• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
He's saying to strike down to 2 stages and then Random between those 2. You could actually just flip a coin again to determine who picks between the last two stages as that would save time.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I have a small suggestion. I really don't think that Halberd belongs in limbo. It should be a definite Counter Pick due to the beam and combo chain. To my understanding, a Starter stage can't directly interfere to kill someone.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Except the Pictochat hazards are not nearly as predictable and disruptive as the Halberd ones.
I don't think this question calls for it's own topic, and I only want a few opinions so I figured I'd drop by here:

Has the opinion of Brawl changed at all? As in, are Melee players kinda-sorta, if even just a little bitty bit, warming up to Brawl?

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
a few are kinda converting,its still the whole"underwhelming metagame" that makes people not wanna switch right now.(this should be discussed in another topic btw.)

and @Pictochat, the few hazards that are there,are VERY predictible,theyre easier to 'combo' off of than halberd.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Yeah I just read 'metagame' a few posts above and I suddenly got that question so I decided to ask since it as stated the meta's still quite young.. and yeah I know it was jjust a quick question, so to contribute to the thread:

I think Halberd should be neutral. I have mixed feelings, actually. I mean, Halberd's hazards are pretty easily avoided, and add a bit of variety to the stage, something I think is healthy in a tournament setting, just to.... well to have SOMETHING besides the exact same thing.. But then there's the fact that the hazards actually target you, and when trying to avoid them (especially that **** claw, when it goes psycho!), you may lose focus on the actual match, and you may end up playing tag with a cannon and someone else chasing you :/. However you can use the hazards to an advantage, by tossing your opponents into them. BUT ultimately I feel this makes it all the more counter-pick worthy, so.... I guess the CP outweighs the Neutral :/

^I just debated with myself and came out with an answer.... nice!

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I just read 'metagame' a few posts above and I suddenly got that question so I decided to ask since it as stated the meta's still quite young.. and yeah I know it was jjust a quick question, so to contribute to the thread:

I think Halberd should be neutral. I have mixed feelings, actually. I mean, Halberd's hazards are pretty easily avoided, and add a bit of variety to the stage, something I think is healthy in a tournament setting, just to.... well to have SOMETHING besides the exact same thing.. But then there's the fact that the hazards actually target you, and when trying to avoid them (especially that **** claw, when it goes psycho!), you may lose focus on the actual match, and you may end up playing tag with a cannon and someone else chasing you :/. However you can use the hazards to an advantage, by tossing your opponents into them. BUT ultimately I feel this makes it all the more counter-pick worthy, so.... I guess the CP outweighs the Neutral :/

^I just debated with myself and came out with an answer.... nice!
interesting contradiction ftw!
but id go with CP,as it is now(and its pretty much the genrall concensus of the public)

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Yeah, when you (at least me) think about it generally and really plainly, Halberd looks like a neutral stage, but then if you actually THINK about things (who knew?), it seems to fit more as a counter-pick (sadly).. I still like it! But eh counterpick isn't that bad I guess--much better than banned!

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I fail to see how the hazards affect one character more than another. It sounds very neut- starterish.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
*cough* Spear Pillar-Dialgia should be counter and any other form of it banned, as it's not plausible to rig this without USB gecko it should be banned...but with it....it should be counter.

Just bringing this up as it's my opinion >.>

fkacyan

Smash Hero
*cough* Spear Pillar-Dialgia should be counter and any other form of it banned, as it's not plausible to rig this without USB gecko it should be banned...but with it....it should be counter.

I'll be busy running around in the loop for the stage.

infomon

Smash Scientist
That's a really hard thing to ban. "You can't run around the loop more than 10 times"?? How do you moderate something like this? What if you fire the odd laser behind you?

This discussion has already happened in this thread iirc...

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord

You don't need a USB Gecko to use cheats, just a $5 dollar SD card, and maybe a copy of Twilight Princess Wii. If you're too poor to even afford that, then I can understand. Sort of.

AlexX

Smash Ace
I have a small suggestion. I really don't think that Halberd belongs in limbo. It should be a definite Counter Pick due to the beam and combo chain. To my understanding, a Starter stage can't directly interfere to kill someone.
The beam is easy to avoid as it gives you a clear crosshair to show where it's going to fire. And if you get knocked into it, you can just DI out of it before the knockback frames kick in.

