• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Rayman Facebook and Twitter page post different Rayman Trophy Model, so I have 2 questions

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
You know what they say:
Hate the company, not the Character.
Basically this. Ubisoft's abandonment of the Wii U has nothing to do with Rayman, his creator or his team. The Rayman titles have supported Nintendo well anyway.

Michel Ancel has not done anything wrong to Nintendo, so he shouldn't be punished. Plus, he just quit Ubi.

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Bring the man to Nintendo. Let him create a new breed of Rayman for my playing pleasure haha.

On topic: If Rayman just has two trophies I won't even be upset. That's more than some series get.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
OK, so I can't believe I let this slip under my nose.

The guy who dropped the possible Rayman leak, is in charge of the Communications, Marketing and Partnerships at Nintendo of Canada.

PARTNERSHIPS

D

Deleted member

Basically this. Ubisoft's abandonment of the Wii U has nothing to do with Rayman, his creator or his team. The Rayman titles have supported Nintendo well anyway.

Michel Ancel has not done anything wrong to Nintendo, so he shouldn't be punished. Plus, he just quit Ubi.
Agreed, Rayman titles typically sell better on Nintendo hardware. Though, he didn't quit Ubisoft just yet, he, along with the Ubisoft Montpeller staff, are still working on Beyond Good and Evil 2. His own studio is probably more of a side thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Agreed, Rayman titles typically sell better on Nintendo hardware. Though, he didn't quit Ubisoft just yet, he, along with the Ubisoft Montpeller staff, are still working on Beyond Good and Evil 2. His own studio is probably more of a side thing.
I think his new studio is just more of a "legacy team" than anything. He still works at Ubisoft, but now he has a place he can fall back on, and a bunch of prodigies he can rely on to carry on his game design ideals.

Side note and it has nothing to do with anything, but Michel Ancel is one of my favourite game developers along with Sakurai. The man is both a genius, really zany, and really genuine and chill.

NNID
User7a1
I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Does this help, or hurt this leak.
Helps. Nintendo and Ubisoft partners on something. Nintendo gets some Rayman Legends bonus (2 demos, exclusivity in Japan, exclusive costumes) in exchange for Rayman in Smash 4. At least, that's how I understand it.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Does this help, or hurt this leak.
Help.

He's the manager of Partnerships, meaning if anyone knows about third parties in Smash outside of the dev team, it's him. He would be in charge of communications with Nintendo's partners - which would include anyone with a third party rep in Smash.

He may be at Nintendo of Canada, but the game IS being distributed there like anywhere else, so his location base makes no difference. He'd be just as informed on the Smash roster as anyone else involved in getting the game over to the West, and has likely at least seen later builds of the game.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Help.

He's the manager of Partnerships, meaning if anyone knows about third parties in Smash outside of the dev team, it's him. He would be in charge of communications with Nintendo's partners - which would include anyone with a third party rep in Smash.

He may be at Nintendo of Canada, but the game IS being distributed there like anywhere else, so his location base makes no difference. He'd be just as informed on the Smash roster as anyone else involved in getting the game over to the West, and has likely at least seen later builds of the game.
I just thought about the fact that it could mean he knew what 3rd Party characters APPEAR in the game. He's just given the info of "Here, Megaman, Sonic, Pac Man, and Ray Man will be in the game." He would know Ray Man appears [Which he IS because he's a trophy] but wouldn't know his role, therefore assuming he's a playable character. It could go either way, unless I'm mistaken.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just thought about the fact that it could mean he knew what 3rd Party characters APPEAR in the game. He's just given the info of "Here, Megaman, Sonic, Pac Man, and Ray Man will be in the game." He would know Ray Man appears [Which he IS because he's a trophy] but wouldn't know his role, therefore assuming he's a playable character. It could go either way, unless I'm mistaken.
This is speculation.

I don't understand why people are so unwilling to take this at face value, based on known facts.

A guy in the know claims Rayman is playable. He MIGHT have made a mistake, but there is no factual reason to believe that right now.

I would bet my life savings that people wouldn't be doubtful like this if he said Ridley was playable.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
This is speculation.

I don't understand why people are so unwilling to take this at face value, based on known facts.

A guy in the know claims Rayman is playable. He MIGHT have made a mistake, but there is no factual reason to believe that right now.

