to incorporate Palutena into the routine? I've heard I'm supposed to, but I don't know how or why.
You win one round of target blast with her to trick the game into thinking you're farming with Palutena when you're actually farming with Ganon, so that you get wildcard moves instead of moves that give preference to Ganon.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
2 questions. Is there a link to the post with this farming method? Also, is it for WiiU or 3ds, or both? I've had a good bit of down time recently and just grinding out some single players games with the characters i want to lock moves with on 3ds. works decently well once you figure out how to target certain characters.

Also, has anyone done any work to see how the various pre-configured Mii characters are? As far as weight and all that are concerned? Seems like if you were to allow Custom Mii's, you might just allow people to make one from any of the pre-made Mii's on the system. Unless they're different for each system.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Could someone link me to an automatic turbo controller I could buy online? I dont want to use a rubberband or anything to hold the button down. I'd like one with a switch like the old 6 button genesis controllers.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I feel Ganondorf should have a 2112 custom set, Dark Fists is good but some would like to use Dark Dive, the default, along with his two other customs that are preferable in most scenarios.

Raijinken

Smash Master
This isn't the place to discuss specific character sets. Take that to each respective board.
On the contrary, we've been discussing specifics for weeks, because the character boards (at least for some characters) don't get as much feedback.

Both places are worth having the discussion.

And for that particular one, while I'd never run Dark Dive, I could agree with putting it on 1-2 sets.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
On the contrary, we've been discussing specifics for weeks, because the character boards (at least for some characters) don't get as much feedback.

Both places are worth having the discussion.

And for that particular one, while I'd never run Dark Dive, I could agree with putting it on 1-2 sets.
Preferably character discussion should stay on the character boards so that this thread doesn't get flooded and so that everyone interested in a character can see the discussion without having to hang out in this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom