• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Rayman Facebook and Twitter page post different Rayman Trophy Model, so I have 2 questions

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Before this is moved to character discussion - hear me out.

So here's the original Miiverse trophy:

And here's the one on the official Rayman Facebook and Twitter pages:

There are a number of differences between the models:

-His torso is shorter in the new one.
-His hoodie straps hang at a different angle.
-The two trophies are both being viewed from the same angle, but his feet are angled differently.
-The head looks completely different. He doesn't look stoned in the new model, and the model as a whole, especially the head, looks much more true to his Rayman Legends look.
-The colour scheme in the second photo looks closer to the way actual fighters are coloured.
-He doesn't look really shiny in the new one.
-New one is more zoomed out in terms of viewpoint.

This is really strange, and since this is the official Rayman Facebook/Twitter we're talking about, a Photoshop hoax is out of the question. I have looked over the pages, and they are just like any official promo page for a video game franchise.

For reference, here's what he looks like in Rayman Legends:

And I checked to see if it could be a 3DS version of the trophy, but:

The trophy stand looks too good in the new Rayman trophy image to be a 3DS trophy.

So I have two questions:
1) Could Rayman still be playable?
2) Assuming he is, is it possible that we are seeing the return of "Classic" and "Smash" trophies from Melee, with the Rayman trophy Sakurai posted being the "Classic" one, and the one the Rayman marketing pages posted being the "Smash" one?

In case you were unaware, the Classic versions of trophies looked really shiny, and outdated (in some cases), while the Smash ones used in game models of fighters:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
As of right now. I doubt he would be playable. Maybe it's an earlier build of the trophy.

Karonax

Zen Blue Warrior
NNID
Karonax
3DS FC
1633-4179-2591
Rayman being in at all is a mystery. This only makes it more so...

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Sakurai could have easily redid the trophy. Game is still in development.

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
I would assume that if these were classic and smash versions of trophies, Rayman would be in different poses. He's seen in the same poses here, just with variation.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Probably just a redone version. Sakurai most likely sent a version to Ubisoft, then posted a different one.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Probably just a redone version. Sakurai most likely sent a version to Ubisoft, then posted a different one.
Ubisoft made the one Sakurai posted, and the Rayman marketing pages are made by Ubisoft, so Ubisoft made both of these.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure this points to a return of the Classic and Smash variants of trophies. They both have the same pose, something that the smash trophies did not. If anything, it looks like the Pic of the Day one is an earlier model or something.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Oh, this is intriguing. Hopefully this means Rayman is playable. I doubt he is.

D

Deleted member

Could've been changed after the reveal, since the game is still under development.

Xigger

Smash Lord
The Brawl trophies used in-game models, rather than alternate models.

Even more-so, we've seen that the trophies and Amiibos are the character's main artwork, just like the trophies in Brawl.

But furthermore... I doubt Sakurai would stealthily show Rayman if he was planning to announce him later. If anything, I think he showed Rayman that day because it would only be up for a few hours.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But furthermore... I doubt Sakurai would stealthily show Rayman if he was planning to announce him later. If anything, I think he showed Rayman that day because it would only be up for a few hours.
Since when has Sakurai obeyed our expectations?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Sakurai could be throwing a curve ball right now. Or he's just being an *** again and trolling the Rayman fans.

Anyway, this is still really weird.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Since when has Sakurai obeyed our expectations?
It's more like "If it's a playable character, Sakurai does not show him/her until the confirmation." Just a pattern that's seemingly always true.

You could argue R.O.B.'s in Subspace Emissary or Pokemon in Melee's intro as a mold-breaker, but you could also argue they're generic.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's more like "If it's a playable character, Sakurai does not show him/her until the confirmation." Just a pattern that's seemingly always true.

You could argue R.O.B.'s in Subspace Emissary or Pokemon in Melee's intro as a mold-breaker, but you could also argue they're generic.
The man lied to our faces by telling us Zero Suit Samus was cut, only to prove the opposite to be true 3 seconds later. :I

So I really don't see why this situation says he isn't playable.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Ubisoft outright said he'd be appearing as a trophy, so I don't believe he's playable. Personally, I prefer the second trophy, it makes him look less like a troll and more akin to his design in older Rayman games (I played the original and loved that game).

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
At this point I don't doubt that Rayman will be playable some way, whether on the initial roster, as a time delayed DLC character for Smash 3DS that comes with Smash WiiU, or as just flat out post-release DLC.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'll be honest...I dislike the new head. His nose is slightly longer and his hair seems a tad exaggerated. He also has a more cartoonish look thanks to those bulging eyes. Maybe I'm just a massive Rayman fan, but the original image had more to it. Rayman's almost always smiling especially as of late so to see him with a different expression is refreshing. Yes, he is making a stupid face but that's pretty in-character for him. He can be serious in a fight but he's often silly, laid back and goofy, and TBH the first picture looks like he's doing a grimace, which is pretty normal of him.

The new image looks like some type of PR damage control to please those who thought it's too silly to show Rayman like that, as if they need to toe some line of acceptability. I feel like the original has the silly spirit of Rayman while this new one feels...hollow.

Soul.

His model was probably reworked. Either that, or they just made that second model to post it somewhere else.
Rayman "could" be playable, but his status at this point is a Trophy. Still, he's there in some form, that's what matters.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ubisoft outright said he'd be appearing as a trophy, so I don't believe he's playable. Personally, I prefer the second trophy, it makes him look less like a troll and more akin to his design in older Rayman games (I played the original and loved that game).
"He'll be a trophy" does not mean the same thing as "He will be a trophy, and not playable".

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Any chance of it being a dynamic animated trophy? :p

Just a thought, haha.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
The first trophy looked very glitched, the discoloured tongue and weird eyes were obvious flaws in the model. Sakurai probably was so excited about the fact ubi made their own model that he took the pic before noticing the model didn't got imported correctly. Looks like they fixed it quite quickly after noticing the faults.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Main things some of you guys are overlooking:

-UbiSoft made the first one and sent it to Sakurai, why would he randomly change the model they sent him for just a trophy?
-He just posted it the other day, do you really think there would be a newly updated image of it already?
-If it is a trophy that Sakurai just updated, why would UbiSoft even have it?

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and against my better judgement... He could very well be a hidden fighter.

If not, then he's definitely the prime candidate for first DLC fighter.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Any chance of it being a dynamic animated trophy? :p

Just a thought, haha.
Actually... that's not a bad idea. I can imagine a line of the trophies doing a simple animation, like the idols in KI:U.

Karonax

Zen Blue Warrior
NNID
Karonax
3DS FC
1633-4179-2591
My first thought is why the hair looks different between the two.

The one Sakurai posted looks like trophy hair, fairly static. Where as the the one posted by Ubisoft looks like detailed playable character hair, kind of reminds me of Marth's.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Then, can you give any indication why a newcomer (third-party at that) would be shown as a trophy before being announced?
Can you give any reason why a random third party of an unrepresented company would just be added in as a trophy?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You make decent points OP, but gosh I hope he isn't playable.
Hmm, I could make an even better case about why he could be a really good addition. Certainly much better than what anyone could make for Lucina. :troll:

But that's for another place, another time. Might make a video for that sometime.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
His eyes look more open in the second and the first looks mid-blink. Maybe some trophies are animated this time around? Wouldn't be the first animated trophy, and some like the assist trophies already have animations tagged on to them.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Can you give any reason why a random third party of an unrepresented company would just be added in as a trophy?
Then, can you give any indication why a newcomer (third-party at that) would be shown as a trophy before being announced?
Why would unplayable Rayman be a trophy in Smash? Because Smash is (increasingly) a celebration of video game history, and Rayman is a notable part of that.

Why would Sakurai show a playable character as a trophy before a reveal? Why would Sakurai show playable Rayman at all and not label him as a newcomer? Not only is there no reason, but Sakurai's normal attitude is in opposition to it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Why would unplayable Rayman be a trophy in Smash? Because Smash is (increasingly) a celebration of video game history, and Rayman is a notable part of that.

Why would Sakurai show a playable character as a trophy before a reveal? Why would Sakurai show playable Rayman at all and not label him as a newcomer? Not only is there no reason, but Sakurai's normal attitude is in opposition to it.
>Implying Sakurai has a normal, standard attitude with anything.

If it was just the one trophy, I wouldn't be too suspicious, but two? That's where things are fishy. Plus, if you need an answer - maybe he's just trying to play with us.

Sakurai made the first minute of Rosalina's trailer a red herring for two entirely different things, made us think ZSS was cut only to say otherwise three seconds later, randomly gave Sonic his own isolated trailer despite being a veteran, revealed Charizard as part of a newcomer's trailer, made people briefly think Greninja was Mewtwo, revealed the most recognisable video game character as a playable character in an unusually discrete way, randomly revealed three characters on Monday and blew the Gematsu leak to smithereens in the process.

Sakurai has been going against, and surpassing expectations left, right, and center. Rayman being a trophy at all did that. What is stopping him from breaking yet another "pattern" by revealing him as a trophy, fooling us into thinking he is not playable, only to later confirm him playable?

Again, if he will OUTRIGHT SAY a character is not playable, and then say otherwise three seconds later, he can certainly reveal Rayman as a trophy, and reveal him as a fighter later on.

Top Bottom