I would bet my life savings that people wouldn't be doubtful like this if he said Ridley was playable.
The sad thing is this is probably true.
But I don't hate Ray-Man at all. Not doubting Ridley is bias. Doubting Ray-Man is not bias if your not a Ray-Man hater.
I don't think this should be ignored at all. I think this may be true.
But that's a may.
For now, I'm on the same page that I was on the Gemastu leak, and the Palutena leak no wait I kept saying that one was wrong. One of those has a huge hole in it's credibility, the other confirmed false in a very ironic way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, if Rayman gets in as a playable character, either as a DLC character or as an unlockable, it'd be hype. However, if he's just a trophy, I'm fine either way.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The trophy sentiment is nice, but if I'm perfectly honest, it feels like a poor consolation prize to me, if that's all he ends up being.

Oldstalk

Smash Rookie
Source : Gamezone (I can't post link)
"GZ : This is probably the most important question I have to ask: Can Rayman kick Mario's ass?
Michel Ancel : Uh, maybe we'll have the answer very soon."

:warioc: Ohohoh, what a strange declaration uh ? What could it means, this is so complex :kirby2:

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Source : Gamezone (I can't post link)
"GZ : This is probably the most important question I have to ask: Can Rayman kick Mario's ***?
Michel Ancel : Uh, maybe we'll have the answer very soon."

:warioc: Ohohoh, what a strange declaration uh ? What could it means, this is so complex :kirby2:
was that before or after they announced the mario and luigi costumes in legends?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
was that before or after they announced the mario and luigi costumes in legends?
That still doesn't matter, because the Mario & Luigi costumes in Legends are not actually Mario or Luigi. Even in game, they are described as such.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well Rayman Legends is a co-operative game so I don't see how him besting Mario fits into the equation in that game.

When I hear "kick someone's ***" in relation to game characters, I think of fighting games, like Smash.

It should also be noted that Michel Ancel is a huge advocate for Rayman getting into Smash. In a Twitch Q&A with the Rayman Legends Dev Team, he said that if fans made a petition to Rayman in Smash, he would support and promote it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
“In the recent interview in Canada about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Rayman was mentioned, and this was referring to the previously announced Rayman trophy in the game.”

That's still not, "he's not playable", it's just an ambiguous dodge.

I'll still consider him a DLC candidate either way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, Rayman is still possible as a DLC character. They didn't say ''he's not playable,'' like Sonicbrawler182 said. However, I doubt such thing will happen, but if he's in, it'd be a mind-blowing addition.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If he isn't playable, we need to make a petition and get Michel Ancel senpai to notice, and he'd take it from there. :V

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The Twitter post sounds like Rayman isn't playable. If the trophy the only contribution from Ubisoft, I find it odd. What's the point of a 3rd party company contributing to Smash (especially a big name company like Ubisost) if you're only doing something small & minor like trophies.

I almost want to say Rayman could end up being playable as post-release DLC, but I'm having severe doubt that'll happen (wouldn't mind him playable though).

If I was a third party company and got the chance to get involved in a Smash game, I'd say put in one of my characters or no deal at all.
Because this is Super Smash Bros. and it'd be an honor to get him in any way possible?

Personally, I think Ubisoft sent the model to Sakurai saying something along the lines of "How does this look?" Sakurai, not completely understanding the message going from French to Japanese, thought it was the final model and posted the pic. Ubi then sent the second model, probably explaining that it wasn't quite final, and asked for a picture of the new model on the trophy stand.

Either that, or Ubi's model maker is just OCD about his work in SSB. I know I would be.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Sakurai knows Rayman is a unique character, so I'm sure he would put him in. However, unless he's like Sonic for Brawl and delays the game, I have little hope for him being in. The rest of the cast will probably be returning veterans. It's nice to have a lot of Platformer kings in Smash 4 from different companies though. Rayman would be the cherry on top.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Somebody has definitely said this by now but I'm guessing trophies move/blink etc
But the two trophies are completely different models with differing art styles (the pic Sakurai posted is a little more like Rayman in Rayman 3, the second one is like Rayman Legends).

D

Deleted member

If Rayman isn't playable, well, atleast Sakurai acknowledged him. It's still mind-blowing to see Rayman appear on Smash in any shape or form. xD

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
:mad088:iF Rayman is playable then would that mean that "Red" from Wonderful 101 would be too since Sakurai-the great showed him off in a POTD. Just a thought of my gloomy wisdom. :pow:

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but we have to see the confirmation of DLC characters first before confirming Rayman, right?

Top Bottom