Claw only kills at high %'s and you can shield or dodge it.

Nixis

Smash Cadet
i was wondering. since the sample stages are default on brawl as well, should they be banned as well? i mean, i know custom stages are naturally banned, but what about the samples? Sample S is pretty small, and the ledges are hard to grab... Sample M is tough to get kills, and Sample L has a low blast line

Oracle

Smash Master
The beam is easy to avoid as it gives you a clear crosshair to show where it's going to fire. And if you get knocked into it, you can just DI out of it before the knockback frames kick in.

Claw only kills at high %'s and you can shield or dodge it.
They can both accidentally be hit into, so no matter how easily avoidable it is, it still affects gameplay.

AlexX

Smash Ace
They can both accidentally be hit into, so no matter how easily avoidable it is, it still affects gameplay.
You can't be hit into the claw as it only attacks for a matter of seconds. If you shield or dodge it, you're not going to be hit by it. The laser? As I said, you can just DI out of it.

Even the inargued starter stages have things that affect gameplay (for example, Jigglypuff, MK, and etc. can go from one side of Battlefield or Smashville to the other underneath the stage, and ones that can glide can do it on FD, too). What matters is how significantly they affect gameplay, which for Halbeird they're so minor they might as well not even be there.

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
it has probably already been said, but why the heck is green hill zone on counter? it has walk-off edges, the checkpoint thingy that only hurts one person, and a floor that gives out. That's like 99% the same things that got bridge of eldin banned. I agree with the eldin ban, but then why is a stage with all the same quirks a counter?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Really the only problem with Elden was the walkoffs - GHZ kinda hinders their affects via the high slopes.
At least that's what I think.

Oracle

Smash Master
You can't be hit into the claw as it only attacks for a matter of seconds. If you shield or dodge it, you're not going to be hit by it. The laser? As I said, you can just DI out of it.

Even the inargued starter stages have things that affect gameplay (for example, Jigglypuff, MK, and etc. can go from one side of Battlefield or Smashville to the other underneath the stage, and ones that can glide can do it on FD, too). What matters is how significantly they affect gameplay, which for Halbeird they're so minor they might as well not even be there.
You can still get grabbed by someone and simply held untill the claw attacks, where the grabber would survive. (lower percent)

The starter stages' gameplay affecting stuff applies on every stage and it is character specific.

AlexX

Smash Ace
You can still get grabbed by someone and simply held untill the claw attacks, where the grabber would survive. (lower percent)
But the problem there is that if they try to grab you, they risk the claw changing who it targets since it operates similar to the sticky bomb.

Also, what's with the "lower percent" comment? It can't kill at low %'s. I survived a blow at over 150% as Ike before (or it might have been Oli... I haven't been hit by it in some time).

The starter stages' gameplay affecting stuff applies on every stage and it is character specific.
You can't go below some of the stages like Yoshi's Island (Brawl or Melee), and the fact it's character-specific means it's a slight advantage to those specific characters.

BibulousDan

Smash Apprentice
um why the hell is Skyworld banned? I fail to understand why, also if Skyworld is banned and stages like Halebred arent. I really need an explaination here if someone could care to fill me in

Kit-Tsukasa

Smash Cadet
um why the hell is Skyworld banned? I fail to understand why, also if Skyworld is banned and stages like Halebred arent. I really need an explaination here if someone could care to fill me in
Sky World is easy to get trapped under the stage (ie can't go through platforms) and when the platforms are gone, you can't grab on to any edges....very non-ideal stage conditions for many characters

Halberd is flat....despite all those bombs, claw, or laser, it's not something that will kill you instantly and don't drastically affect game play.

You can also think of Sky World almost like Great Bay from Melee without a recoverable ledge 50+% of the time....really annoying. and with teching even more difficult/less responsive now, it's more difficult to tech when ricocheting off underneath those platforms.

Why is Lylat Cruise a Counter now (is it because of the stage tilting from time to time?)

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
It destroys characters that rely on the ledge to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom